Chapter 29

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

“Dad wouldn’t tell me what he said to you,” Han Na whispered to me the moment I stepped out of the van. Her brows are already furrowed in deep frustration and she’s glaring at me wildly. I stifled a laugh.

 

“I told you I doubt he’s going to tell you anything,” I whispered back, walking towards the building’s entrance, my hands stuffed on my jeans pockets.

 

“I’m dying to know about it. Please,” she begged. I stopped walking and looked at her. She’s already staring at me with her puppy eyes. I turned my head away and began walking even before she had the chance to get into me. She knows I became weak whenever she starts doing those stuffs.

 

We entered the cafeteria. A different music was playing on the speakers - something I’ve never heard before. I stopped the moment I realized what it was, causing Han Na to smack directly on my back. The other members, upon recognition, stopped on their tracks too.

 

The twelve of us simultaneously tuned our heads towards the direction of the television screen which shows the music video of the song that’s currently being played. All I saw was a figure of a lady inside the recording studio, her back the only thing shown in the camera. 

 

The music progressed and the video shifted into the eyes of a lady. Next came her nose, and a focus on as she sang to the lyrics. Our heads snapped towards Han Na’s direction.

 

“Y-You...” I began, but cannot find the right words to say.

 

“Is that you, noona?” Sehun said, finishing the sentence for me. He sounded as surprised and confused as I am.

 

“Yep,” Han Na answered as a matter of factly.

 

“How... When...” Luhan blurted, his head shaking in confusion.

 

“I filmed it the other day. That was the time Manager Song asked me to stay here without you, guys,” Han Na explained, smiling at us. 

 

“But you said you were only asked to observe the trainees,” Chanyeol said in accusation.

 

Han Na chuckled and answered, “I’m sorry, oppa. I really wanted to surprise you.”

 

Our heads went back to the television as the song slowly reached its ending. Han Na’s eye smile registered on the screen as the song reached its last note.

 

“Wow,” Tao uttered in amazement.

 

We headed towards the practice room barely speaking to one another. We entered as each of us made our way to the room’s floor. Sitting on our own chosen places, we grabbed our phones and began searching for the music video.

 

“Still not going to talk to me?” Han Na spoke to no one in particular.

 

“We’ll talk once we’re finished watching,” Kris answered, his eyes focused intensely on his phone’s screen.

 

Han Na didn’t say anything but just wait for us as we mind our own businesses. The room fell silent, only the constant gasp and sigh of the members can be heard. I kept quiet, watching the video by myself. 

 

The lyrics felt somehow weird to me - like its trying to communicate something to my heart. I can’t help but feel like there’s something hidden between the words Han Na’s singing and about the way she sings it. I finished the video and I looked up to stare at Han Na only to find out that she’s already staring at me.

 

Our gaze broke when Sehun suddenly flung himself towards her. 

 

“That’s so amazing, noona!” he said as he hugged her and swung her in a circle. 

 

“That’s really wonderful, Han Na. I... I can’t say a thing. It’s perfect,” Kyungsoo muttered, giving Han Na a warm smile.

 

“I can’t believe Manager Ji Hye didn’t even allow us to watch her recording,” Lay spoke, shaking his head in disappointment.

 

“Maybe Manager doesn’t want us to bother her. It would really scare her if too many audience is around,” Suho answered, patting Han Na on the shoulder. “Well done, Han Na.”

 

Han Na groaned. “Oh oppa, you have no idea what kind of audiences I had during that day.”

 

“What? Why? Who?” Kris asked, his brows furrowing.

 

“Most of the vocal lines were there,” Han Na answered and continued, counting the names on her fingers, “BoA sunbae was there, so as Changmin oppa, Kyuhyun oppa, Jonghyun oppa, even Taeyeon and Luna eonnie was there to watch.”

 

“Now I really feel disappointed towards Manager Ji Hye,” Kai blurted. “Only our group doesn’t have any representatives!”

 

“It’s really a waste. We should’ve been there to watch you on your very first recording,” Chen said.

 

“Don’t worry, oppa. There’s still another one coming,” Han Na replied, giving Chen a gentle pat on the shoulder.

 

“There is?” Xiumin asked, his eyes widening.

 

Han Na broke into a long explanation about the plans before her comeback. How she’ll be recording more music videos in which her identity would slowly be revealed one by one.

 

“Ahh, so that’s why your face wasn’t shown in the video!” Tao exclaimed, finally understanding. 

 

“But we recognized you, though. I recognized you the moment I heard your voice,” Sehun said, looking smug.

 

“That’s because you already know me too well, Sehunnie,” Han Na answered, ruffling Sehun’s hair. The two of them burst in laughter.

 

“But what is that song you sang?” Luhan asked.

 

“Oh, that’s Enchanted by Taylor Swift, oppa,” she replied. 

 

“I didn’t know you could sing in English so well,” Kris said in awe.

 

“But why sing that song?” I asked. Something about that song and its lyrics has been bugging me the entire time. I really wanted to know everything about it. “Did Manager Ji Hye chose that for you?”

 

“N-No... I... I chose that for myself,” Han Na answered, ducking her head in embarrassment. 

 

I knew it, my subconscious said.

 

“Why?” I urged. Han Na ducked her head even more.

 

“Just... Just... I just felt like singing it during that time,” she replied.

 

I let the topic drop since we already have to start rehearsing. I’ll have a lot more time asking her about it later. For the meantime, I let my thoughts relax.

 

***

 

“Wow, noona, you’re all over the internet!” Sehun exclaimed, his mouth hanging open as he scrolled through his hand phone. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter