Chapter 24

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

2:56 am and I’m at the kitchen. 

 

I walked towards the island table, carefully balancing two mugs of warm milk with my two hands. I placed them on the table and sat, waiting for him to come down.

 

A few minutes later, I heard footsteps descending the stairs. 

 

I almost smiled to myself. Of course he’ll come. 

 

Baekhyun entered the kitchen, stopping the moment he saw me. He looked like he’s surprised to see me here - like’s he’s still deciding whether this was a dream or a reality. 

 

I rolled my eyes. “It’s me, oppa. Come here,” I said, motioning him to come forward.

 

He obeyed and sat on the stool beside me. “You didn’t come down here for a while,” he said, scratching his head like he’s still in confusion. 

 

“That was when I had a problem,” I said, moving the cup of milk closer to him. “I have no problems now.”

 

He took the cup of milk, eyeing it weirdly. “Is this for me?”

 

I rolled my eyes again. “Who else could it be?”

 

He shrugged, like he’s about to tell me something but thought better of it. He took a sip and spoke, “This is way better than a glass of water.”

 

I smiled. “Consider that as a gift... for everything that you did for me.”

 

He looked at me and I looked back. He seemed to become serious for a moment but then he chuckled, dropping his head down. “If you’re going to give me a gift after everything I did for you, it would cost so much more than a glass of milk.”

 

“Then what do you want?” I challenged. He looked up, surprised. 

 

“That’s a dangerous question to ask,” he spoke, his voice low and husky. I felt myself gulp. Gosh, why is it so hot in here all of a sudden?

 

“I want to hear the answer,” I replied, my voice shaking a bit. He began staring at me so intensely that my forehead began to sweat.

 

For a moment he seemed like he was about to say it but then he shrugged and took another sip of the milk. “I’ll tell you next time. I’ll just take this milk for now.”

 

We stayed like that for a while, savoring the milk. We didn’t talk nor stare at each other but I still felt good. Just having him there beside me felt nice and calming - like home. I took another sip but found the mug empty. I put it down and propped my head on my hand, facing Baekhyun who’s currently staring straight ahead.

 

“You’re drooling again,” he spoke without looking at me. I didn’t mind him and continued to stare.

 

“You’re weird this morning,” I said. I was referring to the incident this early morning - the way he pulled me on the bed with him, the way he didn’t let me go... I felt myself blush just by remembering. 

 

He seem to blush too. “I... That... That was... Uhhh..” he stammered.

 

“Okay okay, fine. Let’s not talk about it,” I said, letting the issue drop. I, to be honest, also doesn’t have the heart to talk about it. I’m just afraid that the conversation would end up elsewhere. 

 

The atmosphere became quiet once again.

 

“Thanks, oppa,” I murmured. “Thanks for everything that you did.”

 

This time, he turned to look at me. “What did I do?” he asked though I know he fairly knew the answer.

 

I stared at him, trying to match the intensity of his gaze. “For saving me. For comforting me. For helping me. For covering up for me. For staying beside me when no one else did,” I said, my voice full of sincerity. “If it weren’t for you... I don’t think I could’ve survived. I don’t think I could’ve kept myself intact. You held me... when I was at the point of breaking.”

 

The mood shifted around us. The air suddenly felt hot and heavy. I can feel a sort of static prickling on my skin. Beads of sweat started to form on my face. My breathing became ragged. 

 

“I’ll do anything---” Baekhyun began but stopped. He bit his lip hard and took a deep breath before he continued, “You’re welcome.”

 

I was aware of how he suddenly changed tracks. He was about to tell me something, I know he was, but why did he suddenly stopped?

 

Clearing his throat, he spoke again, “You know this isn’t the end, right? You know there’s still something that’s going to happen?”

 

I nodded. “I know... But I’m ready for it. I’m not going to run away like I did before. I know I have to face it this time.” I know the issue has not yet ended and there’s still more I have to do. Especially now that Manager Song got involved. I know I’m going to have to face the three girls again soon.

 

“Just know I’m always here for you,” he said then cleared his throat. “I mean... we are all here for you. You know that, right? We’ll protect you.”

 

I nodded gratefully. “I know, oppa.”

 

Baekhyun has a lot of things to tell me but I don’t know why he’s holding it back. I thought maybe I should give him time. Maybe someday he’ll be able to have the confidence to tell me whatever it is that has been bothering him. I hope he does.

 

We headed upstairs as soon as he finished his cup. I stopped just in front of his door, preparing to bid him goodbye, but he continued walking towards the direction of my room. I shrugged and followed behind him. 

 

He stopped and opened the door for me. I stayed beside him, eyeing him warily.

 

“I can’t stay for tonight. Chen’s starting to notice,” he said. 

 

For some reason, I felt my heart sank. 

 

What are you sulking about? He has his own room, he ought to stay there, not yours, my subconscious reprimanded.

 

I took a deep breath and replied, “Okay. Goodnight, oppa.”

 

I began entering my room just as Baekhyun held me by the hand and pulled me towards him. For the nth time during this whole week, I found myself inside his arms again. My heart ra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter