Nineteen

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SHOOTING STAR - HANBYUL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6fR2oAT6E0

It was raining down in Seoul today. You had just finished your shift at Kyoto’s Noodle Bar.

After a hectic weekend of finishing up last minute assignments and getting your portfolio together, it felt nice being back to work. Even if you had boss who was a total jerk, but hey, it was nice to actually talk back to an adult for once. If you had a dime for every time you had to bite down your tongue because one of your Professors pissed you off, you might actually be free of your debt.

With February just days away, more and more couples were beginning to flood the restaurant with their date nights. Rijin hated seeing couples because it was a reminder that she was still alone, but you loved seeing young teenage couples walk in. They’re faces were all lit up and full of first love joys, their gestures awkward, their smiles shy, and their eyes full of patience; it was truly a sight to see. You made sure to make them laugh and let them get the most comfortable experience they could get while you were serving them.

You knew more than anyone how awkward a first date could be if it doesn’t go as planned. Especially when you want to take your date to a restaurant and you have a not so pleasant visit thanks to your server.

Most of your customers grant you large tips, while most do not. But it wasn’t really expected. Teenagers, more than anyone, need the money most. It’s not like their parents were willing to give them money all the time. Money is scarce for a teenager when they’re in the early stages of dating. For them, they gotta make do with what they got.

“Unnie, your service is jjang!” beamed one girl as she held onto her boyfriends arm.

You winked at the young girl, patting her on the head. You didn’t know her age, but she looked as though she was fresh out of middle school. Damn. Were kids dating this early nowadays? “Thank you for choosing Kyoto’s Noodle bar tonight my little lovelies, we will see you next time!”

The young teenage couple gave you a quick bow and wave before giggling out of the restaurant. You shook your head with a smile before you began to clear up their table. Rijin came by your side and snorted as she helped you wipe the table down, “When will it be my turn to find love? My eggs will dry up by the time I get married.”

You glanced around the restaurant, hoping no one heard before looking back at Rijin. You tried not to laugh, but you did anyways when you saw Rijin chortle at your reaction. “Unnie, don’t you worry. You will find love soon enough. The New Year has come and that means love will find its way to you this year.”

“What are you? Some kind of psychic now?” Rijin joked, putting the dirty bowls onto your tray. You grabbed it from her and gently bumped hips with Rijin, “I’m not a psychic, but I am a firm believer in hope. I’m sure your soul mate is looking hard for you, just as you are looking hard for him… Right?” You raised an eyebrow at Rijin, hinting the secret inside joke that only the two of you knew.

Rijin turned the look by wiggling her eyebrows.

The two of you broke out into laughter, when suddenly, the sound of your boss clearing his throat made you stop.

The two of you stopped laughing. Rijin went to take someone’s order while you went to the back to return the dirty trays. Even when you were in the back, you could still feel your Boss’s heated glare burning into the back of your skull.

---

At the end of your shift, it started raining.

Rijin had to go home earlier tonight because her young brother had just been discharged from the military. By the time she said her goodbyes and left, that’s when it had started to pour. It wasn’t so bad during that time, so you were hoping that by the time you closed the shop and cleaned it down, the rain would slow down. However, to your luck, it didn’t. 

*I knew I shouldn’t have worn my leather jacket today. It’s so Hari of me to just leave the house without checking the weather or wearing a proper sweater without a hoodie.* You sighed, staring miserably out the glass window while you wiped down your last table. You had tried to clean as slow as possible, hoping that the rain would pass, but still… it didn’t.

There was no way of getting out of this one now. You had to go home, or else your boss was going to kick you out.

There was a sad look on your face as you threw on your leather jacket. 

You must have made your distaste in the rain pretty apparent because one of the chefs offered to give you a ride home, but you shook your head and declined the offer. He was already driving three of your other co-workers home; there was no need to add another person to that list. Plus, he lived on the other side of town, so that was already a far enough drive for him. The last thing you had wanted him to do was to take time out of his sleeping hours to take you home. “No worries Lee, I got this. Shin Hari isn’t afraid of no rain!”

Lee gave you a worried look, but you forced on a smile so bright that even he couldn’t refuse.

“Alright, Hari, but if the buses get delayed or something happens, make sure to give me or Rijin a call,” said Lee. You smiled in promise and watched Lee leave without a couple of your other coworkers. You bid goodnight to all of them, each of them wishing you a safe trip home.

Before you left, you bowed goodbye to your Boss who mistakenly thought you were asking him for a ride home.

“If you want a ride, go call yourself a taxi because I am not going to give you one,” your Boss stated as he took out cash from the till. He didn't even look up at you as he spoke. You raised your eyebrow, “I was just saying… bye?”

“Oh,” your boss smirked, “Okay so what are you still doing standing here? Go home, Hari.”

You held back the urge to punch him in the face and turned around. It took every ounce of your strength to not run back and drop kick that . *Jerk face, I hope you slip on ice and lose your memory. At least then, maybe someone nicer can take over grandma Park's restaurant.*

You locked up the door behind you, bracing the cold rain that was about to pelt down on your body when suddenly a blue umbrella hovered over you. You glanced up at the unfamiliar blue umbrella and then turned your head to the direction of the owner of it. To your pleasant surprise (and very much relief) it was Mingyu who had saved your day.

There was a sincere look in his eyes as he beamed down at you. “I figured you would need this since all you sport around all day is your leather jacket and jeans.”

You smiled back, grateful for his genuine act of kindness. “You came all the way here to give me this umbrella?”

“Correction.” He pointed with an index finger up. “I came here to pick you up and give you this.” He took off his backpack and then ped it. Inside, you could see that he had a blanket scarf inside. It wasn’t yours, and it wasn’t his. In fact, it looked brand new.

Your eyes rounded in surprise as you stared at the burgundy wool blanket scarf. Mingyu pulled it out and carefully draped it over your shoulders. In your head, you were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter