Chapter 28: Simple Amazement

Our Twisted Love Story

[A/N] Hey guys. It's been a while hasn't it? Sorry. I've been really busy. :(

It's October 5th today and that's actually my birthday. :D

As a present to all of you and as an apology, I decided to focus on getting a chapter up for you guys.

I know that it might not be the best and that I don't update as often as I should and I'm sorry for that. I will try my best to update more often but no promises.

Anyhow, hope you guys enjoy and have a wonderful day. :)

~*Your/Hye Ri's POV*~

From: Hye Ri

To: L.Joe

Hey... Can you come get me, please? I'm by Infinite's place.

Crossing my arms over my chest in an attempt to keep warm, I stood, glaring accusingly at the world around me through my teary eyes, blaming it for all my mishappenings. Sniffling ever so often as I tried to hold back the tears that threatened to fall, I cursed the world for stealing my happiness from me. For making me so confused. For making living such a hard thing to do.

I just... I need a little comfort, and at the moment, it seems as if he's the only one who will be able to give it to me with what's going on... What exactly is going on?

It's a little hard to process.

L. Sumi. Infinite. 

Everyone knew. They knew everything, yet they kept me in the dark.

Stupid.

How does that even benefit anyone? What's so bad about me knowing? I don't get it. I just can't- aish. It's not something I want to think about at the moment.

From: L.Joe

To: Hye Ri

I'll be right there.

As I stared at the message my phone relayed, a feeling of immense gratitude washed over me. From his simple confirmation, I felt happy. Reassured. Thankful.

He was coming.

That's all I needed to feel at ease. Without questioning why, he's coming to save me from this nightmare.

It's a nice feeling. I like it.

The thought of his arrival placated me a bit as I stood, waiting patiently for him to come. I kept an eye open, eager to catch a glimpse of the familiar pink locks, while at the same time, I unconsciously kept a watchful eye out for Infinite. It may be a stretch for me to think that they would come looking for me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't want to find myself in a situation when I am forced to face them when I am unable to at the moment.

At the thought of them, my expression dampened, dragging me down once more. Luckily, before I could dwell on the topic for too long, I was distracted, greeted by the telltale sign of his arrival; hair rhythmically bouncing on his head as he jogged his way over to my side, breath coming out as subtle, white puffs of smoke.

My lips curved into a small, involuntary smile due to his presence. It's amazing how he has this ability to brighten up my mood without even uttering a single word.

Once he was about an arm's length away, he slowed down to a stop. "Yo." He greeted casually, shoving his hands into his coat pockets as his lips quirked into a lop-sided smirk. I raised a hand to wave, smiling in gratitude. "So. Wanna explain a little..?" L.Joe gestured around, referring to the reasoning behind why I called for him.

"Mmm..." I avoided his gaze, still feeling the lingering disappointment with Infinite. A crease formed between my eyebrows as I began recalling what had been revealed to me involuntarily moments ago. Why did they-...

"Don't wanna talk about it?" He raised an eyebrow, suggesting we pass over the subject. It seemed as if he thought that I didn't trust him enough to tell him so I quickly shook my head, not wanting him to think that way.

"No. I just found out that Infinite was pretty much lying to my face." I shrugged with a bittersweet smile. "You know, Oppa, what I hate the most are liars." A sour expression crossed my face. "How can you hide things from people you consider are important to you? I don't understand."

L.Joe's Adam's apple did a quick bob as he swallowed his saliva. "...Yeah." If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that something was off. It seemed as if he was nervous for some reason, but I shrugged it off. I probably was sensing something that wasn't there and regardless of if something was, it wasn't my business to pry into.

"That's why I called you. I hope you don't mind. Right now... Well. I feel like you're the only one on my side. Like you're the only one who won't lie to me and betray my trust." I bit my lip, a slight pink color tinting my embarrassed cheeks. It was cheesy. Sure. But I simply wanted to express my gratitude towards him. I began walking, wanting to be moving. I expected L.Joe to fall into step beside me but he lingered behind, feet planted in the same spot. I shot him a questioning glance. "What's up, Oppa?"

"Hye Ri..." He sighed, running a quick hand through his silky hair. "I have something to confess, so just hear me out okay? Try to understand where I'm coming from." He held my gaze, a slightly saddened air surrounding him which left me confused. Nonetheless, I nodded, agreeing to hear whatever he had in store.

"...Don't say things like that, Hye Ri. I'm not who you think I am. No matter how much I wish I was, I'm not. I feel guilty knowing that you have so much faith in me, so my selfish request is that you stop with that. Stop trusting me so unconditionally."

I swallowed my saliva, staring at him in apprehension, deciding to purposely playing dumb. "What are you talking about? You're my oppa. Byunghun oppa. L.Joe oppa. Whichever you prefer. I do know you, so I don't understand what you're getting at."

"Hye Ri, you know that's not what I mean." He huffed somberly.

"...Then what is it? Why can't I trust you when you've always been there for me? Should I trust no one at all then?" I frowned, hurt that he didn't want my trust, and slightly guilting him in the process.

His expression dropped, clearly affected by my words. I frowned, beginning to regret the words that escaped from my careless lips. I wanted to take them back, but he beat me to it. He closed his eyes for a moment, heaving a sigh before replying. "Hye Ri. Don't think I don't want you to trust me. I want to be someone you can trust but the thing is that I don't deserve it. I did things that I really regret and I wish I hadn't done them, but it's too late now. Thinking about those things make me so ashamed of myself... but you have the right to know and honestly, I can't keep it to myself any longer. Listen carefully, Hye Ri. I... I was never dating Sumi."

I stood frozen, jaw hanging agape. The words that I wanted to tell him froze in my throat, forgotten completely.

Silly me. I should've known that L.Joe would know about everything too.

It's amazing how, in a single moment, he can bring my world crashing down in flames.