Chapter 30: Facades

Our Twisted Love Story

~*Your/Hye Ri's POV*~

"Let's go over there, Oppa!" I announced rather loudly with a smile as I hugged his arm.

"Mmm." He hummed a quiet reply that I interpreted as a green light to go ahead. I took the initiative, towing him along behind me as I pleased.

"Wah look at this! Look at that! Whoaaa." I pointed out nothing in general, exaggerating my gestures, expressions, and inflection, but not to the extent that it became noticeably fake. Although it was just that. Fake.

"...Hye Ri?" An inquiring voice approached cautiously from behind. I would have been surprised to hear that voice. I would have... if I hadn't been expecting for it to come. If I hadn't planned for it to. I whirled around to face the owner of the voice that called my name, a smile a degree too bright gracing my lips.

"Ah it is you! I was worried I made myself look dumb in front of a complete stranger just then." Her tinkling laughter began right on cue and I couldn't help but find it annoying. When did I become like this? Ah. Of course I remember. How could I possibly forget. Clenching my fist to remind myself to stay level headed, I played along with her, articulating carefully thought out words.

"Yeah, Unnie. Wow I never thought we'd bump into you here. Are you alone or..." I trailed off, I mentally scolded myself, aggravated that I couldn't finish the simple sentence. Luckily, I didn't have to.

"No actually, I came with someone today since I'm not single anymore." If I looked closely enough and just at the right angle, it seemed as if she was smirking at me, taunting me. "Oppa. Oppa I'm over here." She waved.

I knew what was coming. I knew who was coming. I told myself not to be affected. I told myself a billion and one times not to let myself get hurt by someone who wasn't worth it, but I couldn't get rid of the uncomfortable feeling that settled in the pit of my stomach seeing him with another girl.

I tightened my grip on the arm I was holding, willing myself to stay strong. The figure beside me glanced at the opposite couple with sad eyes, mumbling something under his breath before releasing a worn out sigh, the sound of regret escaping his parted lips. Nevertheless, he nudged my shoulder comfortingly, calming me down a bit.

"Well since you guys are here together, and we're here together-" I made a subtle gesture between the pink-headed boy beside me and myself. "-why don't we go on a double date?" I proposed a smirk hidden behind my smile.

"That's a great idea! We'd love to." Sumi gushed while the eyes of the boy beside her doubled in size. He shifted uncomfortably on his feet, and by chance, our gazes met and locked. I kept my face void of emotion, not sparing even the slightest lift of my lips. He frowned and looked away, breaking eye contact, causing me to laugh silently in amusement.

Ohoho, the fun was just beginning.

--------------------------------------------------

"You have a little something on your face..." I trailed off as I leaned in daringly close to his face, delicately wiping off the tiny crumbs that clung the that corner of his slightly agape lips. "Got it." I declared as I sat back down in my seat, sneaking a glance at the fidgety bystander. I gave a hidden, triumphant smirk. I was beyond pleased with the reaction I evoked from the man sitting before me.

He was sitting uncomfortably, visibly shuffling about and squirming in his seat. His eyes that he tried to keep from looking at the exchanges between L.Joe and myself constantly betrayed him, continually trailing back, lingering in discomfort. I didn't understand why my actions bothered him so much, why it was uncomfortable for him to watch me being with L.Joe, but I didn't put much thought to it. The funny, and possibly sadistic, thing is, I enjoyed his discomfort. It was amusing for me, and his reaction to my small ministrations only encouraged me to continue on.

Feeling daring, I decided to take a bit of the cream off of the pastry I had bought and I smeared it onto L.Joe's cheek, genuinely laughing when I pulled away, leaving the cream behind. "You got a little something on your face again. You should really be more careful when you eat." I teased.

L.Joe rolled his eyes while landing a light flick to my forehead, the corner of his lips turning up into a small, amused smile. I opened my mouth to speak, but before I had a chance to utter a word, another voice beat me to it.

"You two make the cuuutest couple you know." Sumi commented cheerily, dragging out the 'u' when she spoke. Almost instantaneously, the mood dampened. L.Joe's smile disappeared, replaced by a frown and downturned lips whereas I no longer felt like continuing my little game any longer. At least not at the moment. Her voice reminded me that this was all fake; all just a play to get back at that one guy. Suddenly, I felt very drained, as if it was a task to even be sitting there in the cafe. 

"We do, don't we?" I gave a last, half-hearted shot at making that person uncomfortable, wrapping my arms around L.Joe's and leaning my head on his shoulder. "Well this was fun and all but I'm tired. We'll leave first." I announced already halfway out of my seat. "Enjoy." I bid them with a smile that didn't quite feel sincere. The moment my back was to them, I allowed my smile to drop, leaving my face void of emotions. Wordlessly, I towed L.Joe out of the cafe without a backward glance.

--------------------------------------------------

And it went on that way. L.Joe and I appearing where they were, hanging out, getting under L's skin. Some days, when I was feeling especially spiteful, it was worse, while others days, when I wasn't entirely in the mood, it wasn't much of anything really. I felt like an emotional wreck. The only highlight of my day was when I was around L, making him feel the pain he had dealt to me. It's kinda funny how, still, being around him makes my day better. And I hate it. Why does it have to be him? Why is it that he's still the only one to make me feel better when being around him should make me want to just sit in the corner and cry? Okay, maybe seeing him kinda makes me wanna bawl, but it makes me happy too... Like I said. I'm a mess.

Which doesn't really help with the situation I'm in right now.

"L.Joe. Would you mind if I had a word with her? Alone?" He didn't look at L.Joe when he spoke. His piercing gaze was directed towards me and it was locked there as he spoke through clenched teeth.

L.Joe stood his ground, casting worried side glances at me before gazing back at L. "...I'm not su-"

"It's okay L.Joe Oppa." I assured him quietly. "You can go, I'll be right out." I promised with a smile, which he returned with an unsure lift of his lips. He looked at me once more, looking for reassurance that I'd be alright before leaving the cafe.

"Oppa why are you sending him out when-" Sumi protested but she didn't get to finish her sentence.

"Sumi, could you please leave too?" L demanded curtly.

"But-"

"Please." With that, Sumi lifted herself from her seat, frowning as she headed for the exit, disdain written all over her features. Now the two of us were really alone. There was the chatter of the people surrounding us but I couldn't hear it. It was drowned out by the silence between us two, one that I dared not to break. I simply waited for him to speak first; he had been the one who wanted to talk with me alone anyway. I didn't have to wait long. After a short period of silence, he seemed to have composed his thoughts.

"What do you think you're doing. I keep trying to understand from your point of view but I just don't see it. I'm done with all of this cold shoulder crap that you're putting up. Why are you purposely trying to get at me by acting the way you do with L.Joe? I don't get it. What happened to you Hye Ri? Where did my sweet girlfriend go?" I stared at him in absolute shock. Really. He doesn't understand the reason behind my actions? He's accusing me and pretending like he never did anything wrong? Seriously?

"Really? I always thought better of you Myungsoo-sshi. I'd thought you'd have at least recognized that I'm only acting the way I am because of you. Because of what you did. Do you honestly think that there was no reason for me to be like this? Is that how you see me?" I replied, hurt, but at the same time angry. Who was he to reprimand me?

"My fault? Why do you always accuse me of every little thing?" He retorted, frustrated. I knew because he was running his hand through his tousled hair, an exasperated expression gracing his features.

I raised an offended brow. "Oh. So you're turning it on me, now?" 

"See you're doing it again!" He pointed out with exaggerated hand motions.

I rolled my eyes, acknowledging the fact that we weren't going anywhere with the conversation. I decided to be the bigger person and direct the conversation back on track so it could be over sooner. "Just say what you need to say and leave. Please." I let out a tired sigh. He calmed down, taking a few breaths before starting again.

"I wanted to find out why you've been acting the way you have been. Honestly, I don't understand. If I did something wrong, can't you tell me what it is so I can try and fix it rather than leave me hanging, wondering what I did to make you ignore me? It gets to a person. And I can't handle how you've been acting towards me anymore." He stated bluntly, but his tone was less accusing towards me and softer. I almost wanted to go back to him. I almost wanted to forget everything that ever happened and pretend that everything was alright. Almost. But the fact that he didn't know what he did wrong, the fact that he thinks that seeing my cousin behind my back was okay, I can't get over it. I can't let it go.

"...I can't believe you don't know." I half whispered, disappointed. 

His expression hardened and he straightened his back. I hadn't realized it, but we had ended up leaning across the table, our faces inches apart. I pulled back, sitting myself back down on my seat. "I see that you decided to just ignore everything I just said." He shook his head unbelievingly. "Forget it." He roughly pushed himself out of his seat, storming out of the cafe, leaving me staring after him. I visibly sagged in my seat.

It's all over. I'm done.