Chapter 28

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: No proofreads done for this chapter so I wouldn't be able to know if there's any grammar error or mispelled words. I hope you'd still have fun reading tho. :--)

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

In my dream I was with Baekhyun, his hand holding mine. We’re walking along the sandy beaches of of Jeju Island, the smell of salt and water wafting in the air around us. The scene felt calm and peaceful, like there’s nothing to hold us back. We stopped to enjoy the sea water touching our toes. I looked up just as the sun hit my eyes, blinding me.

 

I flinched and slowly opened my eyes.

 

I was half delighted and half disappointed to find myself still inside my bedroom here in Seoul. It has been weeks since I left Jeju and the aching feeling of homesickness doesn’t go away from my system. I miss home. 

 

I moved and suddenly felt something awkward beneath me. I touched the object I was laying my head on and was confused to find it hard. What happened to my pillow? I thought to myself. 

 

I shrugged it off and headed back to sleep. I closed my eyes just as I felt the object beneath me move up and down. What the?

 

Freaked out, I decided to take a look. Turning my head up, I realized it was not an object but a person I was lying on. 

 

I covered my mouth with my hands immediately to stop myself from screaming.

 

What is he doing here?

 

I removed my hands from my mouth and slightly poked him on his cheek.

 

“Y-Ya,” I said, still poking him. 

 

He didn’t budge.

 

“Y-Ya, Byun Baekhyun,” I said again, poking him a little bit stronger. He grabbed my hand and moved it away from his face. “Y-Ya! Wake up!” I yelled. This time, he draped his whole body over me. “Y-Ya! W-What are you doing!” I exclaimed, trying to get away from him. His whole body is pinning me down so I cannot move even an inch. “Baekhyun-ah! Ya!” I tried waking him up again, hitting his back with my hands this time.

 

He woke up.

 

I froze as his eyes met mine, serious and dangerous-looking. 

 

I gulped. “Y-Ya, get off me,” I said but my voice came away weak. 

 

He just stared at me.

 

“Ya, Byun Baekhyun. Can’t you hear me?” I demanded. “I said get off me.”

 

Without speaking, he removed himself from me and laid back on the bed. We stayed like that for minutes, lying side by side, before he finally spoke, “Why do you always push me away?”

 

“Huh?” I blurted, confused.

 

“Why do you always reject me?” he repeated, almost to himself.

 

“I... I didn’t...” I began but he already stood up and started walking out of the room. I was left with my mouth hanging open as he closed the door behind him.

 

What’s wrong with him? I thought to myself.

 

***

 

We’re already at the company, stuck inside the practice room, literally doing nothing. It felt like such a long time since I’ve last stayed here with the boys and getting to hang-out with them again somehow felt new.

 

“So what are we going to do today?” Chen asked out of nowhere. The boys are lying sprawled on the ground while I was sitting against the mirrors, keeping to myself. 

 

“Dunno. Just have to wait Manager Song to order us anything,” Suho replied.

 

The boys gave out a series of sighs and closed their eyes, probably headed to sleep. 

 

Just then, Manager Song came inside the room. They immediately snapped back to reality.

 

“Han Na, come with me. Baekhyun, Taeyeon’s outside waiting for you,” Manager said and immediately left the room. Confused, it took me a few seconds before I stood up to follow her. Baekhyun trailed me from behind. I was able to hear Sehun groan in frustration before Baekhyun shut the door behind him.

 

We entered the hallway and sure enough, Taeyeon was there standing against the wall. I gave her a polite nod before I headed on Manager Song’s direction. I pushed back the acrid taste of nausea welling up inside me. Just ignore them, Han Na. Ignore them. They’re none of your business, I told myself over and over.

 

Manager Song took me into a room located just around the third floor. It was filled with various computers and screens of different sizes. 

 

“This is the editing room, Han Na,” she explained, answering my unspoken question. “This is where most of our music videos are being edited.”

 

I nodded in understanding. But what am I doing here?

 

Manager moved into one of the computers, a guy sitting in front of it. She whispered something to the guy who immediately took off and operated the machine. I watched carefully as its wide screen switched into different colors before finally settling into one. It turned black.

 

I stood and waited for something to happen.

 

After a few moments, the guy pressed a button and music sounded off through the speakers just as the screen shifted into an image of a girl. I recognized the girl on the screen - it’s me. It took me a bit late to realize since the video was edited in a way that the full image of the girl can’t be seen. It’s like they’re trying to preserve its anonymity. If it wasn’t for the music that’s playing on the background, I wouldn’t have recognized it to be me.

 

Bits and pieces of my face was shown. My eyes, my nose, my lips, and then a full body shot but only focuses on my back. It was exactly me in the recording room. I wondered why they edited the video like that.

 

A few minutes later and the video was over. The screen returned to black. Manager Song turned to face me and spoke, “So, what do you think, Han Na?”

 

I scratched my head, not knowing what to say. “Uhh... I... I don’t...”

 

“You’re curious why the video’s like that?” she asked and I nodded. “Well, since you’ve performed well on your first recording - much much better than we expected - we decided to keep your identity a secret. Besides, what good it will be if we would let the public know about you in an instant, right?”

 

“So, you mean... You’ll be revealing my identity little by little?” I began and continued, “So there will be more videos?”

 

Manager nodded in confirmation. “Yes, we shall be uploading more. For now, the only thing that the public knows about you is that you can sing well in English and obviously, some of your facial features. We’ll be posting the video tomorrow at 9:00AM.”

 

A chill shot through me. I didn’t see that coming.

 

”Did you already tell the boys about this?” she asked.

 

I shook my head and replied, “Not yet, Manager. I was thinking of keeping it from them, like a sort of surprise. Would you help me?”

 

“Sure. I won’t say a thing,” Manager said as she placed a finger on her lips in a form of “shh” sign. I was about to leave the room when Manager spoke again, “And tell the boys you can go home now. They needed some rest. Their practice will resume tomorrow. Have some great break for today.”

 

I beamed at her and ran off to tell the boys about the good news. I stopped when I entered the hallway to the practice room. I already forgot about them. 

 

Baekhyun and Taeyeon stood in the hallway, talking to each other. They stood so close that I could almost hear my heart break a little. I took a deep breath and walked forward, pretending not to see them. 

 

But Taeyeon seems like she’s not in the mood to let me go. 

 

“Han Na!” she called just after I passed the two of them. I turned around and gave her a polite bow, biting my lip so hard I could almost feel it bleed. “Wanna hang-out with us?” she offered. I looked at Baekhyun for help but he only gave m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter