The Decision

Break of a Lifetime

"So glad this is over.  I am in major need of this break," I say to myself. As I walk back to my dorm room, I bump into Lauren, one of my best friends here on campus. Lauren looked at me and smiled. "Hey, how was your test, Ann? Did you ace it?"

 

I look at her then begin walking back to my room. "I failed it by one friggin question. 10 questions and I miss three," I say as I walk back to my room.  Lauren starts to follow me. "Hey, you'll do better next time. And that isn't even that bad of a grade." I opened my door, threw my bag on the ground, and fell on my bed, with my face in the pillows.

 

Tears start coming out of my eyes as I start crying into my pillow. "I studied so hard and I fail the quiz by one question." My cries begin to get louder and louder and my words became muffled. Lauren came over and sat next to me on my bed. She caressed my back. "Ann, you're gonna make it through. You're a nursing major, it's gonna get harder, and you've already made it this far. You're gonna pass, then you're gonna graduate and become the best nurse ever, while I become the best fashion designer ever. I'll even introduce you to Seungri when I become the fashion designer for YG Entertainment." I start to laugh as I sit up and wipe my tears.

 

"You just want to put Seungri with me so you don't have to keep calling him oppa.  Just don't forget to invite me to you and G-Dragon's wedding," I say back between my sniffling. I smile and look at her. "Thanks Lauren. I'm just glad break is here. Not that it's really a break. I have to study for a patho/pharm exam, nutrition exam, and write two papers. Happy spring break to me."
Lauren suddenly got up and started pacing back and forth in my room. I look at her weirdly. "You know, if you wanna go walk, we could go to the track at the rec you know."

 

She then stops pacing and looks right at me.

 

"Let's go to South Korea for break."
I look at her like she done just lost her mind. "Are you high? Did you talk to Alex? I told you to stay away from him. I think he's the reason for that drug bust a couple of weeks ago." Lauren starts laughing and shakes her head. "No I did not get anything from Alex. And I'm being serious here. Let's go to South Korea. Like you said, it's break and we both need it. This financial accounting ain't no joke, you know."

 

I continue to stare at her, "But I have work to do over break. Did you not here me?"
"Ann," Lauren started, "we basically have a month's break with Easter and Spring break being combined. And plus, I have work to do to. I gotta study and do homework. It won't be all play and no work. We'll get our work done and enjoy South Korea at the same time."
"Well what about money? And a place to stay? And tickets? My parents don't even know. I don't know about this Lauren."

 

"Hey, come on. You said your aunt is a travel agent. There's our discount hotel right there. And I have airline miles so our tickets will be very cheap if anything. Plus, we'll be careful in what we spend.  Maybe we can get a temporary job. Aaaaannndd, you know it'll be my 20th birthday during break."

 

"Yes, Lauren, I mean unnie. I know it's you're birthday," I say while giggling. She then gives me this 'I'm gonna kill you look' before saying, "I'm not old! I'm only four months older than you!"
"Whatever you say unnie," I reply back as I try to stifle my laughing. She rolls her eyes before saying, "Yeah, Yeah. Anyways, back to the topic of discussion. What do you say?'
I look back at her as I contemplate this spontaneous idea. She looks at me with her pleading face. "Please. Just think, we can meet a bae and fall in love or get scouted by an idol agency. Come on. And I know our parents will say yes.  You need this break, Ann. You've been stressing like crazy. Just think, you can meet EXO or even BTS.  Who knows, you and Suga can meet and you guys can be rocks with each other."

 

I burst out laughing.  As I start to regain my composure, I start to think about it. I really do need a break. And break can't be spent by studying every single minute. Plus, I've never been out of the United States. I look back at Lauren. "Ok. Let's do it."

 

After a minute went by, we both jumped up and started to squeal. "We're going to South Korea," we both yell out of excitement. I look at my posters hanging on the walls of my room, Got7, Infinite, and the Wonder Girls. Maybe Lauren is right. Maybe something amazing will happen on this trip. Maybe this is exactly what I need.

 

This will be the best spring break ever.