Chapter 23

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

The members stared at us and towards one another. Each of them looking more confused than ever. My body felt like it had turned into a block of ice. I sat staring at Manager Song, the rate of my heartbeat increasing every second. 

 

“W-Why? W-What’s happening, Manager?” Suho spoke, his head moving from Manager Song to Baekhyun to me and back again. 

 

“I don’t know. Why don’t we ask these two people. Maybe they can tell us what actually happened,” Manager spoke, her seeping through my veins like acid. My palms started sweating. You didn’t do anything wrong, Han Na. You didn’t do anything wrong, I told myself over and over.

 

“Baekhyun? Han Na? What’s happening?” Suho asked, eyeing me and Baekhyun questioningly. I felt so bad ignoring him but what should I do? I don’t know where to start. 

 

“Rumors have been spreading around the company about a dispute that happened yesterday at the cafeteria,” Manager began, her eyes regarding Baekhyun and I. “And surprisingly, the name of you two came up. Would you mind explaining it to me?”

 

I tensed. Just when I thought everything’s about to turn out right... Why does this always have to happen? Can’t I live a peaceful and quiet life even for only a day?

 

I was surprised when Baekhyun suddenly spoke. “Han Na didn’t do anything wrong, Manager,” he said, his voice firm and confident. I stared at him, waiting for him to look back. But he didn’t. His gaze was focused on Manager Song.

 

“How would I know that?” Manager Song challenged.

 

Baekhyun bit his lip. I can feel how much he wanted to tell the truth. How much he wanted to let everyone know about what had really happened. But he promised me he wouldn’t. And this is him, keeping that promise. I suddenly felt so bad about myself. How could I ask him such ridiculous promise? I ought to know. No secrets can stay hidden forever.

 

I took a deep breath and willed myself to speak up.

 

“I’ll tell you the truth, Manager. I’ll tell you everything,” I said. Baekhyun and Manager Song, together with all the members looked at me. I stared at Baekhyun, his eyes already questioning me about what I’m doing. I gave him a nod. I’ll do the right thing, I told him mentally. 

 

“Of course, you will,” Manager said to me then faced Suho. “You and the other members, go upstairs now,” she ordered them.

 

“No, Manager,” I said, countering her. “The other members need to hear this.”

 

The members who had already left their seats sat back, none of them saying a word. The atmosphere felt so heavy. Even Manager Song sounded so different. No one’s going to mess up with her today.

 

She sat on the couch, overlooking us all and spoke, “You may begin, Han Na.”

 

I took one last glance at Baekhyun who’s looking worriedly at me and gathered up all my courage. I began.

 

“It was three days ago when it first happened. I went to the cafeteria to buy some coffee for the members. The order was too long so I decided to head off to the restroom first. I was inside one of the cubicles when I heard a group girls entered the room. They were talking about something... someone.” 

 

I took another deep breath. Now that I am telling the story, the memory flashed inside my head so vividly that I cannot help but feel the same kind of anxiety I’ve felt before. I pushed back the dread and continued.

 

“They were talking about me. I knew it the moment they said something about ‘debut’ and ‘skipping training’. I’m not the eavesdropping kind of person but hearing them say stuffs about me made me unable to get out. I stayed inside the cubicle and listened to every nasty thing they said about me. Fortunately, they didn’t know anything about me yet. Not my name, not my face, not anything. So I had the chance to sneak out. And that was the first day.”

 

I looked at Manager Song, waiting for her to say anything but she only motioned for me to continue. I looked down at my hands, laced properly on my lap. 

 

“The next day, I decided to face them. I went to the restroom again, during the exact same time I went there the other day. I waited for them, not entirely sure if they would show up. But luckily, they did. I was so sure that time that I could face them. That I could tell them the truth and defend myself. But I was wrong. They knew me the moment they saw me. They attacked even before I had the chance to do so. That day, I left them - not without a finally healed wounds but rather more battle scars.”

 

I didn’t notice when my hands began shaking. I balled them into fists and hid them between my thighs. I can almost feel the tears coming. I closed my eyes and tried to push them back. I cannot cry in front of the boys. 

 

“Then yesterday, it happened. I confronted them, I couldn’t help myself any longer. I’ve been keeping everything to myself for almost two days that on the third, I just... exploded.” I glanced at Baekhyun. He’s already staring me. He gave him a reassuring nod and I continued, “Baekhyun oppa must have heard our argument for he suddenly came bursting through the door. Yesterday, it wasn’t me who finished the business... It was him. I felt so ashamed, so stupid, and so entirely worthless that I decided to keep it all to myself, thinking that I could just move on and get over it. I never even thought that rumors would start to spread.” A tear fell and I jerked it off hastily with the back of my hand. I started to have trouble breathing. I don’t think I can hold back these tears any longer.

 

“What exactly did those girls do to you?” Manager asked, finally speaking after a long while of silence.

 

I hesitated, thinking if it was right to say those things. But then I th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter