Twenty

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MOONLIGHT - GOT7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbolGlQdxY8

You find yourself sitting inside a café in Myeondeong. You had your headphones in your ears while you sketched and a cup of warm coffee by your side. It was 11AM on this Sunday morning, too early for most people to rise up and grab desserts and bubble tea so you were the only person in the café. Kai had called you a couple of days ago requesting to meet up. Through the phone call, he knew that you were annoyed and extremely upset with his lack of presence.

“Hari-ah, don’t be mad at me. I’ll explain everything to you when I see you, okay?” promised Kai. He sounded sincere, but you were too aggravated with him to really fathom his sincerity.

“How can I not be mad at you, Kai? You got drunk, you called me up, I take you home, and I don’t hear from you in almost 3 weeks. I don’t expect a thank you, but it would be nice to let me know you’re alive or something. Instead, I see you on Instagram, half a world away in ing EDC with Hayoung. What is wrong with you?” Your voice came out angrier than you intended but you didn’t apologize for it. You were sick and tired of apologizing to people for no good reason.

Instead of defending himself through the phone, Kai calmly replied, “I will tell you everything when I see you. Okay? Just meet me at our annual spot, please Hari...”

How annoying was he?

But you, being the er for Kai, caved in and agreed with a haughty huff.

And here you were now, sitting in this café, waiting on the guy who arranged the time of meeting yet was late. It was twenty minutes past 11 when Kai finally showed up.

You pretended not to notice him when he pulled out the seat and sat down in front of you. It wasn’t until his hands fell over yours, stopping you from sketching, when you paused what you were doing and looked up. With a not so pleased expression on your face, you slid your hand out from under his and grabbed your cup of coffee. You took a sip of it with bored eyes as you looked at him.

Albeit your ‘whatever’ expression, on the inside your body was reacting differently. You had missed Kai so much throughout these weeks, seeing him in front of you left your body feel an unshakeable tremble. You wanted to reach out and his cheek, feel his hair against your fingers, and give him the biggest hug you could ever give anyone. But you resisted your feelings, swallowing down all of your pride as it went down with the cold coffee, and glared at him.

Kai, however, knew all the tricks on how to make you happy again.

He tilted his head to the side and gave you a peace sign, “Smile Hari!”

You rolled your eyes and set your cup of coffee to the side. Even though he looked so goddamn cute, you tried not to let your expression crack. Trying to seem unfazed by his action, you shut your sketchbook and crossed your arms on top of it. “What do you want from my life, Kai?”

Kai straightened up, sensing that this time you being mad at him was a little different from other times. The smile on his face faded as his expression grew worried at your cold demeanour. He tried to reach out and hold your hands, but you pulled your hands away in time.

Stunned by how mean you were being, Kai let out a sigh in defeat. “Okay, I deserve this. First I was MIA and then now I'm late for our date. I'm blacklisted aren't I?” He was trying to crack a joke, but your expression remained solid. Kai's smile fell as he studied you.

“Yeah you do deserve this treatment and probably a punch in the face, too,” you added bitterly.

Kai’s frown deepened after hearing that. He didn’t order anything, nor did he take a look at the menu. Instead, his entire attention was on you as his slim fingers absentmindedly played with each other. After a moment of gathering his thoughts on what he wanted to say, Kai finally spoke. “For helping me last time… thank you, Hari. I know I’m pretty late on the gratitude, but I just want you to know that I really appreciate what you did. For paying for my drinks, I will definitely give you the money back for that.”

You opened your mouth to say that it wasn’t about the money, it was about your friendship, but Kai continued to speak.

“And I should have given you a call, let you know about EDC, but I didn’t and that is ultimately again, my fault for not being considerate about your feelings…” His expression turned guilty as he lowered his head. “But it was all a rush, Hari. I didn't find enough time to get back to you and when I returned home, I caught the cold Hayoung had. It was a crazy few weeks, I couldn't even get my mind wrapped around that I had gone off to Vegas like that.”

The corners of your lips dragged downwards as you glared at him. *Didn't have enough time to tell me? A text only takes two seconds to send. Is this punk forreal right now?!* You could feel the blazing fire raging inside of you and the fact that Kai still didn't get why you were upset really pissed you off. Not to mention, he was still bringing up the witches name. The least he could do was avoid any sentences with her name in it, but nope. With Kai... a task like that was imossible to do. In the back of your head, you were having a mini argument with yourself. A part of you wanted to let him know that you had heard the conversation between him and Hayoung, and the other part told you to just let it go. Problems were easier when they weren’t brought up, but the difference between you and people like that, is that you didn’t like sweeping things under the rug and forgetting about it. You liked talking about it, and wanting to understand why things have to be the way they were.

At that moment, one of the girls who worked at the café came by your table and asked if you two needed anything. Neither of you wanted anything, so she left one menu by the table in case you guys decided to get desserts and left with a kind smile. Although it had been a quick glance, you saw that she flashed you a sympathetic look, as if to say, ‘Sorry for your break up’. A flare of anger rose up in your chest. What nerve she has to think you are getting dumped!

When she was back at the counter, you snarled under your breath at her ignorance and looked right at Kai with annoyed eyes.

“Kai, I’m going to be real with you,” you blurted out. You were never one to beat around the bush, so you figured it was better to say it now than never. Kai lifted his head, his eyes turning round in curiosity at what you had to say. “That day when you got drunk, a couple of hours prior, you accidentally sent a call my way and I overheard your conversation with Hayoung.”

It took a long second for Kai to realize what conversation you were talking about. It wasn’t until he remembered looking back at his call log in Vegas and seeing that he had sent a call to you and not remembering how that happened when he realized…  what it actually meant. He never had any intention of anyone hearing that conversation, because in his part, it was both a shame and an embarrassment for pleading with Hayoung to leave Youngjae. His expression suddenly fell, and you could see in the way he was sitting that his shoulders had turned rigid. “You weren’t supposed to hear that… oh god, I am so embarrassed… Did you hear everything…?”

“Most of it,” you replied, frowning at the memory. “And to be honest with you, if I can be honest… I don’t think you should have gone to EDC with Hayoung. I don’t know the details about EDC or how it happened, but I know that she has a boyfriend and I know that you need to get your priorities straightened out and by going to EDC with her… that wasn’t a smart choice.”

Kai rubbed his palm over his face in stress, mumbling through his palms, “Hari… you know more than anyone how much I care about Hayoung. Even though she doesn’t feel the same way as I do, I still care about her. I didn’t go to EDC to have fun; I went there to make sure she was safe. You know how EDC is like, with all those kids on drugs and —”

“There’s a reason why she has a boyfriend, Kai. It isn’t your job to take care of her, it’s his.”

“But she’s still my best friend.” He stood by his decision.

You pursed your lips, feeling the faintest stems of tears welling up in your eyes. “And what am I? You say that I am your best friend but not once did you ever look my way. I know you are in love with her… but you can’t tell me that we are both your best friends, if you only look out for her. Friendship doesn’t work that way, Kai. It’s a two person thing, not one person trying to make the effort.”

Kai peeled his hands away from his face, staring at you with hurt on his face. You never told him how you felt when it came to Hayoung. He knew well enough that your relationship with Hayoung wasn’t great, but he didn’t realize that his attention on Hayoung w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter