Five

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KANGNAM - DELICIOUS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyT5aiAr2b4

---

It was out of sheer luck that you came across Kyoto’s Noodle bar. After you turned 16, you spent almost a year searching for a place to hire you. However, with your parent’s bad rep and the fact that you were still in high school, not many places were willing to take you in. You begged, sobbed and even tried to lie your way into getting a job, but nobody wanted you.

Nearly all of your hope was crushed, but with one last try, you took a step into Kyoto’s Noodle Bar and handed your resume. The person who accepted your resume was the old grandma who owned the restaurant.

“Do you like to cook?” Grandma Park had asked you as she read over your resume.

You bit your lip and shook your head. “I don’t know how to cook.”

“But would you like to learn?” She inquired with a genuine look of curiosity in her eyes.

You nodded fervently, showing both enthusiasm and a spirit that she hadn’t seen in a long time. Without any hesitance, Grandma Park pushed her circular glasses up the bridge of her nose, placed your resume down on the counter and asked you to come to the kitchen with her.

The rest was pretty much history, because now you were not only the head waitress in the restaurant but also the assistant chef when the Head Chef wasn’t in. 

Grandma Park was the most compassionate person you had ever come across in your life. Out of every adult you had ever encountered, she was the only one to give you a chance. When nobody believed in you, she was the one who did.

It was hard not to love her. Even her customers, who knew her very well and were regulars, treated her like she was family.

Unfortunately, as strong willed as Grandma Park was, she couldn’t run away from time. She passed away last year without a will. It was heartbreaking for not only her family, but for her employees and customers, too. What were they going to do without Grandma's devotion? The only way the restaurant had been so popular was all thanks to Grandma Park and her years of dedication to this place. 

Eventually the restaurant was handed down to her son-in-law, who revamped the whole restaurant and took away all of Kyoto’s signature portraits away and replaced it with modernized photos of Geisha’s. It was tacky, hideous and made many regular customers walk away in disappointment. In truth, nobody liked Grandma Park's son in law. He was an who bossed people around and felt that it was okay to treat someone like crap just because they weren’t a manager like him.  

When Grandma Park was still here, he did not say anything and acted like a weasel but now that she was gone, he thought of himself as the mighty King. Whenever he threatened to let you go when you were late, a part of you did wish he would fire you, just so you can laugh in his face. Out of everyone in the crew, you and your co-worker Rijin were the best. Nobody else stayed as late for the restaurant or woke up as early to clean the restaurant the way you and Rijin did. If you were gone, Rijin swore that she would be gone, too. Since Grandma Park was no longer here, there was really no point in staying at a place where people treated you horribly.

Aside from how good the pay was, you knew you could find something better now that you were older, wiser and more experienced.

“Where are you walking to? Isn’t this where you work?” asked Mingyu, his voice breaking you out of your thoughts.

You blinked in surprise and then glanced up at the board at the top. Kyoto’s Noodle bar.

“Wait, how did you know I work here? I didn’t even tell you where I worked…” You mumbled, puzzled. Then your eyes widened slightly as you opened the door. “Stalker?”

“I’m telling you, I’m from Planet Diamond. We are highly advanced people,” replied Mingyu. He gently pushed you inside.

“So are stalkers,” you thought out loud.

“We’ll talk more,” winked Mingyu.

“Welcome to Kyoto’s Noodle Bar!” The voice belonged to none other than your darling co-worker, Rijin, but your eyes were solely glued on Mingyu as he sat himself down at an empty table. He ushered you away with his hands and smiled. You could have sworn a halo was hovering over him, but just as you were about to look up and question the gods, someone called your name.

“Shin Hari!” Rijin’s bubbly voice greeted you.

You broke your gaze away from Mingyu, and saw Rijin smirking  your way and staring at you with questions in her own eyes. You flashed her a sweet smile, before turning back to Mingyu with a scowl. “Stay. Don’t move an inch. I have to somehow convince my Boss to let you stay here.”

Mingyu placed his elbow on the table and cupped his cheeks. He innocently nodded his head, “Your words are my command, my landlord.”

“Yah! Shhhh!” You hushed him, hoping that nobody caught what he said. Mingyu smiled in response. It was so amusing watching people freak out on small stuff.

After you clocked in, you went downstairs to the office. You gave a light knock on the door.

“What do you want?!” yelled your boss.

You flinched slightly from how high his voice was, but nonetheless, boldly walked in afterwards with your chin high in the air.

“Morning Boss.” You bowed and then straightened up to see his bald head and shiny nose beaming at you.

“Were you late today?!” he questioned, his voice almost close to a shout.

“No, but I have a very important request to ask of you.” You didn’t exactly think of a master plan while you went down to the dingy basement. When it came to bullting, you were more of a person who went with the flow rather than over stressing yourself.

Your Boss looked up at your with a crossed expression. “I will not give you a raise. You have to earn it, Shin Hari.”

“I’m not asking for one,” you bluntly replied. You crossed your arms and cleared your throat. “My long lost brother from America has come to visit me.” *Okay well that's great Hari, you now are lying that you have a brother. What goodness will you even get out of this??* 

Your boss snorted and shrugged. “So?”

“So… I need you to let him stay here for the rest of the day until we close.”

“What?!” Your boss grew outraged and stood up. He walked over to you with trudging footsteps. Fortunately for you, he was a little shorty while you were blessed with a model like height. Instead of being intimidated by him, you actually thought it was funny that he had to stare up at you whenever he scolded you.

He placed his hands on his hips and puffed out his fat cheeks. “Your brother coming to visit you has nothing to do with the store. By allowing him to sit here, he is wasting a seat that could be for a valued customer.”

You held back the urg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter