Sixteen

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOU DON'T KNOW ME - SOYU& BROTHER SU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHob4mwh88

----

The next day you woke up with a pounding headache.

You didn’t remember how you got home or how you managed to wake up on the floor. The only thing you were certain about was the fact that this was all thanks to Kim Mingyu. *That friggen brat dared to challenge me to drink and I stupidly agreed. Damnit Shin Hari, learn to back down for once and not get carried away!* You groaned loudly in regret and then pushed yourself off the floor. You were never going to take him to a pojangmacha ever again, knowing what had happened last night, you were not planning to have history repeat itself.

The clock on the wall said 8:35AM, and you had two more hours before class began. You slapped a palm over your head and collapsed onto your bed. You rubbed your temples roughly. It didn’t help ease the hangover nor did it make you feel better. Mumbling regrets to yourself, you grabbed the water bottle from your night stand because you were absolutely parched and felt as if you had been stranded in a desert island all your life. You chugged half of the bottle and laid back down.

You tried to go back to sleep by counting sheeps, singing lullabies but your mind wouldn’t let you drift away. It wanted you to suffer.

Annoyed, you finally got up from your bed to get ready for school. Even though you still had a long time before class, you might as well go early so you could go study in the library. You grabbed some fresh new pair of clothes and headed out your room when you noticed that there was a Polaroid photo of Mingyu and your drunken, sleeping figure attached to the door. Your eyes bulged out and you let out a loud mortified scream as you gaped at the photo.

Mingyu was holding up a peace sign with amiable grin on his face while behind him, you could clearly see yourself completely knocked out. Your arm was over half your face and one eye looked like it was half open as you slept. Your hair was all over your face and you had one leg on the floor while the rest of your body was on the mattress. On the white space of the Polaroid photo, there was a message on it:

Noona, you are the prettiest when you sleep!!

-Your Royal Prince, Kim Mingyu =)

“What the hell?! When did he do this?” You turned bright red and ripped the photo off from the door as you ogled over it. You were feeling in between 'how ing embarassing are you Hari' and 'i ing hate you Mingyu' . Knowing Mingyu, he probably had a copy of his own somewhere in case you ever pissed him off and he wanted to blackmail you. You groaned at the thought of it. You studied the photo with narrowed eyes, wondering how you could have slept through all of this. The more you looked at the photo the more your anger went away. You started to laugh. You had to admit, you looked pretty stupid and funny. As embarrassing as the photo was, you couldn’t help but crack up at the photo of how silly you looked and happy HE was. *Ahh… good one Prince Mingyu… I’ll get you back for this. Expect payback!* You chuckled one last time and slipped the photo into your drawer and got ready for school.

---

For the most part of the day, you did your work diligently in class and focused only on taking notes instead of scrolling through your phone. You had given up on waiting for a thank you, because that’s how Kai had always been anyways. You were sure that when he wasn’t so busy, he will call you out and personally apologize himself. He was your best friend, and you should know him best and what a douchebag he could be. You were not going to let your childish feelings get the best out of you and let it sour up your friendship.

So what if Kai wants to be with Hayoung even though she was with Youngjae? So what if he get’s his heartbroken by her by the end of it? You were going to be there for him regardless of what happened. That’s what best friends do for each other, even when they aren’t making the greatest of decisions. When s going to hit the fan, you were going to be there to clean it up. That was your job as Kai’s devoted best friend, right?

*Right!* You told yourself.

You had a three hour break and your last class was at 6pm today. It was a total drag to have a three hour break, because during that time you could have just finished school and went straight to work to make money. But of course, school was always in the way.

You decided to grab lunch and do some sketches while you waited for class to start. As you left your lecture hall and headed out to the food building, you noticed someone standing by the side of the food building. The person was panting really hard and there were bruises all of his face. As you came closer to the person, you realized that you knew this person. Your heart felt like it was suddenly being weighed down by an invisible anchor. 

“Lee Wongeun-ssi?” You said out loud as you approached the person, half in shock at the shape he was in and half in surprise to see that he was really here, on your campus. What were the friggen chances?

Wongeun looked up at the voice and then glanced away in shame, knowing that he had been caught by someone. Although he wasn’t exactly trying to be ‘incognito’ in the first place, he was still hoping he wouldn't have bumped into some random stranger who knew of him. But then he did a double look at the person who had caught him and realized it was, you! His expression softened and he looked as if he was going to lose his any second.

In two strides, Wongeun had his arms wrapped around you and you felt his body fall against you. Your hands instinctively reached out to hold him.

“Hari? Hari, is this really you?” He pulled back, his eyes were taking you in and his mind spun dizzily at the fact he had found you. He looked so shocked to see that you were in front of him. He gently rubbed the side of your cheek with his palms, smiling tenderly as he always did in the past. “Hari... You haven’t changed one bit.”

You almost forgot to breathe as you stared back at him with wide eyes. It was like the picture perfect image of seeing a real life ghost. *I never… thought I was going to see you again.*

---

Lee Wongeun had been someone you had dated briefly back in Sophomore year of high school. It’s true that Kai had always been your first love, but Wongeun was your first boyfriend. He wasn’t someone you were in love with, or ever genuinely liked. But he was someone you deeply cared about, even if he was someone you hadn’t come into contact with in a long time. Something Kai brought up constantly because he was so -hurt, and still is, that you two broke up.

In fact, the reason why you and him had even dated in the start was because of Kai. As twisted as that sounded, Wongeun had been a hyung that Kai had looked up to for a long time. He was a hyung that Kai placed above higher than anyone you ever knew, someone who was not a friend, but a real life brother that he never had.

You had met Wongeun at Kai’s dance recital after party. It was an unfortunate meeting because you had spilled some kimchi over his uniform and felt so bad for what had happened. Even though you knew it was probably going to stain, you started to clean up the mess with a napkin anyways, blubbering nonsensical apologies that Wongeun couldn’t understand. He kept telling you it was okay, and tried to even joke about it. You were so abashed by the situation that you ended up leaving early that night with Kris by your side. (Mainly because Hayoung was laughing at your misery and that you had embarrassed yourself in front of all of Kai’s wealthy socialite friends.)

Afterwards, Wongeun had told Kai about how he thought you were cute and asked if you were single. Eventually, Kai played the role of being cupid and tried to set you two up on multiple occasions. At first you were shocked by the sudden news, because everyone knew who Lee Wongeun was. He was Pledis High’s number one student and well loved by all the teachers and students. Why was Pledis High’s Number One trying to get at you? What on earth does a Senior year student see in a sophomore year delinquent?? You were Shin Hari, an orphan, a starving artist and the dummy of the school.

It made no sense to you why he should like you in the first place.

But Kai tried so hard to get you two together, and now that you think back to it, you should’ve just told Kai from the start that he was the one you wanted, not Wongeun, because at least then you wouldn’t have had broken Wongeun’s heart. But Kai was persistent, and you knew how much he cherished Wongeun as a hyung, so after the hundredth time of Kai pleading, you accepted his request to go on the blind dates.

“Why not? Maybe I’ll be able to finally get over Kai and fall in love with someone who actually likes me back, just like how it is in the dramas,” you had told yourself, once upon a time ago.

It turns out that Wongeun was an amazing boyfriend who gave you everything he had. He was always buying you food, offering to take you home, stood by your side regardless of any situation and whenever Hayoung stirred up drama and gossip around you, he was always there to speak up in your defense and even fought with Kai several times because of that. The love that Wongeun felt for you though… was unfortunately not met by you. As hard as you tried to make yourself fall in love with him, your heart was beating for only Kai. Sure Wongeun was physically attractive and was extremely smart, but emotionally you couldn't see yourself attached to him. Even though you were the one for him, he wasn’t the one for you.

Throughout the duration of your relationship, you felt as though you were living a lie. Whenever he kissed you, you didn’t feel butterflies or any sort of happiness towards his kisses. Instead, you felt burdened by his actions and wanted him to go away.

In the end, you called it off and told him the truth. Because Wongeun had become someone you trusted and even though you two only dated for eight months, those eight months proved to you how wonderful Wongeun was as a person and showed how much he had cared for you. You cried as you told him about your feelings about Kai, and how you really wished you didn’t because then you could love a wonderful person like him instead. Wongeun was heartbroken of course, but supported your decision entirely. He told you that your secret was safe with him and that was it. That was the last time you had spoken to Wongeun because a weak later after your break up, he transferred to a different city and that was the end of your friendship with Wongeun.

It did sting to see him leave without a goodbye, but you knew more than anyone else did that it was hard for him to see you.

Even though it had been years since your break up, every day you still think of the last thing that Wongeun had said to you before he left:

“When you love someone, you can only try to understand things from their view. You can’t make them change their mind or force them to feel what you feel.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter