21

The New Kid

 

Gah! I'm so nervous. Even thought this isn't a date but this is still a big event for me. I couldn't concentrate on my school work because I was thinking about Jonghyun. And now I'm here with him at this cafe. He just left to go to the bathroom so I quickly checked my hair and breath. I have to make sure I look nice.

I shoved my pocket mirror into my purse and took a sip of my coffee. Don't mess this up I told myself.

Jonghyun came back and I laughed awkwardly.

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing" I said quickly. I picked up the menu to try and avoid the awkward situation. I mentally slapped myself for being an idiot.

"Can I ask you something?"

I looked up from the menu and nodded. I wonder what he wants to ask me. "Why did you move to Seoul?"

Wow. I actually thought he was going to ask something along the lines of "Will you go to prom with me?" Or something like that.

"My mom and my dad got divorced. I always closer to my mom than my dad, so I chose to live with my mom. My dad never really paid me any attention so it wasnt a big deal for me. And before you know it, we moved here" I explained.

"Sounds exactly like my Dad" he said. "My Dad is always worrying about work that he doesn't bother to call and check on me. And my mother is starting to act the same"

Honestly, I kind of feel sorry him. Firstly, his mom is really mean and rude. Secondly, his dad isn't around. I wonder what life was like for him when he was a kid. I can't even imagine...

I could tell he didn't want to talk about the subject anymore. "Try not to worry so much, I'm sure things will work out"

I'm horrible at giving advice, but I felt as if I needed to say something else. He smiled a little and I felt accomplished, I actually made him smile.

"You remind me of a dinosaur" I laughed. I stopped laughing when I noticed that he wasn't laughing.

He looked at me and I cleared my throat awkwardly. "I mean...uh.."

"You should see your face right now" he smirked. "You're so red...are you embarrassed?"

I quickly shook my head.

I could tell that he didn't believe me but instead he just smirked and stared at me. Was there something on face? "What?"

He snapped out of his thoughts. "You remind me of a panda"

"A panda?" I asked in disbelief. "What about a kitten or chipmunk?"

He chuckled and I glared at him. "What's so funny?"

 

"Those animals are cute"

"What are you trying to say!?"

"Nothing" he mumbled before sipping his drink.

I can't believe he just called me ugly. And I can't believe he did it in such a sneaky manner. I hope he doesn't think I'm ugly.

There was an awkward silence again. I didn't look up at him until he asked me did I have a date for prom. Was he going to ask me? Please ask me! Please ask me! Please ask me I pleaded in my head. "Nope, what about you?"

He shook his head. "So many girls have asked me out that I can't choose. There is this girl named Park Bom, she asked me out and she really cute. Do you know her?"

I felt like I was stabbed a thousand times in the heart. I can't believe I thought he was going to ask me.

"Yeah" I replied. I was really pissed but I'm very good at pretending like I'm alright.

He thought about something and began to smile. "Maybe I'll go with her"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Whatever you want"

If all he wanted was to talk to me about other girls I'm going to leave. I'm stupid for even coming with him. It isn't fair how someone else always ends up with him. Just for once can something go as planned for me.

I was about to leave until he began to speak. "But there is this one girl that I like. I would like to ask her but I don't know. You want to know something weird?"

No not really I thought to myself. But of course I nodded.

"I'm scared to ask her out" he laughed nervously.

Wait! Jonghyun is scared to ask a girl out to prom? She must be amazing to be able to make him shy. If I ever find out who she is, I have to give her a hand clap I didn't think anyone could make him like that. "Are you serious?"

He nodded. "I know it's weird but its true. I want to ask her before its too late but something is holding me back"

"Well" I began. "Just ask her out, the only thing she can say is yes or no...that's it. Also, you don't want someone else to get her before you do so just hurry and get it over with. And if you don't you'll probably regret it."

I can't believe what I just said actually made sense. I feel like a counselor or something. Maybe I should start giving advice more often.

"You actually sounded smart"

"I was thinking the same thing"

 

We both laughed and I felt my heart flutter. Its amazing how one person could make me feel like this? I took another sip of coffee and looked up at him and he was looking at me. I quickly looked down at the table to avoid him.

 

"Is it good?" He asked

I gave him the thumbs up. "It's really good"

"Do you want another one?"

I didn't want him to pay for it, so I nicely declined his offer. He wouldn't take no for answer so I told him I'll pay it myself. He didn't like that idea either so I got to the register before he could. While waiting in line I turned to see Jonghyun's mother walking through the door.

Our eyes locked for a moment and I was praying that she wouldn't notice me. She abruptly stopped. "You again"

"Where's Jonghyun?" She snapped. 

I wonder what makes her thinks that I know where he is. Before I could reply to her she snapped at me again. "Because of you h left home and hasn't been back since"

"No, I left because of you" I heard Jonghyun say. What the hell was going on?

"Look Jonghyun" she said in an irritated tone. "I don't have time for this, I have someone I want you to meet right now and its really important"

Jonghyun refused to go. Him and his mom continued to argue and I was worried that we were going to get kicked out for making a disturbance.

"Jonghyun just go" I blurted out. "It must be really important and don't worry I can walk home, my house isn't far"

He was going to refuse but I gave him a reassuring smile. "Hurry"

"I'll call you later, okay?"

I nodded and then he left. I let out a long sigh and ordered my coffee. Something is always coming in between us whenever we're together.