KaiSoo.

EXO Drabbles

Two beds and a coffee machine.

 

 

Based on Savage Garden's Two beds and a coffee machine.
Click the title to find a link to the song~

 

 

 

 

 

And he takes another step, slowly he closes the door. Checks that he is sleeping, pick up all the broken glass, and furniture on the floor…

Kyungsoo fights back the tears as he goes silently around the living room to clean up all evidence of last night’s fight.

It had gotten pretty bad this time and Jongin had hit him pretty hard. He knew that he couldn’t do this anymore, knew that he was fooling himself into thinking that it was a good idea to stay.

He hisses as a shard of broken glass slices his finger. He wants to shout and scream, but he doesn’t. He can’t.

It takes him just over an hour to get the place looking perfect again. Make it look like the house of any wholesome, loving family.

He takes a deep breath and grabs the suitcase he’d packed the night before, once Jongin had fallen asleep. It’s only got a few bits in; clothes for the himself and the kids. Some cash, because he can’t use his card. Jongin would only track him down if he did.

He puts that in the boot of the car, then returns to get the kids. Sehun has only just e, and Minseok is only four, he hates to put them through all of this, and he prays to god that they understand that they need to stay quiet as they go. Thankfully, despite their young ages, they remain silent as he leads them out of the house and locks the door behind them.

 

Been up half the night screaming, now it’s time to get away. Pack up the kids in the car. Another bruise to try and hide, another alibi to write…

He buckles the kids in before climbing into the driver’s seat and setting off, tears falling down his cheeks as he does.

“Daddy, why are you crying?” Minseok asks from the back seat. He’s clutching at his teddy, and Sehun is sound asleep beside him.

Kyungsoo tries to smile, “Daddy’s just a little sad right now, baby” he says softly, “But it’s all going to be okay. Don’t you worry”

Minseok hugs his teddy closer but doesn’t question it further.

Kyungsoo hates that he has to put the kids through all of this, but he knows that in the long run it’s fir the best. He just wants them to have good lives. Happy lives. Lives like the one he should have had. He knows that Jongin isn’t a bad person… But the things he’s done, they’re bad things and Kyungsoo isn’t happy anymore. It’s not what it used to be, and until things could get better… if things could get better… he just didn’t know.

It makes him laugh in a bitter way, because it never should have been this way. It wasn’t at the start. Jongin had been a dream. He’d been sweet and caring and everything that Kyungsoo fell absolutely in love with.

But then, after ten years of being together, it all changed. First, Jongin lost his job, then the drinking started, and soon after came the violence.

The first time Jongin hit him, Kyungsoo was completely shocked. Jongin had been too. He’d cried all night and said sorry, and Kyungsoo had forgiven him because it was only an accident. But then the ‘accidents’ became more frequent and Jongin became less sorry for them.

 

Another ditch in the road, you keep moving. Another stop sign, you keep moving on. And the years go by so fast, wonder how I ever made it through…

Kyungsoo has done this before, ran away when Sehun was only three months old, but he’d gone back because despite all of it, he really does love Jongin. He loves him so damn much that it hurts. It hurts because Jongin is no longer the man he fell in love with… He’s a stranger and now when Kyungsoo’s heart skips a beat, it’s not because of love. It’s out of fear.

The worst part of it all, is that Kyungsoo knows the real Jongin is still in there somewhere, but this depression that has gotten it’s hooks into him has made it hard for the real Jongin to surface and a monster has taken his place on the surface.

It still dark out, being only four in the morning. The boys are asleep, and Minseok is still clutching onto his teddy bear for dear life. The kid is far too perceptive for his own good.

Kyungsoo lets the tears flow now, really lets himself feel the impact of it all until it becomes too much and he has to pull into a cheap hotel. He supposes that it’ll be better for the boys to sleep in an actual bed too.

He wakes up Minseok and carries the sleeping Sehun into the hotel, where he pays for the night and is handed the keys.

They head up to the room. It’s small, with only one bed and a sofa, so he puts the boys in the bed and then he bunkers down for the night on the sofa. It’s not the most comfortable of  sleeps but at least the boys are okay.

Safe and warm with a roof over their heads.

 

But there are children to think of, babies asleep in the back seat, wonder how they’ll ever make it through this living nightmare…

They wake up fairly late but well rested. They wash in the tiny bathroom and change into clean clothes before heading out again.

They head to a small café for breakfast before hitting the road again.

“Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da” Sehun chatters happily as he smears chocolate all over his face.

Minseok scrunches up his nose in distaste before looking back at Kyungsoo. “Daddy, where are we going?” he asks softly. His childlike voice is full of wonder and anticipation.

Kyungsoo pauses, he doesn’t know what to say, but he knows he wants to be honest whilst still protecting their innocence. So he settles on; “I don’t know, baby” with a small sigh, “We’re still working it out”

“So… It’s like a ‘venchur?” Minseok presses cutely, he’s watching Kyungsoo with those soft naïve eyes that only a small child possesses.

Kyungsoo can’t help but smile at how much his boys make him happy, make it all worth it, “Yeah, like an adventure” he says. His boys really do make his life worthwhile.

“We’re Bilbo and Dori” Minseok giggles, they’re his favourites, “And you’re Gandalf!”

Kyungsoo laughs softly, “But where are the others?” he asks, playing along. He’s thankful that he’s remembered to pack ‘The Hobbit’ -  that covers tonight’s bedtime story.

 

But the mind is an amazing thing. Full of candy dreams and new toys and another cheap hotel. Two beds and a coffee machine…

They drive most of the day, though stop every so often so that the boys can play and stretch their little legs, as well as see the sights.

“Far ober! Da misty mountain’s cold!” Minseok sings with Sehun gurgling as back-up. They’re walking around a small town to find somewhere for lunch.

They’ve only got a couple hundred pounds left and Kyungsoo knows that soon enough the jig will be up and he’ll have to head back. He’d have gone to his parent’s, but he doesn’t want to burden them.

And his friends don’t know how bad Jongin’s drinking has gotten. So he really is in this alone.

The freedom has been nice whilst it’s lasted.

 

But there are groceries to buy and he knows he’ll have to go home…

It’s almost one o’clock, they’ve had one last day of fun, but it’s time to go back, it’s time to face the music.

At least there is one thing Kyungsoo is confident about; Jongin would never hurt the boys. He adores them and Kyungsoo is sometimes jealous of the boys because with them, he’s the old Jongin.

Minseok stirs slightly and then he blinks and his eyes land on Kyungsoo.

“Do you love appa anymore?” he asks sleepily.

Kyungsoo frowns, “Of course I love your appa,” he says, “Why would you ask that?”

Minseok pauses, “Because appa was crying the other day and he said that it was because daddy didn’t love him anymore. And that it was all his fault. he said he shouldn’t have turned to Jack Daniel. Daddy, who is that?” he asks.

Kyungsoo bites down hard on his lip, “Nobody you need to worry about, baby. I… Me and Appa had a little fall out is all. But I still love him. I love him more than I thought I ever could love anyone. Appa was just being silly” he tells the four year old.

But Minseok only shakes his head, “It’s not silly to be sad, you told me that, remember. I think that Appa just needs to remind himself of what makes him happy, and that’s you. Daddy, you make him happiest” he insists and it breaks Kyungsoo’s heart so much more, because he knows it used to be like that, but lately… he isn’t so sure.

But for the sake of Minseok, he nods, “You’re right” he chokes out, so glad that Minseok can see the good in everyone, “We should make Appa smile again”

Minseok yawns, “And then you can be happy again too, seeing appa happy like he used to be makes you happy, right?”

“Right” Kyungsoo whispers, just as Minseok nods off again.

 

Another ditch in the road, you keep moving. Another stop sign, you keep moving on. And the years go by so fast. Wonder how I ever made it through…

As he drives he thinks back to when they were younger, thinks back to how Jongin used to be so happy and free.

He remembers the look on Jongin’s face when they brought home Minseok for the first time. And the way he’d screamed when he’d dealt with his first dirty nappy.

He remembers the good things and tries to block out what came after Jongin had been replaced at the dance studio.

He remembers the way Jongin’s eyes had lit up when Minseok was three and he’d said “Appa, I want to be a dancer” and then he’d done a little ballet routine on wobbly feet that he’d obviously seen Jongin do.

Oh, how Kyungsoo longed for those days again.

He’d forgive Jongin in a heartbeat if only he meant that he was sorry.

 

Another bruise to try and hide, another alibi to write, another lonely highway in the black of night, there’s hope in the darkness, I know you’re gonna make it…

 

They make it home just past nine in the morning. The boys waddle into the house in front of Kyungsoo. And unsurprisingly they shout hello to Jongin before heading straight for the toy room.

Kyungsoo walks into the kitchen on tired feet, his eyes are fighting to stay open. But the tiredness leaves him at what he bears witness to.

Jongin is stood over the sink, emptying bottle after bottle of alcohol, and Kyungsoo waits for all of them to be empty before he makes a sound.

“Jongin…” He says quietly, tentatively, not sure what to expect from his husband of six years.

Jongin turns, his hair is a mess and tears pour down his cheeks from red, puffy eyes. “Kyungsoo…” he croaks, “I can’t lose you too”

Kyungsoo gasps slightly as Jongin drops to the floor in a mess of sobs. And it’s only a second later that he’s beside him, cradling the sobbing mess of a man in his arms.

“When was the last time you slept?” Kyungsoo asks softly, brushing Jongin’s hair back out of his face.

“I don’t know” Jongin sniffles, “B-But I haven’t had a drink since you left. God, Kyungsoo… I’m so sorry. I am so, so, sorry for everything I’ve put you through. I know I can’t make this okay, I know I can’t take back what I’ve done, but I don’t want to be this monster anymore. I want to be the man you married again. I want to be a good husband to you and a good father to the boys. I… I need help. I… Last night, I called the doctors. I’m going to get therapy and I know you owe me nothing, but I really hope you’ll stay with me through this…

 “I need you, Soo. I need you. I am so damn sorry for this past year. I’m sorry and I just want to make everything better again” he pleads through his tears.

Kyungsoo is crying too by the time Jongin stops talking, “I can’t make any promises, but I’ll try, okay? We’ll make a fresh start and it you… if you prove to me that you’re serious about this… Then we’ll make another go of it” he says shakily.

Jongin nods, “I promise to be the man you deserve, Soo. I’ll be a better man for you”

Kyungsoo presses a soft kiss to Jongin’s forehead, “We’ll take it one stop at a time, okay Nini?”

“I love you, Kyungsoo. So much. How you put up with me… with m-my actions…” Jongin trails off as a new wave of tears take over him.

“I did it because I love you too. And I knew deep down that my husband, the man that I know and love, I knew he was still in there under that all that hurting…. I’ve always loved you Jongin, and I always will” Kyungsoo cries silently.

He doesn't know how long they stay on the kitchen floor, but it finally feels like things might be getting back on the right track again.

They have a lot more that they need to talk about, they have a lot more that they need to work through and there are a lot of unresolved issues that need to be addressed.

There is a lot that has happened in the past year of their lives that can’t be forgotten, but can be forgiven, can be worked passed.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know how long it will take to fix what has happened with them, but he knows that he loves Jongin with all his heart, and he knows that Jongin isn’t a bad person, he was just a person going through bad things that made some very bad choices as a result of not knowing what to do.

People tend to take things out on the people closest to them because they know that those people won’t leave, and Kyungsoo is proof of that.

But life is full of complexities that many people will never understand unless they’re in that situation themselves.

Kyungsoo loves Jongin, and right now, with Jongin making the effort to get himself help and to learn to be the man he wants to be again, he knows that things will be okay in the long run. That the boys will have two loving parents that are happy and will be able to smile again.

 

Another ditch in the road, you keep moving. Another stop sign, you keep moving on. And the years go by so fast, silent fortress built to last. Wonder how I ever made it…

 

Kyungsoo knows that this time… they’ll make it through.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: so it's been a while huh?

Sorry about that, things have just been so busy at the moment...

I hope this drabble makes up for it ☺ 

Drop me a comment and let me know what you thought!

TTFN!♡