Thirty Seven

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THUNDER - EXO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwdUhZjgpKs

Ever since news broke out of Kai dropping out of the Blood Dragons, Jonghyung had sent out his search team to track Kai down. Jonghyung had believed that since Kai was the adopted son of the prestigious Kim family, it should take no longer than two days to track the young boy down since his family was constantly on the news for their ambitious flame for charity work.

To Jonghyung’s dismay, he had underestimated Kai’s abilities. The boy was quick wit, cunning and far more intelligent than Jonghyung had believed him to be. Although he had always known Kai to be quite the specimen when it came to handling business matters since he came from a business savvy family, he never really gave credit for how smart the young man actually was. Seeing that they were a generation apart, Jonghyung thought the years he had on Kai would give him an easy advantage to bring his plan to full throttle by killing two birds with one stone. At least then, every debt that was ever owed to him would be repaid and any promises that were made could be concealed for eternity.

But… unfortunately, luck was not on his side. The boy was three steps ahead of him, fleeing from the city and leaving no traces in his absences. Jonghyung could not even get his men to investigate Kai’s whereabouts because the boy had already done everything ahead of time and secured his and Hari’s location in secrecy, as if he had already foresaw where the end of this road would have led to. All of Kai’s condos, all the cars he had driven under his name, even his family’s apartment complex that they owned, everything was wiped clean and no one knew where Kai, let alone Hari was.

Of course the idea of going to the Kim family had crossed Jonghyung mind, let them know the sly deals that had been going on between him and their son, but that was too much unnecessary work that he didn’t want to go through. They were currently living in America, doing some imports with Toyota and Ford and had no interests in what was going on in their son’s life. Aside from the work he was doing for their company in Seoul , the Kim family treated Kai no less than a family dog. Maybe even worse, considering that they paid no attention to the boy’s needs. As far as Jonghyung knew, if Kai had been shot and killed, his parents would not have even bothered to fly back to attend his funeral. What fun was that?

There was no point in playing a game with somebody who clearly does not care, not even if they had a boastful amount of money. Jonghyung was a man who needed his bloodlust satisfied, and in order to do so, he needed to hear the yells of people crying out for their loved one. There was just something so pleasing in killing someone in front of the person they loved, the rush of adrenaline that Jonghyung received from each murder he had done over the years had given him a more worthy buzz than ever did.

With the 100 days warning he had given Kai, he had expected the boy to turn Hari in. Loyal friend or not, if you really had wanted to live, you would have chosen to hand your friend on the chopping board while you retreated back to safety. Seeing just how hard Kai had worked to ensure both the safety of Hari and him remain hidden, Jonghyung began to entertain the idea of… whether or not she was more than just a friend. In the hands of death, when you get to choose who gets killed, Jonghyung was most certain that one would give their friend away in a heartbeat. This can’t be any ordinary friendship between a boy and a girl, Kai must certainly be fond of her, more so than Hayoung since he had left her an open secret for Jonghyung to discover.

If Jonghyung had known Kai was such a careful man, he would not have let him slip out of his grasp so easily…

There was a loud, resolute knock that steered Jonghyung out of his thoughts. Bringing his attention back to the cigar between his fingers, he drew in a deep breath before his dark eyes darted towards the door. A moment later, one of his men came strutting in with a bow of his head. A cloud of smoke came out from Jonghyung’s lips as he eyed the fool in front of him, waiting for the man to explain his reason for intrusion.

“Sorry to disturb you, sir… but one of your clients has come for a meeting. Should I tell them to come back another time?”

Always with the meetings nowadays but never any good results, how absolutely annoying to know I have hired a bunch of incompetent imbeciles to deal for me. Jonghyung waved his hands dismissively, “With the lack of information we are getting on Kai, I’m in dire need of some entertainment tonight. Bring them in; I’d like to see what the fuss is about for this unexpected visited.” The man bows his head politely at the order, leaving quietly to the guests.

Pulling out his drawer, Jonghyung ran his palm over the cool metal of the gun that he kept hidden beside him. With his lips curled upwards in a devilish manner, Jonghyung placed the gun in his holster, covering it behind his blazer as he awaited his incoming visitors. He his lips in excitement, anticipating what was in store for him today. I’ve been in a sour mood all day, but at least now I can take it out on whomever I want. Whether they have a debt to owe me or not, I want to make sure I put a bullet through someone’s head today. 

---

Kai walked through the revolving doors of the five star hotel down in Daegu, making a straight line towards the restaurant area. Obscured by his dark shades, his eyes observed everything that was in the vicinity, seeing sights of the bell boys pulling trolleys all across the floor with stacks of suitcases on top of it while noting the countless amounts of people checking in and out of the hotel today. As careful as he had been these past weeks, you would never know when it came to spies. There was always somebody on the inside working for someone, so any plan can always go wrong. After making sure every inch of the Hotel was safe, he had agreed to meet here.

Once he made it to the front of the restaurant, he noticed the familiar figure that was waiting for him at the last booth. Casually smiling towards the waitresses, he headed towards the booth until he reached it and sat himself down. Looking at the person, Kai shared a small smile. “Hyung.”

“Hyung, my !” Wongeun pulled his shades down and reached over to give Kai a smack in the head, a scowl etched his entire face as he glowered at the younger boy. It had been a long time since he had done that to Kai, but the boy had never once done anything to upset him… at least not until now. “How can you call me Hyung after all the mess you have caused with you and Hari? Do you know how hard we have been trying to run away from them and you just so happen to think, ‘Oh, joining hands with them will make them give up on getting Hari!’ What have I taught you in the past about interfering with this type of ? Idiot!”

It had been many years since the break up between him and Hari, but even though he had moved away to ease his broken heart, Wongeun had not once forgotten the dangers that lay within her life. Try as he might, he could not move on from Hari and her problems. Although it was no longer his business and problem to deal with, Wongeun couldn’t help but continue to worry day and night over her. After being together and becoming friends, Wongeun realized that her problems were his problems. Even if he had moved away without saying goodbye to Hari, he still wanted her to fulfill all of her dreams and become the artist she had always wanted to be. He wanted that for her, and to give her that chance, he made sure she lived through it till the end. With the Blood Dragon on her tail, Wongeun knew that it was impossible for her to live a long and promising life because at every corner, they were waiting to strike.

Shin Hari cannot die young, Wongeun had told himself over and over again, which was why he had kept tabs on her and the mafia throughout the years. To Wongeun, she had become someone special in his heart, and he refused to let anything happen to her. Although she had her best friends, Wongeun could not for the life of him trust her life with them. Kris, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and even Kai, despite how much they cared for her, they never really seemed like they were there for her. It had always been him, keeping her away from harm’s way and that’s how it should be. Even back at the school campus when she had stumbled into him, that day he had found one of the men from the mafia inching closer to finding out where she had been which led to the uneventful altercation and fateful meeting with Hari that day. Although he had claimed he was the one that had been beaten up, it was actually him who had floored the punk and left him unconscious in an alleyway. There were no news of the mafia on his tail, which meant that the kid must have been knocked out for good.

After the incident, Hari’s life seemed like it was turning around for the good with the lack of people trying to track her down. She was going to school, she had met a nice boy named Mingyu and since he came in her life, things became peaceful. Wongeun was glad that things were well… but he didn’t truly believe that things were okay. Life was going about too quietly, too calmly. One knows as bright as day, that when the ocean’s currents are far too calm, a storm is brewing in the distance.

So he did everything a logical person would do: he started digging. He sought for answers from unlikely places and spent a lot of nights with a cup of coffee by his side, hacking and going into websites and meeting strange people who had important information until one day, he caught wind of somebody saying that Kim Kai was part of the Blood Dragon. His friend, his younger brother, whom he saw as his own blood, and was the person that his girl had loved, was part of the Blood Dragon? The same mafia that was hunting the girl he loved down? What? Imagine the look of shock that had come across his face once he chanced upon that information. Right after hearing it, he immediately gave Kai a ring, demanding for answers.

And now, here they were, sitting across from each other at a dimly lit five star restaurant in Daegu with a pair of shades on their faces to conceal their identity.

The waitress came around, carrying two cups of ice water and placing it down on the coaster. Taking out her pen and notepad, she asked, “May I take your order now?”

The two of them had their menu’s wide open, but neither of them had bothered to look inside of it since they sat down. “Sorry, we are going to need another five minutes please,” said Kai, grinning all the while.

Surprised by how dashing his smile was, the waitress flushed a bright pink and nodded her head, walking away with a dazed expression on her face.

Wongeun clucked his tongue, perplexed by how Kai’s expression could change so easily during a certain situation. “Can you stop flirting with the waitress and come clean

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter