Twenty Six

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

LIONHEART - SNSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z10yoSmQC7Y

Today had been a good day.

Classes went by smoothly, you finished all of your assignments and even received a B+ on a term paper that you worked extremely hard on. To commemorate that mark, you decided to stop by the store to pick up some beer and chicken to celebrate. Sure Mingyu didn’t drink alcohol, but just because he couldn’t, doesn’t mean you couldn’t either.

You were his friend, not his role model. If somehow he had a sip of it, it was not your fault because you didn’t make him do anything. Except maybe eat the chicken. 

Smiling at your happy pick up, you hopped off the bus and headed down the dusty, narrow path that took you home. As you approached closer and closer to your house, you noticed a crowd of elders surrounding the side entrance of it. Puzzled by what was going on, you picked up your pace and soon recognized that these elders were none other than your neighbours!

One elder, Grandma Moon noticed you from the corner of her eyes and spun around. She waved you over, with a bright, shining smile on her face. “Hari-ah, look! You have got some fine looking men on your yard fighting for your love.”

“Ehhh?” You tilted your head slightly at what you had just heard. Was there too much earwax in your ears? Did you hear that wrong?

*Fine looking men on MY yard? Impossible. I don’t even know any good looking guys!* You blinked a couple of times, confused and bewildered at the idea of two great looking men fighting across your yard for your love.

You pictured them both half , wearing nothing but the roman armour with the red cape tied onto their necks as they danced around the ground trying to pin the other one down with a sword. It was a strange image to envision, but that was honestly the first thing you thought of.

“I will NOT tell you who I am until YOU tell me who YOU are!” shouted an angry voice.

Your head whipped to the direction of the loud, booming voice and instantly, your eyes turned into slits. *Mingyu.* For god sakes, he had been living quietly for so long so why now? It’s not like him to argue with someone, let alone fight—

“Excuse me? I already told you that I am an old friend of the person who lives here.”

“What’s the person’s name, huh? Tell me the person’s name and maybe I would believe you!”

“You could be a ed up guy for all I know. Why would I risk my friends safety in order to answer to someone I don’t know?”

Oh no.

Oh no no no.

.

This was not supposed to happen right now.

Not today, anything but today.

In the midst of the heated argument Mingyu was having with this stranger, he spots you and gasps so loudly that you swore he did it on purpose. His long fingers extends towards you as he shouts, “OH! HARI!” Everyone’s eyes followed his.

You quickly spun around, rummaging your mind with ideas on how to escape with an awkward look on your face. *No, no. Mingyu, please. No. You don’t see me. Shh! Stop, please!*

“SHIN HARI GET OVER HERE THIS INSTANT! DON’T YOU DARE TURN AWAY!”

Well, .

One person is clearly very angry.

You shut your eyes, cursing to yourself for coming home so early. If you had just lingered at school a little bit more, maybe you would have missed all of this. Damn it.

“Hari, get over here right now before I make an even bigger scene.”

You let out a deep sigh, knowing that Wongeun would say something like that. You faced them again, and this time, your entire face was flushed red in embarassment. God, you hated being treated like a kid. But you had no choice, what if Wongeun told Kris? No… no, what if he told Kai about this? You shyly looked around the crowd of nosy people and then bowed fervently, “Sorry about the commotion, it won’t happen again.”

“Please, what commotion? We don’t mind anything,” winked one of the ladies.

“If you kids need anything, give Grandma Choi a call, I’ll be sure to make you guys food,” cooed a lady with a short white perm.

“Us too. Hari, don’t forget to come to us!” added in another. You didn’t even know who she was, but she patted your before you left and made a whistle noise. Ew?

Once the crowd of elders dispersed and gone on home, you were left with two extremely upset boys. You gulped, eyeing the two of them back and forth before letting your shoulders deflate. Both had on the same expression: Who is he to you? And why the heck is he here?

Although you had never believed in cheating and thought of it as morally wrong, you somehow felt as though you were suddenly in the cheaters shoe. In truth, you didn’t cheat on them but at the same time you weren’t really planning on having them meet up either. It had never crossed your mind to let Mingyu meet any of your friends, and now that he was right in the face of your ex-boyfriend, you found it hard to breathe. Nothing made sense anymore, not even the words in your brain.

After a moment, you finally gathered enough courage to ask:

“How… about we go in first? The chicken is going to get cold if we stay out here for so long.” You giggled nervously to ease off the strained atmosphere, but neither of them laughed along with you. They both had pursed lips and crossed arms as they stared at you. You’d think that they were twins imitating each other, if not for the piercing glares that they had for one another.

Oh lord.

Sighing, you opened the door, this was going to be a loooong night ahead.

There goes celebrating.

Wongeun walked in first, while Mingyu waited for you to go in.

‘Why didn’t you hide from him?!’ You mouthed, irritation was painted all over your face.

Mingyu, sensitive to what was already happening, mouths back, ‘I stand by my choices!’

You threw him a ‘what the does that even mean’ look and then faked a smile when you heard Wongeun say, “Give me the chicken and beer. You’re going to trip taking off your shoes if you hold onto it.”

When Wongeun didn’t do his infamous smirks, you knew you were in for it now.

When he had his back turned to place the food and drinks down on the table, you faced Mingyu with a dreaded expression as you repeatedly sliced your hand across your neck.

‘We’re in deep . Like. Really deep .’ you mouthed to him one last time before Wongeun finally took hold of your attention.

The moment of truth has now come.

---

Mingyu stared at the foreign male as if he was his opponent as they sat in the kitchen, facing each other eating chicken. Unhappiness was etched all over the young Prince’s face as he sulked in dismay at how close Hari was to this ‘Wongeun’ guy. She was literally sitting side by side him – they were basically thigh to thigh, shoulder to shoulder, head to head type of close. He took a big bite out of his chicken as he glared at the unwelcomed guest.

In truth, it was Mingyu’s fault that the argument broke out but that was only because Wongeun hadn’t stepped down.

Mingyu had tried to walk away from the guy once he realized that Wongeun wasn’t going to stop bombarding him with questions. He even followed Mingyu a few steps, which was what set him off. It was already bad enough that they had been standing in the cold for the last twenty minutes, what more did the guy want from him?

As the guy poured out his questions, in the Prince’s brain, he was trying to think of alternatives as to how he could detour the guy. Compelling him to walk away and go home was Mingyu’s first thought. It was easy, a quick process that would’ve avoided all confrontations. If Mingyu had compelled Wongeun, neither of them would be sitting at this small round table right now, eating Popeyes under heavy waters of tension. However, it wasn’t usual for someone to visit Hari.

As much as Mingyu wanted the guy to go, behind all of the anger and irritation, he knew that there must have been a reason as to why Wongeon had visited. Whatever the reason was, Mingyu was hoping the reason behind his visit would help land him a new piece of information that he could add to his puzzle piece. Mingyu had tried to be nice, tried to walk away, but this guy was persistent and as much as he hated to admit it, this guy clearly cared a hell lot for Hari.

Once their voices rose, people started to come and they got carried away with each other’s egos. Mingyu wasn’t the type to back down to challenges, and judging from Wongeun, he wasn’t the type to just idly sit by either. They ended up colliding heads and that’s when Hari came in. It was so annoying to see him call after her, and seeing her listen to him.

Although Mingyu was hiding his feelings, on the inside he felt an overwhelming amount of jealousy that he couldn’t kick away. It latched onto him like mold, and made him feel like a horrible green eyed monster. He was never one to be jealous before, so why was he su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter