051 FINAL I

One More Day

FINAL I

I didn't think I'll get over you easily but

Is it selfish of me to hope you are the same?

~ "Just One Day" BTS ~


Another month has started. And so will another chapter of her life.

"Are you ready?" Joohyeon spun around to the door of her room and found her brother leaning on the doorway, arms crossed over his chest and a smirk on his lips. 

It's been two and a half weeks since the incident. Everything was going as smoothly as it could for her. She had spent most of her time fixing her papers and taking some sort of training from their company although all she actually did was look around the company. She wasn't really asked to do it. Instead, she was the one who requested it, not wanting to be coped up at home. 

During her free time, she would often be out eating with her oppas or if not, newly found friends in their company, people she had met during the short training time. Meanwhile, her weekends were filled with smiles and laughter as the boys finally came to see her with an exception of a certain guy. It does bother her and it made her disappointed and somehow mad but then, she knew it was better as she would have time to fix everything else before she could do so with the things between them.

They were also back studying since they've missed a few weeks. Joohyeon knew how hard it would be so she made sure to help them with their late admission since after all, she was the reason they had to miss school and although she doesn't like using their power, this time around, since their family is one of the prominent owners of top schools and universities in the country, they know a lot of people working in the same industry and luckily, their family is close with the director of the university the boys are attending so it was easy to get them in. She didn't tell them though because they didn't want them to feel burdened.

But before anybody else, there was someone who came to see her, just two days after being discharged and it was no other than Hoseok, the guy who never failed to make her smile. She never expected to see him but was relieved nevertheless. She could still remember how he said that he thought he'll never be able to see her and just tire himself out to go there, a slight pout on his lips. She introduced him to Jongin who left them just as fast as she introduced him because of some business matters although she knew he did it to give them time alone. Hoseok then told her his reason for being there, something that didn't surprise her much as he would often repeat it during text messages.

"I came to bring your things back," he said, his left hand on his hip before his eyebrows narrowed on her, his lips pressed together, as he added, "But that's only an excuse. I went here to get what you owe me," he said, smirking and she was surprised for a moment before she realized what he meant and broke to a smile.

She couldn't say no to that especially as he came over specifically for 'that'. She was about to say okay when she remembered how she isn't allowed to leave without anybody. A sullen look came over her face until her phone vibrated and she excused herself to Hoseok before going to answer it. 

"Oh, and don't worry. I'll cover up for you. Go and have fun!" The cheery voice of Jongin came over to the phone but before she could even say a word, the line was cut and she could only shake her head, a small smile on her lips. Even with a reassurance, she hesitated but when Hoseok asked her if everything's alright, she couldn't just turn him down. Anyway, she trusts Jongin will do as he said.

She looked left and right before quickly grabbing his arm and pulling him, startling the boy for a while before a smile came to his lips and said, "It's like we're running away from our teachers who are ready to scold us and we're not even in school!"

They ended up riding the bus that came just as they reached the nearest bus stop after running for a while. She spent a good four hours with him before she had to go home. It seemed a little short for the 'day' Hoseok asked of her but they sure did a lot and talked about many things.

And now, weeks and days after all that, she had to leave, not because her brother thought it was better for her, but because she knew it was the best for her. She had thought of it thoroughly, spent night after night weighing the pros and cons of it until she had made a decision.

"I'm not running away," she said to her brother when they talked about her decision, "I'm simply taking a break off to think of things and I'll be back."

She knew how precious time is, she might even know better than most people do, and the way she had spent it for the past years, she doesn't regret it. But one thing she learned from it would be taking things step by step. You might be slowing down but at least, you get to savor every moment as long as it could last. And that's what she was planning. Do everything in a slower pace and enjoy every second and minute of it.

She scanned her room left and right before shrugging, a small smile on her lips. "This room can't get any barer, can it?" Joonmyeon released a soft chuckle and shook his head. "I guess not. Let's go. The car's waiting for us." Joohyeon nodded before grabbing her sling bag and following her brother out. Once she was at the door, she can't help but look back once more and sweep a look around her room. Everything was back to its place like how it was before she came back although ne. With a little smile, she closed the door.

Downstairs, just as she stepped out the front door, her phone began ringing. She fished it out of her bag and read the caller id before answering it.

"Omma," she said, a smile appearing on her lips. They talked for a short while, with her mother just leaving her reminders before ending it with 'I love you’s minutes later.

"Mom was nagging again, huh," Joonmyeon said as he opened the door to the backseat and Joohyeon stepped in before humming in answer. "You know she's just going to miss you right?" He said as he entered himself and Joohyeon nodded. She then looked out the window and saw the front garden in her view. She never got to hang-out at that area that much and she thought it was a shame because it really has a very good ambiance. When the car rolled out the gate, she took a look out at the exterior of their house. It hasn't changed from the memory she could remember. 

"Don't stare at it too much. It won't go away. And you're coming back, you said it, right?" Joonmyeon said, looking over at her the same time she looked at him. A smile came to her lips as she nodded, "You're right."

When she her side of the window, she felt tugging in her heart at what her sight landed—the playground. Memories suddenly started flooding her mind, old and recent and a reminiscent smile came to her lips. In a short second, her heart skipped a beat as a figure entered the said place, making her lean back. Joonmyeon noticed it and instead of asking her, he looked past her. He hesitated for a while before telling the driver to stop.

Joohyeon had a hand on her chest when she noticed the car coming to a halt. She looked at her brother and asked, "Why..."

Joonmyeon leaned back on his seat and let out a breath. "I also don't know why but let's just say it's my own way of making it up to you," Joonmyeon seemed to think for a moment beofor he turned to her and looked past her, "and to him." Joohyeon looked confused but didn't have time to ask when he added, "I don't want you regretting anything after leaving. We have roughly ten minutes to spare. I haven't seen him coming around to visit and I don’t know if something’s wrong so maybe you may want to see him." Her brother pursed his lips, "Oh and the car's windows are medium tinted. He won’t be able to see you unless he gets close enough," Joonmyeon smirked and Joohyeon felt like crawling under the table. How could she even forget?

She thought as long as he won’t notice the car nor would he come closer, it would be alright. Taking a deep breath, she looked out the window and watched him walking fast as if in a hurry but going in no particular place. A faint smile came to her lips until it faltered when a familiar girl came into view, sneaking behind the said boy. "That girl… Jae...Jaehwa?"

"What?"

Joohyeon swallowed, "Nothing."

She watched her try to scare him off but Taehyung seemed to not notice her as his eyes were fixated on something. It was a second later that she noticed that he was staring at her car, making her eyes slightly widen. Taehyung took a step forward, one at a time, and at the same time, her heart beat fast. He kept on walking until he stopped when he got in the middle of the playground. She can't seem to look away when finally his eyes found hers. She wasn't sure how but somehow, he was directly looking at her, as if being able to see through the tinted glass, unless… Her eyes widened.

She knew it too late to look away and she can’t even do so as if her eyes were gravitated on him. She felt her hand reaching for the door handle before she stopped herself and clenched her hand instead. She stared long at him, wondering if he could read her through the barrier set between them. She doesn't know how many seconds or minutes passed when she finally had the strength to tear her gaze away and look forward. 

Inhaling a shaky breath, she said, "Let's go."

Joonmyeon looked at her to make sure that she was really ready to go before looking at the boy still rooted in his spot. "Joohyeon, are you..."

"Yes, oppa. Don't worry. Let's go." She smiled at him reassuringly. Joonmyeon took a deep breath and nodded. She looked around again and found him still there, watching their car, or her, she wasn’t sure. He ordered the driver to drive and not until they had turned the last corner did Joohyeon tear her gaze away from the boy.

//

"YAH! KIM TAEHYUUUUUUUUUNG!"

He burst out his room, leaving his friends screaming after him.

It was just a little past lunch when his friends came over and continued pestering him. He wasn't even surprised to see them as they had been telling him over calls and messages that they would come if he won't do anything. What was he even supposed to do? She wouldn't even be leaving. She couldn't. He was about to close the door when he heard Jungkook shout, "I SWEAR YOU'LL REGRET THIS!" He sighed before shutting the door. He trudged out his place with no idea where to go. He just wanted to get away from his friends. He loves them but they could get a little handful sometimes, like that day.

It wasn't until he saw the playground that his pace slowed down a little. He felt his jaw clenching. Because of the playground and the familiar top of the house at the distance he had the urge to listen to his friends’ words and he asked himself, “She isn’t leaving…right?” He closed his eyes and relaxed his mind. He pondered on what to do and when he opened them, he nodded to himself. "You'll just check on her. There's nothing wrong with that...right? I don't have to see her. I just have to ask anybody from there. Right. You just have to prove them wrong, Taehyung."

He was about to take another step when a car came to his view and he found himself stopping. His eyebrows furrowed at the familiar black car. He felt someone hold on his shoulders with a 'boo' but couldn't be bothered by it as he took a step forward, slowly, as if he was dragging himself. It was on his third step that his eyes were finally able to get a glimpse inside the tinted glass when faint light shone on it. With just one glance, he knew whose eyes it was. He told himself that it could be anyone else, that his eyes might just be playing tricks on him, and tried to force himself to look away but his gut told him he was right—that it was her. It was only a second later that her face became a little visible through the restrictions the tinted glass gave him.

And that’s when something started building up in his stomach and made his breath hitch to his throat.

His friends’ words came repeating in his mind, and the days he was trying to ignore it and the six boys and avoiding the girl created a dreading feeling in his chest.

She’s really leaving… The thought replayed in his mind and a bitter smile came to his lips. He doesn’t know what else to feel at that moment. Was he supposed to be mad? Frustrated? Betrayed?

Perhaps all.

He can’t even feel sadness at all, no matter how ironic it might sound. He was just mad—mad that she left again without a goodbye and mad at himself for being mad at all when he was the one avoiding her for weeks—frustrated—why he spent all those days he could’ve spent with her coped up in his house—and betrayed—he believed that she really didn’t want to leave and would have done everything to prevent it.

But here she was. Leaving again.

Before, he wasn’t even able to see her leave and the car he watched go was her brother’s but now he found himself rooted in his place, staring at her as it was all he felt he could do even if he knew he could ran over to her and try to stop her—something he wished he could’ve done before.

He wasn't sure if she was still looking at him because the momentary light has moved away from the window, making it hard to look through. Their distance was just another. He didn't want to look away though because if she was indeed looking at him, he wants her to read his eyes. He doesn't even know what she would be able to see. Would it be those feelings he felt inside? Or maybe how stupid he is? Or maybe that one question he wants to ask her: Do you remember me?

He felt his heart jump when the car started moving again and when his foot made a step forward, he couldn't move another as he just watched the car until it was out of his sight. He was torn between following it and staying when a voice snapped him back to reality.

"Yah Mr. Crab. What are you staring at?"

His eyes widened when he saw who it was. "You, what are you doing here? Have you been there since a while ago?!" Jaehwa narrowed her eyes on him, arms crossed above her chest. She mumbled something under her breath and Taehyung groaned, turning around. "What—"

"I have made my presence known since I came. It's your fault that you didn't notice me because you're too busy staring at that car. AND DON'T SHOUT AT ME! Geez, you're quite good looking but you have such a nasty temper." Taehyung's eyebrow twitched and he bit his tongue to not retort back anymore. They held a glaring contest until Taehyung grunted and spun around. 

"I don't have time for this."

"Where are you going?!"

"Mind your own business!" He heard her shouting something back but wasn't able to understand it anymore as he waved a cab and got in.

"Where sir?"

"Incheon Airport."

One and a half years later...

 

"Congrats Joo!"

"Thank you! Congrats to you too."

"Hey, Joo! Congrats! Keep in touch, alright?"

"Of course, I will. Congrats!"

There was endless greetings from her classmates and friends as the program finally came to an end. After four years in university, she had finally finished her degree and graduated. A smile came to her face as she watched her batchmates happily take pictures, some with teary eyes. She stumbled forward when an arm slung on her shoulders.

"Congratulations Bestie!" Minzy greeted. She spun around and they embraced each other. "Thank you!" They part away a few seconds later, smiling at each other. "We've finally done it. It's over!" Minzy shouted, throwing her arms up and Joohyeon chuckled. "Oh, and it looks like someone else is about to greet you as well."

"Huh?" Minzy nodded to someone behind her and she turned around to be met with a bouquet of flowers. She was startled at how near it was that she had to step back. The person holding the flower lowered his hand and a soft smile came to her lips.

He rubbed the back of his neck as he said, "Don't misunderstand. I did this because...uh... Whatever! Just take it." He shoved the bouquet forward, looking away, his face turning red.

"You were never good with your words so I'll take that as you congratulating me," she said, taking the bouquet. 

"Yah! What do you—"

"Thank you. Congratulations to you as well, Jae." She smiled and Jae slowly found himself smiling.

"Awwe. That's so thoughtful of you. But you didn't even gave me one during my graduation, you mean guy!" Minzy said, sniggering at him.

"Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment," Jae said, smirking. Joohyeon laughed. These would be things she would surely miss once they set out with their own lives. 

"Kids! Congratulations!" They spun around at the voice and found Baekhyun skipping over to them with Joonmyeon, Luhan, Kris, and Chanyeol trailing after him. "Aigoo, our little girl has finally graduated! Come and give oppa a hug!" Joohyeon laughed out loud at his childishness but hugged him anyways. "Congratulations, Joohyeon."

"Thank you, Baek oppa," she said as they parted. 

"Congratulations, dongsaeng," Joonmyeon said, smiling as he hugged his sister. "You've done it, Joohyeon-ah. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, oppa. I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you for always being there," she said and Joonmyeon patted her back before they moved away. He smiled, nodding, before moving onto Jae to congratulate him as well.

"Hey, little squid. Congrats," Kris said with his infamous smile as he hugged her for a few seconds.

"Thank you, Fannie oppa!" She said to and surprisingly, Kris just chuckled.

"I'll let it pass since it's your graduation but the next time you call me that, I'll make you treat me to a luxurious meal." 

"Yes, sir!" Joohyeon jokingly saluted and Kris smirked. She turned when someone called her name.

"Joohyeon," Luhan called, and she smiled. "Congratulations. I'm sure your brother had already said this but I'm really proud of you. We all are, with everything that had happened," he said, as he hugged her. Joohyeon hummed in reply. "But I couldn't have gone this far without you, oppa, as well as the rest. You've made me a stronger person. Thank you." Joohyeon moved away and smiled while Luhan sniffed, looking down. "Aigoo, are you crying, Lulu oppa? Jinjja, sangnamja," she teased and Luhan pinch her on the cheeks.

"Really!" He said, making Joohyeon laugh.

"HEY HEY HEY! Last but not the least! Congratulations Joohyeonie!" Chanyeol greeted cheerily. "Come and oppa will give you a bear hug!" Chanyeol said, spreading his arms wide. Joohyeon by pretending to think about and Chanyeol playfully rolled his eyes as he pulled her to a bone crushing hug, her feet lifting of the ground because of his tall height. "Wow. With all those drama, you were still able to graduate. As expected of our princess, huh?" Chanyeol said, a smirk on his lips as he let her go.

Joohyeon shook her head, a small smile on her lips. "Probably not without you oppas," she said and Chanyeol broke into a soft and tender smile. "Probably not without you being strong, Joohyeon-ah."

"Guys! It's picture time!" Baekhyun shouted, making some people turn to their direction because of his different language but being Baekhyun, he couldn't even be bothered by it as he gestured her over. "Kaja. Joohyeon, you stand here," Baekhyun said, pulling her to the middle. She stood in between Minzy who hooked her arm with hers and Jae who stiffly stood beside her. Joonmyeon placed himself in front of her squatting beside Luhan while Kris and Chanyeol stood behind her and Baekhyun pressed the button on the camera before running beside Chanyeol and at the count of three, the camera flashed on them.

//

"CONGRATULATIONS HYUNGS!" Jungkook greeted loudly as their glasses clink with each other for a toast.

They've gathered in a noraebang where they would usually celebrate occasions. It was just a little past seven when the six boys excused themselves from their families and went to see Jungkook who had sponsored the so called party as a way to congratulate them. Since everyone was legal already, they've ordered a few bottles of soju to begin with and snacks to come with it.

They've toasted a couple of times to celebrate the occasion and as well to future plans. They were just being themselves, noisy and being, well, boys, until Hoseok brought up how they couldn't play around so much anymore because of bigger responsibilities.

"Ani, we could always make time if we want to," Jimin said, taking a sip of his alcohol.

"Jimin's right. We'll find a way, some way or another," Seokjin said.

"Uhuh, unless someone's planning to go get another girlfriend," Yoongi said, pointing his glass to a particular ash brown haired boy, who smirked, shaking his head.

"Look at that. He could still smirk!" Namjoon said, snickering. 

"Those were just dates guys. None of them became my girlfriend," he reasoned refilling his glass.

"Aigoo. And you are even proud of that? Yah Kim Taehyung, we don't play girls, remember that," Seokjin said, playfully scolding the boy although he was being serious with what he meant.

Taehyung smirked. "Yes, appa," he teased before tipping his glass to his mouth. 

The topic changed fast and the spotlight was diverted from him.

It's been a year and a half, a whole lot of time for new experiences, new people, and new changes to occur. Many had happened ever since that first day of the month of March, from getting back to school to achieving dreams, getting girlfriends, and then graduating. A lot of things had gone by they've already lost track and it was safe to say that there were also bit of themselves that have changed. 

Like for example their eldest, who seemed too naive, finally got himself a girlfriend after three months of trying to court a girl in the fine arts department. Then there's Jungkook who had finally one more year before he could graduate college. Yoongi has also changed his hair color from its original black color to orange and Namjoon to a platinum blonde. Jimin's body had grown more built from working out and dancing. 

And then there's Taehyung, trying to venture out, trying new things and with it meaning meeting new girls. It could be seen as a hasty decision but to him, it took him a lot of sleepless nights to finally decide to try dating other girls after Joohyeon left again.

In the end, on that day where he rode the cab and told the driver to bring him to Incheon Airport, he found himself telling the driver to change directions and go somewhere else just ten minutes in the road.

He remembered how he hadn't brought any money with him except for the crumpled bills he happened to get in the pockets of his jeams that he used to pay the driver when he dropped him off in front of the familiar gates of Seoul Academy. He even forgot his cellphone in his hurry to leave the house. It was a holiday so there was nobody in school. It was as deserted as it could get on daylight. 

He doesn't know why but he found himself walking around the walls of the school to that area he used to climbed onto whenever he was running late or just simply wanted to cut classes and leave the school grounds by himself or with his friends or with Joohyeon. He walked towards the garden where he would usually go to and walked to the hidden part where he used to spend time with Joohyeon, and where they had buried the box. He doesn't know why he always ends up at that place. Maybe because every time he does, he feels light. They argued and fought there but there are more good memories he had created with her at that place. For him, it's the very physical proof that Joohyeon really came in his life. It's the only thing he held onto while hoping she would come back.

Walking there, he got a little lost since the garden was slightly renovated but having been there many times, he knew where exactly he had kept the 'time capsule' although it took longer than usual to spot it. Bending down, he tried to feel around for the shovel but wasn't able to find it. A growing feeling came within him before he impulsively began digging through the dirt using his hands as he pushed the pots of flowers away. He doesn't know how long he was doing it but it would've been long enough for him to perspire, his clothes muddy and soaked with sweat. He stopped when he knew that it's impossible to find the box again.

He fell onto his on the dirt, resting his arms on his propped up legs, head hung low. He panting so much and his chest hurt. He felt like thrashing around but he couldn't. He wasn't even allowed to be there. He swallowed to stop the tears that was about to spurt from his eyes. He stilled when a voice called him. He wiped his face with the sleeves of his shirt and found that tears still managed to escape despite trying to stop it. He looked around and found a boy that looked a few years younger than him. The boy was looking at him cautiously as he asked, "Who are you? What are you doing here?"

Taehyung was slightly taken aback but he had too many things in mind to even bother about the boy as he pushed himself up and dusted himself off.

"Did you study here?" The boy asked and Taehyung nodded slowly. "Are you looking for something?" He asked making him look at him.

Taehyung looked back to the mess he'd made before turning to the boy. "Kind of. Why?"

"If it's something you've kept a month ago or so, it would be near to impossible to find it. The school just renovated it two weeks ago since there would be officials coming to check on the school." 

Taehyung's fist clenched at it as he said in a soft voice, "Is that so?" The boy just watched him as he nodded. Taehyung let out a breath as he nodded. "I got it." He began putting what he'd displaced back to its place before turning back to the boy. "You, why are you here? Isn't it holiday?" He asked to just avoid the awkwardness. The boy blushed, making Taehyung slightly amused at him. It looked like they've came for the same reason. "Looks like you've kept something here as well, huh? A promise?" He said, a small smirk on his lips and the boy's eyes widened, head shaking to deny.

"NO! It's not that."

Taehyung shrugged, walking forward and stopping just before he could pass the boy. "I don't know why I'm saying this to you but one day could change something forever but whatever change occurs, if it's meant to stay, it'll stay and if not, it won't. I guess what I hid wasn't meant to stay, huh, but I hope yours will." With that, he patted the boy on the shoulder before leaving the place and he never came back again.

That happening years ago made him decide that it's time to really try and move on. He can't be stuck in one place like that box he wasn't able to find. Maybe, it's just time to really let go, he told himself, so he did just that. It might be pathetic but he tried meeting with a girl who confessed to him a month later. It only lasted for another month before he talked politely to the girl and said that he couldn't continue dating. That earned him a slap on his face and it hurt but it didn't even bother him. After that, he met more girls and like the first, it would end after a short span of time. The longest must be three months before he couldn't go on and just simply stop. He was just lucky that the last girl he dated agreed with him when he said that they should end whatever before they graduated so now, he was as free as a single guy. 

He couldn't blame his friends from reprimanding him about it and he doesn't even know why he still kept on doing it even if every single time he tries to date a girl, it fails. And now that they're stepping onto another stage of their lives, he wondered what changes are about to come their way again—to his life.

Six months later...

 

She looked around the throng of people standing at the waiting area of the arrival section as she pushed her things on a trolley in front of her. A hand waved to her from the distance and a smile lit up her face as she waved back. She quickened her pace until she was face to face with the person and hugged him tightly around his neck.

"I missed you, Minseok oppa!"

Minseok laughed as he hugged her back. "I know you did," he said, smirking and Joohyeon playfully smack him on the back before they parted. "Of course I missed you too. Who wouldn't miss your talkativeness, huh?" He said and Joohyeon chuckled, shaking her head. "C'mon. Your parents are waiting for you in the office." She nodded and Minseok took her things from her and together they left in his car.

It took them two hours before they got to the main office of their company. A clerk opened their doors and Minseok handed his keys to the valet boy to park his car before they walked inside. They went to the topmost floor where the president's office is and her father's secretary welcomed them. The secretary called in to say that they've arrived before she was permitted inside.

"Are you sure you don't want to come in with me?" Joohyeon asked, looking over at Minseok who sat cross-legged on the couch opposite the secretary's desk. 

"Nah. I'll just wait for you here. Take your time," Minseok smiled and Joohyeon smiled back nodding.

As soon as she entered the office, she found her father closing a folder before looking up at her, a subtle smile on his lips. She smiled back before walking towards the desk of her father. Her father gestured for her to sit down so she did. She had expected much as her father weren't as affectionate as her mother and she came there purely for business as well.

"How are you?" Her father asked as he leaned back on his chair. 

"I'm doing great. How about you appa? I heard there has been a problem in one of the departments. Is it okay now?" She asked and her father pursed his lips as he nodded apprehensively.

"Not quite but due to the issue that has occurred, the board has agreed to dismiss the head of the department so now it is vacant and being temporarily managed by Mr. Yook," her father paused and met her eyes and she knew what was coming next. "I know it is too early to talk about this as you have just arrived but your brother and I had talked about this and agreed to put you in position. I know you want to do things and climb up the ladder yourself but this is a great opportunity for you, and as I've always told you, once a chance comes your way, you accept it, and from there, do your best to earn it. You get what I mean, right, Joohyeon-ah?" 

Joohyeon can't help but fidget with her fingers, thinking about her father's words. Joonmyeon hadn't mentioned anything about heading a department to her before so it came a surprise when her father assigned such a job for her immediately. It is true that she'd already got an internship when she was in America. She had also helped in managing their business there with Joonmyeon but now, with the new position of director, she wasn't sure she could manage it herself. She wet her lips before she looked up at her father who was waiting for her answer. She remembered the words one person had told her, encouragement she had always used whenever she felt like cowering away and giving up.

Finally gathering up her thoughts, she looked at her father and gave him a decisive nod. "I'll do it. I'll do my best." Her father smiled proudly at her while nodding. "That's good to hear."

She bit her bottom lip, "But appa," she said, looking up and her father arched his eyebrows, "can you give me one week before I start? I just...I have some things I want to settle. I promise to start after that."

Her father pursed his lips as he took a deep breath. She found herself doing the same as she waited for her father's permission. "Alright. I guess Mr. Yook could handle it for another week," her father said and her smile stretched from ear to ear.

"Thank you appa," she said.

"But I'll keep your word. You have to show your best, or else, you know what'll happen," her father jokingly said, yet she knew better than to take it lightly. She nodded. "I will."

"Good," her father then looked at his wrist watch and she knew without even hearing what was to come that her father wouldn't be able to join her for lunch, like most days. 

She understood how her father's line of field requires too much time off of him. Having many meetings to business trips, he barely had time for himself, what more for her? She knows it but sometimes, she hoped her father would give a little more time, if not for her, at least for himself. He was getting older and older and she's afraid he was neglecting his own health. She gave off her practiced smile that it had already looked too real, to cover up the worry in her.

"Ahh... It's lunch time and I would've loved to join you, dear, but I have a lunch meeting..."

"It's okay, appa. I understand. Besides, Minseok oppa is waiting for me outside. I won't be alone so don't worry. We could eat with each other some other time, probably with omma and Joonmyeon oppa," she said, before standing up.

Her father smiled and nodded. "Okay. You should go see your mother later for dinner. She's just busy with some of our foundations but she said she'll join you for later," he said.

"Neh, I got it. I'll take me leave now," she said, smiling one last time before turning on her heels and walking to the door. She was already pulled the door open when she heard her father's voice, saying, "Oh, and Joohyeon, welcome home." She smiled, a genuine one at that, as she turned to face her father. "Thank you." With that, she walked out the door.

Minseok looked around as soon as he heard the soft click of the door, his phone to his ear. Joohyeon raised her eyebrows, and Minseok gestured her over. 

"It's Yixing. He was asking if you want to eat lunch together. He's surprisingly free. He said Chanyeol's coming too and he's still waiting for a reply from Kris," he said as he inched the phone from his ears. Automatically, a smile came upon her lips as she nodded. 

Maybe that's why God had given her eleven additional oppas, aside from her own brother. To somehow fill up the time her parents can't be available for her. Although parents weigh more, she had long accepted the fact that they can't always be there for her, and so she couldn't ask for more and couldn't be more thankful to have people who she could call as family. 

"Tell him we'll be there in twenty, no, make that ten minutes!"

Oh, how she couldn't wait to see them.

//

She had already planned the one week her father had granted her.

On the first day, she had decided to stay in and fix her things in her room as she wasn't too keen about the maids doing it for her. Since her brother hasn't fly back in the country, she was alone at home with the maids, giving her enough time to rummage through her old things. She was happy when she opened her room for the first time after a long time to find her old things in boxes pushed to the wall to her right, as she had requested from her brother.

It wasn't too hard to get the approval of her brother about it, especially after she told him how she had recovered most of her memories and was in the process of remembering all. Surprise was an understatement to describe her brother's reaction then although there was disappointment to know that she had kept it long from him, arguing that Jongin even knew first and how he should've just ditched the business matter on that day to come with her. She apologized and Joonmyeon pretended to be mad but couldn't for long because first, he was bad at it, and second because he was too happy to suppress it from showing. In the end, they went out to her favorite restaurant for dinner, her brother calling it a celebratory gift.  

She quickly sent a quick text to thank him before looking through her things. She felt memories rushing back to her as she looked at one item, one thing, to another. She was smiling and laughing to herself that she looked pathetic but she could care less as she was alone, like her brother that time, she was just too happy. She finished just when the sun set down the horizon and after eating dinner, she was too tired to do anything and fell right onto her bed. 

She woke up with a start the next morning. She went through her normal morning routine of taking a bath and getting ready to go out. It was already nine in the morning when she finished and walked down the stairs to the front door. A maid who had seen her offered her breakfast but she declined and said she won't be back until later that afternoon. With that, she went out their house where a brand new BMW M6 Coupé stood. Her eyebrows knitted in confusion when a very familiar voice sounded as someone stood beside her.

"How'd you like it?" She turned to her side and her eyes widened to see Joonmyeon standing there in his sweats, hair slightly wet and hands shoved in his trousers pockets. He looked down on her and smiled, "Good morning sis."

"OPPA! You're back!"

"Uhuh, got a few days of break," Joonmyeon said, nodding once. "So what do you think of the car? I got the imperial blue color since it looks like it suits your taste, yes?" She was too speechless and was too overwhelmed that she just threw her arms around her brother and hugged him.

"I like it! No! I LOVE IT! Thank you oppa!" 

Joonmyeon smiled, patting her on the back. "I hadn't given you yet your graduation gift, remember? Also, I think you deserve it," he paused pursing his lips, "Actually, you deserve it. No doubt about that. I know I'm just your brother but I'm really proud of you, Joohyeon. You've gone through a lot and reached so far. There's nothing I could ask for." Joohyeon was on the verge of crying as she sniffed and pulled back, dabbing at the corner of her eyes. Joonmyeon chuckled, ruffling her hair. 

"You give me more credit than I deserved though, you know that. You spoil me too much, but I ain't complaining," she grinned and Joonmyeon's lips turned up at a corner as he shook his head.

"Here. Looks like you're heading somewhere. You should use it but make sure to be careful, okay? I bought it because you always take rides with Jae or Minzy or with the guys and because you always seem to dream about it and 'cause I think those driving lessons you took from Jae should be put to use," Joonmyeon said, swinging the keys in front of her. 

"Am not," she said sticking her tongue out while taking the keys from her brother before smiling. "But really, thanks a lot, oppa."

"You've said thanks more than enough. Aren't you late to wherever you're going?" He said and Joohyeon looked at her wrist watch before shaking her head. 

"I think I have time for a test drive. What do you think about being my first passenger, Mr. Kim Joonmyeon?" She said playfully and Joonmyeon can't help but chuckle.

"If you insist," he said and Joohyeon grinned.

"Let's go!"

//

Jungkook had just finished with his third class for the day and he was already too tired for another class. His mind was too filled with business stuffs that it was too dizzying. Wanting to relax for a little before his next class, he decided to go out the campus and at a cafe just near his university. Walking there, he had passed by a few acquaintances and exchanged greetings. Within ten minutes, he had reached the confines of the cozy cafe and went straight to the counter. There weren't anybody in cue so he was able to order immediately.

He was looking up at the menu board, wondering what to order when a voice interrupted his thoughts. 

"I'd like a strawberry cream frappe, and...blueberry waffles." The voice sounded so familiar and he turned his head to the side to confirm his suspicions. His eyes widened when the girl, who already looked like a full grown lady yet still young in many ways, he hadn't seen in two years standing beside him, wearing a bright smile. He blinked, wondering if it was reality when Joohyeon turned to him, raising her eyebrows. "Aren't you going to order anything, Kook-ah?"

"H-Huh?" Joohyeon nodded to the guy on the counter who was confusedly watching them. He turned in front and snapped back to reality. "O-Oh, yeah. I'll get a green tea." The guy immediately punched in their orders before saying the total price. Jungkook immediately got his money out but Joohyeon beat him to it, handing the guy the money immediately, making Jungkook whine, "I should pay 'cause I'm the guy!"

Joohyeon playfully snickered, "You hadn't changed, huh, Jungkook? Still that whiny boy." Jungkook frowned and Joohyeon chuckled. "I'm just teasing you. This is not for free. You should treat me next time and I won't settle in for a coffee drink but a full meal, okay?" She smiled and Jungkook found himself smirking. "You, too, hadn't changed noona but I see that culture has rubbed on you." 

After receiving the change, they've settled on a booth third table to the window. Even as they sat, neither said a word except stare at each other, as if not believing that they're for real. Jungkook was the one who couldn't get over it the most, reaching out to pinch her on the cheeks to make sure Joohyeon was really sitting before him. When Joohyeon gasped at his touch, his eyes widened in amusement, pulling on her cheeks more.

"Wow, you're real," he said, pinching her cheeks to annoy her.

"Yah, let go. It's already hurting!" She said, swatting his hand away. Jungkook laughed at her reddened cheeks and Joohyeon can't help but smirk. She couldn't get mad at him. "Shouldn't you be pinching yourself to check if it's real and not the other way around?" 

Jungkook grinned, shrugging. "I like different."

"Right."

Their order came right then, halting their conversation. Once the waiter left, Jungkook said, "Yah, how can you just turn up like this? I thought I told you to tell me when you're coming back? You've breached our agreement," he said, shaking his head.

"Isn't it fun this way? Plus, you look like you've been busy with a lot of things lately, no?" She said, sipping on her drink.

"Well, kinda but you know it wouldn't matter as long as you've given me a heads up," he said.

"Fine. I'm sorry, okay? But at least I've come to see you right? If it's going to make you feel any better, I haven't seen Haejin yet or anybody for that matter. I've met with my oppas but that's all." Jungkook looked away and pretended to shrug it off but the small smile he couldn't suppress showed his satisfaction either way.

They've began catching up when Jungkook's phone beeped to a text message. Joohyeon didn't bother to ask for she didn't want to intrude in his own matters. It was fifteen minutes later when Jungkook's attention moved from her to something behind her, making her look back. Her eyes widened in surprise as well as the two new comers who rushed to their table.

"Oh my god. Is it really you, Joohyeon?" Hoseok said, slipping to the seat next to Joohyeon.

"Waaa, daebak, I thought Jungkook was just fooling around," Jimin said eyes wide.

Joohyeon looked over at Jungkook who gave her an innocent smile. "It's fun this way, right?" He mimicked her and Joohyeon was out of words. She was too taken aback that she wasn't able to respond to the two boys immediately.

"Hoseok, Jimin-ah, long time no see?" She said, not knowing what else to say.

"How can you not tell us you're coming back?" Hoseok feigned anger.

"I told her the same," Jungkook nodded, sipping on his drink in that satisfactory way, as if he've won against Joohyeon.

Joohyeon snickered in return before facing Jimin and Hoseok, apologetically smiling. "Anyhow...how are you guys doing?"

//

Ever since the surprise meeting, time seemed to pass by fast. It hadn't even been a few hours since their meeting when she received a call from Seokjin and then a message from Yoongi. Namjoon called her a little past dinner time. She met up with Haejin the next day to compensate for not telling her how she had arrived. They decided to go meet at the mall and do some 'girl bonding'. 

It was already lunch time when they met at a fast food chain within the mall, like how they used to do. Joohyeon arrived a little early so she went to get them a table. Haejin came not too long after and after pleasantries, they went to order. 

"How can you meet those kids before me?" Haejin feigned hurt and Joohyeon pressed her lips to a small smile as they placed their food on the table and settled down.

"Forgive me, oh?"

Haejin pursed her lips before sighing, "Fine. How can I say no when I haven't heard from you for like, years?"

Joohyeon grinned. "How are you doing, anyway? Working?"

"Uhuh. I need to or else my crazy twin brother would kill me," she said, face contorting to show her annoyance. 

"I'm sure he wouldn't except that he'll nag you until you do it right," Joohyeon chuckled and Haejin joined her.

"Looks like it."

They've talked about how they're doing with their jobs, Haejin mostly ranting about her bosses while Joohyeon with her work loads. They've talked about almost anything and everything except anything that could bring that one particular person up but it seemed like it was unavoidable as almost everything included him. It wasn't that she was avoiding it. It's more like she was stopping herself for certain reasons that the more she hears from him, the more she'll get curious and she couldn't have that happening, not now. She was already curious enough and her curiosity sometimes gets her in trouble so she'd rather prevent it.

There was silence for a while as Haejin carefully thought of what to say, and Joohyeon didn't fail to notice it and felt bad. It was obvious that she was having a hard time and those were times she felt that she was being to selfish and would rather have herself in trouble than burden them. Clearing , she was able to get Haejin's attention.

"Do have something to say? You seem like...you're stopping yourself. If it's about him...don't worry. I'll be alright," she said, pressing her lips to a small smile.

"No, of course not!" She said, shaking her head, smiling awkwardly.

"Haejin..."

Haejin bit her bottom lip and sighed. "Fine. Don't blame me after this, alright?"

Joohyeon shook her head in affirmation. "Never."

"Okay... I don't know if the boys have already told you but there's going to be a reunion this weekend. Our student council president back then organized it with a couple of our batchmates. I think it's going to be held at a bar somewhere in Gangnam and I'm wondering if you are..." Haejin her lips before biting down on it, eyebrows raised. "Of course I'm not forcing you or anything. I heard all the boys are coming meaning he'll also be there so...Ahhh... Just forget about it! It's not mandatory anyway so—"

"Haejin, you're rambling again," Joohyeon said in a teasing manner, easing the mood a little and Haejin grinned awkwardly.

"Sorry," she said biting down on her lips. Joohyeon gave out a lopsided smile as she looked down on her food, Haejin's words stuck in her mind.

It was true. The boys hadn't mentioned about it...at least not directly but if she was correct, they had been dropping hints on it in their meeting the day before. Like Haejin, they were careful with their words but not as much as her girl best friend. It was obvious why as Taehyung is their best friend so she knew not to take it the wrong way. They were just looking after their friend...aren't they?

Now, that wasn't really the problem. The problem lies on whether or not she was coming or she was going to be a coward and keep on running and hiding away from him. She knew better than to deceive herself that there wouldn't be a chance to 'coincidentally' meet, especially when they leave in the same neighborhood and they share too many friends to pretend they don't know each other. She was snapped out of her thoughts when Haejin called her, making her look up at her. Haejin gave her a worried glance and she tried to assure her with a smile.

"I'm okay."

"I know you're not but I'm going to pretend I believe in your words because this is our first meeting after years and I wasn't about to spoil it because of some boys. Remember, friendship over boys?" She said, smiling genuinely and Joohyeon returned the same, nodding. "Now, if you're done staring at your food, should we go and start our lovely day for real?" Haejin said teasingly while giving her a smirk and all she could do was laugh at her friend's word.

For the next hour, they've been going in store after store before they've agreed to ditch the mall for the crowded area of Myeongdong. Since Joohyeon took her car, she offered Haejin a ride in it rather than taking the usual bus ride. She also didn't want to go back where she left it later on. Haejin didn't think twice to get on her car, telling her how nice it was. In thirty minutes, they've arrived in famous place and like how they used to do, they went to look into shops and stalls while eating some street foods.

It was already four in the afternoon before they know it and with their feet already too sore, they've decided to drive to the Han Gang Park and wait for the rainbow fountain to start while snacking on junk foods. They were comfortably sitting on the grassy field in silence, basking under the afternoon sun but of course, not matter how much she tried not to, thoughts about him and the reunion would find their way to her mind.

"Joohyeon." She was thankful when Haejin distracted her from her thoughts but it didn't last too long when she heard her next words. "Have you met some guys back there? You know, those blond guys in those movies we watch?" She asked in a light manner.

She found herself smirking as she stretched her legs in front of her. "Well, I've met a lot of them but if you meant to ask if I dated any of them," she shook her head with a lopsided smile before looking at her, "I don't think they're in my league." It was meant to sound like a joke but it backfired at her almost immediately when Haejin raised an eyebrow at her.

"I hope you don't take this wrong but it's funny hearing it from you because as far as I could remember..."

"Fine, fine. I take it back, but seriously, I didn't date any of them. I was too busy for it."

"You were too busy with what?" Haejin gave her a mischievous smile and she playfully rolled her eyes.

"Work." With her response, Haejin contorted her face in dissatisfaction.

"You're not going to turn out like your workaholic brother, right? No offense, friend."

"None taken." She shook her head before looking far ahead of her, seeing the sun about to set. "I don't know, really," she sighed. "I can't really run away from my responsibilities, right?" She glanced over at Haejin who scoffed.

"Even if you're my best-est friend, sometimes I just hate how diligent you are, you know?"

Joohyeon's lips turned up at a corner, "Is that so?"

"Uhuh. And since I'd like to think I am your best-est friend also—"

Joohyeon laughed and Haejin stuck her tongue out before continuing.

"—let me give you a small advice." Haejin's voice turned from that with tease to seriousness while looking at her, "You might be a daughter from a chaebol family with big responsibilities and I know you are just being a good daughter to your parents but remember, you shouldn't forget that in the end of the day, your life doesn't revolve around it. There are other things, probably more important things, those you should also give time on. I hate sounding naggy but you understand, right, Hyeonie-ah?"

Sometimes, her best friend just surprises her with her words, as she was more on the carefree side, far different from her worrywart and anxious self. Even though she sounds like she was reprimanding her and nagging her, she still appreciates it because she knows how her friend truly cares for her, so she isn't complaining with her sounding naggy. Besides, she felt she needed it— someone to point those things out for her.

Having a pressed smile, she faced her. "Can you tell me about those other things? More important things, you are saying?"

Haejin looked at her apprehensively and she raised her eyebrows in return. "Are you asking because you don't know or because you want confirmation?"

Joohyeon gave her an amused smile. "You know me so well, huh?"

Haejin snorted, "Of course! I might have missed a couple years of your life but I've been stuck with you longer to know you."

Joohyeon chuckled. "I guess you're right."

"For the sake of your doubtfulness and indecisiveness, the important things I'm talking about are things out of your work. Hobbies, parties, friends...love," Haejin said, a little softer when she said the last word. She was met with silence as Joohyeon just nodded her words, staring far off the river. Haejin sighed before looking at the same direction, pondering over things.

She wasn't sure if she was in position but seeing her friend right now, she couldn't bare keeping something from her, especially when it was obvious that she was still thinking of him. She knows her brother wouldn't take this nicely but she'd rather face Seokjin's wrath than see her best friend clueless and hurt in the end although she knew that either way, she'll be hurt, it’s better she knew than witnessing it firsthand. She doesn't know what could happen when Joohyeon suddenly agrees to come to the reunion, and she couldn't risk it. 

After much thinking, she took a deep breath and faced her, making Joohyeon look her way as well. She her dry lips nervously, eyes darting everywhere and Joohyeon looked worriedly at her. "Joohyeon, I know what I'm going to say will get me in trouble but I just have to tell you."

With that, Joohyeon's brows knitted and there was a growing feeling in her stomach, her heart beating fast. For some reason, she felt as if it was something about him. 

"Is it about him?" She asked, and Haejin gave her a sorry look.

"I won't say anything if you tell me no—"

Joohyeon cut her off as she shook her head. "It's okay. What is it?"

Haejin bit down on her lips as she closed her eyes. "About Taehyung, he..."

It was the night of the reunion.

Dressed in a dark red patterned sleeveless dress that reached a few inches above her knees, she put on a light make-up, highlighting her eyes with a tint of black and silver, her lips in a natural color and glossing it over. She wore her hair down in its natural waves because she was too lazy to do anything with it than comb through it and iron it a little.

It was a decision she knew she hasn't thought over enough but was too late to take back. She had acted in impulse when Haejin called her two night ago asking whether she was going or not and for some reason, she found herself blurting a yes and because of the happy squeal from her best friend, she can't afford to take it back.

But now, as she looked herself over one last time in front of her full-length mirror, she felt her heart heavy and nervous. She had already considered calling Haejin to tell her some excuses but she found it to lame and cowardly that she couldn't do it. She also can't get what Haejin said that night out of her mind, and she can't help but get curious and the undeniable worry in her prompted her in her dtrastic decision to come.

"About Taehyung, he...he needs you. More than what you think."

She knew that it wasn't completely what Haejin wanted to say, that there was something more than what she was letting on but chose to phrase it in another way. For what reason, she doesn't know. And maybe, just maybe, when she attends and sees him, maybe she'll know. Although the problem still stands that she doesn't know how she would be facing him, and how she knew so well that her curiosity might backlash on her. But like the truth, it was already too late for it. 

A ring from her phone cut through her thoughts and she picked her phone up to see a message from Haejin.

"I'm already on my way to the venue with Seokjin and his girlfriend. I actually should've taken up your offer of dressing and leaving together 'cause I feel like a third wheel now. Heol. Anyway, lesson learned! I can't wait to see you later! ^^"

She felt herself sighing, a smile drawing on her lips. At least Haejin was there, she said to herself while typing a reply to the said girl before grabbing her clutch and slipping her phone in it. Looking at the time, a soft gasp escaped her lips.

"I'm going to be late!"

Hurrying, she slipped into her black heels, which she still hates wearing, and walked out the door. It was already quarter to seven in the evening and the party starts at eight. The ride to the venue would take around an hour if she was lucky and probably another half an hour when not. Struggling to walk straight to the front door, Joonmyeon emerged in his full business attire through the door, startling both of them. Joonmyeon looked her over, surprised at her rather dressed up self before looking at her eyes.

"You've dressed up pretty nicely without any help. What's the occasion?" Joonmyeon said in a teasing manner and Joohyeon groaned.

"I'll take that as a compliment. I'm going to a reunion."

The shock was evident on her brother's face as his smile faltered. "Reunion? What reunion?" 

Joohyeon gave him an apologetic smile as she had forgotten to tell him about it. "High school reunion but don't worry! Haejin's with me," she tried to reassure.

Joonmyeon gave her a doubtful look before his facial expressions finally relaxed and he nodded. "Okay. Just take care of your own and if you're planning to drink which I'm sure you will, don't even try to drive. Call me so I could pick you up, alright?" Joonmyeon said and Joohyeon smiled, nodding. She looked at her wrist watch before giving her brother a quick hug.

"I need to go. I'll see you later, oppa." She smiled once more before walking past him and to her car. Joonmyeon watched her go, the worry of making her go alone nagging at him. "Should I drive you there?!" He shouted after her but Joohyeon just waved her hand before walking in her car and in less than a minute, she was already out the gate. "I hope I won't regret this," he said to himself before closing the door and walking up to his room.

//

It was a few minutes past eight when she reached the venue. She parked her car at a free space in the parking lot and turned her engines off. Even after the car created no sounds and she was already running late, she found herself sitting still on her seat, a hand clutching the stirring wheel and another on her clutch. She let her bag go and leaned her forehead on the stirring wheel. 

You know that feeling wherein you don't feel it coming true unless it was there before you, happening? That's exactly what she was feeling. During the drive, she tried calming her nerves and was somehow successful but as soon as she saw the building where the venue is, she felt butterflies back in her stomach. It was not just because he might be seeing him, but of the looks she knew she would receive when she gets there because as the boys and Haejin said, their schoolmates really thought she was died. What was there reaction would be when they see her, well and alive? Will they be happy to see her? Probably not. She wasn't really close with a lot of people before and many girls really hated her because of her closeness with the Bangtan boys. Shocked? Probably. It had been years and all those time they thought she was dead. What was she expecting?

She sighed. She was again considering leaving and ditching it but again, she convinced herself that she can't be a coward and kept on running away. She's already an adult, she can't continue hiding forever. With this, she could also clear up the confusion and show them that she was still breathing the same air as them. And...she can finally see what Haejin was talking about.

Taking a deep breath, she finally grabbed her clutch and stepped out her door. She locked her car before staring up the building before her. The building was mostly made of glass windows so she could almost see through it. According to Haejin, it was a popular bar in Gangnam and the whole building was comprised of bars. Nodding to herself, she walked towards the entrance. She took the elevator to the last floor where the event is to be held and a guy in suit welcomed her. She could already hear the loud music coming inside the bar and she flinched. She really wasn't a fan of bars and she rarely went to one even in America. Before she didn't understand why she used to fear it, the reason why Minzy, who's quite a party person, never forced her, but when she regained her memories back, that's when she realized the reason. Clearing up her mind, she smiled at the receptionist. They asked some specifics before letting her in. 

Looking at it, they've really planned it through. They even rented the whole floor of the building and a party music was currently playing. There were lots of people who came as it looked jam packed. Nobody seemed to notice her as everyone was either busy dancing or chatting and drinking. She found herself holding her clutch tightly as she looked around, wondering where Haejin was. She was still rotted at the same spot, to the right of the entrance when she heard her name being called and as if it was intentional, the song transitioned to a more toned down music and the people nearest to them turned to her direction.

She swallowed, uncomfortable with the attention on her and like she had expected they all looked shocked. 

"Hey, Kim Joohyeon." She turned around at the voice and the person whose face she couldn't forget stood before her with his charismatic smile. "Long time no see, Joohyeon-ah."

"Jung Daehyun," she said in pleasant surprise as she didn't expect to see him that fast with all the people present.

"I'm glad you still remember me," he said, smiling widely. He was staring at her way too much as she cast down her eyes in insecurity. She heard Daehyun clear his throat, making her look at him. "I'm sorry. I just...I can't believe you're here. You look great... You still look like the girl I—" He paused and Joohyeon awkwardly looked away. He let out an awkward laugh, "I mean, you look really gorgeous tonight."

"That was too much but thank you. You look handsome yourself," she said, smiling and Daehyun was able to return a comfortable smile. She could still sense the stares as she awkwardly stood there. He probably noticed because he looked to his right and gave them a look, making them return back to their business. 

"Thanks," she said and Daehyun shook his head, the same smile on his lips. "C'mon. I'm sure you're looking for Haejin." She gave him a smile and Daehyun, like the gentleman he was ever since, stood at a comfortable distance beside her as he led her away. She knew he was keeping her comfortable like he always did. As they walked by a waiter holding a tray of champagne, he went to grab two and handed her one. "You don't mind, right?" He asked and Joohyeon shook her head, a small smile on her lips. 

"It's alright. I could handle it better than beer," she said in a joking manner and Daehyun gave her an amused smile.

"Joohyeon!" They both looked up at the voice and saw Haejin walking towards them in her night blue cocktail dress that hugged her body just right. She looked really beautiful in her attire. She wore a bright smile on her face. "I've been waiting for you!"

She smiled apologetically. "I'm sorry. I ran into some heavy traffic on the way."

"That's alright. It's not like you're the only one late. Oh, hi again Daehyun. Looks like you’ve found Joohyeon." Daehyun nodded his head in acknowledgement at her and she faced Joohyeon again. "He’d been looking for you since earlier,” she said, a teasing smile on her lips and Joohyeon playfully nudged her to stop her. Daehyun just smirked, shrugging, not denying it. Haejin chuckled. “C'mon. The guys are waiting for you," Haejin said with a bright smile while grabbing her wrist and she felt herself stiffen. The former noticed it and gave her an assuring smile. "He's not yet here." Daehyun heard it as he still stood there with them and he turned a curious glance at Haejin before worriedly glancing over at Joohyeon. It might have been all in the past but even if that was the case, they were still close friends and he still cares for her and more given that her doctor was actually his father. He watched her as her expression slightly softened and he took it as cue to leave.

"I'm going to take my leave then. I'll see you later, Joohyeon. We've got some catching up to do," Daehyun said, smiling before tucking his hand in his pants’ pocket and walking away. She smiled at him before she felt a tug on her wrist and she looked at Haejin who nodded her head to the direction where the boys were.

"I'm here. You don't have to worry," she said and Joohyeon nodded, smiling lopsidedly. 

She pulled her to a corner of a bar to a booth and even from afar she could see the boys sharing a drink and like it was a natural action from her, her eyes began looking for that particular face and she felt herself sigh when he wasn't there. What that sigh for, she wasn’t really sure.

She fixed on a smile, happy to see them again. Not noticing their presence yet, still busy with laughing about something one of the boys said, she cleared , a smirk on her lips as she said, "Can I join in the conversation?" She doesn't know where the confidence came from but probably because a certain boy hasn't turned up yet.

The boys who wore a semi-formal attire and a pretty lady dressed in a cute beige dress who she assumed was Seokjin's girlfriend, looked up at her and there was gasps heard. 

Different variations of "Joohyeon! You're here!" were heard from the boys and she smiled at them. "Hi," she said. They took a sit not long after and after greetings were exchanged, Seokjin introduced his girlfriend to her and for first impressions, she thought she was nice. 

They've talked about so many things as if it was their first time meeting since she arrived. Maybe it was due to the fact that the boys never ran out of stories or something to do but nevertheless, it was fun just being with them.

She wasn't sure how many minutes passed and how many people had approached their table to say hi and obviously see her as they all asked her the same question of what really happened and she tried to keep it short by saying that something unexpected happened and she had to leave the country. She was lucky they got the clue that she didn't want to elaborate more and left her alone. She had also danced with some of the boys although she tried to refuse. She just couldn't get away from them. In exchange, she told them she could only dance during slow songs since she was used to it during the many business parties she had attended, and the boys agreed. 

She had just finished dancing with Jungkook who was able to attend because of the 'plus one' for every person like her since she wasn’t really recorded in the graduating class of their batch, for obvious reasons, and was laughing about something the boy had said when they passed by a group of men and ladies and heard their conversation. It made her stop in her steps and her laughter to falter and Jungkook to look at her with wide eyes, seeming to have heard it as well.

"Yeah. I've heard too. I think Taehyung just arrived and there's this girl with him—"

"Joohyeon-ssi!" One of the girls, Chaeyoung, exclaimed, cutting Jaemin, the guy, mid-sentence. They all looked surprised and she looked at them, forcing on a smile. 

"Oh, Chaeyoung-ssi. It's nice to see you here," she said, trying to sound as natural as she can. She felt a hand take her arm and Jungkook leaned over her ear, saying, "Don't listen to them. Let's go."

She was still trying to process what she heard and was just stirred away by Jungkook when the person they were just talking about came to her view and like Jaemin said, a lady held onto his arm, as they walked and greeted people who they met.

She doesn't know what to think that moment except, "Looks like he's doing fine." Jungkook's eyebrows furrowed and he turned his head to the direction of where she was looking and his eyes widened more if that was possible. She felt another tug on her wrist, now harder. 

"Let's go," she heard him say again and with his strength, she wasn't able to resist before Jungkook pulled her away. She thought they were returning to their table but she should've guessed Jungkook wouldn't do that because the next thing she knew, she was already waiting for the elevator, with Jungkook still holding onto her wrist although his grip has loosened.

"Why do I always end up in this position..." He heard him mumble and she looked down, biting down her lip.

"Sorry."

"It's not like that," he groaned, "Nevermind." He pulled her with him as the elevators finally opened. The door closed, living them alone in silence. Jungkook glanced at her from time to time, grunting and cursing to no one until the doors slid open and they walked out. When they were out the building and at the parking lot, Jungkook finally let her go, both of them stopping. 

Joohyeon stood there, blankly staring at the asphalt ground. She was still too shocked with what she saw and heard that the same scene kept on playing in her mind. It was minutes, or so she thought, when she heard Jungkook grunt and turn around.

"Look. Whatever you heard and saw, don't mind it. Hyung—"

"I think Haejin is wrong," she said, cutting Jungkook's sentence. She raised her head up as a small forced smile came on her lips. "I think he's living just fine. That's a relief." 

Jungkook just stared at her, his face scrunched in a way to show his emotions although one thing could be seen for sure, he was angry. "Did you drive your car here?" Although she couldn't understand why he was asking, she nodded anyway. He stretched his hand out, palm turned up. "Keys. I'll drive you home."

He was acting like he was older than her and she should scold him but she didn't and wouldn't because during these kind of situations, Jungkook always seemed to know better making her feel ashamed of herself. Why was she even acting as such when she was supposed to be happy? He was living fine anyway, what's there to be sad about?

"Noona," she looked up at Jungkook who quirked an eyebrow up, "your keys."

She took a deep breath, showed him the most convincing smile she could force out in her and shook her head. Jungkook stared at her, a sigh leaving his lips as he placed his hand down and shoved it to his pocket. She took another deep breath, pushing all tears that unconsciously made way to her eyes before patting Jungkook on the arm.

"You're really a grown up now, Kook-ah. You even look out for me," she said, a soft chuckle leaving her lips. 

Jungkook could only stare at her, worried at how she was pretending to be alright. He’d been with her long and been friends with her for more than half of his life so it was already easy to read her expressions. And so he knew that Joohyeon didn't like making people around her burdened, especially with personal matters. She was that type of person, and he can't ignore the effort she was giving right now so he forced on a playful smirk.

"Of course! When was I not?" He saw a more genuine smile on her lips and he smiled back. 

"Let's go back. I'm sure Haejin—" She was cut off when a phone rang. They both ignored it. "—and the boys are looking for us." The phone just kept on ringing but neither of them moved to know whose phone it was.

Jungkook can't help but sigh. "I don't think that's a very bright decision. How about we just have our own reunion by ourselves? I mean, I'm sure our schoolmates have seen you enough and know you are well and alive—"

"Jungkook," she said, forcing yet a small smile, "I'm fine. I admit, I was surprised but it was nothing. I’m perfectly alright.” She lifted both of her arms and dropped it back to her side, just to show him she could still move and thus fine.

He grunted. "Oh heck you are." Joohyeon looked away and Jungkook heaved another sigh. He shook his head, "Like you said, I'm a grown up now so please listen to me just this once, okay? Don't worry about them. For now, let's go." Joohyeon stared at him and the more she did, the more she could see that Jungkook wouldn't really accept a ‘no’ and truthfully, her body was also about to give away, probably from all the alcohol she had drank and from the fatigue, or with everything that happened that night.

"Okay." She gave up.

The smile that came upon Jungkook's lips was so bright that she can't help but smile back. He asked her the direction to her car and she handed him the keys when they arrived. Jungkook opened the door for her and she muttered a ‘thanks’ before going in. Jungkook followed in and started the car almost immediately. "How about your car?" She asked and Jungkook shrugged. 

"I'll get it picked up." He started backing out from the parking area and was soon on the road. She looked up at the building, on the windows of the floor where the party is still currently being held wondering if their friends already noticed they were missing. "So," she looked back at Jungkook who glanced at her, "shall we go straight home or you want some ice cream? I think it'll be the best treat right now." He grinned.

"That sounds good. Take in charge, Mr. Jeon," she said, putting a thumb up, lips pressed to a smile.

Jungkook smirked. "Ice cream, here we come!"

She got home past midnight that night and Joonmyeon luckily didn't question her when he saw her coming and he never did even during breakfast the next day. Instead, he said, "I'll always be here if you need anyone to talk to," and she can't be more than thankful.


A/N:

This is the first installment for the final chapte.r I had to no choice but to split it in half because it was already too long. The last chapter would be this long as well or probably longer. I'm sorry for making you guys wait this long but please bare with me for a little more. I'm still on the process of writing the second part so I hope you could wait for it.

I've already editted this but I know I still missed some errors here and there so I hope you forgive me. Anyhow, please wait patiently for the next chapter! I'll post it up as soon as I can! Since I've been making you guys wait for so long, I'll leave a preview for the next chapter. 

PREVIEW

“Then, do you want me to give you a tour?”

“I…”

“I’m not forcing you though. I mean, I was just thinking that maybe you would want since we’re already here and I don’t think the person I am supposed to meet is coming. But it’s fine if you don’t want. I could just use up my time for some other things—“

“Sure. Now that I think of it. That would be good idea.” 

Thank you for reading, commenting, upvoting, and subscribing! Love you guys! ^^