Chapter -19: 11:11

Our Twisted Love Story

~*Your/Hye Ri's POV*~

I was woken up by the ringing and vibrating of my cell phone, indicating that I got another text.

I groggily sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes before checking my phone.

From: Myungsoo

To: Hye Ri

Hye Ri. I need your help. Come to the park as fast as you can okay?

I bolted upright, at the thought that he needed me, completely forgetting about being tired. I took a glance at my alarm clock on my side table. It read 11:11. I shut my eyes for a moment and made a wish.

I wish... I wish I would have a chance to be with Oppa.

Satisfied, I quickly patted down my hair and checked my face for drool marks before making a run for the door once again.

--------------------------------------------------

Once I reached the park, I realized just how dark it had gotten. For some reason, the lights of the park were out, giving it an eerie and unwelcoming feel. I shuddered involuntarily as I felt the cold air bite my skin. In my rush to get to Myunsoo, I had forgotten to bring a sweater.

"O-oppa?" I called out unsurely into the darkness. I tiptoed along the paved walkway, trying not to make a sound and catch any unwanted attention.

I heard the snap of a branch from somewhere nearby. "Oppa?!" I squeaked at the sudden noise. My heart was racing and I was on the verge of tears. I warily glanced around; all I wanted to do was go home and crawl into the safety of my bed.

"Where's Oppa?" I asked the darkness, begging for it to give Myungsoo to me. My eyebrows were knit in fear of what dangers could be lurking in the dark. My mind was on red alert, the fear causing me to jump at even the slightest sound.

After what seemed like an eternity, I heard the voice that I was waiting for, and I was instantly calmed down. "Hye Ri? Hye Ri-yah."

I turned toward the sound and made out the outlines of a silhouette emerging from the shadows. "Myungsoo Oppa." I sniffled with a wavering voice.

"Yes?"

After hearing his voice, I ran over and without a second thought, wrapped my arms around him. I hid my face into his shirt, trying to find protection from my dark surroundings.

It was a moment before I felt him wrap his arms around me and my head comfortingly. "Hye Ri. What's wrong? Why are you being like this? Did something happen? Are you hurt somewhere?" He interrogated me, the worry evident in his voice.

Hesitantly, I pulled back so I could slightly see his face outlined by the light of the moon. "I'm better now..." Reluctantly, I slipped out of his grasp. "Why did you call me here, Oppa?" I questioned, trying my best to keep my voice level in order to change to topic as well as show Myungsoo that I was perfectly fine. He gave me a look that told me he didn't buy my act, but he let it slide anyway.

"Ah. I already solved that problem. Sorry about that." He sheepishly smiled and ran a swiftly through his hair. "I thought I texted you that you didn't need to come anymore... You didn't get my message?"

"No..." I shook my head. "Then I guess I'll go home since you don't need me..." I was about to make my way to the bus stop, but after taking some time to think, I decided to call for someone to come by and pick me up instead. I don't think the buses are running at this hour and I definitely don't want to walk all the way home by myself in the dark. Just the thought of it caused me to shiver. I patted my pockets in search of my phone so I could make a call. I furrowed my eyebrows and bit my lower lip when I came out empty handed after my search. "I left it at home..." I muttered to myself.

Left without a choice, I dragged my feet a few steps and urged myself to walk home. I just hope that nothing will happen.

"Hye Ri..." Myungsoo grabbed a hold of my wrist lightly, careful not to hurt me. Butterflies came alive in my stomach just by the simple touch. "Where do you think you're going? Why don't you just stay with me? I can't let you walk home alone in the darkness. It's not safe. It's my fault you're here anyway."

Should I stay?

Half of me wanted to quickly agree to what he was suggesting while the other half of me wanted to be stubborn and insist on going home.

If I stay, I get to be with Oppa and not be alone... but he's waiting for his crush...

If I stay, won't I just be a third wheel..?

As I continued my silent contemplation, he gently tugged on my wrist causing me to look at him. "Come on. I don't want to stay here alone. Keep me company. Please?" He used his rare aegyo on me, causing me to crack and give a hesitant nod. He smiled victoriously and led me towards the fountain in the middle of the park. It was a different sight since the water wasn't running. Myungsoo let go of me and took a seat on the ledge, patting the dirt off of the space next to him then motioning for me to sit.

"Why are you so quiet? You're making me feel nervous." He mused.

"Sorry." I apologized with my gaze fixed on the floor.

I felt him lay his gaze on me, but I refused to look up. "You know I was just joking... What's wrong? You're acting strange."

"Am I..?" I questioned both him and myself quietly.

He didn't respond, resulting in a stretched silence between the two of us. I smoothed out the nonexistant wrinkles on my jeans and crossed my arms, attempting to shield myself from the growing cold. I felt a warmth cover me as a weight fell on my shoulders. I looked up in surprise at Myungsoo and he just gave me a small smile back. Once he shifted his gaze at the sky, I lightly the material of his jacket, a warm, fuzzy feeling also spreading through my chest. I smiled to myself, feeling giddy.

I took a peek at his serene face that was gazing thoughtfully up at the moon and the stars. "Oppa. What are you thinking about..?"

"Hmm? I'm just wondering when I should confess... I don't know... why I couldn't just do it... all of these years." He spoke quietly without tearing his gaze off of the sky. It didn't seem as if he were talking to me, but it seemed like he was talking to himself.

I tilted my head in confusion. "Oppa. Aren't you going to confess when she gets here? Is she here already? Where? You've known her for a long time, Oppa? Do I know her? Have I met her before?" I bombarded him with questions to help clear my confusion.

He smiled at me. "Whoa, Hye Ri-yah. Are we playing 20 questions? Give me some time to answer your questions before you ask any more." He chuckled. My cheeks enflamed and I looked the other way.

"S-sorry."

"Mmm.." Myungsoo took in a big huff of air and let it out. "Yea. I'll confess when she gets here... I've waited a while to be able to actually do this. I've known her for the longest time and I've kept my feelings from her for the longest time. The only reason that she doesn't realize how I feel is..."

"Because she's naive, Oppa?" I guessed, remembering our conversation earlier on.

Myungsoo smiled in amusement. "Yeah. Because she's naive."

My eyebrows knit together and I tilted my head slightly. "Is there something that I don't get? What's so funny?"

He just laughed lightly and shook his head. He eyed his clock and abruptly stood up. "Wait here a sec, okay Hye Ri? I'll be right back."

"Wait-" Before I could say anything, he was already gone. "I don't want to be alone..." I whispered and sighed. I warily looked around and began to hum a quiet tune to take my mind off of... off of everything.

Hurry and come back, Oppa...

I jumped as, once again, I heard the crack of a twig. I searched around for the source of the sound. A lit figure was advancing my way and with every step closer it came, my heart picked up it's pace. Fear gripped me as my mind conjured up ideas of what the figure could be. But all of that fear vanished in the moment I laid eyes on the person's face. "Oppa." I breathed. I got up out of my sitting position and my gaze shifted to the item he was holding in his hands. The light being emited was coming from a candle atop of the small ice cream cake Myungsoo held. It was in the shape of a heart.

"Is that for the girl you like, Oppa?" I curiously looked at the icing on the cake. It read 'Happy Birthday!'

Hm? I thought that it would be a confession cake...

As if he were reading my mind, Myungsoo responded. "It's her birthday today. She's turning 18."

"Ah.." I nodded my head in understanding.

"Blow out the candles." Myungsoo instructed.

"Huh?" I looked at him confused and looked back to see if he was talking to someone behind me. "Me?" I pointed to myself, earning a nod from Myungsoo. "Isn't that for your crush, though? It's not even my birthday!" I protested.

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. "Are you not listening to your Oppa? Tell me. What day is it today?"

"Mmm... it's... May 4th..."

"That's where you're wrong. May 4th was yesterday. Now blow out your birthday candles, please."

I quickly shook my head with a pout. Left without a choice, I hesitantly blew out the candles. "Happy Birthday, Hye Ri-yah." He whispered. Without the light of the candles, our surroundings darkened. I heard Myungsoo's footsteps moving farther away from me. "Oppa? Where-" I was cut off by the sound of a switched being flipped. My eyes widened as the area around the fountain came to life.

I hadn't realized before in the darkness, but the trees were strung with small white lights. They were now shining brightly as if a hundred stars had been plucked from the sky and brought down to earth. The fountain was spewing a flow of water and trickled down beautifully as if it were putting on a water show. I put my hand over my mouth in awe at the sight before me. "It's beautiful..." I whispered.

I felt a cold touch on my neck and I touched the spot to find a necklace dangling there.

A necklace with an angel pendant.

I turned around to see Myungsoo looking perfect as ever with his hands in his pockets. He was looking to the side at first, but slowly, his gaze came upon me. A soft smile grew on his face.

"Hye Ri... you're the only girl that knows me and the only one that makes me smile just by standing next to you. I like how you're always so oblivious and innocent... I want to protect that, like I told you before. Will you be my girlfriend?" He held out the bouquet of flowers I had made.

I stayed glued to my spot, not comprehending what I was hearing.

Oppa... likes me..? I'm the one...?

I blinked once. Twice. Three times.

It took a moment, but the butterflies eventually came alive and I broke into a wide grin.

I threw my arms around his neck. "Yes. I'll definitely be your girlfriend. I've been wishing forever for this... I just hope it's not a dream." I confessed with closed eyes.

"Don't worry, it's not. You really didn't expect me to have feelings for you? You're so naive." Myungsoo affectionately chuckled with his arms around me.

"Wait..." I paused for a moment before realization hit me. "So you were talking about me the whole time!" I gaped.

"The one and only." His shoulders moved as he laughed. I smiled as I mock-punched his back and began laughing along with him.

Thank you... thank the heavens for letting my wish come true... I will treasure it with all of my heart...

Who says that wishing at 11:11 doesn't work? It definitely did for me.