Seventeen

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
쿵쿵쿵 - KIM MIN SEUNG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfYINH5jPb0

The rest of the week flew by and before you knew it, it was Saturday. You had decided to take the weekend off from work to focus on some last minute assignments. You were going crazy thinking about your final term paper, which included a ten page essay, three page bibliography with separate points explaining each website and article you had used, and your art portfolio that you had to get together before March.

You holed yourself up in your room the moment you woke up, filling your body with only water and the darkness of your room. You didn’t want to draw open the curtains, because if you did, that meant that sunlight was going to seep through between the sheets and it might tempt you to wander away outside. Knowing you, Shin Hari (the Queen of procrastination), that option was very likely to happen, considering your bad habit of walking away when it comes to writing essays.

There are people in this world who are born mathematicians, scientists, writers, medical engineers and as they grow up, they build their skills and even excel in others, but you just so happen to fall under the Dramatic Arts section. Writing, math, any sciences, those were things you had never had interest in. It was too boring, too repetitive and too infinite. Words and numbers, it all goes on and on—never stopping. But painting? Drawing? Sketching? Acting? That’s the world in which you belonged in.

No matter how many people tried to bring you down during high school, calling you names and saying you were too dumb to understand real elites for studying REAL work, you fought back and stood up for what you liked. Just because you like art, doesn’t mean you are dumb for doing so. Art takes skill just like every other subject. People will always find something you like and nit-pick you for it, but you have to learn to not let it affect you. es will be es, that’s what you always reminded yourself.

Oops, you are getting side tracked now.

*No, I must not resist the temptations of the outside world. I have to focus!* You mentally scolded yourself as you sat at your desk top table, typing away nonsense. Literally nonsense. For the past few minutes you were typing random keys without thinking too clearly about what you were doing. You highlighted the unknown sentence you were trying to form and deleted it.

*Oh…. My god… why is this happening to me… NOW!?* You ran your fingers through your short hair in a crazy manner while scowling. You were sure you looked like . You hadn’t brushed your teeth, let alone bothered to comb your hair this morning. All you could think about was getting your term paper done as soon as possible before the weekend ended. Why was University so stressful? Why do Professors make you write essays? Wouldn’t a live-recorded video of your project be a better assignment than reading some damn essays? Sure, essays help you prove points but wouldn’t a video of all the information you pieced together be much more interesting? Those were the kind of thoughts that came across your mind while you did your term paper.

Meanwhile on the other side of your door, Mingyu was in the kitchen having a quick breakfast consisting of bread and apples before heading out. There wasn’t really anything in the fridge, just slices of bread and leftover Chinese food from the night before, and that was it. He had to make due with what was left. *Maybe I should stop by the grocery store on my way home tonight… her fridge looks a lot emptier than I first got here.* Mingyu thought, but then he realized he didn’t know what Hari liked to eat and what she might be allergic to. Plus, in the last few weeks, he had spent way too much money on fried chicken.

Who knew using up so much money would all add up? Especially, on fried chicken? Why couldn’t chicken be free? People on Earth would be a lot happier that way.

Mingyu decided that groceries were better off for Hari to deal with.

In the meantime, he had more important things to think about.

Like work. *Ugh… just thinking about that word terrifies me.* Mingyu shuddered.

S.Coupe’s uncle owned a mechanic shop and offered to hire Mingyu, since Mingyu had been rambling all weekend to the boys about the places he had tried to apply to and still had not received a call back. Since S.Coupe knew his uncle was in dire need of new helping hands he suggested Mingyu to work there. At least then, his uncle would have someone to help him out at the shop and Mingyu could finally shut up about how it didn’t make sense how a gorgeous guy like him wasn’t able to land a job.

Once the clock struck noon, Mingyu left in a hurry without a second look back. It was the first time since coming here that he felt nervous. There were knots in his stomach and he felt unusually sick, though it could be just the bread and apples combination. Mingyu caught the express bus, wondering what could be in store him today.

What he didn’t realize though, was that being a mechanic… meant being very hands-on.

And when he finally did realize it… it was a little too late to back out.

---

“What…………………. You build transportations?” Mingyu gulped, his eyes wide with panic as he saw the dirt and grime on Mr. Choi’s hands.

The mechanic shop was nothing like the young Prince had imagined. He had pictured something akin to an arcade, or even a club-playground-bowlling-bar type of place where all he had to do was stand still and fix drinks for people, but this was not the type of fix he had imagined.  This was an actual garage shop, filled with broken cars and dirty old men that picked their noses and let out stinky farts whenever they wanted to.

He didn’t even want to begin to imagine how germ-infested their nails were.

Was he the only male in the world who truly cared about good hygiene?

When Mingyu agreed to this whole Mechanic business, he wasn’t aware that being a Mechanic meant being an Engineer. On Planet Diamond, they don’t call people who fix cars and aircrafts Mechanics, they refer to them as Engineers. Engineers can build things and they can fix them. That was what being an Engineer was all about. If Mingyu had known that this was an engineering job, he would’ve never agreed to this in the first place!

He would be the last person on this universe who dared to touch a screwdriver with his hands, so why was the gods trying to test with him?

“What’s it look like I do? Make iPhones?” joked Mr. Choi, who wiped his hands with an old rag that he grabbed from his pocket. “Call me, Choi and we should be good. No mister, please. I am not as old as I look.” He extended a warm hand out for Mingyu to take, but the young prince turned so pale that Mr. Choi was starting to question his nephews choices.

“You okay, son? You need to sit down?”

Mingyu hadn’t even stepped inside the garage shop yet, but he already felt the grease collect on his forehead. His hands shook as they reached out to shake Mr. Choi’s hand. “M-Mingyu,” replied Mingyu after a couple of seconds. Mr. Choi had gripped his hand so firmly that Mingyu was sure that even if he tried to run away, he wouldn’t make it very far.

When Mr. Choi let go of Mingyu, the young boy let out a breath of relief for a second until his lips pursed together again when his new Boss pressed him against his shoulder. “Let me show you around the place. It’s nothing big, but I’d like you to know your area before you work around here.”

Mingyu glanced down at Mr. Choi’s dirty finger nails, biting back the urge to cry as he was dragged around like a useless pup. *Note to self, once I get home, I gotta do my damn laundry and bathe for one hour! There’s no way I’ll able to live with myself if I went to bed filled with oil on my face.* With that thought in mind, Mingyu stole a glimpse up at the sky, cursed at his parents, and went on his way to become the first person in the Royal family to work an Engineering job.

---

Around evening, when the sun was finally setting over the mountains and the clouds began to clear away, you decided that it was time to get up and get some fresh air. You stood up and reached your hands high up into a stretch, feeling every ache of the muscles going down your legs.

You had stayed in your room all day, forgetting that you had a bladder and a stomach. It wasn’t until you stood up when you realize how badly you needed to pee. You scurried out the door and ran for the washroom. As you peed, you yawned and an image of Mingyu smiling crossed your mind.

*Oh! Mingyu… I didn’t see him out there, did I?* You blinked several times, trying to remember if he was home.

Once you finished, you rinsed your hands and began brushing your teeth. Did the time really fly by that quickly? While you brushed your teeth, you poked your head out and looked around your k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter