Eighteen

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I LOVE YOU - AKDONG MUSICIAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoj7wdfmKFo

When the two of you got home, you and Mingyu put all the groceries away in the fridge and cabinet.

It was a one person job, taking no less than five minutes to do it but Mingyu insisted on helping because he was a ‘sweetheart’ and everyone should notice what a darling he was. To that… you rolled your eyes, making no remark as you laughed behind his back. Since when was Mingyu ever a sweetheart?

Once everything was in its rightful place, you dusted your hands, blew your bangs out of your eyes and looked at Mingyu with a teasing smile. “Are you planning to hang out with me looking like that?”

Mingyu, who had forgotten that he was so full of dust, sweat and oil, touched his face and then grimaced at the reminder. He glanced down at his watch, the tick indicating that it was half past 8. Then his eyes flickered back up to you, seeing the warm look in your teasing eyes made him melt in his stance momentarily. (Though he didn’t know why he was melting in the first place considering that he was not made of ice.)

He knew he should let you rest up, because you looked tired, but something told him that if he was going to give you back your phone, the same frown you had these last couple of days will reappear and it was just going to dampen his mood. Jeez. How can one piece of technology have such a tremendous ability to make a human Earthling act so depressing?

He quickly shook the thought away. *Enough of this, I’m wasting time!* Mingyu pouted and clasped his hand together cutely as he gazed at you. “Give me ten minutes, and I’ll be right out of the shower and we can go play.”

You really hated when he acted cute, but strangely nowadays it was starting to rub off on you. Cute Mingyu was a lot more fun than angry Mingyu, any day. Your lips curved up into a smile and you nodded, “Go right ahead, you were stinking up my place anyway.”

Mingyu stuck out his tongue at you, and then hmphed as he strutted towards the bathroom. Before the door shut, Mingyu poked his head outside and pointed a warning finger at you. “OH! And don’t you dare try to touch your phone while I shower. My elders will let me know what’s up if you betray me like that.” Gosh, this kid.

You pretended to look offended, “I’m upset. You think I would ever betray your trust like that, Prince Mingyu?”

Hearing you call him that made him break his serious mask, and he started to laugh really hard. He sent a wink flying your way, making you sneer in disgust (in a joking way of course).

Since you were waiting for him, you decided to grab your sketchbook from your room and sketch as you waited for him in the kitchen. Even though you were studying art, it didn’t mean you often had the chance to draw as freely as you wanted. Primarily, your professors assigned you your art projects and you had to draw to their desire. This is why most people quit college. They do things that they like, but when they choose their major and go into it, they realize that they like doing it more as a hobby than something that needs to be instructed.

You were on that boat.

Art is fun when you get to do what you want with it, but when teachers critique you and tell you it’s not good enough, it hurts. But is there anything in this lifetime ever good enough? Can one person ever be satisfied at one thing in this life without complaint?

You tried not to think too much nowadays and let your hands guide your drawing. If you thought too hard on your sketch, it ends up being just scratches on a piece of paper rather than something with an outcome. Without realizing it, Mingyu had finished his shower and was standing right behind you.

“Why are you drawing me?” his voice rose in the air, without warning, making you jump in your seat.

“Wha!!” You dropped your pen on the table as your eyes flew to him. Big mistake. The moment you looked at him, your eyes grew twice its size. Why was he only wearing a white towel around his waist?! “Why are you half , Mingyu?! Go put on some clothes!!!”

Mingyu blinked innocently. “Why are you acting like you never saw me topless before?”

You covered your eyes, feeling the warmth on your cheeks as you did so. “Because at least then you had on a pair of pants, Mingyu! Jesus, warn me next time please!”

“Okay woman sheesh. I forget my clothes once and you act like I'm flashing you. Don't  you see people all the time in class anyways? Why are you being so shy now?” He was teasing you. There is no way he was being serious about this. Mingyu walked over to look for some fresh new clothes in his suitcase. For whatever reason, you thought it was rational to look over, but nope. This kid almost dropped his damn towel bending over.

You grabbed your sketchpad and ran to your room.  “Let me know when your changed!” You slammed the door behind you, letting out a breath that you didn’t know you had been holding. Jeez… you thought Kai was going to be the death of you, but nope. Mingyu will be.

You patted your cheeks, hoping that it will cool down. Once it did, you pulled out your sketchpad and stared at it. A small smile came upon your lips. You had drawn out a quick sketch of Mingyu without being fully aware of what you were actually doing. You stared at the sketch, tracing one gentle hand over it before setting it down on your table.

There was a brisk knock on your door. “I’m ready! Can we play now?”

You opened the door, seeing Mingyu with a big fat smile on his face. He wore navy blue crew neck with a pair of Adidas track pants. *Wow, either this kid is a great shopper or his stylist up in planet diamond blessed him.* You crossed your arms and eyed him with a playful smile. “What do you want to do today, Mingyu? We don’t have much time before the night ends, but I’ll make due with what we have.”

“I want to watch a movie. I’ve been on Earth for a while now and I haven’t experienced what it was like to watch a movie,” said Mingyu.

You bit your lip, “You want to go to the movies?”

“No, I want to watch a movie. Right here,” he pointed to your room.

You blinked your eyes, “But I don’t have a TV in here.”

“Can’t we rearrange your bed so that it can face your computer monitor?” asked Mingyu.

That could work. You have never tried before, but you were sure if you moved your bed a bit to the side and moved the desktop table to the center of the room, it’ll be good enough for a movie spot.

“Sure, let’s try that,” you shrugged. Mingyu brightened up like a little boy receiving candy for the first time. The two of you pushed the bed to the side, and moved the table to the center of the room. You were doing most of the pushing while Mingyu sat on your bed, instructing you how to push the table.

“You should push it closer to the bed so we could get a clearer view of the screen,” recommended Mingyu.

You huffed your chest, glaring at him, “Why don’t you do it?! You wanted to do this!”

Mingyu smiled, “I like watching you do work more. It’s fun.”

You rolled your eyes, mumbling curse words of Mingyu under your breath while you followed his instructions.

Ten minutes later, everything was set up, the popcorn had been popped, the lights in the room were turned off, a can of beer was in your hand while Mingyu chose out the movie. He opted out of horror movies, claiming that it wasn’t good for his health. After what felt like forever, Mingyu ended up choosing the English movie, “Serendipity”, a story about how two strangers met and was instantly attracted to each other but decided to let the fates control their destiny on whether or not they will end up together.

Chick flicks weren’t really your thing, but if this is what made Mingyu happy, why not?

At one point it looked like Mingyu wanted to cry, so you handed him a tissue, to which he pursed his lip and stared at you with a dry look on his face. “Don’t question my masculinity, noona. You may be the one with the beer, and I may be one the digging the movie, but I am VERY manly. I may look like I am going to cry, but I am a man and men don’t cry. Whoever has planet Diamond blood running through them, they never cry.”

“Yeah, okay whatever liar, you’re full of . You look like you’re trying hard to hold back those tears, but it’s okay, noona got your back,” you said, holding out the tissue to him again. Mingyu snatched the tissue and threw it into the trash can with a warning look in his eyes. “You’re distracting me! Let me have my moment, pleaseeeee!”

You held back a laugh and leaned back in the bed. You don’t know when, but somehow, you and Mingyu ended up sitting really closely together. Near the end of the movie, you were holding onto his arm, resisting the urge to bite into it because the film was so cute, but so sad, yet so happy, though very suspenseful. Maybe the beer was kicking in.

Mingyu however, looked disappointed as the movie was drawing to a close as he let out a sigh and slumped back on the bed with an unreadable expression.

As the credits started rolling in, Mingyu said, “The ending could’ve been way better.”

You gasped at him. “No way, I think it ended just right. It had the perfect use of escapism, and jeez how perfect and adorable was Cusack? He played Jon, just so… perfectly.” You let out a dreamy sigh.

Mingyu’s expression turned puzzled and he poked the side of your waist. “Hey…” He blinked his eyes and then narrowed his eyebrows. He couldn’t stop the sudden wave of discomfort lodged in his chest. “Stop looking so in love.”

You held back a laugh and looked at him, quoting the famous taglines from the movie, “He is… destiny with a sense of humour.”

Mingyu’s expression flattened completely. He put his fingers up in air quotes, “Sometimes true love can have more than one face.”

You gasped in a joking manner. “Are you implying that you are in love with me?”

He almost wanted to roll over laughing at the question. How ridiculous was Shin Hari to dare question him about his feelings. *Oh wait…* “Stop stealing my lines. I say that to you, you can’t say that to me!”

You smiled in response, leaning back on the bed as you did so. Mingyu imitated your movement. The two of you sat in comfortable silence, listening to only the quiet background music of the ending credits. After a few minute

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter