Baekyeol

EXO Drabbles

It's like you're my mirror

 

 

 

 

Love. Love was something that Chanyeol was always unsure of. It was something that you heard about since the moment you were old enough to listen. It was something that had so many contexts, so many different meanings, and yet it always seemed to bubble down to the same thing.

Love was something that meant a lot. It was a strong way to say that you liked something or someone.

It was something that you just knew, whether it meant that you loved ice cream or your family, love made sense, but at the same time, for Chanyeol it also didn’t.

Or at least it didn’t, until one day it meant everything and it was like a light had switched on in his brain, and everything made sense, colours were brighter, and everything that he had been told about love, it suddenly had more meaning that he ever thought possible.

Love crept up on him, made him weak without realising, but that weakness wasn’t really a weakness at all, because Chanyeol realised as soon as it made sense, that perhaps love had actually don’t the opposite, it had made him stronger than he knew he would ever have been capable of being.

And it really did come slowly, but oh so fast. It was like the tide coming in. One moment he was playing on the sand and in the next it was as though he was up to his chest in water that he hadn’t even realised had been crawling in slow, slow enough for him to not even notice it until it was almost too late.

The tide was Baekhyun. And how he hadn’t realised was something he would never understand because it was Baekhyun. And Baekhyun was and always would be his strength.

Baekhyun made love make sense.

Aren't you something to admire, 'cause your shine is something like a mirror, and I can't help but notice, you reflect in this heart of mine. If you ever feel alone and the glare makes me hard to find, just know that I'm always parallel on the other side.

Baekhyun had been someone that had been by his side for what felt like forever. He shared in Chanyeol’s joy, his tears, his everything. And Chanyeol could have kicked himself for not realising sooner just how much his heart ached at the thought of Baekhyun not being there.

Baekhyun was his soulmate, of that much he had always been certain, but it hadn’t quite clicked how apt that really was.

To Chanyeol, Baekhyun was his missing piece, the person that made him his best, the person that helped him out of the darkness. Baekhyun was his light, and in so many ways.

He kept Chanyeol going, made him feel on top of the world, but reminded him that if he fell then the ground was waiting to catch him.

It was like he managed to make Chanyeol let go and be more aware all at once.

He was Chanyeol’s balance.

“I’ve been thinking,” Chanyeol said softly as he and Baekhyun walked through the crowded streets on a Saturday afternoon. No destination in mind as they strolled along their unknown path.

Baekhyun glanced over at him with a small smile, “Not too hard, I hope?” he joked, “What’s up, Yeol?”

“Don’t freak out or anything, but I think I might be in love with you,” Chanyeol told him. He didn’t really know how else to put it. And with Baekhyun, it was always best to just say things how they were.

He was nervous to admit it, sure. But Baekhyun was his best friend and there was nothing they didn’t tell one another. There was nothing that they could say that would cause judgement or ruin the bond that they had.

Chanyeol was certain on that, and so even if Baekhyun didn’t feel the same way, it would be okay. Because Chanyeol would be okay with knowing that he put it out there at least, and it didn’t matter if Baekhyun didn’t love him back in the same way, because he knew Baekhyun loved him. And so long as Baekhyun was happy, so was Chanyeol.

“How did you come to that conclusion?” Baekhyun asked, there was a slight tremor to his voice, but it was okay. Because when Chanyeol looked at him, he knew that it was his Baekhyun that he was talking to. The Baekhyun that no matter what, would be by his side.

Chanyeol let out a breath of air as he pulled Baekhyun towards the park, steering them to one of the empty benches so that they could sit.

He twisted his body to better face Baekhyun before he spoke, “I think… I think I have been for a while, I just didn’t realise it.” He said, words strong despite his somewhat nervous demeanour, “You’ve always been someone special to me, you know that. And somewhere along the line the ways that you’re special to me have gotten stronger. You’re someone that I really don’t know how to be without, and not because I don’t think I could be on my own, but because I can’t remember a time in my life when you weren’t there.

 “I understand if you don’t feel the same way. I really do, but I think I just needed to tell you. Even if it’s a little bit selfish, because if I didn’t then it would have been the first secret I ever kept from you and in a way I think that would have been a lot worse.

 “But I am in love with you. I don’t know since when, and I don’t know what changed to make me see it, but it’s just how it is” Chanyeol let out a breathy laugh, his eyes a little watery now that he had finally gotten it all out.

Baekhyun nodded, understanding as ever as he looked back at his best friend. His eyes were threatening to spill over too, but he fought back the tears that wanted to make themselves known. He smiled up at Chanyeol, shaking slightly, but to Chanyeol’s relief, he didn’t look put out by the idea.

“Wow,” Baekhyun whispered, clearing his throat before being able to speak properly again, “I’m flattered, obviously,” he joked, and it eased Chanyeol’s worrying more than he realised it would. “I’m glad you told me. Because it makes this a whole lot easier…”

“What do you mean?” asked Chanyeol in confusion.

Baekhyun laughed, soft and sweet, like music to Chanyeol’s ears, “I was going to ask you to come over tonight. I was going to tell you that I’ve been trying to think of the best way to tell you something. Because the truth of it all is, that I’m in love with you too. And I think on some subconscious level I’ve always known that I am. I’ve always known that you were the one person capable of making me feel this way. So you have no idea, Yeol,” he said, “No idea how much it means to me to hear you say that you love me the way that I love you.”

'Cause with your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul, I can tell you there's no place we couldn't go. Just put your hand on the glass, I'm here trying to pull you through, you just gotta be strong.

Baekhyun was the love of his life. The one person in the entire world that knew him completely, and there was nothing in the existence of the universe that would ever change that.

It was the most important day of his life as he stood beneath the arch of woven branches, decorated with Baekhyun’s favourite flowers.

Kyungsoo was stood beside him, looking dapper in his midnight blue suit, a ring in his pocket waiting for the moment to play its part.

Minseok stood under the arch too, arms in front of him as he laced his hands together and gave the band a nod.

Music flooded the back garden of his parent’s home, and the sun had set to allow for the twinkling lights overhead of the guests to shine to their fullest.

He looked up to see Baekhyun step out of the house with his dad. Like Chanyeol he was in a simple black tux, but it didn’t matter what Baekhyun wore, didn’t matter how he looked because to Chanyeol, he would always be breath-taking.

It knocked the air out of Chanyeol’s lungs as he watched Baekhyun walk down the aisle, getting closer and closer by the second. He felt like he couldn’t breathe, like the oxygen had been out of the world, and he was more than willing to let himself fall into the whirlwind of chaos that followed so long as Baekhyun was by his side.

And then Baekhyun was in front of him and taking Chanyeol’s hands in his own and suddenly he could breathe again. Because Baekhyun was his lifeline, and he knew in that moment that he would love this man for the rest of his life. And he knew that wherever he woke up in the next life, he would keep on loving Baekhyun until the stars exploded and everything that he knew ceased to be.

And even then after, he knew. He knew that no matter what may come, what may go, he would love Baekhyun with everything that he had for the rest of forever.

“We are gathered here on this beautiful evening,” Minseok began with a smile, “To join and witness the union of these two souls. Two people that I have known for more or less my entire life, who we can all see love each other more than the moon loves the sun. Chanyeol and Baekhyun have written their own vows for today, so if you’ll be with me in listening, I’ll hand this over to Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol’s eyes still hadn’t moved away from Baekhyun. It was like nobody else existed and in that moment, they really didn’t. Because in front of him was the most incredible being that he had ever had the pleasure of knowing.

“Byun Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said, his entire aura aglow with the love and joy that he felt, “When I was young, I never could have imagined being this happy. Knowing you was gift enough to make my life worth living. Through every low, through every high, you’ve been there.

 “I have loved you from the moment I laid eyes on you, and that love has grown over the years into something stronger. Something that I don’t know how to put into words. You have changed me for the better, you’ve always pushed me to be my best and you have been my rock in the whirlwind of life.

 “Everything I have, I would give up in a heartbeat if it meant I got to see you smile. Everything I know, I would willingly forget just to hear your laugh. Everything I am, is nothing if I don’t get to hear your voice. Because you are the most amazing, most special person that I have ever known, that I will ever know. So if you’ll let me, I will love you for the rest of our lives. I will protect you for as long as I live, and I will strive to make you happy until the day you utter your last breath.” He promised soundly, with everything that he had, and he meant it all and knew that he would always mean it.

Baekhyun reached up with one hand to brush away Chanyeol’s tears with his thumb. And Chanyeol had never been so happy in his life.

Baekhyun was crying too, but it didn’t matter because in the next moment he was speaking, “Park Chanyeol,” he said through his tears, a smile on his face that shone with the love of a thousand lifetimes, “I don’t think you understand just how much you mean to me. You’re this person that came into my life and turned it upside down in all the best ways. You’ve made me rethink everything I thought I ever knew and made me realise how much more life has to offer.

 “I never thought that another person could make me this happy, but you’ve made me so happy, Yeol. You make me feel like I’m floating, but you never let me float away. You’re so amazing, you’re such a good person with such talent and you deserve so much happiness. So much happiness, Chanyeol. You have no idea. I love you so much. And to be here today, in front of our friends, our family and be able to show the world just how much to mean to me, to show them how sure I am to be by your side through thick and thin for the rest of our lives… Well, I don’t think I could explain how much that means to me. You’ve taken over my soul and wrapped me around you in a way that I’ll never be able to escape from. But that’s okay, because I couldn’t think of a better place to be. Or a better person to love with my everything.” Tears were flowing steadily down Baekhyun’s cheeks as he beamed up at Chanyeol, his hand still on Chanyeol’s face as a reminder that he was there, that they were doing this and that it would be okay for the rest of their lives so long as they were together.

Even Minseok was choked up as he smiled at two of his best friends on one of the most special days of their lives. “The rings?” he prompted.

Chanyeol turned to Kyungsoo, who passed him the ring with a smile and a nod of encouragement as Baekhyun turned to Jongdae, who pulled him into a hug before handing over the ring.

They both turned to face each other, eyes soft, faces aglow.

Chanyeol took Baekhyun’s left hand and slipped on the ring, “With this ring,” he spoke, “I thee wed.”

“With this ring,” Baekhyun repeated as he slid the other ring onto Chanyeol’s finger, “I thee wed.”

“It is my honour,” Minseok spoke up, “to announce for the first time that you are now husbands. You may kiss.”

Chanyeol wasted no time in taking Baekhyun’s face in his hands and pulling him in to a kiss that had the crowd cheering and taking photos.

Byun Baekhyun was his, and he in turn was Baekhyun’s in his entirety.

'Cause I don't wanna lose you now, I'm looking right at the other half of me. The vacancy that sat in my heart, is a space that now you hold. Show me how to fight for now, and I'll tell you, baby, it was easy coming back into you once I figured it out, you were right here all along.

Chanyeol laughed, hard enough that he felt he might bust a gut as he and Baekhyun ran around the corner, hiding behind a dumpster from their friends.

He couldn’t help it, they were twenty-four and acting like they were fourteen as they crouched down and tried their best not to be caught.

Baekhyun shoved his hand over Chanyeol’s mouth as he tried to stop his own uncontrollable laughter. “Shup up, oh my god! We’re going to get caught, you idiot!”

It didn’t matter though, because in the next moment Kyungsoo and Jongdae were stood over them with looks of utter triumph.

“You’re loud, I hope you know that.” Kyungsoo grinned easy as he helped Baekhyun back to his feet and wrapped an arm around him. “Idiots.”

Baekhyun chuckled as he watched Jongdae try to help the still laughing Chanyeol back to his feet, “I know, but to be fair, that was ing hilarious.”

“Yeah, but as funny as pushing Luhan into the lake was, him and Sehun are still looking for us, and I think they’ve managed to drag Kris and Yixing in to help, so we need to get moving” Jongdae laughed, “Come on, we can hide at my place.”

They carefully made their way to the alley’s entrance to make sure the coast was clear and then the four of them were running like mad men to Jongdae’s apartment.

It was times like this that Chanyeol loved the most, the times when they all just let loose and just act like kids again.

He loved more than anything that despite all the years that he and Baekhyun had been together romantically, they were still best friends above all and no matter what, they still had fun.

Between work and bills and everything else, it was sometimes hard to find time to just be silly and enjoy life to its fullest, and by god did they make the most of it when they found the time.

It took them a good ten minutes to get back to Jongdae’s house even with the dead sprint that got them there.

“That…. Was… Insane” Kyungsoo panted as he flopped down on Jongdae’s sofa beside the said man.

Jongdae nodded, “you’re telling me.”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol had collapsed on the floor, chests heaving as they tried to catch their breaths.

Chanyeol’s head fell to the side as he looked over at Baekhyun, whose eyes met his almost as though drawn there. He smiled at Chanyeol with that beautiful carefree smile and it was like Chanyeol was falling in love with him all over again.

“I love you,” Chanyeol mouthed, loving the way that Baekhyun’s eyes practically sparkled.

Baekhyun watched him for a moment, his features soft and gentle and so full of feeling, “I love you more,” he mouthed back.

“Impossible,” Chanyeol whispered, reaching out and taking Baekhyun’s hand, lacing their fingers together.

And to Chanyeol, it really did feel impossible for anyone to love more than the way that he loved Baekhyun.

It's like you're my mirror, my mirror staring back at me. I couldn't get any bigger, with anyone else beside of me. And now it's clear as this promise, that we're making two reflections into one. 'Cause it's like you're my mirror… My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me.

Chanyeol kissed Baekhyun with everything he had as he carefully manoeuvred them towards their bedroom.

They had just moved into their first home together. They had actually bought a house and Chanyeol was beyond excited. It was weird; it felt so grown up, and despite them having been married for a year now, it really felt like a very big step in their relationship.

They made it to the bedroom without too much hassle, though Baekhyun’s shirt had been lost on the way, and Chanyeol’s was tossed aside as he kicked the door closed behind them.

“You know,” Baekhyun panted against Chanyeol’s lips as he’s fingers worked open his husband’s jeans, “We have a lot of rooms to christen in this house.”

Chanyeol hummed, “And then we get to freak out all our friends when they realise that no matter where they sit, we’ll have had smokin’ hot there” he chuckled as his lips moved to Baekhyun’s neck.

“Mmm, I can’t wait for that,” Baekhyun said, “Now, you need to show me just how hot that is gonna be.”

Chanyeol grinned at him before delving in completely. He was quick to ensure that they were out of their clothes and soon enough Baekhyun was writhing beneath him on the bed, screaming out his name until his voice was hoarse.

And that only spurred Chanyeol all the more. He knew that Baekhyun feeling good made him feel good, and seeing Baekhyun fall apart beneath him was a reward all in itself.

“Please, Yeol… Ah…” Baekhyun begged, “You feel so good… Ah, so, so good baby”

Chanyeol grunted, hips snapping forward to coax a throaty moan out of Baekhyun, “I’ve got you, don’t worry. Come on. Let go, Baek. Let go…”

With a cry of Chanyeol’s name, Baekhyun tipped over the edge. He pulled Chanyeol along with him and soon enough they were both spent.

Chanyeol wiped them both down with a damp cloth before coming back to cuddle up to Baekhyun in their bed. Their bed in their new home. Their first home bought with their own money. Together as husbands.

It was surreal. And Chanyeol loved every minute of it.

Baekhyun’s head was tucked into his neck, a leg swung over Chanyeol’s as they laid together. “You know, we’ve been together for eight years now. Eight years, Yeollie. How crazy is that?”

“I don’t know, Byun Baek. Eight years is nothing when you’re spending it with the person you love. Every moment I get to spend with you is the best moment I could ask for.” Chanyeol said before pressing a kiss to Baekhyun’s hair, “And besides, in two months it’ll be nine years”

“Nine years with my best friend,” Baekhyun mused, “How did I get so lucky?”

Chanyeol smiled gently to himself, “Nah. I’m the one that got lucky, Baek. You’re everything I’ve ever wanted in life. I could die today and I wouldn’t regret a single second of my life because of you.”

“Well, as much as I love the sentiment. I plan on keeping you around until we’re old and wrinkly and our great-grandkids are running around our house, driving us crazy.” Baekhyun said, open and honest as always.

Chanyeol’s heart warmed at the thought, “Taking all of our money because of how cute they are.”

“Coming to us to tell on their parents for being mean and grounding them even though they deserve it, but know that we’ll stick up for them anyway because we’re too soft,” Baekhyun laughed softly.

“Yeah, and then we’ll feed them too much ice-cream and our own kids will tell us off because they aren’t allowed sugar after nine. But we’ll give it to them anyway, because it’s revenge for when they were kids and told our parents on us.” Chanyeol said, the idea of it all making him feel like he could soar.

“God, I love you so much” Baekhyun breathed, “So much.”

“As I love you.” Chanyeol promised.

And by god he couldn’t wait to live their future together.

Aren't you something, an original, 'cause it doesn't seem merely assembled. And I can't help but stare 'cause I see truth somewhere in your eyes. Ooh I can't ever change without you, you reflect me, I love that about you, and if I could, I would look at us all the time.

“Oh my god, oh . CHANYEOL WE’RE GONNA BE LATE!! Haneul’s in the car and you know he’s gonna change the radio station!”

“COMING!”

Chanyeol burst into the room; tie still undone and grabbed Baekhyun’s hand, pulling him out of the house and to the car.

“We’re gonna be late~” Haneul sing-songed from the back seat as Chanyeol and Baekhyun climbed in.

Chanyeol glanced back at their youngest with a raised brow, “And you’re gonna be grounded if you don’t shut it, kid” he shot back playfully.

“Dad!”

“You started it,” Chanyeol laughed as Baekhyun started the car and pulled off, giving Chanyeol time to fix his tie and make himself presentable.

They made it into the auditorium just in time to find their seats at the front.

“Phone,” Baekhyun said, holding his hand out to their son, who reluctantly handed it over. He really should have known better than to think that he’d be able to keep himself busy on it instead of watching his sister graduate. “You can have it back after the ceremony.” Baekhyun promised.

Haneul rolled his eyes, but didn’t argue.

Chanyeol was positively bouncing in his seat by the time that Jisoo was walking the stage the get her certificate. He had his camera raised, being the doting yet purposely embarrassing dad that he always knew he could be.

Baekhyun wasn’t any better, he was clapping loud and whooping even louder. And Haneul delighted in joining in, more to embarrass his sister than anything else.

Jisoo pointedly refused to look at them as she made her way off of the stage to hide her face.

The end of the ceremony had Chanyeol and Baekhyun swopping Jisoo up in a big hug and handing her a small but long velvet box.

“What’s this?” Jisoo asked softly, looking between her dads in surprise.

Baekhyun smiled at her, proud and enthralled, “It’s a graduation present. We’re so proud of you baby girl. You’ve done amazing, and you deserve it.”

“And don’t lose it, it was expensive,” Chanyeol told her.

“Yeol!” Baekhyun chastised lightly, but there was a smile on his lips as he watched their daughter open the box to reveal a silver bracelet embossed with the date and a simple, ‘love daddy and Appa’.

“Oh my god. Dad… Appa… I… This is beautiful. Thank you both so much!” Jisoo beamed, “Put it on me?” she asked, handing the box to Chanyeol, who clipped it safely onto her wrist.

“Where’s my present?” Haneul asked.

Baekhyun raised a brow at him, “If you graduate in four years, you might get a present.” He said.

“Hey, what do you mean if?” Haneul objected, “Don’t you mean when?”

Baekhyun laughed and wrapped an arm around his son, “I’ve seen your grades, honey. You’re lucky you’re only fourteen and have time to bring them up. Because otherwise, I’d be telling your Halmoni. And we both know she won’t be as nice as me and Appa”

Haneul gasped, “You wouldn’t?”

“Oh, but I would.” Baekhyun grinned somewhat evilly. “It’s my trump card. So after summer, I want you up to a B otherwise, I will tell her.”

“You’re a monster!” Haneul groaned, but it was clear there was no malice in his words as he slumped against his dad in defeat.

Chanyeol laughed and ruffled his son’s hair, “Anyway, this is your sister’s day. Stop attention seeking,” he joked. “Let’s go get dinner and celebrate.”

Chanyeol walked behind his family as they made their way to the car and he couldn’t help but smile. His life was pretty damn great. He had two amazing kids and the best husband a man could dream of.

'Cause with your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul, I can tell you there's no place we couldn't go. Just put your hand on the glass, I'm here trying to pull you through, you just gotta be strong.

'Cause I don't wanna lose you now, I'm looking right at the other half of me. The vacancy that sat in my heart, is a space that now you hold. Show me how to fight for now, and I'll tell you, baby, it was easy, coming back into you once I figured it out, you were right here all along.

Baekhyun was crying hard and fast, just like he had at Jisoo’s wedding. This time it was Haneul up at the altar, his wife with tears in her eyes as they were pronounced husband and wife.

It took Chanyeol back all over again, reminded him of when it was Baekhyun and him joining themselves together like that, surrounded by their friends and family.

Chanyeol didn’t think there was anyone out there that he could ever love as much as he loved Baekhyun, but he could never have imagined just how big of an effect his kids would have on him.

These lives that he helped to mould. He remembered all the scraped knees, all the tears, all the laughter and wouldn’t ever change anything for the world. Because he and Baekhyun had done their part. They had raised two genuine, kind and loving kids and those kids were now adults, they were living their own lives and shaping their futures.

They came back home for Sunday dinners, they still asked their parents for advice, they still needed Baekhyun and Chanyeol just as much as Baekhyun and Chanyeol needed them.

Chanyeol watched as his son and now daughter-in-law walked hand in hand down the aisle as the crowd covered them in confetti.

Haneul paused as he passed his parents to shoot them a small smile and mouth ‘I love you’ to them before continuing down with his wife to head down to their wedding reception.

--

Chanyeol smiled as he and Baekhyun danced together, holding onto one another as they moved to the slow beat of the song that played.

It was late into the night and a lot of the guests had said their goodbyes, but Chanyeol and Baekhyun were there to see it to the very end.

“He looks so happy,” Chanyeol whispered into Baekhyun’s ear as he glanced over to see their son grinning as he twirled his wife on the other side of the dance floor.

Baekhyun hummed, “Because he’s found his other half,” He said, “He’s found the Chanyeol to his Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol kissed him then. He had been in love with Baekhyun for so many years, but every day Baekhyun gave him more and more reasons to fall all over again.

“Hey, dad. Hey Appa” Haneul was next to them, a hand on each of their shoulders.

Baekhyun smiled sweetly up at their son, who had been taller than him for a while now, “Hey honey. How are you enjoying your big day?”

“Well I danced with Jisoo and she made me cry” Haneul laughed, “Turns out she’s not such a snotface after all. But um, I just wanted to say thank you to both of you. You guys have always been such a great example of what love is. And I think that half of the reason I found Sooyoung is because of getting to see you guys as I was growing up. No matter what, you guys always came at things as a team. It didn’t matter if you had argued or if things were looking down, you guys always made me feel like there was hope, y’know?

 “You’ve been the best role models, the best  parents that a kid could ask for and I love you guys so, so much.”

“Are you trying to make your Appa cry?” Chanyeol choked out, “We love you so much, buddy.”

“So much,” Baekhyun agreed, “We’re so proud of you, baby”

“Room for one more?” Jisoo smiled from behind Haneul.

Chanyeol pulled the three of them into a hug, and yeah. It really didn’t get any better than that.

It's like you're my mirror. My mirror staring back at me. I couldn't get any bigger, with anyone else beside of me. And now it's clear as this promise, that we're making two reflections into one. 'Cause it's like you're my mirror. My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me.

Chanyeol felt a wave of love flood over him as his granddaughter giggled relentlessly as Baekhyun pushed her on the swings. She was a picture of joy and the look of Baekhyun’s face just as taken with the little girl.

“Grandpa!! Grandpa look how high I can go!” She squealed in delight at Chanyeol, who was recording her and Baekhyun on his phone.

Chanyeol laughed boisterously, “I see you, my sweet Jennie! You’re almost going over the top!” he exaggerated, making the girl scream louder in childish glee.

It was a little while later that Baekhyun managed to convince her to play on something else. He picked her up out of the swing and propped her on his hip as they walked over to the sandbox, where Baekhyun set her down to play.

“I can’t believe we have an almost five year old granddaughter” Baekhyun mused as they watched her dig around in the sand, off in her own little world as she mingled with the other children.

Chanyeol hummed, wrapping an arm around Baekhyun and leaning in to press a kiss to his temple. “Me either. Jisoo did good with this little firecracker. She’s going to be the smartest woman on this planet. Mark my words.”

“Oh definitely,” Baekhyun grinned, leaning into Chanyeol’s warmth, “But I think we might be a little biased.” He admitted.

Chanyeol chuckled softly, “Sure, but we’re right” he said easily, “I mean, have we been wrong before?”

“Thirty two years of marriage says we’re definitely right” Baekhyun beamed.

Chanyeol let out a low whistle, “Thirty two years, and you’re still the hottest man I ever laid my eyes on” he purred out, revelling in the way the Baekhyun giggled.

Baekhyun turned to face him, eyes soft and wrinkled at the corners, still as gorgeous as the first day that Chanyeol ever laid eyes on him. “I love you, giant” Baekhyun whispered, voice calm and soothing as ever.

“As I love you, pup” Chanyeol whispered back before leaning in and kissing Baekhyun with all the love he had in his body.

It was only a moment later that he felt a tug on his trousers, “Grandpa, stop being gross. Or I’ll tell umma that you were kissing Papa at the park!”

Chanyeol pulled back and laughed as he swooped Jennie up in his arms. “I’m sorry sweet pea, but I just love your Papa soooo much and I have to make sure I show him every chance I get.”

“But not with kissing, that gives you cooties, Grandpa! You don’t wanna get cooties!” Jennie giggled cutely as Chanyeol littered her chubby little cheeks with kisses.

Chanyeol gasped playfully, “Cooties? But then I must already have them because I like to kiss your Papa every day!”

“Ewww!” Jennie giggled again as Baekhyun reached over to tickle her tummy.

“Alright, alright,” Baekhyun chuckled, “It’s time to head home. You, young lady, need your nap. Because your mum will tell me off if I don’t make sure you have it”

“But I’m not tired!” Jennie objected as Chanyeol carried her to the car.

“Well, if you don’t have your nap, your mum won’t let you come have fun at Grandpa and Papa’s anymore. And you don’t want that, do you? Because that would make me really, really sad to never see my favourite little sweet pea again” Chanyeol said, playfully frowning at his granddaughter.

Jennie sighed as Chanyeol buckled her into her car seat and pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Fine, I’ll take my nap” she relented, “But I want chocolate milkshake when I wake up!”

“It’s a deal, kiddo” Chanyeol laughed, ruffling her hair before heading back around to the driver’s seat.

Baekhyun reached over and placed a hand on Chanyeol’s knee as he drove, giving it a soft squeeze every now and again as a reminder that he was there. That he loved Chanyeol with everything he had.

By the time they got to the house, Jennie was fast asleep. Baekhyun took a moment to coo over her little sleeping form before letting Chanyeol gently get her out of the seat and carry her into the house as Baekhyun held the door open before closing it behind them.

Chanyeol went up to put Jennie in her room to sleep, tucking her in with her favourite teddy bear before heading back down to Baekhyun, who had two cups of tea on the coffee table and was sat on the sofa flicking through channels on the TV.

“Hey gorgeous,” Chanyeol said as he slumped down beside his husband and wrapped an arm around him, pulling him in close.

Baekhyun smiled warmly, leaning up to kiss Chanyeol’s jaw, “Hey yourself, handsome.” He said, “Have you had a good day?”

“I’ve had a great day,” Chanyeol promised, “Getting to spend my time with you and our grandbaby. What more could I ask for?”

Baekhyun chuckled, “I don’t know, maybe early retirement so that we could just spend all of our days in bed together.” He teased.

“Oh, Byun Baek. I would give everything to spend every single day in bed with you. Especially a you,” Chanyeol winked.

“Oh shut up, you flirt.” Baekhyun laughed before kissing Chanyeol fully on the mouth. Every time he kissed Chanyeol it was like the first time. That same thrill of excitement, that same flutter in his heart. And he wouldn’t change that for the world.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow's a mystery. I can see you looking back at me, keep your eyes on me. Baby, keep your eyes on me. I don't wanna lose you now, I'm looking right at the other half of me. The vacancy that sat in my heart, is a space that now you hold. Show me how to fight for now, and I'll tell you, baby, it was easy, coming back into you once I figured it out, you were right here all along.

Retirement suited Chanyeol. It was what he’d been waiting for.

He and Baekhyun had been on a fair few trips around the world over the last few years and it really was heaven. Even in his old age, he felt like a spring chicken as he and Baekhyun navigated their way around.

Even just being at home was wonderful. Days filled with friends and laughter.

“I still can’t believe that you put your hip out again,” Baekhyun laughed as he placed his lemonade back on the patio table.

He and Chanyeol were in their back garden, joined by Jongdae and Minseok, lifelong friends and their partners in crime.

Minseok flipped him off in return, “Look, having a trick hip is the least of my worries. Dae and I found out yesterday that we’re going to be great grandparents!”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened. “Lisa’s having a baby?!” He demanded. “Holy . I remember when she and Jennie were running around the garden in their little armbands when Baek was chasing them with the hose. How is that baby having a baby! How is our baby having a baby with your baby!”

“Tell me about it!” Jongdae groaned, “I’m too young to be a great grandpa!”

Baekhyun snickered, “Oh yeah, seventy-six years young” he jibed easily, “Come on, she’s twenty. She’s got a great partner. Clearly she has a plan”

“You’re just biased because that partner is your Jennie!” Minseok laughed, “I’m surprised she didn’t tell you when Lisa told us.”

“To be fair to Jennie,” Jongdae said softly, “We found the sonogram, so I guess we more found out than they told us. They still haven’t told the kids yet.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened, “Jisoo doesn’t know she’s gonna be a grandma! Ha! I can’t wait to see that revelation. She’ll go grey as soon as Jennie and Lisa tell her”

“Aw, c’mon. She’s not going to go grey. Her hair will go white, she’s too graceful to go grey like her old dads” Chanyeol said, tilting his glass towards Baekhyun in a mock toast.

“Speak for yourself. My hair is still black” Baekhyun rolled his eyes playfully, “It’s Min that’s taken all the grey. It’s what happens when you marry someone older than you, Jongdae.”

Minseok raised a hand as though to hit Baekhyun, though it was all in good fun. “Two years is nothing,” he said, “you’re just mad because you don’t look as good as me.”

“I dunno, Min. Baek is still the hottest piece of I’ve ever seen,” Chanyeol winked, making Baekhyun laugh softly.

Baekhyun reached over to take Chanyeol’s hand in his own, “By god, I love you. My ever sweet Chanyeollie”

“As I love you, Baek. Always and forever,” Chanyeol promised.

Jongdae groaned at that, “Okay, okay, tone that down like right now, thank you” he said, though he had an arm tucked around Minseok, leaving him not much room to judge.

“Shut up,” Baekhyun grinned at Jongdae, “Anyways, are we still on for Italy next summer?”

Minseok nodded, “Oh definitely. I’ve been wanting to go back there since I was forty!”

“Ugh, tell me about it.” Chanyeol agreed. “Baek and I renewed our vows at this cute little place in Florence. I’ve been wanting to go back and see it all again someday. And it’ll be even better with my best friends there too.”

Jongdae smiled softly at that, “I’m glad we’re still friends after all of these years.” He said honestly.

“Mm, don’t worry. Even when we die, I’ve picked out a plot that can fit four people, so we can all be together forever.” Baekhyun teased, making Minseok snort on his drink.

Oh the days definitely weren’t bad at all, especially days filled with his favourite people.

It's like you're my mirror. My mirror staring back at me, I couldn't get any bigger, with anyone else beside of me. And now it's clear as this promise, that we're making two reflections into one. 'Cause it's like you're my mirror. My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me.

You are, you are the love of my life.

“Do you remember when Kyungsoo and Jongin got married?” Chanyeol asked as he and Baekhyun sat in bed.

Baekhyun looked up from his book and turned to face Chanyeol, “Yeah?”

Chanyeol smiled at the memory, “And it rained and all of the adults ended up on that bouncy castle in Kyungsoo’s parent’s back garden and we all got absolutely soaked!” he chuckled.

Baekhyun laughed softly with him, he placed his book on the nightstand before taking off his glasses and setting them down on top of it. “I remember Kyungsoo almost having a melt down because he thought that the rain would ruin the day and it ended up being the most amazing day of his life.”

“And Jongin ended up slipping over into that massive puddle when he tried to get off.” Chanyeol grinned, “But my favourite memory of that day is when we snuck up to the bathroom…”

“Oh my god,” Baekhyun grinned back, “That was… We could really bend into positions that sound never be bent into back then!”

Chanyeol wiggled his brows playfully, “Well, we might not be able to bend like that anymore, but we can definitely still make the walls shake!”

Baekhyun raised a grey eyebrow at Chanyeol, “Are you hinting at something, sweet husband of mine?” he asked.

“I’m saying that I’m not feeling very tired anymore” Chanyeol rolled slightly so that he was pressed up against Baekhyun, pressing a soft kiss to the other man’s lips.

Baekhyun turned to press into the kiss a little more. “Park Chanyeol, you’re a scoundrel” he whispered against Chanyeol’s lips, making him laugh.

“Oh, I’ll show you a scoundrel!” Chanyeol promised.

It didn’t matter that they were old, or that they couldn’t do things that they could when they were younger, because through all of the years Baekhyun and Chanyeol still knew each other better than anything.

They were two peas in a pod. Had been from the day that they had met. And no matter what happened, or where life would take them, that would never change.

Now you're the inspiration for this precious song. And I just wanna see your face light up since you put me on. So now I say goodbye to the old me, it's already gone. And I can't wait, wait, wait, wait, wait to get you home.

Just to let you know, you are, you are, you are the love of my life

Chanyeol laughed harder than he had ever laughed in his life as Baekhyun imitated Kyungsoo. It was Kyungsoo’s twenty first birthday and them and some friends were at Kyungsoo’s for a small get together to celebrate.

“Baek, I will seriously you up” Kyungsoo threatened, but there was no malice behind it as he reached over and shoved Baekhyun playfully, causing the older man to fall onto the floor with a yelp.

“You’re the devil,” Baekhyun laughed, getting back up and diving at Kyungsoo, sending them both flying in a massive heap. They were both laughing as Chanyeol took the chance to run over and dive on them too.

Kyungsoo let out a small scream as Chanyeol landed on them both, but then they broke out in a fit of laughter again and it didn’t matter anymore.

“Guys, stop hogging Kyungsoo!” Jongin whined as he walked over to pull Kyungsoo out of the pile of limbs and hugged him close.

Jongdae laughed at that, “Oh please. If it were up to you, you were the only one that would ever get his attention.”

“That’s true,” Minseok nodded from where he was sat on the sofa beside Yixing, who was grinning in agreement.

“You’re literally like a lost puppy around him,” Yixing said easily, turning to accept the drink and kiss that Junmyeon offered as he came back onto the room.

“What did I miss?” Junmyeon asked, scooting in to sit beside Yixing, throwing an arm around his shoulders.

Chanyeol looked up with a grin from where he and Baekhyun were still wrapped up in one another on the floor, “Jongin was jealous because me and Baek are getting closer to getting Kyungsoo to agree to be in a polyamorous relationship with us.” He said.

“Ah, fair enough.” Junmyeon nodded easily.

Kyungsoo even let out a laugh, “To be fair, you guys are super close to wearing me down,” he winked at the pair on the floor.

“Kyungsoo…” Jongin whined, making the others laugh easily.

Baekhyun stood up then, pulling Chanyeol to his feet also, “Hey,” he said, “We should all take a picture!”

They set up the camera that Jongin had bought Kyungsoo and set the timer before gathering around to take the photo.

Chanyeol stood with Baekhyun perched on his back, Kyungsoo in front of them with Jongin by his side with a hand over his shoulder.

On Kyungsoo’s other side stood Minseok and Jongdae, both grinning as they poked at one another’s faced. Beside Jongin stood Yixing, who was being back hugged by Junmyeon as the elder pressed a kiss to his cheek whilst looking at the camera.

They all looked happy and content as a few snaps were taken and then they were all giggling and moving to look over the photos, pointing out when each other looked stupid, or had blinked.

*

“Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked as he came into the living room with two mugs of tea, which he set down on the table before moving over to where Chanyeol was stood at the mantle with a framed photo in his hands.

“Just looking at this,” he said, tilting the photo to show Baekhyun. “I was just thinking about how we were so young back then. How we didn’t know how things would work out, or how happy we would be.”

Baekhyun smiled sweetly as he wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s middle and pressed into him. “God, we were so young… did you even think that we’d end up here?” he asked.

Chanyeol looked down at Baekhyun as he set the photo back on the mantel, “I always wanted to end up here” he said, turning in Baekhyun’s hold and taking Baekhyun’s face in his old wrinkled hands, “I always knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. But I never could have imagined that it would have been this amazing.

 “Through everything, good and bad, through all the hardships, through all the happiness. Kids, grand kids. Hell, great grand kids.  I always knew that I wanted to have this with you. I always knew that I would love you until the day that I die.”

Baekhyun’s eyes were damp with happy tears as he looked up at the love of his life, the man that had made him the happiest that he had ever been. “I love you so much,” he whispered. “You’re my everything, Yeol. Even back then, I knew that you were my forever. My happily ever after.”

“Baekhyun-ah,” Chanyeol whispered back, “My sweet Baekhyun-ah” he leant in and pressed a soft kiss to Baekhyun’s lips, full of love. Old love that was there to outlast even the universe.

The way that he felt about Baekhyun was something that had never and would never change. The way he felt about Baekhyun was magical, and to have spent his life with this man was just something else entirely. He couldn’t even put into words the way that Baekhyun made him feel.

Baekhyun was his happiness personified, and he knew with everything that he had, that that would never change. Not ever.

“You have your thinking face one,” Baekhyun said softly, reaching up to brush Chanyeol’s hair out of his face.

Chanyeol hummed in acknowledgment, “I was just thinking about you. About how happy you make me,” he said.

“Chanyeol, you’ve made me happier than I ever knew I could be,” Baekhyun told him. “You give an old man a reason to keep living.”

Chanyeol smiled, “Old man? I don’t see any old man here.” He said, “I only see the most beautiful, most handsome man that I have ever seen in my life. And when you’re been around as long as I have, you’ve seen a lot of people.”

“You’re biased,” Baekhyun laughed, his fingers painting patterns along Chanyeol’s temple.

But Chanyeol shook his head, “No, I just know a good thing when I see one. And you never let go of the good things, Baek. It’s why I’ve never let you go.”

“Even after all these years? You’re not bored?” Baekhyun asked.

“There’s never a dull day with you, my love,” Chanyeol promised, “Never, not one. Every day with you is like an adventure. Baek, I still get excited just to wake up next to you. I still live for the moments when we just sit together and watch a movie. For the moments that we can just sit and talk about our days. I still melt when I see you being a great dad. An amazing grandpa and great grandpa.

 “Every day with you feels like the best day of my life”

“I really love you, you know?” Baekhyun said, “I love you with every part of my soul.”

“As I love you, Baek” Chanyeol promised, “From the moment I laid eyes on you until the moment I stop breathing, I will always love you with everything I have. And even when I die, I’ll wake up in the next life and I’ll get to love you all over again.”

Baekhyun let out a soft laugh as tears fell from his eyes, “I can’t wait to spend every life I live with you.”

Boy you're my reflection, all I see is you. My reflection, in everything I do. You're my reflection and all I see is you. My reflection, in everything I do. You are, you are the love of my life….

Love was something that Chanyeol was always unsure of. It was something that you heard about since the moment you were old enough to listen. It was something that had so many contexts, so many different meanings, and yet it always seemed to bubble down to the same thing.

Love was something that meant a lot. It was a strong way to say that you liked something or someone.

It was something that you just knew, whether it meant that you loved ice cream or your family, love made sense, but at the same time, for Chanyeol it also didn’t.

Or at least it didn’t, until one day it meant everything and it was like a light had switched on in his brain, and everything made sense, colours were brighter, and everything that he had been told about love, it suddenly had more meaning that he ever thought possible.

To Chanyeol, love meant Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was love in human form.

Baekhyun was the universe.

Baekhyun was everything and then some.

Baekhyun, to Chanyeol, was love.

You are, you are, the love of my life…

 

 

 

 

A/N: I cannot tell you how much i love JT's Mirrors.
And honestly, the first pairing that comes to me when I think
about that song is BaekYeol because they're so...
Raw, y'know?
Anyways, let me know what you thought.
Tegwi~