Chapter 43

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 43

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

Hanna re-emerged in the practice room.

 

The moment she entered, I already noticed the tight set of her jaw and the wideness of her eyes.

 

Something wrong has happened again.

 

Why does she always get in trouble for going to the cafeteria alone?

 

It had also been like this during those days that she was bullied.

 

I should’ve come with her.

 

I followed her with my gaze and eventually she looked back at me.

 

Hey eyes softened a bit.

 

She walked straight towards where I was sitting on the practice room’s wooden floor.

 

My heart skipped a beat.

 

I love the way she always goes straight to me like I am her personal location – like I am where she belongs. It makes everything feel more real, I am hers and she is definitely mine.

 

“What’s wrong?” I whispered as she sat beside me. Kai and Kyungsoo are sitting only a few feet away from us so we need to be careful not to let them hear a thing.

 

“I heard something---,“ she broke off. She shook her head and continued, “No. I WATCHED something as I was heading to the main floor.”

 

Her tone sounded both serious and in a rush. I looked at her, my interest piqued.

 

“What is it?” I asked carefully.

 

Hanna bit her lip hard. She seems to be contemplating if it’s right to tell me anything. I almost felt hurt. Maybe there are still some parts of her I cannot reach… and one of them is her trust.

 

“I didn’t mean to pry but… I heard them arguing in the hallway and… my curiosity got the best of me…” she went on. I noticed that her hands on her lap are already balled into fists and they were shaking. I fought back the urge to hold them. Not here, Baekhyun. Not here in this room with many eyes surrounding you.

 

“What happened?” I asked again, more urgently this time.

 

Hanna took a deep breath before answering. “I saw Taeyong and the girl who bullied me,” she began, looking straight at me with wide eyes. “Her name is Yeri and they were arguing inside a room and I watched them… Heard every bit of their conversation...”

 

“And?” I urged, moving a bit closer to cover Hanna. If the members see her face right now, they would instantly know something’s up.

 

“It seems like the two of them were in a relationship…” she murmured, her eyes now focused on the floor.

 

“Were?” I noted the past tense. “You mean… not anymore?”

 

She nodded. “It looks like Taeyong broke up with her.”

 

I scoffed, finally understanding the situation.

 

“Because of you?” I demanded, both humor and anger mixed in my voice.

 

Hanna cringed at this. “We don’t know that. But the girl seems to be unable to accept the fact that they’re over. The two of them said a lot of rude things to one another and then…” she drifted off.

 

For a few moments, she remained staring at the floor. I watched her patiently. There really seems to be a lot of things going on inside their head right now.

 

“The girl mentioned you,” she finally said. Her voice was filled with intense fear and worry and when she looked back at me, her eyes were filled by the same emotions too. “I think the girl knows about my feelings for you, Baekhyun.”

 

This I did not expect.

 

My jaw went slack and it took me a few seconds to recompose myself.

 

Shaking my head, I spoke, “Are you sure? H-How can that be? I don’t even know her.”

 

Hanna ducked her head, defeated. “I don’t know… I just heard her ask Taeyong if he likes me and he said there’s nothing for her to care about. Then she began saying those things about you – that Taeyong’s only going to get hurt, that I already have you in my life, that you were my first…” She took another deep breath and stared at me, her eyes full of questions. “How did she know about that?”

 

I know I should be scared about the fact that another person had known about us but my mind was caught by another issue on hand. Leaning a bit closer to her, I asked, “So Taeyong does like you, huh?”

 

Hanna’s eyes widened and she flushed.

 

“That’s not the problem right now, Baekhyun. Yeri is---“ she said as she slowly moved away from me.

 

“But I was right, am I? He likes you. I told you he does,” I announced, a playful smirk tugging on my lips. “And I could bet everything that I have that he decided to break up with that girl the moment he knew he’s going to film that music video with you.”

 

Hanna only stared at me with her eyes wide and open.

 

I know I was meant to stop. But I can’t find the strength to do so. Now that I confirmed Taeyong’s feelings towards Hanna, cold anger just welled up inside me. I remembered the scenes they’ve shot for the music video – the constant touching and skinship – and I almost had to punch the wall again. He must have enjoyed it so much.

 

The thoughts made me feel nauseous.

 

I hope I don’t get to see him again or I swear to God…

 

“How sure of him that he’ll have you… Who does he think he is?” I spat.

 

“Baekhyun…” Hanna breathed. “Are you seriously only going to think of that?” she demanded, her voice filled with disappointment. “Yeri knows about us. Shouldn’t we be thinking about her first?”

 

“She doesn’t have any proof, don’t worry. No one’s going to believe her even if she speaks,” I answered. “And besides, everyone knows about her strong grudge on you. Do you really believe anyone would listen to her if she begins to say stuffs about you? No one’s going to believe her, Hanna. Not when it’s you she’s talking about.”

 

This seems to calm her a bit. She looked down at her hands as she fumbled them and quietly spoke, “But where do you think she got the idea? I mean… she just can’t say something like that out of nowhere.”

 

That was what I had been thinking all along. That girl couldn’t just formulate something out of nothing. There must be someone who tells her everything. And I need to find that person. She could be a danger to us – especially to Hanna.

 

“I know…” I breathed as I slowly tilted my head, trying to find her eyes. It worked. She looked at me. “I’m going to find the answer, Hanna, I promise. I won’t let anything harm you,” I said with much sincerity I could muster.

 

She smiled faintly and replied, “I know you would.”

 

 

***

 

 

Hanna wasn’t able to go to the cafeteria as planned because she had to rush back to the practice room to tell me everything she’d heard. In the end, I offered to accompany her downstairs just in case something might happen to her again. I can’t stop thinking how Hanna is a magnet of trouble especially during the times when she’s alone. She needs protection any minute possible.

 

We were taking the stairs just like we usually do when another pair of footsteps echoed around us.

 

“Maybe just another employee,” I ensured Hanna as she reflexively moved away from me. After everything she’s heard, I cannot blame her for getting too sensitive on being near me. I understand that she’s now being careful so as not to add another person wondering about our relationship.

 

Relationship, the word rang inside my head.

 

Is that really what we have?

 

I was too preoccupied by my thoughts that I hadn’t even noticed when Hanna stopped walking.

 

I collided straight into her, almost making her fall. My arms went around her instantly to steady her but she removed them rather harshly.

 

“Wha---“ I broke off.

 

I looked at the direction she was staring at and saw Taeyong, a few steps below, marveling at us.

 

 I blinked and recomposed myself, standing straighter, I spoke to him, “Taeyong, we meet again.” I tried to make my voice sound calm and fairly greeting but I failed. I just can’t seem to control my anger every time he’s around.

 

His face remained calm as he moved to give us a polite bow.

 

“Yes, sunbae. I am taking the stairs more frequently than the elevator now. It seems healthier and better for the body. I’m quite surprised to see you again here with noona,” he answered carefully. His voice remained calm and full of respect but his eyes were hooded, observing Hanna and I.

 

“Yeah… I’ve noticed,” I began as I took a step down towards him. I inclined my head to the side and continued, “Perhaps, you’re doing this because of plain healthy living but not because you know Hanna loves taking the stairs too, right?”

 

Taeyong seem to be taken aback for his gaze suddenly wavered. I gave him a challenging smile.

 

It took him a few moments to recompose himself. He cleared his throat and tipped his chin up.

 

“I honestly don’t even know that noona loves taking the stairs,” he said to me as his eyes moved upward towards Hanna. I almost wanted to tear his eyes off. I hate the way he looks at her like she’s something to eat. “We really have a lot of similarities, do we, noona?” he mused.

 

My hands balled into fists.

 

Calm yourself, Baekhyun. He’s only doing this to provoke you. Don’t let him get into you.

 

Hanna remained staring at him without a word.

 

I wonder what she’s thinking about.

 

“Noona, are you okay?” Taeyong asked as he took a step closer to her. Almost out of its own accord, my body moved so that it’s blocking his way. Taeyong stopped and stared at me, his eyes wide with surprise. I stared back.

 

I’m not going to let you go near her, I almost said.

 

Taeyong’s gaze hardened but he didn’t say a thing.

 

He looked back at Hanna who’s staring at us in horror.

 

“What’s wrong, noona?” he asked again, his voice filled with worry. I almost wanted to vomit.

 

I heard Hanna took a deep breath behind me. She must be feeling so anxious.

 

“Taeyong…” she spoke to him. My head snapped towards her instantly. What are you doing? Why are you talking to him? I tried demanding her through my eyes but she remained staring at him. Another surge of anger welled up inside me.

 

“Noona. What’s wrong? What is it?” Taeyong asked, sensing the sudden downfall of the atmosphere around us. His voice sounded panicking.

 

Hanna bit her lip hard before answering, “I need to talk to you.”

 

Taeyong and I’s eyes both widened at the same time.

 

“What?” I blurted without thinking. What is she doing? Why is she asking him to talk to her in front of me? Is she really doing this to hurt me? Is that what she wants?

 

“I-In here, noona?” Taeyong asked, pretending to be surprised. If I hadn’t known better, I understand what that undercurrent in his voice means – smug. He thinks he wins over me just by having her talk to him.

 

I tried to stare at Hanna with much intensity I got.

 

Don’t do this, please. Not in front of me, I almost begged her.

 

“Follow me,” she said after a few moments of thought. She began ascending the stairs towards who knows where. I grabbed her arm even before she had the chance to go too far.

 

“What are you doing?” I whispered to her harshly. “Why are you going to talk to him?”

 

She removed my hand from her and I almost felt like she had literally slapped me on the face. I took a step away from her, shaking my head in disbelief. My eyes remained fixed on her, disappointed and accusing. I felt like she had just betrayed me.

 

She continued to head upstairs and Taeyong began to follow. He paused to give me a nod before heading up. His eyes were full of pride and his lips were stretched out into a grin. I almost had the urge to punch him.

 

Why are you doing this to me, Hanna?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter