Chapter 2

99% Males 1% Females

            It was an awkward ride home.  Lu Han and I sat in the back and we didn’t talk the whole time.  My parents were the ones that were talking to him.

            “You’ve grown up a lot over the years, haven’t you Lu Han?” smiled Dad.  “You were so small the last time I saw you!”

            “You’re so tall and handsome.” cooed Mom.

            “Thank you so much for your complements.” smiled Lu Han. 

            “I’m sorry that we have not been able to come to Beijing these last 16 years to come see your father and you.” said Dad, regretfully.

            “Oh, no.  Please don’t say things like that.  Uncle Chung, you are so kind to keep my father and I close to your family by sending all those pictures and all.” said Lu Han, as he turned to look at me.  I completely avoided eye contact by looking out the window.  “After all, it should have been my father and my responsibility to come see your family.  You are always moving around the world.”

            “Don’t say such things, son.  It has been 16 years; there are no excuses to not visit each other.” said Dad.

            That is true.  There is no excuse, but from what Mom was saying.  Uncle Ching and Dad just became very busy with their careers: Dad with his teaching career and Uncle Ching with his oil refinery company around the world.  They really are world renowned people.

            I was too busy avoiding eye contact with Lu Han that I didn’t even realize that the car came to a stop.  “Dad, why are here?” I asked, quickly.

            I forgot that Lu Han was in the car and I turned to face him.  Lu Han had this expression on his face that was unexplainable.  Whatever was going his mind, it didn’t seem like it was a good thing and tension was building between us quickly.

            “We’re here to grab your Mom and I something.” answered Dad.

            I looked out to see the mall ahead.  “Like what?” I asked.

            “Weren’t you listening?” asked Mom.

            “Uh…  No.” I replied.

            “Well then you don’t need to know.” stated Dad.

            Really?  This is so embarrassing for my parents to be acting like this now.  But, screw it!! Since I already left a bad impression, it doesn’t matter.  I’ll just act the way I usually do.  This kid is going to see it eventually.  He is going to live with me after all.

            As soon as we entered the mall, my parents turned to me and told us to go on our own.  Then, before I could protest they’re already 100 meters away.  When did they learn how to walk so fast?  I turned to Lu Han and literally stared at him. 

            What am I going to do without my translators?!!  How am I going to survive without translation?  I can’t talk to him back in Chinese!  That’s impossible!  OMG!  What if I lose him?  My parents will kill me!

            I quickly took out my iPhone and took a picture of him.  He flashed me an annoyed look. I ignored him and I slipped my phone back into my pocket. I had to take the darn picture just in case I did lose him.  I seriously don’t want to get caught up in explaining what he was wearing, how he looks, and etc. 

            The next part was just plain AWKWARD…  We just started to walk around the mall…  And, not communicating at all.  Even if I wanted to, I didn’t know how I would ask him if he knew another language.

            All the sudden someone grabbed my arm and before I knew it, I was in a clothing store.  I glanced to my left and there was Lu Han the quality of a shirt he was looking at.  He, then, decided to look at other clothing items.

            Meanwhile I debated whether or not to follow him.  After the fact that I did took a picture of him like a freak, I decided not to.  There were a few things that I know that Mason would wear.  So, I was looking for some things that he could wear when he came back for winter break.  I decided to get him a pair of jeans since he rarely buys a new pair.

            When I approach the cashier, she gave me a cheeky smile.  And, I almost wanted to take a step back.  “Your boyfriend is pretty cute.” she commented.

            “My boyfriend?” I asked slowly.  She nodded in a direction and I turned to look.  Once again, I forgot that Lu Han was with me.  I turned back to the cashier and stated, “He’s not my boyfriend.”

            “Really?” the cashier asked, with bright eyes.  “Omo!  He’s so cute~”

            I stared at her.  “Can you ring this up?” I asked, as I lifted the pair of pants up to her eye level, which was well above my head.

            Bringing her back to reality, she replied, “Oh, of course.”

            As I was paying for the pants, I felt a presence behind me.  I looked up and noticed that the cashier literally froze in place and then I looked behind me…  There he was.

            “Are you getting something?” asked Lu Han.

            “Hm.” I replied, as I handed over money to the cashier.  I looked up at her and she was still dazed. “Excuse me?”  Nothing.  Out of frustration, I banged on the counter loudly and she finally came out of her phase. 

            “I’m so sorry.  I must have been day dreaming.” said the casier, as she eyed Lu Han the whole time.

            I coughed and replied, “Yeah.

            Lu Han and I just walked out the door, quickly.  After what happened, it seemed like we both wanted to avoid going into stores now.  I called my parents and they said that we should just meet them at the water fountain.  They will be there in 10 minutes.  As soon as we arrived at the water fountain, I got a call. 

            “Where are you?” I answered.

            “What?” asked the other end.

            “Hello?”

            “Your brother left, right?”

            “Heawoo?”

            “Well, DUH.”

            Heawoo is my best friend.  She has the biggest crush on Mason for the longest time.   It was like love at first sight for her or something. Regardless, she doesn’t always get hung up on him.  She’s have at least 2 boyfriends already.

            “Hey, Mia.  Where are you?”

            “Huh?”

            “Where are you right now?”

            “Uh-”

            “I spy Little Mia with her cute, scrawny boyfriend.”

            “What?” I turned took at Lu Han.  He was watching the crowd, but he turned to look at me when I looked his way.

            “Aww…  How cute!  I spy you two having eye contact.”

            I quickly turned to my side and found the pretty, little devil.  She was smiling as she approached Lu Han and I with her soft blonde waves bouncing.  I stood up and hugged her.  “So, you ditched your parents for a date, huh?  Now this will be fun.”

            Before we knew it, Heawoo took a picture of us.  “Hi, I’m Heawoo.” she said, as she stuck her hand out to Lu Han and winked.  My heart dropped, just as I was about to explain to her that he doesn’t know Korean.

            “My name is Lu Han.” he replied, as he shook her hand.

            Heawoo’s smile grew wider, if possible.  “So…  Do you have a brother?” she asked.

            “I’m sorry?” asked Lu Han.

            “Do you have a brother?” she repeated herself.

            “No.” he replied.

            Heawoo pouted.  “That’s too bad.  Where did you and Mia meet?”

            Lu Han turned to me, for consultation.  “Heawoo-ah, this is Lu Han.” I lamely said, as I placed my hand on his shoulder.  She nodded her head.  “And, he is my dad’s best friend’s son from Beijing.”

            After a second, she croaked, “What?”

            “He’s from Beijing.” I repeated.

            Heawoo took a long look at Lu Han then turned to me.  “Damn, I need to go vacation there for a year.” she said.

            I laughed.  “Go ahead.  The ones stopping you are probably your parents.” I said, as I sat down next to the guy.

            “I know…” sighed Heawoo.  “I should be like you and learn all the languages in the world and learn how to you know…  Woo them.” 

            She did this little body wave right in front of us and I just turned to Lu Han.  He glanced down at me.  From his facial expression, he’s either afraid or disturbed.

            I shook my head.  “No.” I said.  “You didn’t need to tell me that.”

            Heawoo smiled and quickly sat next to Lu Han.  She must had scooted really close to him because he started scooting towards me.  I didn’t want us to scoot around the water fountain like some teenagers, so I just decided to stay where I was.

            I could hear Heawoo taking in a deep breath.  “Oh, wow~  Can you tell Lu Han that he smells really, really good.” she said.  “And, that he’s not scrawny at all…  He actually have some muscle.”

            I turned to look at her.  She had herself clinging from his right arm and rested her head on his shoulder like they were a couple.  I just made a face at her and looked at Lu Han.  He was smiling. 

            He must be enjoying it if he’s smiling, I thought.

            “I don’t know how to speak in Mandarin.” I replied.  Since I was comfortable with Heawoo around, I stared into the walking crowd and started “Ni…  Ni de…

            Then, I didn’t know what to say anymore.  That was all I know….  Your…  Your what?  How do you even say scent?

            “Hey, you two!” said Mom.

            “Mrs. Chung!” said Heawoo, as she stood up quickly and startling Mom.  She was smiling.  “I didn’t know that you guys were here.”

            “We didn’t know that you were here too.” replied Dad with a laugh.

            “I was just in Seoul, shopping around when I saw these two.” said Heawoo, as she gestured to Lu Han and I.  “They’re so cute together!  Are they dating?”

            “No!” I replied.

            “What she said.” said Dad, as he nodded my way. 

            Mom smiled at Heawoo and said, “Sweetie, we’re going to head our way back home now.  Lu Han is probably jet lagged.”

            Mom, I think you will be that guy’s new hero, I thought.

 

Author’s Note:

 

            I hope you guys enjoyed another chapter!  It sure seems like Mia will be running into a lot of fun with Lu Han.  Heawoo is definitely a bold character, but she’s really not as bad.  Just consider her boldness as a sign of self confidence.

 

            Hmmm….  Wonder what will happen when school starts?

 

LOVE,

loveFORyunho