Chapter 24: Coincidental Cafe [Pt. 1]

Our Twisted Love Story

~*Myungsoo's POV*~

I took a seat at the booth beside the window, Sumi sitting down across from me. She had a cup of hot chocolate clutched in her hands while I sat empty-handed, not in the mood to consume anything. Taking a timid sip of the drink, she took her time to calm down before clearing , signifying that she was ready to speak. "I'm sorry Myungsoo Oppa... Hye Ri's mad at you because of me." She spoke quietly and straight to the point while wearing a frown on her features.

"Wh-what?" I stuttered in bewilderment, caught off guard by Sumi's bluntness. "Why would Hye Ri be mad because of you? You did nothing wrong to her, and she loves you so much." I reply, recovering from my original shock.

She paused for a split second, an unidentifiable expression crossing her face before she shook her head in disagreement. "No. It's my fault. It's my fault for getting you to try and help me in the first place..." She sighed, tears blurring her eyes. "I never should have."

"Why...-"

"Yesterday." She spoke over me before I could reassure her that she wasn't at fault. "When you came to help me, and well, all that stuff happened... after that, Hye Ri called. I guess she sensed I was out of it because she started question and she managed to force what happened out of me. I'm so sorry, I just can't say no to her." Sumi's voice faded out as she bit her lip. "I tried to make her think nothing of it. I told her it was no big deal and that nothing happened, but I can't hide anything from her. And-" She stopped herself from speaking for a moment to draw in a quick, deep breath. "I know I shouldn't be making all these excuses, since it's my fault. I just- I don't know what to do." She frowned, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"...So she's mad with me because I failed to help you, isn't she?" I asked quietly, summing up her words into one neat little sentence.

Sumi's eyes grew wide and she vehemently shook her head. "N-no! It's not like tha-" 

"It's okay. You don't have to deny it, Sumi. I did screw up yesterday. I'm sorry." I smiled somberly.

I knew I messed up yesterday...

So Hye Ri really was mad at me this morning. It wouldn't have made a difference if I stayed with her. Actually, it probably would have made things worse.

The thought depressed me. My Angel was angry with me, and it was entirely my fault. I was the one to blame.

I balled my hands into a tight fist. If only I had done things right. Yesterday, out of all days, I had to screw up. I should have followed the plan. I should have stayed focused. But no. I didn't. I wasn't good enough. I have to do better. 

A sense of conviction settled in my stomach; I knew what I needed to do. "Don't worry, Sumi. I promise you, it won't happen again. I won't mess up next time." I swore, determined to make helping Sumi my utmost number one priority.

"Myungsoo Op-" She began but cut herself off halfway, her eyes widened, gaze transfixed on something behind me. 

"What is it Sumi-" I turned around in my seat, but stopped speaking, my blood freezing over.

~*Your/Hye Ri's POV*~

"You promise they have ice cream here, right? You're not trying to cheat me out of an ice cream cone, are you?" I asked pointedly, one eye squinted in accusation.

"What are you going to do to me if I am?" He teased, opening the door for me to enter first. I scrunched up my face at L.Joe before entering, all the while laughing along with him.

"Don't underestimate me..." I said with a smile, but trailed off at the end as I spotted a familiar duo gazing at me with the same bewildered, wide eyes. Instantly, the smile disappeared from my face, a scowl taking its place. I looked away, more than ready to escape when she stopped me.

"Hye Ri-yah." Sumi spoke softly. "I have something to tell you."

With a sigh, I stopped walking, pressing my lips in a flat line. "What is it?" I asked quickly without looking at her, wanting her to spit it out so I could leave.

"Why don't you come and sit." She suggested.

"No thanks." I outright declined stubbornly, unwilling to take a step closer. "I'm fine standing here."

"Hye Ri..." She sighed. "Okay... I won't beat around the bush then." Sumi stated before taking a quick breath, causing me to tense. "Myungsoo Oppa and I... We're dating." She admitted, causing me to whip my head around faster than I believed was possible. My body felt numb, as if it had been inflicted so much pain that I couldn't feel it any longer. Sure, I hated that boy's guts at the moment, but I was in love with him not so long ago. It's hard to erase him out of my heart in such a short amount of time. I needed time; time I obviously didn't have. Sumi put her gaze on the floor in a shy gesture, her cheeks blazing, while Myungsoo's shoulders tensed, and for a moment, I was the old Hye Ri. I was the naive young girl who believed in wishful thinking and 'dream-come-trues.' Every story had a happy ending and I believed, at this moment, mine would too. L would come back to me. He'd apologize and embrace me; tell me he'd never leave me. I kept my gaze steady on his broad back, praying, wishing that he would deny Sumi's words. I wanted him to say that he still had me in his heart.

But of course my childish wish would never be granted. Not in this world; not the real world.

He sat silently, neither agreeing nor disagreeing, but it was enough. Enough to get me back on track. I placed a stoic expression on my face, void of all emotion.

So this is what betrayal feels like. The two people I had trusted the most in the whole entire world back stabbed me... together. Ha. Why would I think even the slightest bit that things would be different? Did I really think he would deny what he had with Sumi and admit I was still the one for him although he left me for her? That's naive thinking. That's not me any longer. I'm not naive. I won't let myself be tossed around like yesterday's garbage.

I clenched my fists tightly by my sides. I adorned a tight-lipped smile, words escaping my mouth without my permission.

"Oh really? L.Joe and I are dating too!"