Chapter 37

99% Males 1% Females

            Lu Han was glad that Mia got one of the parts of the movie she auditioned for, but that was not what he really needed to worry about that night.  He felt uncomfortable having Mia sleep with him, so he suggested that she sleep in the guest room.  And, she didn’t seem to mind either.  After he gave her some of his clothes to sleep in, he called Kris.

            “Hello?” he asked.

            “You jacked off right after we left.” stated Lu Han, with a grin. 

            “S-Shut up, Lu Han!” yelled Kris, embarrassed.  Lu Han laughed out loud as tears filled his eyes.  After he finished laughing, Kris spoke up.  “I would like to see Mia again.”

            “No.” quickly replied Lu Han.  His tone suddenly became serious.  “I don’t want you two fooling around.”

            “Oh, come on Lu Han!” said Kris.  “You know that I’m not that type of guy!”

            “I know, but I don’t want to deal with the aftermath of your relationship.” he replied, getting irritated.  “I’d rather Mia get with some random guy than with you because you know that it will be awkward if you two broke up.”

            “Lu-” started Kris.

            “Look, Kris.” explained Lu Han.  “You are a good friend of mine and Mia is my dad’s best friend’s daughter.  If you two get together and break up-”

            “Then, it will be awkward if we meet at your dad’s events, but that doesn’t mean I have to see her whenever she’s here.” interrupted Kris.

            Lu Han swallowed hard.  “Regardless,” he repeated himself.  “I don’t want you two to get together.”

            “Why?!” asked Kris, frustrated. 

            “Because you wanted to swallow her whole earlier!” replied Lu Han.

            “You know that I’m not going to do that to her unless if we get together and become serious!” defended Kris. 

            “She’s not even your type.” stated Lu Han.

            “Yes, she is.  You know she is.” replied Kris.  “From what you tell me, I know that she’s smart, a good cook, and loving.  Not only that, but she’s short and incredibly cute.  Besides…  You even said it yourself that you’re ashamed of having Mia as your friend.  Why don’t you just hand her over to me and I will take good care of her.”

            Lu Han felt his stomach flip when Kris repeated his words.  He was joking when he said that.  “Because I’m too ashamed to acknowledge her.” He never truly meant what he said.  Lu Han had only said that get Kris off his case about not having pictures of Mia. 

            So, what if he and Mia never took pictures together?  Why does that have to play a role when it comes to being friends?  Are pictures some kind of trophy to show off to others that you’re friends with each other now?  Aren’t simply, happy memories together good enough?       Regardless, Lu Han was flabbergasted.  He didn’t know what to say anymore.  Mia is Kris’s ideal girl.  He started imagining how it would be like if they were together and he shook his head. 

            “I was joking when I said that I was ashamed of my friendship with Mia.” croaked Lu Han.

            “It didn’t sound like you were joking.” countered Kris, in a serious tone.  “Let me take care of her, Lu Han.”

            “No.” continued Lu Han.

            Kris let out a frustrated sigh on the other line.  “You’ve got to be kidding me, right?” he asked.  “Why are you being so complicated?  It’s not like you even really care for her like a friend does!”

            “I’m not being complicated!  And, you don’t know about anything; I do care for Mia!” defended Lu Han.  “I’m doing what is for the best!”

            Kris let out a long breathe.  “I don’t want to talk to you anymore.” he stated.  And, with that, he hung up on Lu Han.

            As he listened to the dial tone, he thought, Am I being reasonable? 

 

*******************

 

            I didn’t believe Lu Han when he told me that he lived in a mansion.  Well, I did after I finally got to stay in it.  His place has 35 rooms, for whatever reason, and a handful of servants.  They’re really nice and treat me with so much respect that made me felt uncomfortable.

            I was quite surprised when Jinwoo called me the other day.  He told me that I got one of the parts for the movie, so I was super excited about that.  I can get the script as soon as I get into Seoul when I go back.  I couldn’t wait to find out who my character was going to be and read the script.

            Since I wasn’t living on the Beijing Music Academy campus any more, Lu Han had to drop and pick me up every day.  None of the other apprentices have commented anything about that, so I was glad.  It was always annoying when people thought that we’re together.

            With my guzheng lessons, I became better with each passing day.  I realized that this instrument is similar to playing the piano.  But, there was something about this instrument that made me more passionate about it.  The piano is a beautiful instrument, but it could never compare to the guzheng.  There are no words that could possibly explain my feelings as I play or practice the guzheng.

            I looked up at Master Song, as I softly puck my last note.  He was smiling at me and nodded his head.  I was his only student, so he gave me all his attention and helped me whenever I had trouble.

            “Mia, you are definitely a musical talent.” he commented, as he rested his chin on his fingers.

            “What do you mean, Master?” I asked.

            “You are quite skilled.  You have only been here for 2 weeks.  I’ve taught you the basics and you’ve completely mastered them.” he said.  “I’m impressed.”

            I smiled.  “Really?” I asked.  “Will you teach me more?”

            In this apprenticeship program, you are to only be exposed to the traditional instrument to understand the basics.  There were no requirements to exceed anywhere beyond the basics.  Thus, it would have to be the student’s own interest if he/she would like to learn more.

            “Of course.” he said.  “I would love to take you under my wing and teach you with the best of my abilities, but there is one thing I would like you to do.”

            “And, what would that be Master?” I asked.

            “I would like you to take the Chinese Guzheng Proficiency Test, so then I would know where you place as a guzheng player.” he replied.

            This test places people in ranks.  If I take this test, I would know whether or not I would be considered a professional, an average player, or a beginner.  People tend to take this test when they want to perform in any traditional Chinese orchestra, so their careers depend on it.

            “You may take it whenever you are ready.  I am not giving you a time limit.” replied Master Song.  “It may take you years to feel ready, but when you do, I would like to know what your score is.  Well, what do you say Mia?”

            There wasn’t much to lose besides the hours that I will have to spend practicing.  I was barely as interested in the piano as I was with the guzheng.  The piano was something my parents had chose for me to learn to master when I was younger as a hobby.  I didn’t know what I was getting myself into as I practiced during my childhood.  I like the piano, but I wouldn’t say I love it.  I knew for sure, at that moment, that I was in love with the guzheng.

            “Yes, Master.” I replied.  “I would love to learn more and score the highest I can with that proficiency test.”

            Master Song smiled and nodded his head slowly.  “Good.” he said, softly.  “Now let me teach you a new plucking technique.”

 

 

            I was smiling when I got out of my lesson.  It felt good to know that I was progressing with my skills.  I walked into the parking lot and was surprised to see Kris.  He was standing in front of a white BMW.  He flashed a smile when he saw me.  I felt myself blush as I wanted to run away.  Lu Han and I forgot to grab some makeup things for me the other day, so I was makeup-less and that made me self conscious about myself.

            “Mia!” he said.

            I approached him, slowly.  “Why are you here?” I asked.

            “Lu Han asked me to pick you up.” replied Kris.  “He’s going to be working late today.”

            “Really?” I asked, surprised.  “He didn’t say anything about that to me this morning.”

            “Oh, you know Lu Han…  He’s not really good at communicating sometimes.” shrugged Kris, as he met me half way.  “Let me help you with that.”

            He took my hardshell guzheng case off of me and popped his trunk open.  He gently placed it in there and quickly went to open the passenger’s door for me.  I let out a laugh as I stepped into his car.

            “Thank you.” I said.

            “Of course.” smiled Kris, as he closed the door.

            As soon as he slipped into the car, he the engine and the heater.  Then, he took off his leather gloves.  He looked down at my bare hands and took them in his.  “They’re so cold!”  He started to breathe on my frozen fingers and rubbing them in between his big, warm hands.

            I laughed, as Kris scolded me.  “Mia!  Where are your gloves?!  It’s freezing cold!” he said, as my hands finally defrosted.

            “I don’t have gloves.  Lu Han and I forgot them the other day when we went shopping.” I replied, as Kris pulled out of the parking lot.

            “Really?” he asked.  “Lu Han can be forgetful sometimes, so why don’t I take you to the store to get you some gloves and whatever you two didn’t get the other day.”

            I glanced down at my watch.  It was already 4:30 PM.  Dinner at the Ching’s was at 6:30.  Since we were just grabbing a pair of gloves, I thought that it would be quick.  “Sure.” I replied, with a smile.

            We went to a mall and Kris led me to a department store.  I let out a breath of relief.  If I ever needed anything else, it’s all in one place and don’t have to go from store to store.  Darn Lu Han.  He made it so complicated to shop, going to every other store and all.

            I looked at the size of the glove that I was holding.  A size small.  I quickly slipped it on my hand and it was a perfect fit.  The quality of the material was good and it was warm.  I nodded my head as I looked up at Kris.  He was smiling at me.  I could tell that he was observing me. 

            Kris quickly pulled the gloves I was holding out of my hands.  “I’ll be paying for this and anything that you need to pick up.” he said.  I opened my mouth to say something, but he stopped me.  “I’ll bill Lu Han later.”

            I started laughing and then nodded my head.  If you want to pay, then go ahead, I thought.

            “So, why did Lu Han decided to give you a wardrobe makeover?” asked Kris, looking at me from head to toe.

            I looked at myself and it looked like I walked out of a fashion magazine shoot or something.  I didn’t pay attention to what I was wearing because it was actually comfortable and that’s all that matters.

            “He threw my suitcase into the creek near where I was staying at.” I replied, getting irritated again.

            Stupid Lu Han, I thought.

            “Really?” asked Kris, surprised.  “It’s not like him to do something like that to a lady.”

            I scoffed.  “Lu Han never treats me like a lady.” I said.  “The world would probably freeze over before he does.”

            Kris let out a laugh.  “You guys act like kids when you guys are together.” he commented.  “Especially Lu Han…”

            I let out a sigh as I turned to walk towards the cashier.  I was about to say something when I got distracted by the makeup counter.  I haven’t had a proper skincare routine for 2 days and there I was standing in front of Kris without makeup.  Damn, I was mad at Lu Han.

            “Hi.  Can I get some help?” I heard Kris said.

            I looked up and saw a saleswoman standing in front of me.  “How may I help you, miss?” she asked, with a smile.

            I might as well take advantage of this while I can…, I heard myself thought.  I mean, when will I ever get a tall, handsome guy to pay for everythingthat I want?  And, then, charge that bastard Lu Han later…

            I took advantage of Kris’s offer and literally went crazy.  I could have bought the entire beauty section of the store and he would have said “Yes.”  And, he was y as hell too.  I loved the way he was standing by my side with his smirk.  It didn’t help at all that he was wearing a suit, which made him even hotter.  If I could, I would have ripped his clothes off but kept myself calm.

            Anyways, it was a good thing that I didn’t lose myself with the shopping.  Kris and I arrived at the Ching mansion right when Uncle Ching got home.  He had thanked Kris for picking me up in place of Lu Han and asked him to stay for dinner.  Kris agreed with a nod and I became ecstatic inside.

            Yay!  Kris is going to be staying for dinner~, I thought as I smiled.

 

Author’s Note:

            I actually didn’t really plan the story to head this way…  So, I hope all turns out well?

            Hmmm…  Lu Han was trying to Kris for sure.

LOVE,

loveFORyunho