Fifty One

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DEAN - HALF MOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvF9-euESvw

Ever since you had returned home from job hunting that day, you felt an unexplainable void inside your body. Although you had always lived alone, somehow the house seemed quieter than usual. It was too peaceful. Perhaps the summer heat really was getting to you and you just needed to get out of the house. You thought about calling up the boys, but stopped yourself in the process. You didn’t want to bother them. They must be so busy with their businesses and corporate jobs, the last thing on their mind would be to entertain you.

You tapped your chin thoughtfully, wondering what you could do. None of the places you had applied to had called you back, and your savings was beginning to run low. You thought about calling Kai, knowing he might make time for you. But you felt mad at him, yet you didn’t know why. I shouldn’t even try to contact him after all he put me through. I can’t forgive him this easily, or else he will think he has an advantage over me.

“That’s it; I’m getting out of this house. I feel suffocated and this heat is worsening my mood,” you said out loud. You didn’t know where you were going, but that was fine with you. Nothing says spontaneous like hopping on the bus and going wherever the bus was going. You threw on a black t-shirt dress and covered your head with a hat. Slinging your purse over your body, you locked up the house and left in better spirits.

In less than forty minutes you had arrived in Bupyeong, where the streets were lit with drunken people and the music of karaoke was playing from several stores. Walking past all the bars, you opted for a more relaxing night. It had been awhile since you had gone to see a movie alone.

Glancing up at the billboard, you scanned it thoroughly to see which one you should watch. After several minutes, you decided to watch the movie “Get Out”. You remembered hearing a lot of good reviews about it and now here was your perfect chance. You purchased your ticket and went straight inside. There were a lot of couples here tonight, more than usual. The sight of seeing them wearing matching couple outfits made you inwardly cringe. I hope I never make my boyfriend match with me, what a complete embarrassment. Before buying your popcorn you thought it might be a better idea to go to the washroom first. After rinsing your hands and fixing your hair, you left the washroom.

Just as you turned the corner, someone collided right into you. Some of the popcorn they were holding had spilled onto you.

“Yo, watch where you’re going lady— noona?” The young boy looked unfamiliar to you, but his eyes were telling you a different story.

You raised your eyebrow and crossed your arms. “Ya, watch who you’re talking to punk. Who are you talking to in such a disrespectful tone?”

The young boy blinked his eyes in surprise at your unexpected hostility, but then recovered his composure a second after. “It’s me, Vernon. Why do you look like you don’t know me?”

“Uh, maybe because I don’t know you?” You scoffed, shaking your head. He was quite young and handsome, with a hint of mix in his nationality. If you knew him, you were sure you would have remembered a face like that.

Vernon looked at you, incredulous. “What the hell? How do you not know me? I am best friends with—” Before he could finish his sentence, someone called his name.

“Vernon, forget about it. Let’s go before the movie starts.”

You glanced up to see who the stern voice belonged to, but all you saw was their back facing you and a hood draped over their head.

Vernon made a face, before hesitantly walking away. “Goodnight.”

You grimaced at the strange encounter. Something about the way he looked at you made your heart feel uneasy. If I had known him, I would have certainly remembered his face. I don’t know him right? Maybe I slept with him before… Your appetite for popcorn ceased. You shook off the thought and went straight to your theatre.

About two hours later, the movie finished. You stood up from your seat, your mind reeling from th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter