Thirty Six

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOU'RE MY SPRING - SECRET GARDEN OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTn61LE5Z18

Instead of telling Mingyu what had happened between Hayoung and you, you decided to remain mum on the ordeal. Until you spoke with Kai yourself, you refused to let Hayoung’s words sink into you fully. Nothing was absolute until the perpetrator confessed his crimes himself, right? For all you know, she might have just been trying to poke at your weak spot.

Weak spot or not, she got to you all right Shin Hari. How could you have let her touch you like that? She was just trying to give you a scare and you fell for it like a … you reminded yourself bitterly.

After crying it out on Mingyu’s shoulder, you put on a brave front and told him you wanted to sleep. You had seen how crestfallen his expression became, but knowing how upset you had been that night, Mingyu had chosen not to press you further. The last thing he wanted to do was ask you something offensive and have you burst out in more tears. He hated when girls cry, and he had already emphasized that heavily enough when it came to you. If only he had come sooner…

Once the door was shut behind you, you stared at the half finished painting you had been working on earlier. You had originally been trying to do a portrait of an old photo of you and the guys, thinking that you could give this to Sehun for his upcoming birthday in April as a reminder of your infinite friendship with each other. In the middle of outlining Kai’s features, that was when Hayoung rudely interrupted. Staring at the half finished outline of his face, you suddenly grew angry at the sight of it. His eyes were the qualities that you had loved most about him because they were the darkest of warm brown and held a fire in them every time you looked into it, but seeing the way they stared back at you now, listless and empty, it made your blood run cold at the empty image of the man you had once loved. Fuming with anger and irritation, you threw the canvas on the floor and stomped on where his face was.  

“I hate you so much Kim Jongin… I hate you for not being honest with me… Some best friend you are.” You didn’t even bother to pick up the canvas. Instead, you went straight to bed and shut your eyes. You didn’t even set your alarm, because really, who would be in the mood to go to class tomorrow after being told that they were nothing but a piece of that was spoiling the Earth? If there was any way to make you feel better, it would be a long sleep. Crying, thinking, feeling—all those things were what drained a person the most, so it was no surprise that within five minutes of lying down, your eyelids began to droop down. 

Sleep quickly came afterwards, and like a wave in the ocean, it dragged you down into the depths of the numbing darkness until you lost all senses.  

When Mingyu knew that you had finally fallen asleep, he quietly opened the door to your room and stepped in. He had heard noises coming from your room and grew worried that you might have done something foolish, but just as he was about to place his hand on the doorknob, his gut told him not now. When your footsteps started to shuffle across the floor and the sound of your bed creaked, Mingyu waited until you fell asleep before making any moves. Strange as it was, after spending these two months with you, he had begun to pick up on all of your good, bad, easy to read habits. One of these includes falling asleep quickly. Once he heard your bed creak, seconds later snores would follow and that’s how he knew you had fallen asleep.

Mingyu glanced warily at your sleeping figure, making sure to be as quiet as possible. When you hadn’t woken up, he let out a breath of relief. As his eyes scanned the room, it caught sight of the empty easel. Just as he was about to question why it was empty, he noticed something on the floor.

Studying at the forgotten canvas on the ground, Mingyu frowned sadly. You had a passion for painting all the things that inspire you, and so far, all the things you have painted were of the people and mythical characters that you loved. Knowing just how touchy you were when it came to your artwork, Mingyu never ever laid a hand on any of your portraits because he knew that a canvas was more than just a board to draw and paint on. He knew that a canvas to you was something that needed to be taken extra care of and held with upmost respect, even if it was an inanimate object. Seeing it lay on the floor in such a bizarre and lonely manner, made his frown grow deeper as he wondered how badly your altercation with Hayoung must have been to have made you vent it out on your precious artwork. Bending down in curiosity, Mingyu let his head dip low while he examined the canvas. There were a couple of faces that he recognized, but that was only because he remembered seeing them on your wall of photos. He let his hand glide across the smooth surface, the paint seeming to have dried a while ago, until it stopped at a specific someone. Judging from the hole that was indented into his face, Mingyu could only have one guess who that person was.

Kai.

A sudden thought struck him, as his eyes drifted over to where you were sleeping, his mouth letting out a small gasp at the impossible idea. I thought Hayoung’s intention were to hurt Hari… but now that I think about it… why would she come all the way here just to hurt her when she was known to be an heiress…? A girl like that should have better things to do than to toy with people. Seeing just how shaken up Hari had been when I held her… Hayoung must have come here because she had something to say. Perhaps she revealed something about Kai... if that was the case; it does explain the hole in his face in the canvas. But what did she say? What could Hayoung have possibly said to ruin Hari like this? Expose the truth? But no… if Hayoung was a real friend, she would not have exposed Kai’s secret… would she? Would she really betray his trust? Mingyu narrowed his eyes in thought, his brain working extra hard as he tried to piece out the puzzle. Seeing just how drawn Hayoung was to drama… she just might be the type of back stabbing wench to do just that… but why? Why would she betray the trust of a man who loves her so much he would risk losing all of his friends for her?

To that, Mingyu had hit the end of the road. The only possibility he could think of was that Kai had decided to end their friendship, which caused her to become so erratic and delusional that she came all the way down here to expose Kai’s true identity. But that possibility was far too impossible. From what he’s heard about the other man, Kai was too emotionally invested in Hayoung to even think of letting her go. The chance of him dropping Hayoung like she was yesterday’s garbage was definitely out of the question.

Mingyu left the canvas there as he stood up, it was best to leave it where he found it else he might get scolded tomorrow morning by you. Walking quietly towards you, he bent down to your eye level and gazed softly at the girl before him. Your pink hair was growing now, revealing the brown roots that were coming out. Despite the puffy eyes and the pouted lips, you remained a sleeping beauty in your slumber. Hari, how could someone as beautiful and warm hearted as you end up with such a wretched fate? If only I could erase all this pain for you, and take you back to my home I would. At least if I took you home, you would get to be treated the Princess you were and no one would dare lay a single finger on you…

In the midst of his thoughts, he noticed that even in your dreams you were being chased by a terrible omen. Seeing your brows crinkle in distress, Mingyu carefully reached out to smooth them out. The moment his finger grazed against your skin, he could see your body relax underneath the blanket until a peaceful expression reappeared on your face. Noona… even though I know that the best option to keep you away from harm is to take you home to my safe haven, I can’t do that. Despite everything, you still have people down here who love you so much, if not more than me. I want to be selfish… but I know this is where you belong. All I can do is protect you for the time being…

Before he could feel any more sorry about the situation, Mingyu decided to push away all the negative feelings. Instead, he slowly inched his face closer to yours until his lips were only centimeters away from yours. Staring down at your pink lips, he felt himself swallow down the lump that formed in his throat. Glancing back to see if you were still asleep, he prodded himself on. He leaned in and carefully planted a soft kiss on your cheek, leaving his lips linger there for a long second before pulling away and leaving the room.

The next morning, you woke up with a frown still plastered on your face. Not bothering to check the time, you sat up and scratched your head as your eyes adjusted to the unwelcoming light that was spilling into your room. Suddenly, from the corner of your eye, you saw a flash of blue on your table. To your utmost surprise, there was bouquet of blue roses on your desktop awaiting for you to take into your arms. A natural smile appeared on your face, knowing just who to thank for the unexpected kind gesture. Pushing yourself up the bed, you sauntered over to the bouquet and noticed a card lying right on top of it, with the words, ‘Open me’ written on top it.

Obediently, you opened it to be surprised yet again with the paragraphs that w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter