Chapter 36

Star-Crossed: How We Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 36

 

[Sol Han Na’s POV]

 

“You shouldn’t drink any cold water tonight. It might strain your throat,” Kyungsoo said as he took away the glass of water I was holding. We’re currently at a Chinese restaurant having our dinner sponsored by Manager Song herself. He called out the waiter and asked for a glass of lukewarm water. I pouted, genuinely wanting the iced one.

 

Chen chuckled. “It’s okay, Han Na. You have to protect your throat as much as possible especially since you’re prerecording tomorrow. You can have as much ice-cold water as you want after,” he consoled. The waiter delivered the drink and I emptied it in one gulp. I leaned back on my seat, feeling like my stomach’s about to burst any minute.

 

“So boys,” Manager suddenly spoke. “It has been days after your comeback and in a span of two weeks, it’ll be Han Na’s turn for debut. What do you think?”

 

“Well at last the long wait is over, Manager,” Kai answered. “I’m pretty sure a lot of people’s already waiting for the big reveal.”

 

“I’m sure it’s going to be a blast!” Sehun exclaimed.

 

My attention was caught by the sudden vibration of my phone. I turned it to mute every time I eat with the boys so as not to disturb them. I took the phone out of my pocket and checked.

 

It was a message from an unknown number.

 

Hiding the phone between my thighs under the table, I opened the message to see who the sender is.

 

 

From: 010*********

Good Evening, noona.

 

Pressing the phone deeper under the table, I sneaked out a reply.

 

 

To: 010*********

Who’s this?

 

 

I looked up and nodded my head, pretending to listen as Tao speak animatedly. The reply came in an instant. I bowed again.

 

 

From: 010*********

It’s Taeyong, noona. J

 

 

My mouth formed into a shape of an ‘O’. I rapidly sent back a reply.

 

 

To: 010*********

Oh, I see. Kekeke~ Sorry.

 

 

I raised my head again to continue listening to the conversation but I was met by Baekhyun’s judging look. I stared at him innocently. He raised one eyebrow at me, trying to ask what I was doing. I gave a slight shake of my head, denying. He seemed to have believed me for a moment before my phone vibrated again, making me jump on my seat in surprise.

 

“You okay, Han Na?” Suho asked beside me.

 

“Y-Yes, hyung.” I replied.

 

Suho didn’t push the topic any further and instead went back on their conversation.

 

Slowly, I returned my gaze to Baekhyun – knowing full well he’s not going to get fooled by my antics again. He’s got that you’re-busted look on his face. I ducked my head in embarrassment.

 

We were on our way to board the van when Baekhyun suddenly pulled me back, hiding the two of us behind the vehicle.  

 

“What was that?” he demanded, his eyes gleaming with intense suspicion.

 

I gulped. Should I tell him the truth?

 

A part of me wanted to stall away and lie – avoid any possible misunderstanding between the two of us. But another said I better tell him the truth since it’s bound to be known anyway.

 

In the end, I settled with the latter.

 

“It was Taeyong,” I replied shortly, knowing he’ll understand it pretty much.

 

“He’s texting you?” he asked, obviously surprised by the news.

 

I reluctantly nodded my head. “Y-Yeah. He asked for my number during lunch.”

 

“He asked for your number while we’re there with you?” he asked again, his voice controlled in many degrees. We’re still at the back of the van, the other members unaware of our absence.

 

“You were at the other table when he asked for it,” I explained, trying to loosen up the situation though I know it would just end in vain.

 

Baekhyun glared at me and spoke through gritted teeth, “We’ll talk again later.”

 

He left and boarded the van. I remained frozen for a while, contemplating whether it is safer to go ride with him or with the EXO-M members. I could have just ran off if I have the chance.

 

I shook the stupid idea off and jogged towards the other members. We rode the van and left. The members and Manager Ji Hye continued to get absorbed in their conversation while Baekhyun and I remained in our own silent bubble.

 

 

***

 

 

It wasn’t till midnight when Baekhyun and I got the chance to speak to one another. He entered my room after a single knock and headed to the veranda to stand beside me.

 

“I don’t see anything wrong in giving him my number,” I began, my palms already sweating regardless of the chilly night. “We’re friends, anyway.”

 

Baekhyun scoffed. “You only met him for what, three days? And you already consider him a friend?” he countered, disbelief and sarcasm mixed in his voice.

 

“I recently spent almost eight hours with him every single day doing things that... that...” I broke off. Baekhyun turned to face me, his expression challenging.

 

“Things that what?” he demanded.

 

“Things that made us close!” I blurted. My voice sounded defensive and utterly guilty. Baekhyun immediately saw through it. He smirked.

 

“How close exactly have you two gone that he actually had the guts to ask for your number?” he spoke as he stepped closer and closer to me, his voice low and husky. I felt the metal railings of the veranda prick my back and knew I was cornered. He extended his arms on my sides, gripping the railings behind me. I am now caged in his arms and I have no more way to go. I gulped at our close proximity. He inclined his head to the side and continued, his eyes narrowing, “I really am curious as to what you two really did in that workshop.”

 

My heart began to race. I looked down as I answered, “I-I can’t tell. It’s confidential.”

 

“Confidential enough fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter