Forty

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AOA - MOYA 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7hqUhdycQk

“Oh don’t look so sad! Smile, just like you always do kiddo! Everyone loves MT’s.” you prodded Mingyu once you locked the door to the house. Mingyu flashed you a dark look for a brief second at the mention of the word ‘kiddo’ before letting his shoulders droop down low dismally, there was no point in arguing today. He was on his way to school with a duffel bag slung over one arm while the other arm was occupied by your hand. It had taken him a great deal of effort to finally sign the papers and let his friends and teachers know that he was coming on the trip, albeit his lack of interest in the trip to begin with. If it wasn’t for Joshua’s nagging words, he would have let the opportunity to go camping pass on by since he was much happier staying by Hari’s side than anywhere else.

However, with the warning that Joshua was clearly giving him, Mingyu had no choice but to simply up his ego and go along with whatever the fates were trying to toss at him. If this was a way to stay by Hari’s side longer, then so be it. He would go on this stupid camping trip, have the worst time of his life AND continue to let his feelings for Hari grow more and more. Once he succumbed to his feelings, Mingyu had no plans of ever reverting back to the way things were before. It simply was not possible to fall out of love with Hari when they had only written one paragraph in their story. There were so many things he wanted to do with her, and no one can take that away from him. Not even his parents.

“Quit smiling like that, it doesn’t make me feel any better leaving you when you look like you are dying to get rid of me,” frowned Mingyu, his voice tinged with a slight edge of saltiness.

Seeing how betrayed and hurt he looked, you started to crack up in amusement. Ever since your feelings for Mingyu started to grow more and more, you began to see him in a different light. Back then whenever he acted like this or even gave you the slightest bit of aegyo, your gut would always recoil in disgust. Nowadays you couldn’t help but find yourself laughing and admiring at how inexplicably adorable he looked when his lips would frown or the way his eyes would twinkle whenever he scowled.

Giving his hand a reassuring squeeze as you two walked side by side each other, you said, “Don’t be silly. It’s just… You are the first person I’ve met whose this against going to an MT. Most people would be overjoyed to be skipping school.”

“I don’t even need the school credits, noona. My only reason for being here was to observe and study Earthlings and how they live, not go on a damn mountain trip with people I don’t even know. If I had wanted to go on a MT, I would have just climbed the mountains myself and stayed there if that was my reason for being sent here. Although if you think about it now…” he cleared his throat, a small smile was beginning to brighten up his features, “I think my reason for staying has become a whole different one.”

You laughed, playfully shoving him to the side. “You are gross and cheesy, stop it.”

“You love it! Don’t deny my darling ways, noona!” Wrapping an arm around your shoulder, he gave it a tender squeeze without letting go. The two of you stood at the bus stop, chit chatting while waiting for the bus to arrive. A chilly breeze blew by, and you shivered slightly. Mingyu caught sight of it right away and held you closely to his chest, rubbing your shoulder from time to time to make sure you don’t get cold in your leather jacket.

Glancing up at the tall alien with the blue hair and dark brown eyes, you felt your heart skip a beat at the amount of luck the fates had given you by granting you this gift in the form of Mingyu come into your life. Just when you thought things were spiraling downwards with your friendship with Kai, Mingyu came into your heart and became a pillar that kept you up despite the amount of times you had been knocked over.

“If you keep on staring at me like that, you might as well send a kiss my way,” said Mingyu, his lips and puckering them out.

A second too soon, the bus had come and foiled Mingyu’s plan. Laughing, you wiggled out his arms and skipped onto the bus with an extra salty Mingyu trailing behind you.

You rode with Mingyu all the way to school today, watching as his expression grow darker by the minute. He was the first person whose ever looked so appalled going on a school trip. During your high school days, even you had a lot of fun going on MT’s. Since the boys had your back, no one dared to mess with you during the trip. The only time you had to worry about being bullied was when it was time to sleep, but even during lights out, the boys still had your back. Chanyeol had made sure that once the teachers were asleep, him and Xiumin drew the curtains closed and rolled up their sleeping bags beneath your bunk and slept there for the night until dawn broke out. When the first break of light came and the girls were still asleep, the boys would creep back to their room before they were discovered in the girls dorm.

Lucky for you, none of the girls could say anything nor spread any rumours because they had all idolized Chanyeol and Xiumin, and if they were to spread the rumours, right away their good reputation with the boys would be over. Chanyeol’s dad was known to be quite the figure, so if any of the girls had chosen to run their mouths, Chanyeol would know who to get in trouble.

“Someone once told me that if you are going to keep frowning, it might stay there forever,” you chided when you saw his frown had deepened entirely to the point it looked almost engraved in his young features.

“Noona…” said Mingyu, turning towards you. He held your hand in his as he let out a dreary sigh, his thumb running over your skin gently as he thought over how he should phrase his words. “You know I hate it when you call me a kid, but right now in your eyes… I am probably acting like one. Which I don’t blame you for… but I just want you to know that I’m only acting this way because I don’t want to leave you. I know it’s only for a night, but the thought of you being by yourself really makes me… worried and sad? I hate you being alone.”

“Mingyu, I’ve been living alone for a long time now, so you don’t have to worry about me. I’m able to fend for myself you know, I don’t need someone to watch over me,” you assured him.

“Although you say that, it still doesn’t seem to ease my heart at all…” said Mingyu, his voice trailing off into a whisper.

“Nonsense!” You shrugged and crossed your arms, giving him the strong and confident look you always gave Kai, Chanyeol and Kris whenever they were being concerned over nothing. “I’ve been fighting my battles since I was five, Mingyu. I’ve been soldiering it out for these long years, so don’t you worry about me while your away because I am going to be totally fine. I appreciate your concerns, but right now I need you to focus on your MT. Consider this a mini vacation, away from me, away from all that you were forced to observe and just enjoy… MT’s are fun!”

“I don’t want to be away from you, noona…”

You rolled your eyes with a smile, what a dramatic baby. “You’re literally going to be gone one night. What? You going to miss me that much?”

Without warning, Mingyu swooped in and placed a tender kiss on your lips. The kiss felt urgent though there was a burst of intimacy that ran down your spine as you felt his warm palm press against your cheek. Pulling away sooner than you had wanted, Mingyu nodded his head earnestly as he searched your eyes, trying to find whatever treasure that was concealed behind them. “Of course. I am going to miss you, a lot. I’m already depressed when I’m away from you for a few hours, how am I supposed to live through a night?”

On the outside your cheeks had turned red from the unexpected kiss, but on the inside you felt your insides slowly melting away. *, when you look at me like that how am I supposed to let you go like this?!* For a split second, the thought of asking him to cancel out on his trip ran through your mind. However, when the system called out his stop, you broke free from your thoughts and gave yourself a good internal scolding for having second thoughts.

“You’ll have fun! Come on, get up and go before you miss your stop,” you gave him an encouraging fist pump.

Rolling his eyes dramatically, Mingyu waved his hand dismissively. “Whatever, I know your plans. I hope you have a rotten time without me, woman!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter