Chapter 4

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

It is a bright Saturday morning. The sun is up. The sky is clear. The weather’s perfect. It could have been a wonderful day. I will be at the convenience store. Dad would be at the ocean, fishing. Mom would be selling his catch at the market. Ryu Jin would be enjoying his weekend back at the house munching off his favorite chips. Everything would have been normal - except, it isn’t.

 

I just finished packing the stuffs we would be bringing to the hospital. This would be the first time Ryu Jin’s going to see dad after the accident. I remember lying to him yesterday about how dad’s fine and he need not to worry. I sure hope dad’s okay by now. 

 

I was on my way to Ryu Jin’s room to wake him up when I stumbled into him - fresh from bath and ready to go.

 

“You’re up early.” I said, trying to make conversation. Normally, Ryu Jin would have been the hardest to wake up among us. He could stay asleep for almost half the day and he wouldn’t even bother. 

 

“We’re visiting dad, aren’t we?” he said, raising an eyebrow.

 

“Ah, yes. We are.” The sick feeling in my stomach came back. What if dad’s not awake yet? What if he’s so far from being okay? What would happen to Ryu Jin?

 

“Well, let’s go then!”

 

Ryu Jin fetched the bags of breakfast and extra clothes I prepared for mom and dad and immediately set off, leaving me standing at the doorway. I sighed. I really hope dad’s finally okay when we get there.

 

It didn’t took us long to get to the hospital especially with Ryu Jin doing a half-walk, half-run craze and the hospital only a few blocks away. We headed straight to dad’s room. I was about to open the door when Ryu Jin suddenly stopped me, holding my hand.

 

“What is it, Jin?” I asked. Even with his hand on mine, Ryu Jin wasn’t looking at me. He had his eyes focused on the door in front of us. 

 

“I... I’m nervous.” 

 

My throat tightened. I held Ryu Jin’s hand, his eyes finally meetiing mine, and said, “It’s okay. Dad’s going to be okay. Don’t worry. Just do what you always do with him. Talk to him the way you always talk to him. Nothing changes. He’s still dad.”

 

Ryu Jin nodded, understanding lightening his eyes. I held my breath and opened the door.

 

The scene in front of me took away my breath.

 

Mom was sitting beside dad’s bed, holding his hand. And they were... laughing. 

 

Without thinking, I immediately went off and hugged dad. He hugged me and patted my back reassuringly. My face felt wet and I knew I was crying. I buried my face on his shoulders, smelling his scent. The scent wasn’t as strong as it used to be, mixed with the awkward scent of the hospital, but it was still there - water and salt. It almost felt like yesterday was only a dream. My dad’s alright. And I am hugging him right now. 

 

“Don’t cry, baby,” dad said, fixing my now tangled hair. 

 

“I’ve missed you, daddy.” I stopped calling dad “daddy” during 5th Grade and calling him like that now surely brought back a lot of memories: dad and I on the playground, dad teaching me how to fish, dad carrying me on his shoulders...

 

I removed myself from the hug and wiped my face off with tears rather hastily. I stared at dad who was smiling brightly at me. 

 

“I’ve missed you too, baby. But I also missed your baby brother.” His gaze went to Jin and with his arms wide open, he said, “Come on, son. Why don’t you give you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter