Twenty One

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HOOT - SNSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3dvVaAH5I

Mingyu’s friends knew nothing about shopping. Most of their clothes were bought by their mom’s and never in a day in their lives had they done their own laundry. You were surprised upon hearing this, but didn’t judge the boys one bit. It must be nice to not be an adult and have to pay for their own bills. You couldn’t remember when the last time you weren’t stressed over money and utility bills—it’s been way too long.

As the five of you shopped around the mall, nothing caught your interest.

You loved dresses, but haven’t had time to pamper yourself up lately.

“What about this flowery one? I can definitely see you in it,” suggested Hoshi. Oh Hoshi, he was such a cute kid. Throughout the whole time, he kept picking at any dress he saw and pointing them out to you. You appreciated his help, and flashed a kind smile his way many times, but shook your head to every dress. Most of the ones Hoshi chose were too tacky for your liking. Even this flowery one he was pointing to now was… tacky. The dress was too yellow and full of random patterns, plus the dress flared right out like a pencil skirt. You were more of a thigh high tight-fit dress kind of girl.

Your motto was: If you weren’t showing legs, why wear a dress at all?

You may be under a budget, but you considered yourself to be one of the few people who had pretty good taste in fashion and knew what kind of dress you were trying to find. Even if you were going for something cheap, it had to look chic and y.

Vernon looked bored half the time, and spoke only when he thought necessary. “This dress is so ugly, it matches her skin tone.” He pointed out when S.Coupe suggested a cocktail turtleneck dress. Mingyu and Hoshi had to agree on that one. Even though Vernon and Hoshi didn’t give out many great choices either, S.Coupe’s… choice in fashion was… a bit questionable.

“Does this guy even know what dresses even look like?” asked Vernon at one point, when S.Coupe brought you a long baseball t-shirt.

You agreed with Vernon on that one, which seemed to make the young boy happy.

Mingyu, however, took the dress hunt as a great challenge. He was quiet most of the time, his eyes searching for that perfect dress that would suit you. You had the type of face that could match anything you wore, but he knew somewhere out here lays the dress of your dreams. He made sure that he was going to be the one to find it so that you could scratch his head and tell him he did a good job. He wasn’t a dog, but he enjoyed it when you played with his hair.

It felt nice.

Plus, he was really curious to see how you would look in the perfect dress. You were already beautiful as you were, so he couldn’t imagine how amazing you’d look once you were in the ‘perfect dress’.

Mingyu, who was so focused on finding the dress, didn’t say anything until an hour in of walking around the mall. “What colour dress are you going for anyway?” It was nicer to narrow it down into colours since Hoshi kept picking out bright neon colours while Vernon and S.Coupe chose darker shades like wine and grape.

“Grey or maybe black.” You liked the idea of a black dress, but the expression on Mingyu’s face made you frown.

The blue hair prince shook his head, “You wear way too much black already, noona.” His eyes flickering up and down your dark wardrobe and then sighing. “It’s like your life is a funeral or something.” He pressed a palm to his cheek, clucking his tongue dramatically as he eyed you.

You reached out and punched him in the arm, scoffing, “And look at you. Who wears just a sweater during the winter?”

Mingyu raised his hands up in the air defensively, taking one step back before you could blow up on him. “Hey, I’m just trying to help you dress hunt here lady. Sheesh, so full of sass.” 

“Did someone say full of ?” blurted Vernon, out of nowhere. You blinked at the kid, taking a few steps back until you bumped into Mingyu. Your eyes darted upwards to him, screaming for help, only to have him push you in front of him. You were scowling, thinking that Mingyu was on Vernon’s evil side when you realized what he was doing. You were only in front of him so Mingyu could cover your back in case Vernon lowered his eyes elsewhere.

“Don’t worry, I got your back, noona. Literally,” whispered Mingyu with a chortle. Then he glowered at Vernon, “Enough of your jokes today man. We’re here on serious business, so if you want to play around do it later.”

Vernon guffawed to himself then, and that was the end of that. It didn’t seem like Mingyu was in the mood for jokes today, so Vernon decided to tone it down before he was actually going to get beat up.

The four of you guys walked everywhere in the mall. At one point Hoshi’s stomach started to growl. You thought it would stop after the first growl, but when it came a third time, you couldn’t stand it any longer. No one had heard but you, and when you heard the last round of growls, you paused making Mingyu walk right into you. He threw a look at you, “Why did you stop so suddenly? I could’ve toppled over you!”

Instead of replying to Mingyu, your attention was on Hoshi. “Do you want to stop for a bit and grab a bite at the food court?”

Hoshi bit his lip, thinking for a minute before coming to a decision. He shook his head, “No, no, it’s fine. I don’t have any money on me anyway, I’ll just wait until I get home.” Your eyes grew worried, seeing the way he was fidgeting with his hands like a cat caught in the rain. There was something about Hoshi, maybe it was his child-like enthusiasm or how he got excited and shy over the small things, which your noona-radar and want to protect him.

Vernon and S.Coupe who had noticed that the three of you had stopped, glanced back to see what was wrong.

“Are you guys alright?” asked S.Coupe.

You nodded his way, “We’re good, just going to head to the food court first if that’s good with you?”

Hoshi whipped his head up when he heard that. He was about to stop you all, when Vernon fist pumped his hand high up in the air.

Vernon brightened right up. “Food? I’m there. Let’s see who could get there first!” He shot off like a human rocket, not bothering to let you guys know where the meet up spot was. S.Coupe sighed heavily, “I’m going to have to chase after him, aren’t I?”

Mingyu laughed, “Text Hoshi when you guys got your food.” S.Coupe grinned, saluting you three with his fingers before he ran after Vernon.

Hoshi’s jaw fell slack. Just as you were about to walk off, Hoshi held you back nervously and spoke in what was almost a whisper, “I… just said I don’t have any money.”

You snorted, “So? We’re still going to get food. I’m hungry, you’re hungry and I’m sure the rest of the boys are hungry.”

“I’m not really—” Mingyu was about to say, until you pinched him from the back, making him howl in pain from the sudden pain. Befuddled by the random attack, he glared at you for answers.

“You’re hungry now,” you instructed flatly. Judging by the way your eyes darted back and forth, Mingyu was sure you were telling him a hidden message but he didn’t know what you wanted. Finally, you mouthed, ‘Just go along with me you fool’.

After several reads, Mingyu finally caught on. He crossed his arms and rolled his eyes as he mumbled, “Could’ve have done it in a more reasonable way.” He was expecting an answer from you, but when he looked again, he saw that you were walking away with Hoshi. You had an arm draped over the young boy’s shoulder as you assured him, “it’s okay, don’t worry, Mingyu will spot us on the food today since he’s a working man now, right?” You stole a glimpse back at him, winking.

Mingyu’s jaw fell to the ground. How could someone so beautiful be so deadly? *This woman is so rude, watch when we get home later!* He growled, half in jealousy at how close you were to Hoshi and half in astonishment that he was basically being ditched by his friends.

You didn’t stop to wait for Mingyu as you dragged Hoshi to the food court.

---

 “When you said you wanted to eat, I didn’t think you’d want to eat so damn lavishly woman,” sneered Mingyu, eyeing you and Hoshi darkly, as the two of you devoured down a party tray of sushi. You offered some to S.Coupe and Vernon, but sushi wasn’t really their thing. They were more of fried chicken and burgers kind of guys like Mingyu.

Mingyu who on the other hand was sulking at the price he had paid for that party tray. Who knew sushi was so goddamn expensive? It’s even more expensive than Popeyes!!! It was a good thing that this week was Mingyu’s paycheque or else he wouldn’t have been able to afford this.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter