Chapter 22: I'll Show You How It's Played

Our Twisted Love Story

~*Your/Hye Ri's POV*~

I sat huddled near the headboard of my bed, knees clutched tightly against my chest. At Infinite's place yesterday during my breakdown, I happened to graze my arm on the wall as they attempted to walk me down the hallway, and I couldn't help but laugh. Why? Because it made me realize how wrong I had been before.

*Flashback*

I ran my hand along the wall absently as I walked along, feeling its smooth texture. It was as if there were no imperfections at all.

*End of Flashback*

The walls weren't perfect. They were calloused, rough, the ridges and cuts evident. Before, I thought that there were no imperfections at all, the same way that I thought my life was absolutely perfect. But now, I realize that I've just been too naive,  didn't see that nothing is perfect and nothing ever will be. I should have realized sooner; I could have spared myself from at least a fraction of the pain.

All this time, I foolishly put my trust into Myungsoo, believing in his loyalty. What an idiot. Why didn't I ever think that he wouldn't find someone else? Why did I just follow him like a lost puppy? I'd always thought he was better than those characters depicted in the dramas, the ones that brought pain to the female lead. After all, it's simply a movie, isn't it? Just some other heart wrenching plot an inspired author came up with. I guess that's where my naivety blinded me. Turns out those dramas were more realistic than I made them out to be. 

Tch. It's like life is playing some kind of sick joke on me. Life deemed me too naive, never questioning shady actions, putting too much trust in the people around me; this is all simply life's way of removing the veil covering my eyes, slapping me into reality. What better way than to hit me with tragedy?

Now that I look back, I'm disgusted with myself. How could I possibly have been so oblivious to everything around me?

Him avoiding me.

Being together, yet feeling as if we were worlds apart.

His words that were once sweet and passionate morphing into preset recordings that he had taught himself to recite.

The caller id flashing across his cell phone, indicating that my dear cousin was calling.

His stutters when I'd asked him about her.

Him running out when I needed him yesterday. Lemme guess. He probably ran to Sumi's side too. Ha.

All the evidence was in front of me, yet I refused to acknowledge it. I denied it all because all of my trust was with him, thinking he was above lying to me, betraying me. 

Thinking he was different.

But I guess I was wrong. Well, I give kudos to those film directors. It's incredible how accurately they portray their characters.

It makes me wonder, was anything he ever said to me sincere? Or were they just meaningless words, spilling out of his mouth for my benefit? Was it all just a joke for him? Another game to play? Probably. He's always been like that. Always found enjoyment in teasing me.

I'm curious, really. Maybe I was deceived more than I thought.

Maybe, nothing was ever real between us. Maybe I was being played all along.

What? He said he wanted to protect my 'innocence?' Bull. More like he destroyed it. Tch. Either that or he did a really lousy job protecting me. Either way...

Two can play at this game.

If he wants to play me, fine. If he thinks he can treat me as something dispensable, replaceable, fine.

I'll just get him back twice as good. Simple.

I don't know if I should be hateful or not. Sure, his facade was painful, to the point that I dropped into a low spot and couldn't function, but at least now, I'm not stuck in my fictional world any longer. I don't see the world as censored, the imperfections blotted out. Everything isn't simply fun and games; it's not like problems don't exist anymore. 

I'm 18 now. It's about time I've woken up and seen the world for what it really is. It's not perfect, not flawless, and there are no such things as happy endings. The world is cruel, it likes to take away what you treasure most, and it is absolutely never fair. It's just the way things are and that'll never change.

So, the only way to cope is to change to accommodate to the new world I'm thrown into.

I'll no longer be naive or oblivious. I'll be more cautious. I'll take care of myself. I'll make sure not to put too much trust into anyone. I'll toughen up. I'll change for the better, a new Hye Ri...

No longer carefree. No longer naive. No longer depending on others. No longer living in a fairytale.

The old Hye Ri is dead.

The doorbell rang and my face immediately scrunched up in annoyance. With a pissed groan, I uncurled my limbs and sauntered to the living room, taking all he time in the world, making sure the intruder knew he or she was of no importance to me. I carelessly threw open the door, removing the obstacle between me and the person on the other side.

The moment I laid eyes on him, they narrowed into cold slits, the complete opposite of my usual bubbly greetings. "What are you doing here?" I scowled, practically spitting out the words as if they were poison in my mouth.

"Angel..." I stiffened as an unwanted tingle ran down my spine. Mentally, I cursed myself for being so weak, for feeling pleasure from the pet name, for letting his words affect me. I frowned. "What's wrong? Is that really the first thing you're going to say to me?" He asked softly, as if he cared about me.

Yeah right.

My gaze hardened, frown deepening. I would not fall for his act. "Yes." I responded curtly. "And here's the second. Get out." I flung my thumb into the direction I wanted him to go; out the door, off my property, and far, far away. I didn't care where.

"Ange-"

"Don't call me that, Myungsoo-sshi." I cut him off before he could utter that cursed word that made my knees go weak, the one that made my defenses crumble. "We don't know each other well enough to make nicknames for one another." I glared up at him, channeling all my hatred through my eyes. "And honestly, we aren't close enough for you to visit my house either, so I suggest you leave, Myungsoo-sshi." I raised a brow; it wasn't a suggestion... more like an order.

"Hye Ri-" I didn't wait for him to speak. I simply shut the door, giving a quick 'goodbye' out of mock courteously before it had completely shut. With a tired, but victorious smirk, I headed back to my bedroom, wanting to rest for a while longer.

Hye Ri: 1 Myungsoo: 0

Game on, L Oppa.