Chapter 37

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: This is quite a long update. I'm really sorry for not being able to update more often. :( Btw, our Hanna's going to have her debut soon and her  debut song would be Ailee's Heaven. So for those of you who are not familiar, I really advice you to come listen to the song first and be familiar with its music video. It will be really helpful for the upcoming chapters. Have fun reading!  xx

 

 

CHAPTER 37

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

 

“Hanna? Hanna? Are you alright?” Manager Song’s voice woke me up from reverie. I shook my head to clear my thoughts and stared at her blankly. The events of last night kept popping inside my head, I could barely even focus.  I bit my lip absentmindedly, remembering the way it had been touched last night. That was my first. Baekhyun took my first kiss. It gives me a sort of pleasure and pride. The person I love is also my first kiss. Just how lucky could I be?

 

Manager rolled her eyes at me. “Have you been listening to me this whole time?” she demanded, getting a bit annoyed. We are inside the practice room and the boys are here with us. My gaze automatically turned to Baekhyun and he’s looking at me, a playful smile tugging at the corners of his lips. I glared at him and returned my attention towards Manager Song.

 

“Uhh, sorry, Manager,” I spoke, ducking my head. What am I supposed to do if my mind kept wandering off elsewhere? The beauty of last night’s turnouts can’t be forgotten that easily. My heart began to race just by the simple thought of it.

 

She sighed in frustration. “Okay, I’ll say this again but make sure to listen to every word I say, alright? I need your attention, Hanna. Today’s a big day for you,” she began and I nodded, willing myself to be attentive. She continued, “Right at this moment, we will start your recording at the studio. All the materials are there and well prepared. If we can finish the recording today, which I am entirely sure of, we’ll begin the filming for the music video tomorrow so you could have your debut scheduled next week. You got that?”

 

I let go of the breath I didn’t even realize I was holding. Wow. So this is really happening to me now.

 

“Yes, Manager. I understand everything perfectly well,” I replied.

 

Satisfied, Manager Ji Hye left the room and ordered for me to follow.

 

“We shall head off to the studio now,” she said as she left the door open for me.

 

“Can we come, Manager?” Sehun exclaimed right behind us.

 

“Of course, you can,” she replied, giving the boys a gentle smile. “Come on now so we could start.”

 

All of us left the practice room and filed into the hallway, following Manager Song’s stead.

 

I felt, or rather smelled, Baekhyun beside me. He whispered while facing ahead, “Nervous?”

 

Every part of me seems to become alert the moment he’s near. I answered immediately, “No.”

 

He chuckled quietly beside me. “Then why are you so out of it?”

 

“Quit playing like you don’t know the reason,” I said, rolling my eyes. We are both talking to one another in hushed voices while walking side by side, both looking straight ahead.

 

In my peripheral vision, I saw him duck his head, trying to hide his smile. He said after regaining his composure, “You’re flattering me.”

 

“I’m not. I’m just saying the truth. I won’t be like this if it wasn’t for you.” I tried to make my voice sound like I am blaming him but I failed – I sounded like I was actually enjoying I, like I love it.

 

He smiled again. “I love you.”

 

Warm blood rushed to my face and my heartbeat accelerated in an instant. I sped up walking, leaving him behind. I can’t stay with him. If I want to end this day successfully and with my mind still sane, I need to get away from him.

 

Baekhyun, what you do to me…

 

We arrived at the studio. Director Kim, who’s also associated with the boys’ repackaged album is there. He stood up from his swivel chair as we entered.

 

“So here’s our newest Idol,” he said as he extended his hand towards me. I shook it gratefully.

 

Manager Song spoke. “Is everything ready now, Director?”

 

“Yes, of course,” he said as he fetched an envelope on a desk drawer. “Here are the lyrics and the instrumental’s already well prepared. We can begin recording when Hanna’s ready.”

 

Manager took it and checked. Once satisfied, she handed it to me. I opened the envelope and took a peek at the stash of papers inside.

 

“Your debut song is entitled ‘Heaven’,” Director Kim began explaining. “It’s a love song, as you can see, but the emotions required for it is strong, heavy, and really dramatic. You can go inside the other room so you could listen at the instrumental. We’ll begin recording once you’ve finished your warm-ups and rehearsals.”

 

I looked at the boys before heading inside the mirrored room. They all flashed me a thumbs up and ‘fighting’ sign. I took a deep breath and left.

 

“Ready, Hanna?” I heard Director Kim spoke through the headphones. I nodded my head and he began to count. “Okay. 1… 2… 3…”

 

The music blasted on his third count.

 

I focused on the lyrics in my hand and tried to sing the song inside my head. It has a sort of sad but upbeat melody in it.  High notes were also needed here and there. The music stopped, signaling the end of my first trial.

 

“Were you able to follow?” Director Kim spoke. I looked at him through the transparent mirrors and nodded again, flashing him an ‘okay’ sign. I noticed that the boys already left their seat on the couch and are now standing around Director Kim. I smiled at them, my eyes rather lingering on Baekhyun.

 

“Now, let us hear your voice. Finish the song till the end so that later we can easily identify what has to be altered,” he said and signaled on the count of three with his fingers.

 

The music began again and I sang, my voice coming out this time.

 

It wasn’t hard to relate to the song. The lyrics were so emotional, so straightforward that I hadn’t even noticed that I was actually singing with my eyes closed on some of the lines. I let the music and the lyrics take over me and I finished it almost instantly.

 

I waited for Director Kim’s response.

 

He turned his head upward to look at Manager Song who’s watching me from behind him. “Well, it’s perfect isn’t it?” he said, disbelief and amusement and awe mixed in his voice.

 

Manager Song nodded her head, her face blank. “Did you record it?”

 

Director Kim shook his head. “I’m afraid not. It was only her second practice and I didn’t even expect her to do so well with a song given to her only a few moments ago.”

 

A proud smile appeared on Manager Song’s face. “That’s entirely the reason the CEO scouted her.”

 

We began recording and were finished after three takes. I removed the studio headphones and left the mirrored room to join them.

 

A round of applause welcomed me as I entered.

 

“Well done, Hanna. Well done,” Manager said as she clapped her hands.

 

“A new star is born,” Director Kim muttered, shaking his head.

 

I felt an arm drape over me and looked up to see Chanyeol beaming. “That was awesome, Hanna. You never really fail to surprise us,” he said.

 

“You nailed it!” Chen exclaimed, flashing me a thumbs up with both his hands.

 

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, shoved Chanyeol away and gave me a pat on the shoulder. “You’re amazing,” he muttered.

 

Baekhyun was by my side almost instantly. He draped an arm over me and started ruffling my hair, making me duck. “How could you be so good?! How?! How?! How?!” he shouted. I pushed him away rather forcefully, succeeding in setting myself free. I touched my hair and it was a tangled mess. I glared at him but he only laughed.

 

“This calls for a celebration!” Suho announced.

 

The boys hooted. This means another free meal at a restaurant, sponsored by the one and only Kim Joonmyun.

 

“I’ll share with the treat, too,” Kris offered and the boys exploded in a much louder fits of cheering. Looks like everyone’s going to have their stomachs full tonight.

 

 

***

 

 

We are back inside the practice room, all of us lying sprawled on the cold wooden floor. Baekhyun and I are lying opposite to each other, our heads almost touching. I felt my eyes slowly close.

 

“Heaven, heaven, heaven, heaven, hea-VEN!” Sehun kept singing in the background. It was the chorus of my song and it looks like he had just hit a last song syndrome.

 

“Ya, Sehun-ah, keep quiet. Someone’s trying to sleep here,” Luhan scolded from across the room. He has his arm draped over his face. Sehun pouted from having been told yet kept his mouth shut.

 

I rolled my eyes at them and sat upright. “I’ll just go to the restroom,” I said as I stood up, Baekhyun also standing after me. I stared at him questioningly.

 

“I’ll go, too,” he said and left the practice room, leaving me behind. I shook my head and followed. The other boys remained lying on the floor, their eyes already closed. I caught Baekhyun leaning against the wall when I arrived.

 

“Following me?” I teased, walking towards him.

 

He scoffed. “You bet.”

 

I only shook my head at him and did not dare to answer. We began walking side by side, both of us in silence. The entire third floor was empty since it’s almost around lunch time and everyone’s probably out grabbing their meals. Only the two of us can be seen walking in the hallway.

 

I suddenly felt something touch my hand.

 

I looked down and saw Baekhyun’s hand only inches from mine. I looked up at him and once again his eyes are focused on me, asking for permission. I smiled at him and looked straight, meaning a yes.

 

Baekhyun didn’t hold my hand but only twined our little fingers instead. We walked like that, swaying our hands like children.

 

“Shall we take the stairs?” he offered and I agreed. I understand that he’s trying to stall some time for us. I wanted it, too.

 

We went to the staircase and descended, taking one step at a time. The staircases were empty. Not much people have been using this si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter