Thirty One

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WHY DID YOU JUST COME NOW - JUNG YEOP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35NSFzUtgU

Sundays were your least favourite days.

It was a day meant for studying for your upcoming midterms, doing chores around the house and completing whatever last minute errands that you hadn’t gotten to do during the week. It was a busy, busy, busy day yet here you were standing in front of the window with a cup of tea in your hand while you thoughtfully wondered about what Mingyu was up to at work. Sundays were also the days that Mingyu wasn’t home because he worked at the mechanics all day, and whenever he returned home, you were already in bed fast asleep. Out of the seven days of the week, Sundays was probably the only day you never got to see him. He would wake up by 6am and be out on the road by 7, and when you woke up, the house would already be emptied of his presence.

To be quite honest, Sundays was a pretty lonely day for you. As much as you tried to deny it in your heart, you knew deep down that having Mingyu live with you had made your life become so much better. He had made your once lonely home, become brighter, happier and warmer with his endless amount of crappy jokes, cheesy words and kind-hearted gestures. Not many people were lucky in this world to bump into an Alien Prince from thousands of light years away, but you just so happened to be the one in a million to have the opportunity to meet someone as sweet and caring like him.

Up until now, it hadn’t actually hit home just how much his presence had impacted your life. Living with him and getting to know his habits was a step by step process, and yet months later, he somehow paved his way into your heart without you knowing when or how that happened. He had just been some strange kid with blue hair, wanting a place to stay by publicly embarrassing you in front of your own home. If you hadn’t said yes, you wondered how different your lives would be now… Surely, someone like Mingyu was capable of living on his own anyway, with all of the advance technology he had on, you couldn’t imagine him not finding a way to make a living on Earth.

Still… he had chosen to get in your way and made an adamant decision that it had to be you that he wanted to live with. Smiling at the memory of your first day, you put the cup of warm chrysanthemum tea to your lips as you stared at the window.

Now that you were home on this gloomy Sunday, with nothing but the sounds of raindrops splashing against your rooftop to keep you company did you realize how alone you truly were. All of your friends were busy living their lives, working their dream jobs and being with the people they loved… but here you were with a cast on your right arm, staying inside to study when you should be out there, doing something better. Your mind wandered away, thinking about what your friends were up to this Sunday.

You imagine Kris to be in the middle of a large board meeting, listening to his employees talk while he held on that permanent scowl that he had always had on his face. You could imagine the sounds of complaint that were going through his head as he listened to his employees drone on and on about things that he didn’t quite care about. You imagine Suho with his thick square glasses on, completely focused and taking down notes in his University up in South Africa without bothering to ever put his pen down. Once he was in class, that boy was completely drawn in. You started laughing to yourself, as you imagined Chef Kyungsoo trying to perfect his kimchi spaghetti. No matter how many times he tried to spice up the recipe, it remained the same in taste much to his dismay. Sehun, Tao and Xiumin assured him multiple times that the recipe was fine the way it was, but Kyungsoo was a man of pride. He wanted it to be great, and until it hits that great mark, will he finally be satisfied.

Ah… those were your friends.

Before you could delve deeper into your thoughts, the sound of your phone ringing startled you. You placed the warm cup of tea down onto the counter, and headed into your room to pick up the phone. Staring down at the name on the phone as if you were staring at the name of a stranger, you felt your forlorn mood suddenly go up in flames. Chanyeol.

Smiling, your lips stretched into a wide grin. “YEOL!”

“Hello beautiful lady, guess whose outside?” Although you couldn’t see him, you knew that Yeol had on his signature cheesy smile as he said that.

“No way, I was just by the window a second ago… plus you don’t even have your G2,” you whispered in disbelief.

Chanyeol chuckled, “Um hello? Who said I was driving. Baekhyun drove us here. Come on, get your pretty little out here so we can have a spontaneous road trip.”

Your heart began to palpitate quickly in excitement. As Chanyeol spoke, you hastily sauntered over to the window and peaked outside. Just as he had said, a navy blue mercedes car was parked outside your house. The windows were tinted, but for you, Chanyeol had rolled them down slightly so that you could catch a glimpse of them inside. When Chanyeol and Baekhyun saw you, they started waving you to come to them faster.

A scream came out your lips, not from fear, but just from how much you had missed your boys. You quickly rinsed your tea cup and threw on whatever clothes you could find. If it had not been for your cast, you would have not have taken so long. Since having a cast on, all you have been wearing around was a tank top with your pea coat draped over it. When Mingyu was home, you had made sure to wrap your blanket scarf around since parading around the house in a tank top with a young teenage male around didn’t seem like such a smart idea. However, on account of what was going on right now, you knew a blanket scarf was not going to keep you warm outside so the pea coat would have to do.

In no time, you were strapped inside Baekhyun’s lavish car with two young men staring at you as if the world had just crashed in front of him. You blinked innocently, confused as to why they were trying to burn a hole in your scalp. “What? Do I have something on my face?”

Chanyeol turned fully around, his eyes wide with horror as he stared at your right arm. His voice came out a little harsher than he intended, but he couldn’t help himself after seeing the cast on your arm. “What the Hari, why don’t you ever tell us when something is wrong? I swear you could have tripped down a flight of stairs and would have never called us. Jeez, we are literally always the last ones to find out what’s wrong with you.”

You stared at the cast and then back at your worried friends. Shrugging, “I broke my arm a few days ago at work, I didn’t think it was any biggie. The last thing I want is to have any of you rush out from anywhere to try and come find me, when you’re already so busy with work. Don’t worry guys, your beautiful Hari is fine as a button.”

Baekhyun heaved out a sigh, frowning. “Of course, it is a biggie Hari. You are someone we care about, and since High school has ended, we have become so busy in our work that we hope that you at least try to take care of yourself. But when this happens we feel really guilty… because we weren’t there to prevent it from happening when we already swore to you that we would protect you forever…” His eyes flickered over to the cast, wondering how much pain you were in when it happened.  

You rolled your eyes at your dramatic friends, but a smile had played on your lips. “Oh come on guys, you can’t expect me not to get hurt at work. happens. Anyway, what’s the plan for today?”

“I don’t even want to go anywhere anymore,” grumbled Chanyeol, the once bright smile he had on had long disappeared and was replaced with a miserable expression. “Maybe we should stay at Hari’s, watch a movie and then head home like we used to?”

You let out a loud gasp, “What! Why not? You can’t just not call me for a few months, show up out of nowhere, give me high hopes and then crush it with the palm of your hands. Come on, we have got to do something. When was the last time it was just us?”

“Well if we had known that your arm was broken, we would have gladly offered to come see you every day and take care of you. It worries me to death that you up here by yourself, Hari. Why don’t you consider moving down here with me or Chanyeol? At least then we’ll have people watch over you 24/7… in case anything happens,” suggested Baekhyun. His eyes had not betrayed anything that he had just told you, which meant that he was being honest.   

You waved your free hand in the air nonchalantly. “How many times do I have to tell you guys? I can take care of myself! Nothing happened to me yet, and nothing will. If there comes a day that something happens to me, just bring sushi to my grave and I will forgive you.”

Chanyeol threw a hard look your way, his eyes seething at what you had just said. He reached out and gave you a semi-hard slap on the head for daring to say such a terrible thing. “Keep your dark sense of humour to yourself Hari, nobody is laughing at such matters.”

You looked at Baekhyun for help, but all he did was shake his head. You threw your hand up in exasperation, hating the way things were turning out. They had come all the way down here to come and play with you, but now that they saw the cast, they were second guessing what to do. When it came to your health and safety, Chanyeol was the second most protective next to Kai. Throughout high school, he constantly made sure that that not a scratch had ever been placed on your body. He treated you like you were one of the guys, but when it really came down to it, he secretly made sure no one ever touched his darling sister. The whole Hayoung thing had pissed him off to the point he considered murdering the girl (but for Kai’s sake he did not), and now that he was seeing your cast for the first time, he was silently beating himself up for not being a better friend.

Seeing the deep look of concentration on Chanyeol’s face, you rummaged your mind for an idea before he could fully make up his mind. Once his mind was set, there was no chance of changing. After a few seconds, an idea crossed your mind, something that you had done many times in the past to guilt trip the boys to doing what you want to do.

Oh, Shin Hari… you are such a clever little devil. You applauded yourself for how smart you can be, before clearing your throat. You tried your hardest not to blink so that your eyes would start burning and the tears would begin to form. “I can’t… believe you are just going to turn me down like this. You kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter