Two

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SUGAR FREE - T-ARA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ34jGSFPUY

Oh Bar was bouncing with lively music tonight. Considered one of Korea’s top ten bars, the music, service and atmosphere was of no disappointment.

It was Kai’s birthday today and everyone came together to rejoice his special day. While Kai was being fed shots by his buddies, you went to the bathroom to check on your make up. You’ve been here for only an hour and was already too drunk for your own good thanks to Chanyeol who challenged you to doing shot for shots.

Many people looked your way, bewildered by your y style and outrageous pink hair. Some guys even had the nerve to slip their arms around your waist, but it didn’t bug you. Instead of giving them any of your attention, you coldly brushed them away and walked on. You could hear them call you bad names, but that only boosted your confidence. There was something about hurting a man’s pride and having them call you that made you smirk in satisfaction. 

You popped in a gum and pushed your way past the crowd of dancing people and made a bee line towards to the ladies room.  The washroom was jam packed with a crowd of drunk girls waiting in line to use the toilet. Fortunately for you, all you needed to do was double check on how you looked. When one girl finished washing her hand, you took the spot and whipped out your face powder from your clutch.

As you began to dab the powder on your face, you couldn’t help but smile at yourself. *You have come a long way Shin Hari.* As you reapplied on your make up, one girl started talking to you.

“Wow, I really love your pink bob cut. Is it a wig?” asked the girl, who looked too drunk to function.

“Thanks… it’s my real hair,” you replied with a small smile. The girl didn’t say anything else but blatantly stared your away, as if transfixed by the burst of pink. You tried to pay no mind to her and took out your favourite lipstick.

And then she did something you never thought any girl had the gall to. She reached out to yank on your hair. Instantly, your eyes widened in shock and you dropped your lipstick on the counter. Did this girl want to pick a fight?! You slowly turned towards her with a scowl on your face, “D-did you just touch my hair?!”

“Sorry, I just had to see if it’s real,” the girl sheepishly replied and began rinsing her hand.

Your expression twisted up in horror and suddenly you wanted to throw up. You threw your lipstick in your clutch and left the washroom with the need to vomit. *That girl did not wash her hands and dares to touch my hair with her dirty hands?! How ing unsanitary!!!* Normally you would have told the person off, but since she hadn’t washed her hands during your exchange, you didn’t want to even try getting into a shouting match with someone like that. The last thing you wanted was to have germs on your face.

By the time you returned to the large booth, your buzz wore off and everyone had given Kai a break from taking shots and had divided off into different parts of the bar to socialize. There was only him and Xiumin left, chatting and catching up with each other. You sat down on the empty seat between him and Xiumin with puffed out cheeks and crossed arms. “The next person who touches my hair with their dirty hands will die!”

The two of them glanced at each other and then Xiumin stood up and said he was going to go find Luhan, Suho, Sehun and Kyungsoo. Apparently the four of them had gone off to the dancefloor.

When you guys were left alone, Kai looked at you in concern. For someone who had a couple of consecutive shots in a row, he was still standing strong and did not look one bit drunk. He placed a hand on your knee and gave it a tender squeeze. “You okay, my beautiful biffle?”

It wasn't hard to make you smile. Hearing him say that made you feel a slightly bit better, though you still tried to play off the annoyed mask. “You would never guess what had happened to me just now.” You reached out to pour yourself a soju shot, but Kai’s hand stopped you. His eyes were hard and serious. Usually when you said that Kai would ask you what was wrong and then you would go into a whole story of what had happened, but this time he could really tell that you were pissed off judging by your dark demeanour. “What? Did someone touch inappropriately? Did you tell them you have an almighty best friend that goes by the name of Kim Jongin?”

It sounded like he was joking, but his eyes were telling you a different story. Just as you were about to open your mouth to explain what just happened in the ladies room, someone called out his name.

Kai’s eyes rounded at the voice and he looked up. His lips stretched out wide into a bright smile as he stared at the person. “Hayoung! You made it!” He stood up and went over to his other best friend, forgetting all about what you were talking about. The two of them embraced tightly, and you could see how happy he was seeing her. Your shoulders deflated and you looked away at the intimate scene.

“Hayoung, come say hello to Hari!” Kai was holding onto her hand tightly as he led her towards the booth.

You stared up with a forced smile, only to be greeted with Hayoung’s usual pursed lips. She didn't even bother to look your way, as if you weren't worthy enough to be looked at. But that was just Hayoung being Hayoung. It was rare for the two of you to be in one room together. Hayoung came from a very wealthy family, which meant that she was very stuck up and critical of whom she kept in her circle. If you aren’t from a prestigious background, then you were just a speck of dirt on her shoes. Instead of trying to be friends with you for the sake of Kai, she only shoved you away and kept Kai all to herself.

Kai always told you that Hayoung would eventually warm up to you. It has been more than six years since he had said that, and not once had she changed.

Instead of saying hello, Hayoung just made a noise with the back of throat and said she was thirsty. Kai shook his head, but said nothing else as he pulled her down to sit on his other side. Kai poured her a cup of water and asked about her day. As she rambled on, Kai tried to include you into the conversation, but Hayoung would always find some other way to kick you out of it. When they started taking pictures, you knew it was your cue to leave. There was no point in staying somewhere you weren’t wanted.

“I’m going to grab myself a drink from the bar,” you mumbled. You weren’t sure if Kai had heard, but what’s the point anyways? He was too busy with Hayoung to even care about you.

You sat down on the stool at the bar and ordered gin and tonic. As the night wore on, so did the music. It got louder, heavier and crazier as midnight drew. You sat by yourself for a long time, staring up at the golden couple above you. From where you were sitting, you had the perfect view of Hayoung and Kai.

Without realizing it, a frown was on your lips as you chewed on the olive. *Just because she’s rich does

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter