Chapter 5

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

“You did... what?” Mom exclaimed, wide-eyed. I was caught-off guard. For a second, I don’t know how to respond. Mom never as much as raised her voice at us. 

 

“I... accepted the offer, mom. I might be debuting as an Idol soon.” Everything still feels so impossible and foreign even as I say it. Me? An Idol? This was something I’ve never dreamed of. It wasn’t something that entered my mind, not even once. 

 

“What? How? I’m confused, Han Na. What do you even mean?” Mom now has her eyebrows crossed. It’s quite amusing how our conversation shifted from something so dramatic to this awkward one. Though I cannot blame her. It really sound so stupid. 

 

“I talked to the CEO this morning. I told him I accept his offer,” I answered plainly.

 

“And that’s it?” Mom crossed her arms. She’s not going to let this go so easily.

 

I sighed, bracing myself to tell the truth. 

 

“Okay... It’s true that I talked to the CEO this morning. I told him I would agree to work in his company... under a few conditions.” 

 

If eyes could only light with fire, I could’ve sworn that’s how my mother’s eyes would look right now. 

 

“And by conditions... you mean...” she said, through gritted teeth.

 

“I told him I would only agree to work under him if he would promise me an assistance on dad’s hospital expenses.”

 

Mom looked like she had been punched in the gut. She opened and closed a few times, unable to say anything. Regaining her composure, she finally said, “Are you crazy? And what made you think he would agree on such conditions?”

 

Mom’s still looking at me wide-eyed and is still speaking on a raised voice that I cannot help but think how epic it would’ve been if Ryu Jin could witness this. But of course I pushed the thought aside. This isn’t a good time for humor.

 

“Well, at first, I was so sure that he would either hang up on me or call me stupid or an idiot for doing such thing but... mom, he did. He agreed. He told me he’d be sending someone here tomorrow so we could talk about the contract. Compromise.”

 

As everything I’ve said registered, mom slowly turned to her normal self - calm and composed - all signs of her outburst a while ago wiped off. 

 

“You mean, he agreed? Really?” she asked, her voice full of wonder.

 

“Yes, Mom.” I answered with a smile on my face. Wow, I can’t remember the last time I’ve smiled a real smile. 

 

“Wow. He must have liked you that much.” 

 

I beamed at mom and took her hand. 

 

“You see, Mom. Everything’s going to be alright. I told the CEO that I would do everything. I would work so hard as long as he helps dad in his recovery.”

 

Mom held my hand tighter and looked me straight in the eye. 

 

“Are you sure you’re not getting yourself into some kind of slavery contract?”

 

I smiled at her and held onto her more tightly. “Mom, that’s the reason someone’s going to come for me tomorrow. We’re going to talk this through and I promise, I wouldn’t put myself in a situation I am not entirely sure of.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter