[Story #4] A Different Ending {chapter 5}

[Collection] Gwi & Hye Ryeong (Scholar Who Walked the Night)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 5

            “How could you be this dumb?” Gwi chided in a soft voice. However, at the same time pulled Hye Ryeong into a protective embrace. “Hmph. He actually send this many gunmen. Seems like your king, really doesn’t want you.”

            Finished speaking, with Hye Ryeong in his hold, Gwi flew away from the palace.

***

            “I gave you an opportunity but you didn’t know how to use it to your advantage. Now you won’t ever have a chance to go back. There is no use for regret.” While Gwi’s lips were pronouncing this, his facial expression was containing, however, slightly a bit of pride.

            Seeing such a contradictory face on Gwi, Hye Ryeong thought of the past lover that he had mentioned to her. The past was evidently that painful, he, however, used blood and violence to ignore the betrayal he has received. Up until now, he was always this way; using anger to disguise hurt, using coldness to hide shyness. He was afraid of loneliness, but he was even more afraid of betrayal. Henceforth, he was this cautious, hesitant, and arrogant while still being servile.

            “You’ve said it before. You and I are the most alike.” Hye Ryeong sitting next to Gwi, and spoke her mind. “In the past, I was unwilling to admit. Now I’ve realized that we’re really alike. We both thought that by having unassailable power, we could cure the hurt that was a result of betrayal, and never be afraid of loneliness. However, from beginning to end, the feeling of emptiness was never filled. Let’s be each other’s company. In the endless and everlasting darkness, be interdependent. Doesn’t that sound good?”

            “Do you know what you’re saying?”

            “Can’t have trust by simply saying it. I remember you saying this. Time will tell. Besides we have a plenty of time.”

            “Sleep. Daylight is fast approaching.” Gwi supported his head with one hand, while reclining and closing his eyes.

***

            Under the dawning mountains, it began to drizzle. This sound of rain made her unable to fall asleep.

            “You can’t sleep?” A deep voice suddenly asked, scaring Hye Ryeong.

            Hye Ryeong sat up. “Hmm. Too noisy. You can also hear it right?”

            “What?”

            “The rain drops are beating against the leaves. Wind is blowing water vapor against the grass. It sounds very close, as if it’s next to my ears.”

            “Indeed, compared to humans, I can see much clearer, and hear much more sensitively. However, it doesn’t mean that like you’ve said to that extent. How did you become like this? Your powers are not strong, and now you’re even unable to sleep?”

            “How would I know? I was bit by you.” Hye Ryeong was not happy.

            “Come here.” He beckoned her, making her sit even closer. Domineeringly he encircled her in his arms, making her lay her ears on his chest. The entire world was only left with his firm and steady heartbeat. Not too long afterwards, Hye Ryeong felt at ease and fell asleep.

***

            Nighttime was arriving. The rain had just stopped. Nature’s fres

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter