Twelve

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BOYFRIEND - GOOD NIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp1ueAAnNH0

---

At the library you and Mingyu were coming up with things to put on his resume. He pulled out the same documents from his highly advanced watch that the royal elders had used to get him into Pledis High, and you used that information to add onto his resume. Resumes were easy to make, as long as the person knew what to put on it. Mingyu, on the other hand, had never written a resume or a cover letter his whole life. Which was why, three hours later, the two of you were able to finish the first section of his resume. All you had left was the hobbies section, which Mingyu had to bull.

But if he bull, he had to be spot on about his bull. Employers can easily smell a lie from a mile away, especially when you want to work in retail.

“What do you like to do?” you asked him, hands on the keyboard ready to type down what he had to say at any moment.

Mingyu narrowed his eyes in thought, “Hmm… does playing pranks count?”

You rolled your eyes and laughed, “Mingyu, tell me. Do you think when people get scanned on Planet Diamond, ‘playing pranks’ would be something an employer would find valuable in their company?”

“Well,” said Mingyu, playing with your phone in his hands. “We don’t actually have companies on Planet Diamond. We have banks of course, but it’s all in the Palace. You either live outside in the villages, or you work inside the Palace.”

“I don’t get it,” you scratched your head. It didn’t dawn to you until now how little you knew about Planet Diamond. All you knew about the little planet was that Mingyu was a Prince from the planet and it was extremely cold there. “Mingyu... What’s the working industry like up there? Are the occupations a lot like here on Earth or…. ?” You trailed off into your sentence because you didn't know where exactly you were going with the question. 

Mingyu opened his mouth, wanting to say something but quickly closed it. You couldn’t understand his action, but judging from the look in his eyes, he didn’t want to say too much about his secret. Instead he cleared his throat and pouted, his childish expression returning. “I can’t focus on two things. I’ll tell you more about it next time, right now we have got to work on this resume so I can get my chicken!”

You frowned slightly and then turned away. You thought over your conversation and mumbled to yourself subconsciously, “Hmm... Playing pranks is a hobby, but it should not be a hobby that you should put on your resume. Unless you want to be a clown...”

Mingyu threw a hard look at you and then frowned. He didn't understand why people couldn't just get scanned, it would be a lot easier to hire people through reading a scan than going through a bunch of paper files. “That sounds so lame. Why is it so hard to get hired here on earth?” complained Mingyu as he slapped his face in misery. The two of you remained quiet for a minute until Mingyu’s face lit up with an idea. He looked at you with hopeful eyes, “How about magic tricks? I like magic tricks.”

You bit your lip in guilt, feeling like the bad guy in the conversation for dampening his mood. Mingyu didn’t need to hear your answer to know what it was. His shoulders sank down, and you can see him frowning in sadness. You felt bad for him and tried to brighten up his mood, “ it, let’s just bull.” You typed down three different hobbies: Writing, Reading and Photography. Mingyu, who watched you type it all down, leaned forward on the screen to read the bolded letters and then snapped his fingers. He smiled widely, “Photography! Why didn’t I think of that?”

You pressed ‘print 10 copies’ and then logged off the computer. As the two of you walked over to the printer, you blinked at Mingyu, “You like photography?”

Mingyu nodded his head ardently, his eyes sparkling with elation, “Yeah, it’s really cool. I mean, I never got the chance to get into it but… I see the scientists taking pictures of all the stars and planets at night and the outcome is really amazing.”

The way he talked about photography reminded you of the time when you realized you wanted to pursue Art as your career. Your eyes softened and you gazed at him with a kind smile. “You know, I always tell this to people, and maybe you’ll hear me say it again in the future, but it’s never too late to try something. If you are interested in it, go for it. Don’t let the measurements of time limit you from the things that interests you.”

The papers have all been printed by now, but the two of you stayed still gazing at each other. Mingyu had on an admiring smile as he stared at you. This had been the first time anybody, let alone you had ever said anything encouraging to him. Whenever he told the Royal elders about what he liked doing, they always told him to dream bigger, find something that would benefit him as the crown Prince instead of playing tricks all day. It was refreshing to hear something new for a change.

You broke away from the staring contest first and noticed the pages have all been printed first, “Oooh! Done!” You stacked the papers together and neatly put them in a folder. (At least Mingyu brought a spare folder.) Once they were all in, you stuffed it in his backpack and then started laughing surprisingly, “Plus, if you do get into photography, this lie would not technically be a lie then.”            

There was a strange, unfamiliar warmth flooding across his chest as he listened to you laugh. *What… is this feeling?* Before he could understand what he was feeling, you zipped up his backpack.

“You ready for some chicken wangs?” you asked, shoving your hands in your pockets.

Mingyu held your phone out towards you with a smirk on his face, “You mean chicken wings?”

You beamed gratefully and slipped it inside your pocket, “Nope, chicken wangs, that’s how people say it in the south.” You winked at him, making Mingyu’s heart give an unexpected flutter. He didn’t know what exactly he was feeling, but he liked how his stomach tickled every time he looked at you. As you two left the library, Mingyu had the urge to sling his arm over your neck and drag you next to him. He glanced down at you, and then shrugged. *Oh what the hell.*

In a split second, you were right next to Mingyu with his arm over your neck, holding you closely next to his body. Your eyes widened in surprise and you threw a look at him.

Mingyu peeked down and grinned sweetly at you, a little too sweetly. “Noona, you are going to pay for my wangs, right?”

“I thought you had your own money…” You said apprehensively, trying to push him away from you. But Mingyu had a firm hold on you, as if he had no idea what the term ‘personal space’ meant.

Instead of answering, Mingyu was looking down at you with a strange look on his face. He had this tenderness in his eyes that made your legs turn into mush the longer you stared into it, making you squeal at the romantic shift in the atmosphere between you two. *What is this boy doing?! Is he messing with me?* You directed your eyes elsewhere when you felt the blood rush to your cheeks.

Mingyu’s lips quivered into a smile and he gently tilted his head against yours. “Thanks noona.”

“For what?! I didn’t say I was going to buy you chicken,” You almost squeaked.

You felt his entire body move as he shrugged nonchalantly, “Not that… I mean for helping me today. And eating chicken with me.”

*Aish, this boy really knows how to grind my gears.* You gritted your teeth in annoyance and then looked at Mingyu, and then looked at your shoes and then back at Mingyu until finally, you sighed out in defeat. *Honestly, Shin Hari, you are too nice. One day you are just going to get run over for how kind you are.* You mentally scolded yourself and then dramatically rolled your eyes and grumbled, “Fine, I’ll buy you your damn meal but your better not bother me for the rest of the week, Kim Mingyu.”

---

In the middle of your meal with Mingyu, you received a call from Kai. Suddenly, the elated mood you had been in these past couple of hours went away and was replaced with a certain bitterness that clung to your tongue. 

You stared at the name for several seconds, debating whether or not to take the call. Mingyu stopped talking in the middle of his sentence and asked, “Why aren’t you picking up the call?”

You could feel your eyes turning red all again. Instead of telling Mingyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter