Chapter 21

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

Sunlight hit my eyes, forcing me awake.

 

I rolled over, my chest now against the soft mattresses of the bed. I fished for my phone, eyes still half closed, but wasn’t able to find it. Annoyed, I sat straight and opened my eyes. 

 

I marveled at the view around me.

 

I’m not in my room, the first thing that came to my mind. 

 

I looked around. Everywhere is filled with girl stuffs. I stared at the bed - pink pillows, pink sheets, pink covers.

 

Then it hit me.

 

Everything that happened last night flashed through my head so fast I cannot help but feel dizzy. I held my face between my hands and breathed, “Wow.”

 

So I wasn’t dreaming at all. 

 

I was with Han Na last night and I...

 

I just slept on her bed.

 

A goofy smile spread on my face. 

 

I gave myself a slap.

 

I looked around me but Han Na is nowhere in sight. I fished my phone in my pocket, remembering I put it there, and checked the time. 6:03AM. 

 

Han Na must already be cooking downstairs. She has this habit of always waking too early. At first, it made the members glad since it wasn’t too often that we eat a decent breakfast. We always go straight to the company and order there. But ever since Han Na came, everything went different - we were all taken care of. Like having a mother and a younger sister all at once. That’s what she’s like to us. But lately, we’ve become more and more worried about her sleeping habits. We wish she would sleep more. 

 

I left the bed and headed back to my room. Chen must have sensed I was nowhere beside him. I’ll just tell him I went out for an early walk. He’ll believe me, for sure. 

 

I went inside and slowly closed the door behind me. Chen’s still asleep. I sneaked my way into the bathroom and washed my face. I stared at myself in the mirror. I only had a few hours of sleep but I still look bright, even glowing. This must be what happiness does to people. That goofy smile spread across my face again.

 

“Ya, wake up. Wake up,” I spoke, slapping my cheeks over and over. 

 

Once ready, I marched my way downstairs. Just thinking about seeing Han Na early in the morning brighten me up again. No matter what I do, I just can’t help myself from smiling. I feel so alive. I’ve never felt this much happiness in ages. 

 

I entered the kitchen and sure enough she’s there. I watched her as she struggled to tie the apron around her waist. I almost had to roll my eyes as her every attempt fails. Impatient, I slowly made my way towards her, careful not to let her see me. 

 

I took hold of the apron’s laces and slowly wounded it into a knot. She turned to face me, obviously surprised by my sudden appearance. 

 

“T-Thanks,” she stammered as her face slowly turned a deep shade of red. I felt myself blush in an instant and had to look away, banging myself into the refrigerator. Trying to hide my embarrassment, I opened the refrigerator’s door and hastily grabbed a jug of water, drinking directly from it. I wiped my face with the back of my hand and cleared my throat.

 

“What are you cooking?” I spoke as I watched her wound her hair into a messy bun. Locks of hair fell to her face and I fought the urge to fix them - to place it behind her ears. I bit my lip in frustration.

 

“Just some kimbap and chicken for later, and also some fried rice for breakfast,” she answered as she carefully arranged the ingredients on the island counter. I made my way towards one of the stools opposite her and sat. 

 

“I feel like I’m in a live cooking show,” I pointed as I placed my chin on my hands, contentedly observing her make the first roll of kimbap. 

 

She finished it in a matter of seconds and lifted it in front of my face, slightly nudging it on my mouth. “Just keep quiet and eat, oppa.”

 

“Ahhh...” I said, opening my mouth wide.

 

She smiled at my sudden burst of aegyo and inserted the kimbap into my mouth rather forcefully. She let go of it so the roll was hanging limply on my mouth. Glaring at her, I grabbed it and took a huge bite. “That’s not the proper way of feeding your oppa, miss.”

 

“Just eat,” she said and continued making her second roll. 

 

I chewed the food slowly and swallowed. “Wow, it’s delicious!” I exclaimed and took another huge bite. “Have some,” I said and lifted the kimbap near . She leaned her head and took a small bite, nodding her head in agreement. 

 

She continued making more kimbap as I slowly finished mine. I tried to sneak getting another roll but her hand hit mine even before I had the chance to touch one. “Ya! Why are you hitting your oppa?” I scolded.

 

“What are we going to eat later if you would keep eating everything I make?” she countered. I pouted at her, and revealed my puppy eyes. She stared at me disgustedly but handed me another roll. I took it, my face bursting with a proud smile. 

 

She finished the kimbap and began frying the chicken. I felt my mouth water as the delicious scent wafted through the air.

 

“Thanks for staying last night, oppa,” she suddenly spoke. Thankfully, she had her back on me. She wouldn’t have seen how my face turned into the color of tomato just by remembering how I laid beside her last night.

 

“No problem,” I replied coolly though deep inside, I am already doing mental back-flips. 

 

“Were you able to sleep?” she asked warily. 

 

It was the best sleep I ever had in my whole life, I almost answered. I shook my head, pushing the stupid thought away. “Yes, a bit. You snore too loud,” I teased.

 

She immediately turned towards me, her hand placed on her hip while the other holds a spatula. “What did you say?”

 

Her voice rose a few pitch, I almost laughed. She’s so much fun to mess with. “You snore so loud! You also speak, too!” I blurted. I made a frustrated sound and continued, “I had to cover my head with pillows just to shut you up!”

 

That did it. She ran towards me, leaving the chicken frying, and gave me a smack on the arm. “Ya, oppa, don’t try to put the blame on me. You were the one who kept on talking while you sleep.”

 

“I did?” I asked, surprised. I didn’t know I could sleep talk.

 

She nodded, “Yeah. You kept saying weird stuffs.”

 

I tensed. “L-Like what?” 

 

She turned away just as I saw her blush. She resumed cooking, her face hidden from me again. “Try to remember it,” she said, her voice sounding final. I know she’s not going to tell me anything and I don’t want to ask her anymore. I don’t want to know about it. The simple thought of sleep talking last night filled me with dread. Just what did I say? What did she heard from me? I felt myself cringe. Please don’t let it be anything about her or I’m going to be screwed. 

 

We stayed quiet for a few moments, the sizzling of the chicken - the only sound present in the room. Soon enough, she finished cooking and headed back to the counter to place the food into our lunchboxes. She’s facing me again.

 

“I didn’t say anything awful, right?” I asked, a bit uneasy. I’ve been rummaging my head for anything that I could have said last night but found none. I can’t remember anything. “I mean, you’re not joking, right? You’re not messing up with me?”

 

She looked up from the lunchboxes and rolled her eyes. “Why would I joke about something like that? You really talked, oppa. But I won’t tell you anything.” 

 

She resumed to her business and I know I lost her again. There’s no way she’s going to tell me anything. She’s firm like that. 

 

A few moments later, Han Na’s preoccupied in chopping the ingredients for her fried rice when Kyungsoo entered the kitchen. I froze. Why does it have to be this time. 

 

“Oh, Baekhyun-ah, you’re up early,” he pointed as he made his way towards the refrigerator and took something to drink. 

 

I gave him a low chuckle. “Yeah, I woke up early and wasn’t able to go back to sleep.”

 

I saw Han Na look at me from the corner of my eye and gave her a slight nod. Just ride along with it, I meant. 

 

“Ah,” Kyungsoo finished his glass of water and sat beside me. “Want me to help you, Han Na?” he said, his attention now drawn towards her.

 

“No, oppa, it’s okay,” she replied, not losing her focus on the knife.

 

I suddenly felt uncomfortable, like I am intruding something private. In an instant, I felt like a stupid third wheel. 

 

I meant to leave them and go away but I remembered what I said last night: “I’m going to fight for you, Han Na. I’ll fight and there will be no holding back.”

 

A surge of confidence washed through me and so I held my place. 

 

“We’ll be filming the music video soon, right?” I asked, trying to spark a conversation. 

 

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo replied but immediately shifted to Han Na. “Would you come with us, Han Na?” 

 

I felt annoyed. Why does he always have to include her in our every conversation?

 

Han Na, on the other hand seemed to ponder about this, but answered, “If Manager will allow me, I’d be happy to go.”

 

“That’s great!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, smiling brightly. 

 

“Of course she’’ll allow you. It’d be a great training for you, too,” I added. Why do I feel so competitive all of a sudden?

 

Moments passed and we remained to be that way. Kyungsoo would speak to Han Na and I would do anything to grab her interest. I know Kyungsoo’s starting to notice but I didn’t mind. Han Na noticed, too, and began acting awkwardly to the two of us. The mood felt calmer when the other members began coming down. We started our breakfast.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter