Chapter 2

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

“Pffttt!!!”  

 

“Hey! Watch it!” My brother yelled, hitting my arm. I’ve just put a large amount of ramyun in my mouth and almost spitted it right at my brother’s face.

 

“It’s hot!!!” I countered, quickly drinking cold water. 

 

“Of course it is. I just finished cooking it.” My mom said, cutting our argument. For me, there is no other person as calm as my mom. No matter what we do, she always have that calm look in her face. Even if my brother and I do something wrong, she never loses her composure. Motherly affection radiates from her all the time. In everything we do, she would always look at us with joy and pride visible in her eyes. I love that. It makes me feel proud and secured. Like I may mess up a lot of times but my mom would always be there to cheer me up - to be my number one fan. 

 

“I’m sorry, Mom.” I said as I hugged her from the back. I rested my head on her shoulder. Gosh, it feels so good.

 

“Tired from work?” She asked, patting my head. 

 

I nodded. I already had my eyes closed and is starting to fall asleep. I am the type of person who falls asleep whatever position I have and sleeping on my mom’s shoulder is my most favorite of them all. 

 

“You can always quit your job whenever you like, you know that.” 

 

Mom and dad had always been against my idea to work. They’ve always wanted me to continue my studies. But of course I disobeyed. I have my reasons.

 

“And leave this island to study in some faraway university while you and Dad suffer here all by yourselves? As if I’d let that happen.” I hugged her tighter, feeling the tears coming. I have become quite sensitive to the topic of studying ever since I decided to quit school. It really makes me sad and bitter at the same time. Other people might say that their first heartbreak was because of their first love but this... this is my first heartbreak - to not be able to study no matter how much I wanted to. Studying has always been my first love.

 

“You know your dad and I can handle ourselves. By now, you should have finished a year of studies but instead look at you, tired and stressed out not even because of studying but because of working from some ragged old convenience store.” My mom said. I can tell that she already had her nose wrinkled in disgust. She started hating that convenience store the moment I began working there.

 

“We’re not having this conversation again, Mom.” I answered in my pleading tone. We’ve been having this argument for months and it’s seriously sipping all my energy.

 

Mom’s reply was interrupted by the entrance of my dad.

 

“Dad!” I shouted, immediately disentangling myself from mom. I gave my dad a vicious bear hug and the familiar scent hit me. Salt and water. I grew up smelling this scent from my dad.  It is the clearest evidence of his job as a fisherman. I would recognize this scent anywhere in the world.

 

“Hey! How’s your day, baby girl?” Dad answered, hugging

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter