Chapter 38

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 38

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

“It looks like Hanna’s going to take a separate road today,” Manager Song spoke as she emptied her cup of coffee. She stood up, preparing to leave. “I’ll be going with Hanna for today. You boys are going to ride a separate van which would take you to the company then to the music show. This is the second week of your promotions and you’ll be part of the nominations today, am I right?”

 

“Yes, Manager,” Suho said, his head lowered down.

 

Sehun groaned. “I really wish we’d get that first win,” he said, holding his head between his hands.

 

Manager walked towards him and gave him a pat on the back. “Don’t you worry, boys. I’m sure you’ll win it. Hanna and I will be watching for you wherever we may be. We’ll celebrate later, I promise.”

 

This seems to brighten up the members a bit. Nothing but anything that includes celebration and a lot of food alerts them. We immediately fetched our bags and headed outside.

 

“Good luck, Hanna,” Kyungsoo said, giving me a hug. “I know you’d do great.”

 

I hugged him back. “Thanks, oppa. You too. I know you’ll bag that first win.”

 

“Make sure to keep us updated with what you’re doing, alright? Send us pictures!” Luhan blurted right beside me.

 

“Sure, oppa. I’ll send all of you tons of selcas later,” I joked.

 

The boys and I bid farewell to one another, each of us exchanging good luck’s. Today’s going to be a big day for all of us and I hope it turns out really well.

 

I was about to board the van when a hand suddenly clamped on my own. I turned around and saw Baekhyun, his hand holding mine.

 

We didn’t speak but just exchanged glances.

 

His eyes say good luck and a whole lot more of meaningful things.

 

I gave him a nod and a gentle smile as I closed the door behind us, giving his hand a final squeeze.

 

“Where would we be going, Manager?” I asked as soon as the van began moving.

 

“Some high school in Pyeongchang-dong. You and Taeyong will act as long-term lovers in the music video so it’s normal to have some student-scenes. You’ll be wearing a high school uniform later. Aren’t you excited?” she answered from her seat in front.

 

I smiled to myself, suddenly missing school. It’s been more than a year since I last saw myself wearing a school uniform. It would surely bring back a lot of memories once I had them on later.  

 

My phone vibrated, waking me up from my reverie.

 

I fished my phone out of my hoodie’s pocket and checked.

 

It was a message from Baekhyun.

 

My mood immediately brightened up.

 

 

From: Baekhyun

Behave yourself, okay?

 

I almost laughed. What does he think I’m going to do?

 

I replied immediately.

 

 

To: Baekhyun

Yes, Sir. Bring home that trophy, okay? Fighting!

 

 

I hit send.

 

I was about to return my phone to my pocket, thinking the conversation was over, when it buzzed again.

 

I fought back a smile.

 

Being like this with Baekhyun, I cannot help but feel like we’re a normal couple – texting, meeting each other, hanging out with one another… Though I doubt ‘couple’ is the right word to use. I don’t even know what we are right now.

 

 

From: Baekhyun

A kiss for a win?

 

 

I turned beet red.

 

 

To: Baekhyun

No deal. :P

 

 

How could he make such a disastrous offer?

 

 

From: Baekhyun

No worries, I’ll get my kiss by hook or by crook.  >:)

 

 

I gulped. It’s funny how we can talk to one another so openly about this kind of stuffs.

 

 

To: Baekhyun

Just make sure you’ll win first. Good luck!

 

 

Few minutes passed before my phone buzzed again. I almost thought he’s not going to text back anymore.

 

 

From: Baekhyun

I will. Love you. 

 

 

My heart lurched.

 

I haphazardly returned my phone back to my pocket, biting my lip to stop myself from smiling. I wouldn’t want Manager Song to see me smiling to myself and ask me questions. I’m not so good at lying – my face always tips me off.

 

Few moments later and we arrived at the chosen high school.

 

I stepped out of the van, my eyes scanning the surrounding. It was empty.

 

“We limited the number students allowed to participate in the music video filming. We still need to keep your identity hidden and we couldn’t risk so much people seeing you,” Manager Song explained, answering the question inside my head. I nodded in understanding. “We only needed a single class of students for the filming. Those who were chosen were required to sign a contract, agreeing to keep everything secret until your debut arrives.”

 

Manager Song began walking and I followed her stead. We entered one of the many school buildings and met the producers and other staffs there. I kept bowing in every direction ‘til we reached our designated dressing room.

 

Taeyong was there.

 

“Noona,” he said in surprise upon seeing me on the reflection of the mirror. He stood up from his seat and gave Manager Song and I a polite bow. He’s already in his school uniform and looked as handsome as ever.

 

“That uniform looks so good on you, Taeyong,” Manager spoke, voicing out my thoughts. Baekhyun’s going to kill me if I say a single word about how Taeyong looks.

 

He smiled, seemingly embarrassed. “Thanks, Manager.”

 

“You better change into your outfit, too, Hanna,” Manager Song said to me. A woman suddenly appeared beside me and handed me a uniform that actually matches with Taeyong’s. I took it and immediately left to change.

 

After a few minutes, I went back.

 

Taeyong and Manager Song stopped when they saw me.

 

“Is it okay, Manager?” I asked, turning around. I felt a little uncomfortable wearing a skirt again. It’s been so long since I’ve last worn something like this and the fabric has been sort of ticklish when it touches my skin. 

 

“You look perfect, Hanna,” Manager Song mused. She went towards me and adjusted the ribbon attached to my blouse. “Just a slight more make-up and you’ll be ready,” she added and motioned for the stylist to come. I sat on the chair in front of the vanity mirror and prepared myself for the prepping up.

 

I saw Taeyong staring at me in the mirror.

 

“You okay?” I asked. He blinked and shook his head but didn’t answer. He remained sitting on the couch behind me as the stylist finished her work.

 

I stared at myself in the mirror.

 

I still look normal. Just a slight color on my lips and cheeks and a curl on my hair, but nothing else were changed. I took out my phone and took a selca for my parents and the boys.

 

 

Currently at a high school in Pyongchang-dong. MV filming’s about to start.

 

 

I typed in as a caption and hit send, making sure to create a separate text for my parents afterwards.

 

It didn’t take long for the members to send their replies.

 

 

Beautiful! said Xiumin.

 

Oh so prettyyyy, noona, said Sehun.

 

Looks good on you. Fighting! said Kris.

 

 

Baekhyun sent nothing but a simple heart sign. I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed.

 

“What’s with that sour face?” Manager Song spoke from behind me.

 

I immediately hid my phone away and turned to her. “N-Nothing, Manager,” I stammered.

 

She raised an eyebrow but didn’t push any further. She extended her hand towards me, “Want me to take a full shot of you?”

 

I hesitated to give her my phone for a while but in the end, I budged.

 

“Stand there for a good lighting,” she ordered and I obeyed. I stood at the right spot she was pointing. “1… 2… smile!”

 

I posed and the shot was captured.

 

We were about to take our second shot when Taeyong came barging in, interrupting us. He left a while ago so the stylist can also work on him. He looked more handsome with his styled hair.

 

“Oh, Taeyong! Just in time. Go stand with Hanna there. I’ll take a picture of you two,” Manager ordered again. Taeyong hesitantly obeyed. He cleared his throat as he stood beside me. I looked up at him. He looked like he was unsure of what he’s doing. I gave him a gentle smile, saying it’s okay. Manager was asking for it, anyway. And we both know there’s no point arguing with her. What Manager Song wants, Manager Song gets.

 

“1... 2… 3… kimchi!” Manager Song announced.

 

It took us more than five attempts before Manager Song became satisfied. She gave me back my phone and left to tell the staffs that we’re ready. In the end, Taeyong and I were the only ones in the room.

 

The atmosphere felt awkward.

 

Taeyong cleared his throat and sat beside me on the couch. He didn’t speak. After a few minutes, he cleared his throat again.

 

“Just say what you want to say, Taeyong,” I said to him, getting fed up of the deafening silence.

 

He shifted in his seat uncomfortably and took out his phone from his pocket. He turned to me. “Noona… Can we…”

 

I raised my eyebrows at him, waiting for what he’s about to say.

 

He took a deep breath and squared his shoulders. “Can I take a picture with you?”  

 

I almost rolled my eyes at him.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter