Fifty Four

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BEN - LIKE A DREAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bESGcfpVKBM

It had been a month since you started working as a secretary at the front desk of the Museum. Rijin had been right when she said the position was simple and boring. There wasn’t much for you to do, aside from picking up phone calls, planning special events for the Museum and guiding visitors to go to certain places. However, the job did pay extremely well and in the course of four weeks since you had begun working here, you had met several popular Korean and Japanese artists. You had the chance to speak to them and get to know their work, and you even told them about yours. Some even had gone far as to exchange their personal contact information with yours for future references.

Things were going well at work and between your friends. Sehun had finally made contact and informed everyone that he had gotten married to the love of his life. You couldn’t believe the lovestruck expression he had on his face when he introduced his wife to everyone via Skype. Her name was Minhee and she was absolutely beautiful. She had long red hair and bright, youthful eyes. On the video call she was quiet, shy, but well spoken. She dressed well and looked the ideal wife.  

You were next to Kai when this happened, and for some odd reason, began to cry when you realized how much Sehun had grown. Seeing him plant a kiss on his wife’s head, and seeing what a doting husband he had become made you so proud.

“Noona!” Sehun shouted through the screen. “Stop embarrassing me infront of my wife!”

You laughed, holding back your tears. “I can’t believe your all grown up. When you left you were still such a kid and that was only a few months ago…” Kai tenderly wiped the tears away, making a fist towards Sehun’s direction. “Minhee, if he does something bad, make sure to call us. Your oppas and unnie will come kick his , alright?”

The rest of the boys, especially Xiumin, echoed loudly through the video call as they rejoiced in Kai’s declaration.

“Jongin’s kidding,” you assured Sehun.

Sehun made a face, “Oh look at you two. Now you’re finally calling him Jongin again eh…”

“I always did, thank you very much!” You grinned widely.

After that videocall, you guys hadn’t heard from Sehun but you were certain that if he ever needed help, no doubt he would ring you all a call.

As time went on, your friendship with Kai was repaired and now spent most of your weekends together doing things friends do. You could feel that he wanted something more, but your heart was no longer in the right place to give him what he wanted. Although he was aware of your platonic feelings, it didn’t stop him from trying his best to win back your heart.

On one sunny afternoon, Kai drove you two to the beach. You had packed a fruit salad and some freshly squeezed orange juice for the two of you. As he drove, you couldn’t help but note that he would steal a glimpse of you every few minutes.

“Is there a booger on my face? Why do you keep staring at me?” You questioned.

Kai flashed you his perfect crooked grin, the one that used to send your heart in waves of turmoil. “I just can’t help myself. You look absolutely beautiful today.”

You pulled down your shades, glancing down at your own outfit. You had worn a strapless, one piece bathing suit with white shorts on and sandals. “I’m honestly not wearing much so I can’t help but feel as though you’re creeping on me.”

“Who wouldn’t?” smirked Kai.

You rolled your eyes, smiling. Glancing over, he looked quite handsome himself. He wore white shorts as well paired with a denim blue collared shirt and sandals.

By the time you two arrived at the beach, it was only twelve in the afternoon. Most of the people here were young couples and married couples with their kids. You felt a hand wrap around your wrist, and looked at Kai, who smiled your way. For a moment, your heart fluttered and you glanced away quickly. Somehow, it still felt wrong but you didn’t know why considering it that you were single! You pushed away the feeling, ensuring yourself that there is nothing wrong with this. You and Kai had always been this close.

Kai set the huge straw mat on the sand and the two of you sat down. You pulled out the fruit salad and juice. The two of you sat and chit chatted, watching the soft wave’s crash against the land. Most of the conversation was centered around Kai’s job at his family business. He fed you a piece of honeydew, smiling your way in admiration.

“You know… Hari… I know things are kind of weird between us but I want you to know that I’m going to say by your side. I’m never going to leave you again,” promised Kai.

You looked at him, wondering where the sentimental tone came from. “I know that very well Jongin. Thank you.”

In his eyes, you could tell he wanted to say something. He hesitated momentarily, before in a breath and saying, “And that’s why I have a proposal for you.”

You tilted your head, perplexed. Proposal? Did I hear that correctly? “What are you talking about?” You searched his eyes for answers, wondering what on earth he had meant by that. The warm brown orbs of his stared right back at yours with utmost sinceri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter