050

One More Day

WARNING: LONG CHAPTER AHEAD! ENJOY READING! ^^,


Phone ringing.

Screaching.

Screaming.

Darkness.

She wasn't sure how many hours had gone by when those sounds and that complete darkness forced her eyes open, her breathing coming in short and ragged. She could also feel cold sweat forming on her forehead. Just like every other time, she wasn't sure if she's really back to reality. She knew she had been drifting in and out of consciousness, something that makes her unsure if she's dreaming or not. It was always like that, and that time wasn't an exception. She could tell she had gained consciousness at some times because her auditory senses were awake but she couldn't really be sure. It was the reason she couldn't tell whether the voices she heard during those times of 'unconsciousness' were even real or she was just imagining everything. The moment she fluttered her eyes open, she felt like everything was a deja vu from when she had first woken up after her coma but she was sure that something with her changed from that moment years ago.

Her vision was blurry but she could make out the figures around her as they crowded around her bed. 

"Joohyeon, are you awake yet?" It was her brother's voice. She squint her eyes to clear her vision and when it wasn't hazy anymore, she was able to see the worried glances of her oppas as they stared right at her. She even saw Youngjae among them, the only difference from what had happened the first time she woke after her accident. She felt slightly relieved to see them but she felt a little panic seize her when she realized that something isn't right.

They weren't supposed to be there.

It was when that realization dawned in her that she felt her heart picking up it's speed, "T-The g-guys... Where...Where are t-they? Tae--" She stopped, realizing what she was just about to say. Her voice is hoarse, scratchy for not talking for a long time but she knew they understood what she had said as most of their eyebrows furrowed and their jaws hardening for a second although she hoped nobody actually had. Averting her gaze, she tried sitting up but the movement made her dizzy and she fell back on the bed, the guys near her assisting her almost immediately in surprise. They helped her incline her bed so that she could sit up and she forced on a smile as she tried to focus her sight.

"Don't force yourself if you can't do it," a voice scolded her. She couldn't be bothered to look at who it was because she knew who that voice came from and with her head spinning from the impact, she just couldn't get her sight straight. She closed her eyes to relax as Luhan sighed as he swept her hair aside, his heart lighter since she had woken up.

When she opened her eyes as her dizziness subside, she was met with Youngjae's orbs which swam with what she could call as worry and something she couldn't tell...or maybe afraid to see. She held his gaze, hoping he could read her like how one particular guy could but at the same time, she was afraid of what he might see if he could. The guilt started eating her up again and she looked away, feeling shameful to have the guts to look even look at him.

"Can you guys leave us for a moment?" A voice cut in the silence and with a little hesitation did the other guys nodded. They told them that they'll grab something to eat and be back and also told Joohyeon to not force herself because it wouldn't be good for her before they finally left them alone. Youngjae was the last to leave the room and she risked a glance at his direction. Her heart clenched when he smiled at her before walking out the room. She wasn't even able to return the smile back as she was too stunned to react. She knew that smile meant that he was happy to see her awake and that...that...

"How are you feeling?" Her eyes turned to her brother's who had his back turned to her as he poured water to a glass and she was sure that he was trying to compose himself before facing her. She looked down on her lap, unable to meet her brother's eyes as he turned around.

"Oppa..."

"Here. You should drink some water. You've been out of it for quite a while," he said as a glass of water appeared in front of her. She felt her eyes water and she bit her lips to stop it from quivering. She grabbed the glass from Joonmyeon, her hand too shaky she had to hold it with both hands to steady her hold.

It's been over a month since they had last seen each other and the way they parted wasn't exactly great so it was harder to face each other. At least on Joohyeon's part because she knew doing what she did wasn't exactly a good thing but during that time, she couldn't think of anything else but that. She was just too intent on not leaving that she was ready to risk everything else. She knew it was a reckless action on her part but what can she do? She tried asking her brother countless of times but he didn't allow her for whatever reason that she didn't know. At least back then but now, she was having a clue on why but she won't say anything. She won't because she wanted to hear it straight from him. She also don't want to outright accuse him of something if ever she was wrong with her own speculation. She didn't want to hurt him. 

"Aren't you going to ask me how long you've been sleeping?" She dared look at him and she was surprised to see a small smile on her brother's face and instead of returning it, she ended up crying no matter how much she tried holding it in. She covered her face with her hands, her hair falling to her face as she tried to hide her face from her brother. She heard a soft sigh before arms embraced her. Her brother patted her comfortingly at the back as she continued to cry. She doesn't even know what she's crying for. It was like pent up feelings she needed to let out and it chose that time to get out.

"Oppa...I-I'm..."

"Sshhh... It's okay. I'm not mad so it's alright," he said reassuringly but instead of it making her stop, she started to bawl out, making her brother chuckle. It took her a few minutes before she finally calmed down and Joonmyeon felt it alright to let her go. She sniffed and hiccuped as she wiped her tears away and Joonmyeon softly smiled at the sight of his sister. Even after all those years, even after the accident, even after she lost so many of her memories, Joonmyeon realized one thing and that's his sister never changed a bit; She was still that crybaby he knew since they were young.

"Stop crying. I already told you you don't look pretty when you cry," Joonmyeon teased and that's when Joohyeon was able to force herself to chuckle a little although it came out sounding like a gurgle.

"But you still love me," she said, wiping the remaning tears and Joonmyeon smirked.

"But you shouldn't use that against me, you little sly girl," he said, knocking on her head. 

"Ouch. Hey, you shouldn't hit sick people, you know," she said, holding the spot Joonmyeon hit and he scoffed playfully while she smiled. Silence followed as they watched each other, as if trying to make up for the months they've been away from each other. Looking at her brother, nothing much had changed although she could see the dark circles in his eyes bigger than it last did, and the slightly poor state his skin had become, and she knew she is to blame for it.

Looking down, she fidget with her fingers. "I'm sorry," she said, knowing it was time to tell him that. She had been thinking of many scenarios that could happen when they meet and this wasn't one of them so she wasn't sure of what to do but apologize. She knew it was the right thing to do since in many ways was she on the wrong side. Just the act of just running away was irresponsible of her and she was sure her parents would say so once they find out about it. She wouldn't be stubborn and act as if she did the right thing by just running away although she wouldn't admit it out loud. She looked down on her glass of water and realized she hadn't really drank from it yet so she did to distract herself for moment.

Joonmyeon sighed as he watched his sister. As always, she looked fragile like every other time she wakes up from passing out, her skin pale and her face tired. And every time he felt sorry. He felt sorry because he couldn't do anything to erase the pain. Sorry because he wasn't able to stop the accident to happen. Sorry because all he could do is watch her and hope for her to get well soon. Sorry because he didn't try harder for a solution than to fly her to another country, thinking it was for the best. Sorry because, because of that mindset of him, his sister was forced to run away. Sorry because all those years, he tried to hide the truth from her, telling her white lies thinking it would protect her. 

All he wanted was for her to live a good life. Without people expecting too much from her...unlike him. He didn't want people to watch her and expect her to do well always, to abide rules set up for her, to be obedient to the point of forgetting about her own happiness. He wanted her to live a life with little restrictions, to enjoy it until it last, especially that she was just a teenager. That's why he didn't stop her when he saw her falling in love, because he didn't want her to regret it later on for not trying until it's too late because he stopped her. That's why he let her create a relationship even if it was forbidden.

He didn't regret letting her because she could see the bounce in her steps during the rare mornings they run into each other before heading to their own campuses or the happy tone in her voice during the times she tells him stories of what happened in her school. She could also see the blush on her cheeks whenever she almost slipped about telling him about her love life. She wasn't cooped up in her room too unlike before and that was good because he was afraid his afraid didn't have any social life anymore because of trying to live up to their parents' expectations--to everybody's expectations. Everything was good and there wasn't a moment where he regretted his decision of keeping everything from his parents or not stopping her until the accident happened.

When he received a phone call telling him that his sister was in the hospital due to a car accident, he felt his world breaking down. He never felt so scared in his life. The moment the doctor told him that she might be in comatose for a week or more, he had to stop himself from crying. He had to be strong, for his parents, for his family, for Joohyeon. He kept asking himself questions after that. Did I do the wrong thing? Where have I gone wrong? Did something happen I didn't know? Why did it have to happen? Why her of all people? His mind was racing, and when he overheard Kris and Luhan and a couple of the guys talking, he felt his blood running cold. 

"What did you say?" He remembered asking them. "S...She went to the bar looking...looking for who?"

The guys told him to calm down but he couldn't because he felt that it wouldn't have happened if he had stopped her being with him. It's when he realized that he forgot how love could also break you, that it's not all sunshine, and he, he subjected his sister to experience that pain in such a young age and almost drove her to her death. He never stopped blaming himself for it.

When Joohyeon woke up a week and a half later, he was so thankful but his heart broke when he found out that she had a post-traumatic amnesia, that she would forget certain memories of the past, that she would forget about memories that she could've treasured. But he tried to take it in a good side and without intending to, he used it to pacify himself for the decision he was about to make. He took her to America, hoping it would help her create better memories.

"What good would it bring her remembering a heartbreak? What good will it be knowing she got into an accident looking for her boyfriend?" He told the boys when they tried reasoning to him about his decisions. They didn't say much after it, for what reason, he wasn't sure but now that he thought of it, they should've convinced him more, to stop him from what he was supposed to do, to get his head straight. Because if they did and he listened, then maybe she wouldn't have run away.

"Joonmyeon oppa...? Are you okay?" He snapped out of his thoughts as he heard her voice and he looked at her and saw the worry in her eyes. He smiled to reassure her.

"I'm okay. I'm sorry I'm zoning out. I'm just thinking about something," he said, looking down for a second before facing her again.

"Oh..."

"How are you?" He asked, pulling the chair closer and settling down.

Joohyeon watched her brother for a while and her heart dropped a little when she realized that his brother was avoiding to talk about her apology. Maybe he was so mad... She placed the glass on the bedside table and weaved her fingers together, settling it on her lap as she forced on a small smile.

"I'm good," she said and grinned sincerely.

"Really?"

"Really." It was like this always, when she wakes up. Her brother asks her how she was feeling and she would reply that she was okay, good, fine. And it wasn't really a lie. Every time she wakes up, she would feel a little refreshed although sometimes she felt as if she couldn't control her own body.

"That's great, then. I don't want to see you sulking because you can't do something you want to do," Joonmyeon teased and she stuck her tongue out.

"I never sulk!" She said and Joonmyeon raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, yes, you do. I know even if you don't say anything," Joonmyeon said, snickering.

Joohyeon in a breath and puffed her cheeks, a small smile eventually lifting on her lips as she stared at her fingers. "I'm never a good actor, am I?" She said and Joonmyeon shook his head, a small smile on his lips.

"No but you didn't have to be so why bother acting something you're not?" Her brother said and she wasn't able to say anything anymore. Her brother is really wise with his words that she often than not have no retort to say. "But," her head turned to look at her brother from staring at the wall opposite her for a while now she hadn't even noticed, "I didn't see you were about to do that so maybe, a little, you are good at it." She understood what her brother meant and she felt her heart swell from guilt. 

"Oppa, about that...I--"

"Joohyeon," her brother cut her off, looking at her eyes, "Can I ask for a favor?" She was confused but nodded anyways because who was she to say no? "Listen to me first. Without saying anything. Just listen, okay? Promise me?" She opened to ask why but her brother gave her a pointed look. "Aigoo, I just said it, didn't I?"

She sighed and nodded, knowing she couldn't really convince him into anything. "Okay. Promise."

"Good," Joonmyeon smiled and she returned a small smile. If shutting up would make her brother relieved and maybe lessen his anger with her, then she would gladly do so. Joonmyeon was quiet for a while, staring at the white sheet of her bed and it got her a little worried and nervous at the same time but she decided to wait because she promised. "I remember the moment when I received the call from the hospital saying you were involved in a car accident."

She felt her heart thumping hard in her chest. It was the first time her brother talked about the accident. At least, after a long time, it was just then that he opened up about it again as he would always, fervently even, avoid it. It was all the more reason to listen to him as she was sure it took him a lot of courage just to talk about it. She couldn't help but be thankful and sorry.

"I rushed out of the house without thinking twice. I might've looked like a madman when I reached the hospital," a soft chuckle escaped his lips from the memory and Joohyeon looked down on her lap, feeling bad about it. "I thought I'm gonna lose you. I was so scared that I told myself that when you wake up, I'll do everything to protect you and not let something like that happen again." From his lateral view, she saw him lean over her bed, settling his elbows on it as he weaved his fingers together, a small reminiscent smile on his lips. "When I found out that you have amnesia and you cried, my heart broke. I tried to make you feel better. I hated to see you cry and be in pain. The doctor told me that it was unavoidable, especially if you are trying to recover your lost memories and every time it is triggered. That's why I told myself that bringing you to America would be the best.

"I remembered you telling me how you would love to go there so I thought that it wouldn't be too much of a bad idea. There you could create new and better memories, and I was right because you met such great people. Jae, Minzy, and your new schoolmates. You made new memories to treasure--to remember. I remember the many times you tried asking me how you were before it happened and I, in the intention of not seeing you in pain, tried to keep everything from you, telling you little of everything. I thought it was fine that way but the more you grew, the more you wonder and get curious but even so I could see your eagerness to know, I still kept it from you. Because then, I didn't think you needed to know it. You are happy with your new life so what's the use of remembering the past?" 

Her heart clenched, hearing her brother's thoughts like this. She never thought Joonmyeon felt that way and it made her feel selfish for only thinking about herself all the while finding answers for her questions. She blinked away the tears, not wanting to worry her brother. She had to be strong, like how her brother was for her.

"When you ran away, so many questions raced my mind all at once. Where did you go? Did something happen? Did I do the wrong thing? When are you coming back? And funny enough, those were the questions I also asked myself when you got into that accident. I was restless until I read your letter. I really couldn't understand it at first, asking myself why are you so eager to know your past when it will only cause you pain. Over the month you were gone, I always ask that to myself until I finally understood it, the hard way that it." 

Joonmyeon looked her straight in the eyes with a soft smile on his lips. He took her cold hands in his and squeezed it, making her smile back. Her brother's hands were warm and it was a really comforting feeling.

"Can you believe how long your supposed to be wise and smart brother figured it out?" He laughed and Joohyeon fought the tears that was about to fall as she shook her head. There was silence until Joonmyeon breathed out loudly, patting her hands. "I heard your apology a while ago and I'm sorry too, for doing what I did. For being selfish, I'm sorry. I'll understand if you won't forgive me right away..."

"Of course not!" She said, not being able to stop herself any longer. She shook her head, holding Joonmyeon's hands tightly. "You don't have to be sorry, oppa. I was disappointed, yes, but you already said it, you did it for my sake. You were never selfish, oppa. You are the most selfless person I know, you know that, so I won't accept it if you tell me that you are selfish. It's not just right."

Joonmyeon softly smiled at her and shook his head. "You're really stubborn, as always."

"That's why we're siblings, right?" She said, grinning even if her eyes are glistening with tears. Joonmyeon laughed and she joined him as the burden they felt were slowly being lifted off their shoulders. Once their laughter died down, nobody spoke a word, just enjoying the peace they have while knowing that they have finally opened up to each other. 

But even so, Joohyeon can't help but think of something else. Someone else. She didn't even know how she ended up there although she was sure that the boys had taken her and Jungkook was probably the one who called her brother. She also doesn't know how many hours or even days had passed when she was asleep and she wondered if any of them visited her. She bit her lips unconsciously and Joonmyeon noticed it, smiling a little.

"Aren't you going to ask me something?" He asked, knowing too well that her sister has so many questions. She was, afterall, a very inquistive person.

She blushed, embarrassed to be caught again. "Oppa, before anything," she looked down on her lap, thinking whether or not it was right to say it, "...we've said our apologies, right?" Joonmyeon nodded, wondering what his sister was about to say. Hesitating and a little embarrassed, she asked, "Can we start being honest then?"

Joonmyeon was taken aback for moment but a smile reached his lips as he nodded, his heart swelling with pride. His sister has indeed grown mature. "Of course. We leave the past to the past but bring the lessons to the present." Joohyeon smiled. "So, your question?"

"Uhm... Since you've mentioned it...how long...?" Joonmyeon chuckled, knowing she'll ask it as he looked at the his wrist watch before facing her.

"Exactly fifteen hours since you were brought here around five in the afternoon yesterday." She looked out the window and saw small streaks of light trying to pass through the blinds and curtains. She was almost out for a day. She sighed.

She hesitated asking her next question but before she could even ask it, her brother had beaten her into it. "If you're wondering how we knew, Jungkook called me. We rushed here immediately when we heard. I heard from Luhan that you are really going home yesterday, was it true?" 

She nodded softly, a sad smile on her lips. "I tried to make the best out of my last day with them. I supposedly have plans to do with them today before leaving although I don't knw how but I guess I didn't have to worry about how to tell them that I'll be leaving because this happened and I ruined my last day with them, huh, oppa?" She said, looking up at her brother, another round of tears threatening to fall and Joonmyeon smiled a little, shaking his head.

"Of course not, you little squid. It's not your fault you passed out, right?" He said, knocking on her head softly. She took a deep breath, sighing.

"Still. The boys must've been so shocked... I didn't want them to witness something like that. They were all so good to me... I..." She sighed once more and shook her head, looking down on her lap.

Joonmyeon stared at his sister. He could remember the times when his sister would wear that kind of expression. It's when they were playing and she broke one of their mother's flower pot and when she went home one day after their exam results came out and she wasn't able to get a perfect score in all her subjects like what their parents expected from her. Or when she wasn't able to do something she wanted so badly. And for her to have those emotion conveyed right now thinking of those boys, he knew that they had grown in her again, if not they hadn't left. He thinks it's the latter. He doesn't know if he's going to regret it again but if he could make up for the years he'd kept the truth from her and for basically not trusting her, then he would.

"Do you want to see them?" Her eyes widened at her brother, not expecting him to actually suggest that. "What? You don't want to?" Her brother said, raising his brows and she shook her head vigorously.

"No!" She bit her bottom lip when she noticed how loud she had been and lowered her head a little, a blush on her cheeks. "I mean, I want to see them...if it's okay." 

Joonmyeon smiled, ruffling her hair. "Alright. I'll see what I can do. For now, you should recover fast so you can get out of here." 

Joohyeon smiled, nodding. Her smile faltered as a thought entered her mind. "But oppa...do you think...it would be alright? To see them? Wouldn't they...get mad at me?"

Joonmyeon's eyebrows creased. "What are you saying? Of course not. They're your friends right? They would understand."

Joohyeon nodded, forcing a small smile. "Oppa..."

"Uhm?"

"Are we...Are we going back to America...when I get discharged?"

Her brother's eyebrows narrowed on her for a moment. "Of course," Joonmyeon said, nodding his head. "You said it in your letter, remember?" She bit the insides of her cheek and Joonmyeon can't help but smirk. "Get well soon and I might change my mind." 

"Really?" She said, her tone a tad bit higher and she covered in embarrassment.

"Yes. And don't forget that I haven't forgiven you yet for running away just like that." His brother pressed his lips, giving her a strict look.

"But you said..." She bit her bottom lip and sighed. "Fine. What should I do?"

Joonmyeon grinned and stood up, ruffling her hair in the process. "Like I said, recover soon and I'll forgive you." She doesn't know if she understood it right, but if she did, then her brother might've just told her to completely recover. Even her memories. Her smile widened and Joonmyeon looked away, a little embarrassed.

"Looks like that guys are--"

"Oppa, thank you," she said, sincerely and Joonmyeon looked back at her, smirking.

"Don't thank me yet. Remember. Re.Co.Ver. Got it?"

She grinned. "Yes! I got it!" Joonmyeon smirked.

Her brother left a little later, saying that he'll just be calling the doctor and also check if the guys are on their way yet. She nodded, wanting a little time for herself too. Before the door closed, there was a bubbling urge to call her brother back so she did but when Joonmyeon turned and asked if she needed something, she didn't know what to say or rather how to say it so she just flashed a smile and shook her head, telling him to go back quick. When the door closed behind her brother, her smile faltered as she sighed. She felt ashamed being the one to bring up honesty because in the end, she wasn't the one who had been completely true.

"Mianhae, oppa. I just couldn't tell you now but I will...soon."

 

She had stayed for another night before they got the permission to get discharged that morning. For the rest of the day before, she had stayed in her room, chatting with her oppas and well, Youngjae. There wasn't an hour from the time they returned to her room with a bunch of food take-outs that it had turned quiet. She was thankful that her room could accomodate them all since there are thirteen of them plus her on the bed. More than anything though, she was happy to have their company. She knew she missed them but she didn't think she yearned for them. 

Her oppas told her stories that made her smile and laugh and sometimes a little guilty although she knew they didn't intend to. She just couldn't help it especially if she knew they were right. They even told her what happened when she was gone and all she could do was apologize although they said that it was nothing and they should just leave it in the past. They tried to make the stories funny, especially Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Jongdae, and Sehun. She had a really good time listening to them until they told her about how her boyfriend never stopped looking for her.

"If you had just seen your boyfriend, he almost hadn't slept looking all over the city for you. You should totally make it up for him," Tao said, sitting crossed legged at the couch on her left where most of the guys lounged. She felt her heart skipping a bit and she looked at Youngjae who was sitting at her right on a chair, looking slightly abashed. His cheeks blushed as he tried to deny what Tao had said. He was stubborn like that but she knew Youngjae really cared for her, except that she didn't know he'll go that far, and again, she felt it burdening her. She looked down and saw his hands clasped on top of her bed and out of habit, she reached out but stopped, thousands of thoughts running through her mind before she withdrew her hand. It was then that Youngjae looked at her and she forced on a small smile which the boy returned with a brighter smile. 

They never really had a time to talk with each other alone during the whole duration of her stay until her dischargement that morning. Joonmyeon went out to fix her papers leaving them both alone. They were the two who stayed the night before watching over her although she told them that she'll be alright alone. When the door closed behind her brother, silence engulfed them as Joohyeon sat on her bed while Youngjae zipped his bag close. He looked around the room once to check whether they've left anything before he finally faced Joohyeon, giving her a grin.

"Ready to go home?" He asked, walking towards her from his position on the couch at the left side of the room.

She knew she should return his smile back or answer his question but rather than doing those, she ended up staring at him. Her eyes traced his features from his eyes, to his nose, his soft cheeks, then to his thick but attractive eyebrows then back to his eyes down to his nose then finally, his lips. She could still remember the last time those pair of lips touched hers, that night after the dance competition. She remembered how she missed his comforting embrace and his voice but now that she thought of it, when his lips touched hers, the tingling feeling from the first time he did was gone, or at least not as strong as it did before. And she hated to compare but the soft kisses on her forehead every night from someone she wasn't sure of but have a hint on, gave her a feeling she hadn't felt from those her supposed boyfriend gave her. Does that even make sense? For someone else to give her those feelings other than her own boyfriend? That's where things get blurry and the guilt eats her once more. Because she knew--knows--it shouldn't be that way. Before it didn't make sense and she still couldn't understand it completely but when she woke up that morning after another episode of her, she was getting a hint of why and she's afraid of what it could do to their relationship.

She knew that in a relationship, you should be honest with each other, aside from the loving one another. She also knew that you should have trust in each other and she does, she trusts him but she wasn't sure when she started doubting so many things in their relationship. Not with her trust with him nor his trust on her but with her trust on herself. She wasn't sure when she began questioning her own feelings for him. Is what I'm feeling for him really the love a girlfriend should have for her boyfriend? Am I even worth it of his love? Those kind of questions came popping up in her mind many times especially when she finds herself alone or when she's with...someone else. And after she woke up yesterday morning, she knew she had to do something about it, not that she hadn't thought before but she thought it was just a one time thing, that something she felt for the dark brown haired boy so she didn't give it much thought. She thought it'll just disappear or that it didn't even matter because it was merely just a like; it wouldn't really last. She tried to deceive herself with those thoughts but to no avail. She knew she didn't have much time left before a bigger damage would be done--before more pain will be felt--and she wants to savage what's more left of their hearts. The problem is that she doesn't know how to do it.

A gentle touch on her cheeks made her snap back from her thoughts and look up to Youngjae's own pair of eyes that was staring at her softly. They stayed like that until Youngjae broke into a small smile before leaning in to kiss her on the forehead. She felt her heart jump with the sudden contact that lasted for a few seconds, as if Youngjae wanted her to remember how it feels, and as much as she understood his gesture, she knew it won't be that easy to reciprocate it unlike before. When he pulled away, he rubbed her cheeks with his thumb, smiling softly.

"Are you nervous to see your parents?" He asked, and she felt her heart stopping as she had almost forgot it. So he thought it was about that, she thought as she smiled nervously, slightly nodding her head. She didn't have the heart to talk to him about it yet. Youngjae smirked playfully, shaking his head. "It'll be okay. I'm sure they'll understand you although I myself is still trying to understand you," he tilted his head a little, smirking, trying to make his statement a little playful. "Just remember I'll always be here, uhm?" He said, and she nodded, smiling softly.

"Thank you," she said and Youngjae smiled back before the door opened and Joonmyeon came in, looking up from the papers he was holding only to be a little surprised to see them in a little too close proximity, making Youngjae slightly step back. 

"Sorry. Did I interrupt something?" Joonmyeon asked, looking at Joohyeon then Youngjae and then back to his sister. The two shook their heads, both cheeks slightly tinted. Joonmyeon gave them a skeptical look for a moment before finally walking in. "It's settled. We could already leave. Jongdae should be waiting for us in front," he said, pressing his lips to a smile.

The short walk to the lobby was quiet with Joonmyeon walking a step ahead of them with Youngjae holding her securely around her shoulders, supporting her. She knew she could already walk but her knees was still a little weak and even if she insisted on walking on her own, Youngjae didn't let her go. When they exit the hospital, as what Joonmyeon said, Jongdae stood there leaning on his car facing the front of the center, busily pressing on his phone. When he noticed them, a bright smile came to his face as he waved a hand and pocket his mobile phone.

"Hi Jongdae oppa," she returned the smile. Jongdae nodded, the same smile plastered to his face. He searched her face for a moment and Joohyeon arched both her eyebrows. "What..."

"You look physically fine by me. Not enough but that's good at least," he grinned and Joohyeon broke to another smile, shaking her head. Jongdae nodded to Youngjae as acknowledgement before facing Joonmyeon. "Should we go? The guys are excited to see her."

Joonmyeon shook his head, his lips turned up at the corner. "We'll see them but not now. Let's go," he said as he opened the door to the passenger's seat and Jongdae nodded, "Yes sir!" Joohyeon smiled at Jongdae's playfulness before she entered the back seat, with Youngjae opening the door for her before going in after her. 

The three hour journey was nothing but full of thoughts.

 

 

It was quite a busy day. 

They had started cleaning up and storing away their things to prepare going back to their original houses in Seoul. They have discussed it over lunch the other day since as what Seokjin had said, their mission there was over. There was hesitation as they knew they were still hoping that Joohyeon will be coming back but they also knew it was impossible. She said so herself that she had to go home the very next day before she collapsed.

There wasn't much to store away as they hadn't really brought a lot with them but cleaning was a little tedious since they couldn't just leave the house without at least sweeping and mopping. Jungkook finished arranging his things and had just gotten out of his shared room when he saw Taehyung standing and leaning at the room's doorway beside his, which was shared by the latter and Jimin. The boy was staring across the hallway and he followed his gaze to see what he was looking at and weren't surprised to know it was Joohyeon's room.

Exhaling, he inserted his hands in his jeans' pockets and approached him, standing just beside the door and leaning on the wall. The boy hadn't seem to notice him as he continued gazing at the opposite door. He decided to wait until Taehyung notice him but when a few minutes passed and he hadn't even moved, he sighed, opting to talk.

"I won't ask you if you miss her because I know you do and because I do, too," he paused and looked at him in his periphal and it seemed that he had returned to his senses as he looked down, swiping his tongue on his lips. He pushed himself off of the wall and faced him, "You're not giving up, are you? You've gone a long way for you to give up now. Whatever that guy has said, you know you shouldn't think about it, right? Taehyung--" He stopped and inhaled deeply, sighing. "Fine. Do whatever you want. But someone had to clean Joohyeon's room. All her things are still there. Are you going to do it?" He asked instead, seeing he hadn't elicit any reaction from him with whatever he had previously said. He stared at him for a while, waiting until the boy shook his head, making his eyebrow furrow. "Are you--"

"It's okay. I'm okay. You do it or whoever. I'll help cleaning up the living room," he said as he looked away and turned, walking to the said area. Jungkook bit his bottom lip in annoyance before hissing. "FINE! I'LL DO IT! AISH!" He shouted after him, lips set to a frown. He turned and was met with Namjoon and Hoseok's curious gazes but not being in the mood, just ignored them and trudged to his room, mumbling to himself. Namjoon and Hoseok exchanged gazes and Hoseok shrugged.

"Looks like we'll be doing it," Hoseok said and Namjoon's lips pressed to a thin line, his eyebrows raising and dropping. "No doubt."

 

The day went by fast and slow at the same time and before they knew it, the sun had begun rising beyond the horizon for a new day. They decided to leave as early as possible to avoid traffic on the way so they were up before the sun could even fully grace the sky with it's beauty. They had placed all their things by the living room so they just had to bring it out to the car. After loading the car with their things, they set out to the road.

The three-hour drive back was filled with silence from all the boys except for the music playing on the stereo. They decided to stop by a stop-over to grab some breakfast an hour and a half later and a toilet trip before they resumed their travel home. They were already almost near the exit to Seoul when Jungkook jumped on his seat, startling those around him.

"What's up?" Yoongi asked the boy beside him.

"It's Joohyeon--" He paused and looked up, catching Taehyung's eyes for a moment before the latter looked away. He snickered before going back to his phone, typing fast. "She just sent a message asking us how we are and said that she's already back in their house in Seoul."

"That's good," Seokjin smiled from the stirring wheel while Taehyung's eyebrows knitted in the middle. 

"Wait. Then does that mean her parents already know?" Jimin asked, voicing Taehyung's concern, as his eyes widened.

There was silence before Jungkook shrugged. "Probably but I think Samchon and Imo wouldn't scold her...that much, would they?" What answered him was silence and until Hoseok said, "I hope so." And nobody spoke for the rest of the way.

They dropped off depending on whose place they'll pass by on the way to Seokjin's place. It was Jimin and Yoongi who left the car followed by Namjoon until it was time for Hoseok to get off. The car halted in front of his apartment complex and he grabbed his things from the back of the car. He was about to close the back when something caught his eye and he stopped midway, looking up to see Seokjin watching him from the rear view mirror. He bit on his bottom lip as he looked down and thought for a while before closing the back trunk.

He rounded the car and stopped by the driver's door and Seokjin rolled the window down. 

"Thanks for the drive. I'll see you guys soon," he grinned as he looked at Jungkook and Taehyung who sat at the back before facing Seokjin and nodding. He stepped back and Seokjin eyed him for a second before stepping on the gas and driving off.

They stopped in front Jungkook's residence as they reached his neighborhood. Lazily, he slid off his seat and opened the door to his side before stepping out. Seokjin opened the trunk door for him and he got his things. He thought of getting Joohyeon's things as well thinking that he could visit her in her house without being stopped by anyone but his eyebrows furrowed when the only things there was Seokjin's and Taehyung's. 

"Where...?" He looked at Seokjin and the latter shrugged.

"Must've been one of the boys. Don't worry. I'm sure it'll reach her," Seokjin assured and Taehyung, hearing it, slightly tilted his head back, wondering what happened. Jungkook chewed on his bottom lip before nodding.

"Alright." Seokjin pushed the door close and they walked towards the gate. "Thanks, hyung. I'll see you soon," he said and Seokjin smiled a little and nodded. He looked over Seokjin's shoulder to Taehyung who had looked at his direction too. Jungkook nodded at him after a while before turning around and opening the gate with his own key. Seokjin watched him go in before walking over to the car and getting in.

He just sat there for a while before he looked at the rear view mirror to check on the only boy left at the back. He was still looking out the window and Seokjin sighed before shifting the gear and getting back on the road.

It took only twenty minutes before they reached the Kim's place. Seokjin turned the engine off and they just sat there in silence. He watched the boy through the rear view mirror and waited until he moved before he speak. It seemed that Taehyung still hadn't noticed that they've reached his place so he said, "We're here." It took Taehyung several seconds before he looked up and Seokjin nodded outside and he looked out. 

"Oh, we're here. Sorry," he said, a little embarrassed. He reached over the back to get his belongings as it wasn't much before opening the door and stepping out. Seokjin folowed him out and they both stood in front of the gate. "Would you like to get in before heading off?" Taehyung asked, his voice forced. It sounded like he didn't want to speak at all but did for the sake of it. Seokjin shook his head.

"Nah. But I'd like to ask you something," Seokjin said and Taehyung swallowed before nodding. "Are you okay? I heard your argument with Jungkook yesterday and I just want to say that..." Seokjin inhaled and exhaled, his lips turning up a little at the corner, "whatever your decision is, we'll understand. Jungkook is just like that but you know he'll understand. So don't worry okay? We just don't want you going back to that...person three years ago," he said and Taehyung forced on a small smile and nodding. Seokjin thumped the on back before turning back and walking over to the car. Before he could get in, Taehyung said, "Thanks, hyung..." It was soft but he heard it and knowing Taehyung, he wasn't the type to easily say those words so he smiled nodded. He stood there until the car drove off and he entered the house.

 

Two days after coming back to her house, she went out for an appointment at the doctor's as scheduled by her parents' secretary. She really didn't have any choice as her parents wouldn't take no as an answer. If you ask what happened when she met them, it was everything Joohyeon had expected. Her parents weren't home when they came back as she had known. They've never been in the house much even when she was young because of their work. If they aren't in a business trip, it was seldom they go home and often stay at a high-end apartment complex near the company leaving her brother and her mostly at their house alone with the maids. It was dinner when her parents arrived and her mother immediately cupped her face and asked if she's alright. 

She got quite a scolding afterwards for her 'drastic' actions but nevertheless, even if her parents disapproved of what she did and obviously couldn't understand why she did what she did, she was just happy that they didn't ask anything that had happened. But that didn't mean her parents went too easy on her. That's why she had to follow strict schedules to the doctor and couldn't go out unless she's with someone trusted.

For the trip to the hospital, it was Jongin who had accompanied her. It was supposed to be his brother but he something came up and even he wanted to come with her, he couldn't. On the other hand, she hadn't seen Youngjae since the other night. She wouldn't blame him though because she knew it was her fault why it ended up that way. She also knew that it was better that way for now although she hoped that in time, they'll be able to face each other again. She didn't want to lose such a great friend but if he was really stern in his decision that he can't be friends with the girl he loves then she'll respect him. 

It only took them an hour in the hospital and she was happy that it was Jongin who was with him and not Joonmyeon.

"I'm happy for you, Joohyeon," Doctor Jung said, smiling warmly at her.

She hesitated before looking up at him and in a breath. "But Doctor Jung, can you not tell anybody about this?" The doctor's eyebrows furrowed and she added, "Please? I'll be the one to tell them. I promise." She looked at her lateral view and found Jongin just closing his mouth. Doctor Jung looked skeptical for a moment before nodding and smiling, "Okay." Doctor Jung had since been her doctor so she knew she could trust him. She found herself releasing a sigh of relief. "Thank you," she said, and with a short bow of her head and a small smile, she exit the room with Jongin following her out, his bottom lip stuck between his teeth. She stopped halfway though and turned back, startling both Jongin and Doctor Jung. A bright smile came to her lips as she said, "And Mr. Jung?" Doctor Jung had an amused smile on his lips at the sudden change from being called a doctor to a mister as he looked at the girl. "Can you please say hi to Daehyun for me?" Doctor Jung looked a little surprised but a smile came to his lips as he nodded, "I will." Joohyeon smiled for the last time before completely walking out the door, Jongin following her from behind.

Her smile slowly disappeared as the door closed and she continued walking, her head hung low as she tried to look at her peripheral for her cousin. That wasn't supposed to happen. She wasn't supposed to tell anybody until she find the right time but when the doctor had asked her, she had no choice but to answer truthfully because she's talking with her doctor. When the elevator doors open and they stepped in, Jongin went to press the button for the ground floor. There were no other people besides them, making it a lot more awkward. She saw him opening his mouth several times but only to close it again and she felt bad but at the same time thankful. When the elevator doors dinged open, they walked out to the parking lot. 

"Wait for me here. I'll bring the car," Jongin said, stepping away but shook his head and spun around, walking towards Joohyeon again. "No, wait. Sorry. I just can't believe it. Did I just hear it right? Did you just say yes...well technically you did by nodding but the point is..." He let out a breath and Joohyeon stared at him, a small smile coming to her lips as she couldn't help it with her cousin's rambling. Jongin saw it and he too smiled, shaking his head. "Okay. I'll go get the car and we'll talk later. That's final," he said, pointing at her before spinning around and walking away. She watched him go and inhaled in deep, crossing her arm over her chest. It was really a good thing it was Jongin who came along, she concluded.

It wasn't five minutes when she saw Jongin's car before it stopped in front of her. Jongin reached over to the passenger's seat's door and pushed it open. He grinned and Joohyeon shook her head before getting in. Jongin immediately sped away after.

"So...before anything, should we go somewhere and celebrate?" Jongin said, a big smile on his lips as he took a quick glance her way. He saw Joohyeon looking down on her lap and his smile fall away. He stretched his hand out and patted her hand. Joohyeon looked up in surprise and Jongin gave her a small smile. "Aren't you happy? Isn't this what you've been wanting?"

Joohyeon bit her bottom lip and shrugged. "I know but now, I'm quite not sure if I did the good thing." 

Jongin his lips while leaning over the steering wheel and looking at the shops outside. "C'mon. Let's grab something to eat since it's already lunch time. We'll talk there. Gogi's good?" Jongin asked, grinning her way and Joohyeon nodded, smiling. Her cousin sure knows what to pull her spirits up although she wasn't sure anything could really bring her mood up as of the moment. Jongin then parked in front of a restaurant before turning the engines off. They both stepped out of the car and walked to the entrance. A waiter welcomed them and showed them to a seat before handing them menus. After they said their orders, they were left alone to wait.

Jongin leaned over the table as he stared at his cousin, thinking of ways to start a conversation. Deciding to carry the conversation they had earlier in the car on, he said, "I heard about what happened." He knew he need not reiterate what he meant as he saw Joohyeon biting her lower lip, eyes cast down. Jongin sighed and reached over to grab her hands. He squeezed her hands, opting her to look at him and when she did, he smiled reassuringly, or he hoped it did. "That's alright. I'm sure he understood, maybe not now, but he will."

"But he got hurt, I knew he did. I saw it in his eyes and it hurt me that it was I who caused it, or he even felt it at all. He was a really good person. A very good friend. He didn't deserve it," she said, her eyes glistening with tears and she took a deep breath to hold it in.

"Are you saying that you regret remembering just because of that?" Jongin said and Joohyeon looked up at him, eyebrows furrowing before shaking her head.

"No, not only that. I've hurt a lot of people along the way. Joonmyeon oppa, you and the other oppas, appa, omma, and even the boys, my friends, I've all caused you pain. How can I be happy when I know many people got hurt?" Joohyeon covered her face with her hands as she retract it away from Jongin's. A tear fell and she wiped it away quickly. She didn't want to cry there and even make her feel more embarrassed and shameful. Jongin decided to keep quiet for a while, to give his cousin some time to relax as he tohught of the best thing to say.

When he deemed it alright, he said, "Joohyeon, listen." Joohyeon sniffed once before looking up at him, her eyes red from stopping herself from crying. He swallowed. "You didn't hurt us. You leaving?" He shook his head. "We were worried but we were never hurt. If anything, I'm hurt because you hadn't run to me," Jongin pouted and Joohyeon bit back a laugh because he looked awkward doing it but a smile still made it to her lips.  "Hey! What's so funny? If you've come to me, I would've brought to somewhere farther where Joonmyeoni hyung won't find you!" Jongin said, pouting more and she wasn't able to stop herself from chuckling. Jongin broke into a smile upon seeing it. It was worth it acting dumb just to see someone important to you smile.

Right then, the food came and hungry, they immediately began eating. Joohyeon didn't have much appetite but she didn't want to spoil Jongin's mood so she ate even a little. Luckily, Jongin had decided to drop the topic and they just talked about random things. Jongin quizzed her to know of she had really gained her memory back and somehow, Jongin made her laugh. An hour had passed when they decided to pay for their food and leave the restaurant.

When they stepped out, Joohyeon took in a deep breath, feeling the early signs spring. A small smile came to her lips. Jongin who had been watching her can't help but smile. He still couldn't believe that Joohyeon has finally regained her memories back although not totally. What's important is she was recovering, and he's happy to know that. It might be complicated because many had happened during the time she lost her memories that contradicts her past but he knows Joohyeon could get over it. He trust that she can. 

He slung an arm over her shoulders, making Joohyeon glance up at him. He grinned before looking around before nodding to the direction of a park nearby, "How about we stroll around? We haven't done this in a while. All the guys are swarming around you every time." Joohyeon playfully hit him on the abdomen making Jongin chuckle. "Kaja!"

They decided to buy ice cream as they walked around and chat about random things. There were times that they would just walk quietly and Jongin knew that Joohyeon has a lot in her mind. An hour later, Jongin received a call from Joonmyeon and as he promised to Joohyeon, he didn't say anything to him about her recovering her memories but the doctor telling that there was nothing to worry about. They stayed for a little more before their legs were already too tired to keep up and they decided to go home.

The ride home didn't take too long and before they knew it, they were already on Joohyeon's street. Joohyeon was busy looking out the window when Jongin called out to her.

"Joohyeon, isn't that one of your friends? I think I saw him in the hospital last time," he said making her look at the way Jongin was looking. Her eyes squint as she leaned forward to the dashboard to get a clearer view. When they were only three meters away, her eyes widened to see who it was. He was about to turn around when Jongin finally reached the gate and halted. Joohyeon looked at Jongin first as if unsure if she should go out or not and Jongin smiled nodding. "If you're thinking of doing what you wanted to do, then you shouldn't waste this chance." Joohyeon smiled and reached over to hug him. 

"Thank you." 

"Anytime, sis."

Joohyeon quickly pushed the door open and stepped out. Just in time, the person noticed them and looked up, eyes slightly widening until a smile graced his lips.

"Joohyeon."


A/N:

Hi my lovely readers! How are you all doing? I know it's been a while. I'm sorry if I took this long for an update but I'm sure you get why with how long this chapter turned out. I kept on retyping this chapter to be honest that it took me this long to update. This is the longest chapter I've written for this story, I can't believe it. 9.9k words! I'm sorry for the long wait but I hope this is worth it your time. There's only one chapter plus the epilogue to go. I hope you'll patiently wait for it. I'm hoping to post it up next week. Please anticipate it!

So what do you guys think about this chapter? We've already heard Joonmyeon's side and joohyeon had finally cleared things up with Jae. It's also revealed that Joohyeon had recovered most of her memories and it's only Jongin who knows about it. Who do you think was that 'friend' who was standing outside her house when she came? Any guess? ^^ Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments! I'll love to read it!

Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting! To those who just subscribed, I'm so glad you gave this story a try! I hope I don't disappoint you! 

Oh, and before I end this author's note, I'm wondering if you think putting up a prequel for this would be worth it? It'll be shorter compared to this since it's just a backstory about how Joohyeon and Taehyung ended up together. What do you think? I'm also thinking of advertising this but my points aren't enough. Heol. Comment your thoughts in the comments! I've changed my poster too! It's not that nice but I tried my best. I changed all posters from chapter 23 onwards to mark the 'second part' of the story. ^^

Love you guys!