Chapter 15: Deja Vu

Our Twisted Love Story

~*Sungyeol's POV*~

I ran past the park, but quickly backtracked when I saw a red figure huddled by the trunk of a tree.

Could it be...?

My heart pumped in anticipation as I made my way towards the limp figure. Half of me desperately wished that it was her, yet the other half didn't.

This girl looked so weak, so beaten up... almost lifeless. It looked as if she had already given up on living. I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat. I was just about to run over to the girl and help her when another figure came into the picture, beating me to it. It was someone I recognized. With his distinct tuft of hair, how could I not? My feet cemented themselves to the sidewalk, not allowing me to move even if I wanted to. I watched as he quickly wrapped his jacket around the girl's frail figure and a heavy jacket on top of that before swiftly sweeping her up in his arms and taking her away before I had a chance to even react.

Heh.

It seems that lately, all I've become is a spectator. I'm always on the sides, just watching.

That's all I can do, isn't it? Watch on the sides. It's all I can do.

Painfully, I shut my eyes and stood for a moment to calm my aching chest.

~*L.Joe's POV*~

The moment she ran out, I reacted. Sungyeol had already run out after her and I made sure that I was close behind. Before I left, I made sure that I grabbed an extra heavy jacket for her, knowing that she would be beyond freezing. Quickly, I dashed out of the open door, already sure about where I would start my search. I felt a pull in my chest telling me to go towards the park that I had found her at before and since I had no where else to start, I let my feet follow my heart.

As I neared the park, my heart stopped beating. There she was, slumped against a tree trunk in the same place I had found her last time. Without a second to waste, I hurried to tend to her, working as fast as I could as my heart squeezed in my chest. 

Her face was pale, the color fading from her cheeks and her hands were icy, cold to the touch. I tried being calm; I tried to think clearly but it haunted me that her eyes wouldn't open.

I've never felt this way before. I've never felt so helpless, so useless, so afraid. My heart was pumping so fast and painfully that I almost couldn't breathe... In the back of my mind, I knew the reason, but I couldn't accept it yet... I mean how could I-

FOCUS GODDAMMIT LEE BYUNGHUN!

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and then draped my jacket over her shoulders before bundling her up in an even heavier jacket to make sure that she wouldn't lose any more body heat. In a matter of seconds, her disheveled figure was curled up in my arms and I was running like hell.

~*Later*~

I hadn't left her side since we arrived at my apartment. 

She was wrapped in layers of anything that would insulate her and, thankfully, the coloring had returned to her cheeks, letting my heart beat at a slightly steadier pace. Softly, I swept a few strands of her hair out of her eyes, carressing her with soft touches in order to keep from waking her.

Psh. Look at this. I'm being all soft and mushy. It's disgusting.

I rolled my eyes yet I couldn't help from softening my gaze once I laid eyes on her sleeping features. I allowed my mind to wander as I silently watched her, admiring her serene expression as she rested. I found myself admiring more than just her serene expression. I admired her cascading eyelashes that softly draped over her closed eyes, her button nose that took soft, silent breaths... her kissa-- pouting lips that quivered as she mumbled something incomprehensible in her dreams... 

Virtually nothing has changed since the last time I brought her here. It's like...

Deja vu. Everything was happening all over again. 

1. I find her in the park; distressed because of that Myungsoo guy.

2. I carry her home to my place.

3. I take care of her and let her rest.

4. I find myself watching over her while she sleeps like some kind of lovesick fool. Damn it.

Wait. What?

The hell? What are you thinking? Get your thoughts straight. You're not lovesick. You're worried for her. You're watching over her to make sure she's okay. Nothing more, nothing less. Get a freaking hold of yourself.

I found myself pressing my temples with my fingers in order to ease the pounding in my head. I pinched the bridge of my nose with my eyes tightly shut, deep in thought when Hye Ri began whimpering, causing my eyes to shoot right open.

"D-don't... no... don't l-leave..." She whispered with furrowed eyebrows as a small tear escaped from the corner of her eye. My chest clenched, giving me pain in response to hers. Tentatively, I grasped onto her open hand, assuring her that I was with her even though I know she wasn't referring to me in her dreams. 

"Shh. No one's leaving you. I won't leave. It's all just a nightmare. You're having a nightmare. Shh.." I felt slightly embarrassed as I spoke to her sleeping figure even though she couldn't hear me. Before, I wouldn't even dream of pulling something like this but... gah! I pulled at the collar of my shirt at an attempt to cool down my flushed face. Being around her's influencing me. I'm not the same me anymore.

I, the rebellious prankster, have become the mushy sap who does things like this. Aish. 

After a while of mumbling to her with red cheeks, to my relief and pleasure, she calmed down and fell into a deep, calm slumber. My eyebrows knit together once I spotted the growing dark circles under her eyes that I hadn't previously seen. It upset me. It was obvious that she wasn't getting enough sleep and it was even more obvious that it was all because of Myungsoo.

"L.. Oppa." She whispered, causing me to tense. Even in her sleep, she thought of him. My chest constricted painfully yet I continued to deny the reason. It's because I don't like how she thinks about him even though he was away. I don't like how he hurt her and how his absence made her lose sleep. That's why. Yeah. I allowed the weak attempts to wrap around my brain and convinced myself to believe them. I'm worried for her as a friend. 

"Stupid Myungsoo." I muttered resentfully under my breath. I sighed as my gaze continued returning to dark coloring beneath her eyes.

You babo. Always making me worry about you. What's with those dark circles? You don't need to lose sleep over that guy. Your health is more important. Aish. What will happen to you if you fall asleep while you're crossing a street or something? What if I'm not there to save you? Babo. You'll give me a heart attack.You need to stop making my heart stop everytime you're in danger... really. I won't be able to take it. Babo. Babo. Babo. Babo.

I shook my head although a smile lingered on my lips. I decided to step out of the room for a second when her grasp on me tightened. "L..Joe Oppa..." I stiffened with wide eyes, my heart picking up in speed until all I could hear was its pounding. Did she just... call for me..? Did she wake up...?

I looked at her over my shoulder to find that she was completely knocked out, snoozing and unaware of her surroundings. I let out a small breath that I didn't realize I was holding. I decided against leaving, half afraid that removing my hand from hers would cause her to wake up and the other half... I honestly didn't want to let go. As I sat gazing at her, her hand clasped around mine with my heart pounding away in my chest, I knew that there was no way that I could possibly deny it any longer.

No matter how much I insisted against it, every detail supported the idea. It was wrong, but I couldn't help myself; I couldn't stop the feeling from growing in me. She was one of the few who brought down my defenses and left me weak. From her obliviousness to her admirable courage and stuborness, it wasn't long before I found myself looking foreward to seeing her anytime possible. She's something different. Someone special to me. I would willingly stand any pain just to keep her out of harm's way.

I knew it all along but I refused to accept it.

I fell for her. I fell for Lee Hye Ri.

This is so wrong. I can't. I shouldn't.

Pushing my thoughts aside, I decided to break the rules just once. I mustered up enough courage to sweep the bangs from her forehead and place a tentative peck in its place, knowing that in her sleep was the only time I would be able to show her how much she meanst to me. I closed my eyes, savoring the few seconds that my lips made contact with her soft skin. I shouldn't have, but I did. It was wrong but, hey, when did that ever matter to me before? You gotta live in the moment. You only live once so why not live without regrets?

Pulling away, I gave her a somber smile. I had to get out. Removing her grasp around me, I risked waking her in order to get out and clear my head before I fall any deeper. It was bad enough that I already have feelings for her, falling even deeper... that's out of the question. I briskly walked down the hallway, running a troubled hand through my hair with a frown. It can't happen and I have to make sure to keep myself in check so it doesn't happen.

This is so bad. It's getting too complicated... Hye Ri... Falling for you was never part of the plan.