038

One More Day

Joohyeon dropped the phone on the space beside her and leaned back on her bed's headboard, looking up at the ceiling as she closed her eyes. She had just ended the call with Luhan after saying goodbyes to her three other oppas and even if she called to get answers, all she got was another series of questions and mind boggling words, giving her headache. She hit her head on the headboard, hopefully to get her head straight, only to groan in pain and clutch the back of her head.

"Ouch." She rubbed the sore area and sighed, staring up the ceiling as if it had answers to her unending questions. She knew that Luhan tried his best to help her but she wasn't sure if it helped her or not because it only added to the pile of unanswered questions. The older boy's words played in her mind over and over, as if doing so would finally give her answers. She could remember his words as if she had it recorded and saved in her mind but she really couldn't get it at all.

"Did I have...a boyfriend before?" There was a long pause and it made her heart beat faster. She wasn't sure if Luhan was trying to remember if she told him anything about having a boyfriend or his silence means yes and she wasn't sure if she's ready if ever that was really his answer. When she heard Luhan clear his throat, she straightened up, as if an adult told her that she should always think about good posture. But instead of hearing any of those, Luhan asked her a question.

"Why? Do you think you have a boyfriend?" It made go dry and she opened to answer but close it again, knowing she, herself wasn't sure. If she was asked before she even read all those post-its, she might've said no but now, she didn't know anymore. "You know you aren't allowed to have a boyfriend until you graduate, right?" She nodded, looking down on her lap. She knew Luhan couldn't see her but she can't find the words to talk. But she knew Luhan was waiting so she forced out a soft 'yes'. "But do you think you have the capacity to disobey your parents? Joonmyeon?" 

"Of course not!" She said a little too fast but felt, at the back of her mind, it could happen because even if she loves her family and would want to be that good daughter, she isn't perfect and she has her own weaknesses.

"Are you sure?" Luhan asked and she blinked, not getting why he was asking again. Didn't he believe her? Was it too obvious that she was doubting herself?

"I-I..."

"There's your answer." She felt go slack and she was too speechless to say anything for a second until she found her voice again to say, "What?" She heard Luhan chuckling at the other line and she pouted. "That wasn't an answer!"

"Yes, it is. You don't even have to ask because you know the answer," he said in between soft laughter. Wait, did he mean... 

"Are you telling me...I...I have?" She felt her heart jump in her chest. Wild thoughts started running in her mind but it scared her for some reason.

"I already told you, Joohyeon, you know the answer to that. You don't need to ask me," Luhan said, sighing.

"But I don't understand! I really don't know, oppa. Can't you just..." She was already sounding desparate and she hated it. She was on the verge of breaking down but she held it back. She can't cry now, not when she needed to know what Luhan was trying to say.

"Joohyeon, listen to me," Luhan said more firmly and she blinked the tears away. "I really do want to help, I really do but there are things that are just too... how do you say it...hard? Because there are many consequences... Do you know your brother will kill me if he finds out I'm telling you all this?" She heard him let out an exasperated sigh and she felt bad once more for dragging Luhan into her problems. 

"S-Sorry..."

"I'm sorry too but it's just all I can say."

She bit the insides of her cheek when she recalled it. She understood that Luhan can't say much but somehow, talking to him, gave her some sort of relief that she really wasn't chasing for nothing. That she wasn't wrong when she decided to learn more about her past when everyone else would just tell her to forget about it and move forward. At least he tried and that was what's important for her. 

She messed up her hair and groaned. "Why  do they keep on telling me such confusing words? First Yoongi and now Luhan oppa?" 

She heaved a sigh and took the cellphone in her hands again, hoping to find some entertainment into it just to push all the thoughts that was starting to give her a headache. She unlocked the phone and scrolled through the applications. There weren't much games that interest her so she decided to see if there are photos of Haejin in it since after all, it's her phone. She was about to press the gallery when she realized that it could mean she will be invading her privacy. She bit the corner of her lip, thinking. She was really curious to know if Haejin is the type to take selcas because by the looks of it, she is. 

"It wouldn't hurt if I just look at it a little, right?" 

Hesitantly, she pressed the gallery and it opened to show many folders that surprised her. She let out a soft chuckle because the thumbnail of the first folder had a selca of her. There was also a video of some KPOP groups, making her amused. She is a fan of some groups but since life has been too much for her, she just does it for hobby. She decided to open the folder with the thumbnail of Haejin's selca and a smile curled on her lips.

She scrolled through the pictures, seeing some pictures of her with her brother, Seokjin, some of the boys, stolen pictures of people she wasn't too familiar with and as well as the boys until she stopped with a picture of Jungkook and a particular boy who made her heart jump. Again. She swallowed the lump in , staring at the picture of the two boys smiling brightly as Taehyung hugged him from behind. Her lips lifted to a smile, seeing how the two was indeed close. She could also see it by the way they are almost always together at home and playing around. She switched it to the next picture and she felt her heart stopping. It was one of those random stolen pictures but this time, it was of that dark brown haired boy who always managed to annoy her but make her somehow smile with his antics. 

For the weeks she'd lived with the boys, she had gotten to know them more and she found out that they all have unique personalities but Taehyung would always have the most unique trait out of all of them. Maybe it was because he is a totally 4D person, making him 'one-of-a-kind'. It was really hard to predict him because one minute, he will be so in the mood to tease you, annoy you, and then the next, he would be quiet and stare off into space as if in deep thought or just watch everything around him. Sometimes he's too energetic but sometimes, he would just be sitting there, looking tired and done with life. 

She bit her bottom lip as she realized that she was already smiling. She also can't believe that she actually noticed all that about him when last time she checked, they hated each others guts. Maybe it was because of that hatred that made her notice him more than she should. She isn't sure and that frustrates her. She pressed her lips together as she stared at his picture. It was obvious that it was taken at a distance and by the looks of it, it looked like it was taken in a park. She had to zoom it up close to see his face and he was staring off so far, one leg to his chest and arm resting on it as if he was in deep thought and she started wondering what could it might be that he was thinking so hard. 

Her eyes widened a little when she realized that she was thinking of him again and she was staring at his picture. She pressed the home button and locked the phone, shaking the thoughts of him away. But no matter how hard she tried, his face would still pop up in her mind and she stopped trying because there's just no use--it only makes her tired. She sighed, remembering how that boy is back in his home, hopefully not being scolded by his parents because she'll really feel badder than she already is. She already have that urge to go to them and apologize and tell them it's her fault and not get mad at their son. 

She groaned, pulling her knees to her chest and resting her head on top of it. Now she was already worried and caring for him. She might've gone mad. Few minutes ago, she was racking her brain for answers to Luhan's questions and now, she was about to go nuts asking herself why she was thinking of that guy again. She already didn't know what to think anymore because she was just so tired of wondering about things she can't even understand anymore.

A knock on the door make her look up and Jungkook peeked in her room and grinned. "Snacks?" 

 

He felt his stomach do a somersault when he remembered that so-called simple game that turned out to be a field of teases, retorts, revenges and most importantly confessions. It's when he believed what Jimin called him--dumb.

Like the girl said, there was a big circle surrounding the bonfire although it was a doubt that everyone did join. Some only stood behind, watching and listening and some had gone back to their tents to call it off since it was already pretty late at night. 

The seven boys including Joohyeon and Haejin sat by each other, Taehyung and Joohyeon sitting at both ends with their friends in the middle. 

"Aren't you going to sit by her and annoy her?" Jimin asked as he looked at him. Taehyung snorted. "I'm not in the mood." Jimin snickered, facing the fire. "Not in the mood or you just can't stay still beside her?" This earned him a glare which he just laughed at. He looked away and stared at the dancing fire as thoughts invaded his mind.

He can't understand why the boys kept on insisting that he likes her when all he did was annoy her and . They can't even be called friends at any level because they simply just don't click. He could remember the first time they met, when he was asked to join her home economics class because he had missed his when he overslept at the school's rooftop.

He recalled how when he entered that classroom, so many girls turned his way, shocked and delighted to have him in their class while the boys snorted or smirked at his way. Only Joohyeon remained unfazed and focused on what she was doing. When she looked up, their eyes met and he smirked, like how he did to all the other girls and Taehyung could still remember how she looked surprised before she looked away, a crease on her eyebrows. That was the first time a girl looked like she wanted to kick him out of their class and it amused him. And that was why he asked the teacher if he could join her since it won't get too suspicious as she was the only one who didn't have a partner.

He can't help but smile when he remembered how displeased Joohyeon was when all he did was eat what she makes but what can he do, he doesn't really know how to cook even rice and he loved teasing her because of her reactions. He had heard a lot of things about her through Jungkook and one of it was how she was really nice and patient so he tested her then by doing all those things that could annoy her. 

A nudge on his side woke him up in his thoughts and he looked at Jimin who raised an eyebrow at him. "You're smiling there like a stupid. Were you even listening to the mechanics of the game?" 

Taehyung blinked as he looked at the student explaining and was now passing some kind of bowl. "No. I bet it's just some kind of truth or dare anyway," he shrugged.

"Nice try but no." Jimin snickered and Taehyung arched an eyebrow at him, "Then what?" Before Jimin could answer, the bowl landed on them and Jimin got a paper inside, giving it to Taehyung next who confusedly got a piece of folded paper. "What's this?" Jimin rolled his eyes. "It's because you're not listening."

"Then whatever," he muttered, unfolding the paper.

"There's two same numbers and those who got paired up can ask the other any question or let them do anything. No limits since the teachers doesn't even care. Just no violating the other's right. The calling of numbers are in random," Jimin said after all and Taehyung nodded, curious on who got the same number as his.

It wasn't long before the 'game' started and for some reason Taehyung was growing anxious. Seokjin was paired up with a girl in another class and he was asked if he had a girlfriend ever before while in turn, he told the girl to go to the person she likes and do an aegyo. It was really funny because the girl was hesitant at first but her friends pushed her in all sides and finally she found the courage and did as she was told. 

He wasn't really nervous about whatever his partner will make him do or ask because he was that of a confident person but somehow, his heart couldn't calm down. The game went on and went and there were a lot of laughters and confessions that happened and secrets spilled on the table.

"Scared?" Jimin teased and Taehyung snapped his head at him and cleared his throat. "No." Jimin stifled a laugh. "You looked like a stiff pole."

"Shut up," Taehyung said, frowning.

"Next is... 12!" Jimin shook him and pointed at him. "Here!" Taehyung sat frozen, surprised that it was already his turn. He composed himself and raised his paper in the air and plastered a confident smile. "Ohh..." He heard Jimin as his side and he was supposed to ask him what when suddenly he spotted the person who held the same paper as him and his jaw tightened. 

"Wow. We have two of the school eyecandies, Kim Taehyung and Jung Daehyun!" Solji said a large grin on her face. Students started to murmurs amongst themselves. Their eyes met and both held their stares, as if looking away would mean defeat. "So who will ask first?" Solji asked, looking back and forth at them. Eyes were all on them, anticipating it. He was about to raise his fist up when Daehyun beat him up to it.

"I'll do it," he said and Taehyung smirked.

"Go on," He said confidently. Daehyun is known to be that top model student, nice-type guy but he doubts he doesn't have another side of him and it clearly showed with how he smirked at him.

"I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not. We're playing a game, right?" Taehyung said, not planning to lose and he doesn't even know why he was doing it.

"Great. It's not really a hard question. I'm sure everyone here is interested." In his head, Taehyung just want to snap at him, tell him to just say it and not be a sissy but he remained quiet and let him talk because he's going to have his own time later. "It's flying around that you might be a playboy. Is it true? If not, prove it."

Taehyung felt his clench tighten for a moment while his friends looked at him, surprised. They knew it wasn't true but rumors is natural in schools and since they are pretty popular in school, even if they have a number of admirers who's ready to protect them, there are also many who spreads rumors to spite them. Taehyung knew that boy was trying to find something to destroy his image but he wouldn't let it happen. Not him.

With confidence, he smirked, "I might look like one but I assure you, my friends, girls," the girls swooned, "I'm not. To prove it," Taehyung looked at the circle, stopping at a specific girl who looked disinterested and was just looking down. He stared at her for a while, thinking whether he should do it or not but in the end, he did, too late to catch himself. "There's just one girl I'm pinning on right now and she's among us but it's a secret." He felt his heart jump when suddenly Joohyeon looked up and their eyes met and he swore that his heart might've some problem with calming down. There were many gasps and squeals, another rumor brewing. All his friends stared at him in shock while he tried to maintain his confidence and smile, looking at Daehyun. "Did I answer your question, Daehyun-ssi?"

The boy smiled, staring at him as if thinking whether he'll let him go until he nodded. "Yes, thank you, Taehyung-ssi." Trying to maintain that good image, huh? Taehyung smirked.

"Ey, that was such a tease. You should tell us who it is," Solji said and many agreed, saying 'she's right' 'tell it' and the likes but he himself doesn't even know who it really is and if ever there will be one, he doesn't even know if he could do it.

He smiled his charming smile and said, "That you'll have to wait. I don't want to scare her off and lose my chance." He winked and he swore, the girls were melting in their places and honestly, it freaks him out. Clearing his throat, "Is it my turn?" he asked, shifting on his seat. He could feel all eyes on him, the murmurs finally done. Daehyun grimaced and nodded. "What is it?"

"Nothing hard," Taehyung said, trying to mimick him, "I'm sure everyone is curious as well. You are popular to be a model student, nice, well, as they say, good-looking." Taehyung's smile became wider, "But I'm sure you are still a guy, right? I assume you are not a gay." He saw his smile twitch a little and Taehyung was sure he was succeeding on pissing him off.

"Of course not. I can even prove it to you." Taehyung didn't see that coming but he didn't let the shock register on his face as he smiled. "That'll be nice then. Can you do a public confession to a girl you'd like you to ask out?" As soon as it slipped from his lips, he started regretting it. Daehyun looked a little surprised but composed himself in a second and smile. There was 'oohhs' around mixed with girls' squeals, as if Daehyun was going to confess to them. He could feel the looks his friends gave him but he didn't want to look because he knew he messed up big time. For what reason, he really didn't know but he was sure he did, especially when he followed the boy's line of sight and Joohyeon was looking back at him.

"Sure. I'll do it." Daehyun stood up, adjusting his jacket. Taehyung blinked, surprised, shocked--he already had no idea how he looked. 

"What the fck did you do," he heard Jimin hiss beside him and all he could do was swallow the lump that formed in his throat. His heart was incredibly fast in his chest and he didn't know how to stop it. He doesn't even know why he was acting that way at all and that's what frustrates him more.

He should look away, that's what his heart was telling him but his mind told him to watch, to witness the result of his own stupidity. As Daehyun crossed the field from where he was on the circle, he seemed a little hesitant at first, as if he wasn't sure if he should do it then or not and in the back of Taehyung's mind, he hoped he wouldn't. His friends were cheering him on and he made a weary glance at them before facing forward and to his prospect. When he finally stopped, Taehyung was sure his breath hitched. Joohyeon blinked, looking up at him. Students around started creating noise, gasps and whispers.

"So it's true?"

"He's going to ask her out!"

"Damn lucky girl."

Those were just a few of the comments Taehyung heard and his jaw tightened, especially at that last comment. "She'll be luckier if it's me."

"M-Me?" She stuttered. It was just a little soft but he could hear it because he wasn't sitting that far from her. Daehyun did that shy boyish grin, ruffling his hair. "I know it's sudden," Daehyun glanced at him before focusing back on Joohyeon, "but I'm sure you already know. I--"

"Haksaengdeul! TIME TO SLEEP!" Students groaned hearing one of the teachers announce. But in contrast to it, Taehyung felt so relieved that he let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. When he realized it, Jimin was looking at him with that mischievous grin of his and he cleared his throat.

"Are you still denying it?"

"Shut up."

 

They were all asked to return to their tents and they reluctantly did, Daehyun not being able to finish his turn. Taehyung stood up from his seat and looked back at Joohyeon who still looked stunned as Daehyun turned back to her after turning to the teacher. Without thinking, he darted to them, his friends just watching the scene unfold before them.

"Joohyeon--"

"Too bad you weren't able to finish it but don't worry. I don't hold grudges," Taehyung said, interrupting Daehyun. The two turned to him and his lips curled to a victorious smile. He could see in Daehyun's eyes that he already wanted to punch him but knew he wouldn't because, after all, he's a model student and good students don't do that.

"Is it really?" Daehyun said, disbelief in his tone and Taehyung played along, sighing for effect. "Really. I bet Joohyeon here would want to hear it but..." He looked at Joohyeon whose eyebrows narrowed on him and he knew that he would have to pay for it later, "We need to go."

"What?" Joohyeon said, surprised and Taehyung gave her a look while Daehyun looked at Joohyeon.

"Have you forgotten?" Taehyung said, hoping Joohyeon would get the signal but to his luck, she didn't.

"I don't--"

"Oh c'mon. Are you still mad at me?" Taehyung feigned hurt and Joohyeon's mouth went slack. Daehyun looked at Joohyeon then at Taehyung before a knowing smile came to his lips and he shrugged.

"Sure." Joohyeon looked at him and Daehyun just smiled charmingly at her, something Taehyung wanted to wipe off his face. "It's alright. Mr. Park might also get mad if we don't return to our tents and it looks like," Daehyun looked at Taehyung, smirking, "someone's not liking it." Taehyung's eye twitched and what annoyed him more is when his friends seemed to agree with him. "I'll see you tomorrow. Good night," Daehyun said, ruffling her hair, nodding to Taehyung's friends before he walked away, hands inside his pant's pockets.

"What was that?" Joohyeon asked as soon as Daehyun was far enough from them. Taehyung's face looked shocked for a moment before a smirk came to his lips. "You'll thank me someday." Joohyeon's eyes narrowed on him and their friends knew it was time to separate them.

"Alright! Time out! Let's go back to our tents and see each other tomorrow, eo?" Hoseok said, going in between them. Joohyeon gave him one last look before she looked at Hoseok and nodded, smiling. Haejin took her place beside Joohyeon and hooked her arm through hers. "Let's go! Good night guys!" Haejin chirped and the boys nodded, smiling except of Taehyung who still stared at Joohyeon quite intensely. It only broke when Jungkook grabbed his arm and pulled him away. "C'mon." He looked back and at the same time, Joohyeon turned and for the second their eyes met, a feeling they've never felt before brewed in their hearts.

 

The morning after that, as promised, they took a group photo before they left the campsite, thus where the framed picture came from. But of course, Taehyung and Joohyeon still continued to bicker and tease each other all the way back to Seoul.

Recalling it could only make him laugh and smile. He won't deny how stupid he was for telling Daehyun to do it, only to wish to take it back. He never felt thankful to a teacher until then. Although he was undeniably dumb then, he was glad because if those things didn't happen, he might've been still denying it to himself and staying blind to his obvious feelings.

Although he realized that he really likes her, he never changed--if he did, he only annoyed her more, appearing suddenly here and there and 'silently' guarding her until he found the courage to finally confess to her.


A/N:

WASSUP WASSUP WASSUP ^^ Another update from yours truly. I didn't want you guys to wait longer so here it is. I hope it's not crappy and you enjoyed it. I hope this chapter isn't confusing. Just comment down if you have any questions. I'll try to update soon. ^^

Let's me just tell you guys that you're really awesome and I enjoyed reading all your comments. It always boosts me up thus all these updates. Ideas are coming to me faster because of it. ^^

Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing! Love you guys!