CHAPTER 3

Love Of A Bully..

I walked to the gates and waited for Daehyun, like how I would back in middle school. He would always catch me at the gates, since it made things a whole lot easier. I stood there for 30 minutes and he still wasn’t here.

 

“Yah,” a voice called out. I turned around to see Woohyun. He asked, “What are you doing here? Not going home yet?”

 

I shook my head and answered, “I’m waiting for somebody.” I started playing with my iPod and totally did not pay attention to his presence. He snatched my iPod and started to play with it as well. With my earphones on, he kept switching songs. While I was trying to take it back from him, someone stepped in and took the iPod from him. Daehyun stared at Woohyun with a dark expression.

 

“Let’s go, Yoonmi,” Daehyun mumbled, “And have a good evening, sunbae.”

 

Daehyun grabbed my hand as we walked away. I smiled, “Thank you, oppa.” He shook his head and softened, “It’s nothing. It is something a boyfriend should do. You know… to protect you.”

 

“But,” He questioned, “That was the school kingka, right? What does he have to do with you?”

 

“Well…” I laughed sheepishly as I showed him the paper bag and explained whatever that has happened to Daehyun. He laughed and ruffled my hair, “That is so like my girl, honestly.” I blushed a little and slapped his arm, “I’m not always that clumsy.”

 

Honestly, Daehyun was really cold to anybody else apart from me. He would talk to them, but the conversations were usually kept to the minimum. We got together after a school night in middle school. He always said that I was different from the other girls he knew, even though I wouldn’t dare to say that it was a lie.

 

“Oppa,” I started, “Do you remember how we started talking?” He held my hand tighter and nodded, “Of course. Why would I forget. It was an exceptionally special day for me, you know?”

It was an annual school night and most of the students in school dressed up really nicely. Whilst girls dressed up like Disney princesses, the guys were really neat and handsome. Although I was also wearing a dress, I didn’t own any heels. As a result, I turned up in flats. At the same time, I didn’t have contacts. So, I turned up with my thick glasses.

 

When I made my entrance to the event, everyone was throwing judgy looks at me and started gossiping. They were obviously mocking me for my choice of clothes. Feeling extremely self-conscious, I ended up being pretty left out at the event. Not like I had friends in school anyway.

 

I went to the buffet line, and as I was taking my food, a guy came banging into me. The food landed on my dress and the guy sneered when he saw that. “Well, I’m sorry. I didn’t do this on purpose.” I shook my head and told him it was okay. The onlookers were all just laughing at how pathetic I looked.

 

I looked up at the viewing galleries for the kingkas and saw this guy staring at me with a cold expression plastered on his face. He seemed to have a slight hint of curiosity on his face, but it could have been a mistake on my end – especially when I’m just wearing spectacles and I couldn’t really see that far.

 

After leaving the ballroom, I went straight for the restroom. It was lucky that I prepared an extra set of clothes, albeit the normal ones. Not dresses or anything. It was just a pair of jeans with a hoodie. When I was done changing, I went to one of the balconies near the ballroom.

 

As I started thinking about what happened earlier, I couldn’t help feeling tears well up in my eyes. I smiled and acted like I was fine, but honestly, I was really devastated and upset on the inside. I just did not want to come across as being weak to them. That would only encourage them to bully me even further. My legs gave way and I crumbled to the floor as I cried. ‘Just because I don’t dress up like them does not make me a monster or a misfit. Why do they treat me like I’m not a human?’

 

“Are you okay?” An unfamiliar voice asked. I looked over and got a bit shocked when I saw the guy from the viewing gallery. I wiped away my tears and stood up, “Yeah… Thanks for asking.”

 

He pulled me in for a small hug, and patted my head, “That’s a lie. You aren’t okay. You just don’t want to come across as being weak.”

 

“Just cry it out,” he added, “It would really help. Trust me, Yoonmi.”

 

I started to cry even harder than I did when I was alone. But more than that, I was pretty surprised that he actually knew my name and how I actually felt.

 

“And that’s how we got closer and got together,” Daehyun softened and pulled me in for a hug. I giggled and nodded, “Yeah. I honestly couldn’t imagine having someone like you either.”

 

“Well, don’t imagine because it’s really real,” He pulled away and stared at me before diving in for a kiss on my forehead, “Go on in. I will see you tomorrow.”