025

One More Day

Two days had passed since she'd departed from Seoul with seven boys and three days since Joonmyeon couldn't get a proper sleep. 

After Joohyeon not returning for ten minutes after they left the fastfood and fifteen minutes since she'd said about going to the restroom to the departure area, Joonmyeon felt the anxiety and worry building up in his chest. They tried calling her for so many times but it would always return to the voice inbox and before Joohyeon's recorded voice could even end about leaving a voicemail, they already pressed end and call again. Youngjae, who was with him all that time had already left to check on the restroom area, thinking something might've happened but the boy returned looking dejected as ever. Joonmyeon felt his blood pumping faster than usual, his palms sweating from too much nervousness as they checked how many more minutes they have 'til their boarding time.

"Ten minutes," Youngjae replied as he checked his wrist watch. He took a deep breath, his eyes scanning all over the sea of faces walking all in different directions, trying to find that particular face they've been looking for. "Hyung, I'll go look for her. She might've just lost her way." Joonmyeon nodded and said that he would stay in case she came.

But that didn't happen until they're flight number was called for boarding and Youngjae returned with dread all over his face once he found Joonmyeon all alone, probably also reflecting the expression on his face.

It was already seven in the morning but Joonmyeon still remained lying on the bed of Kris' apartment guest room, staring blankly at the ceiling. He still couldn't get a blink of sleep trying to figure out where on earth his sister went and what was already happening to her. He couldn't return home since he didn't want for their parents to know that Joohyeon was missing because he knew how chaos would ensue when they find out about it.

He recalled Joohyeon's pleading voice and the look of hesitance and anxiety on her face before she excused herself. He should've known something would happen just seeing her that way. He tried to disregard it that time thinking that Joohyeon was just being stubborn as she sometimes would be. He never expected that she really wouldn't return, whether it was intentional or not.

He heard a knock on his door before the door opened to reveal Minseok's worried face. He didn't even divert his gaze and Minseok approached him and stood at the foot of his bed.

"You didn't sleep again, did you?" The older of the two said and all he received as a reply was a loud sigh. He released a frustrated sigh in return. He understood what his best friend was probably going through but he couldn't just let him get sick because of it.

"I've prepared breakfast," Kyungsoo poke his head in and eyed Joonmyeon then Minseok who turned to him and shrugged. He then decided to enter the room and stand beside Minseok. "C'mon hyung. You cannot sulk here. You need to eat. Joohyeon won't be happy to see you like that."

"Am I a bad brother?" He asked out of the blue and Minseok and Kyungsoo's eyes slightly widened at the other's question.

"What are you saying? Of course not! You know Joohyeon would never exchange you for any brother, right?" Minseok said and Joonmyeon sighed, finally sitting up and staring at the two who took a deep breath seeing the dark circles under the male's eyes and how pale he already looked.

Before anybody could say a word, a deep voice was heard from the living room before it got louder and clearer as a tall boy stood by the doorway, waving a paper in his hand. The three males watched him as he stopped and panted before he suddenly stumbled to the front when somebody hit him at the back. 

"Ouch..."

"What are you doing there like a lamp post!" Baekhyun groaned as he rubbed his forehead. Minseok and Kyungsoo rolled their eyes while Joonmyeon eyed the paper Chanyeol was holding.

"What is that?" Joonmyeon asked, curiosity eating him up as he stared longer on the piece of folded paper. Chanyeol and Baekhyun finally stood up straight and entered the room further.

"I told you, right, that we'll go back to your house and see if Joohyeon left anything..."

"When did I say that?" Joonmyeon narrowed his eyes at them and Chanyeol sheepishly smiled, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well..."

"That's not the point, hyung. We found something. I think Joohyeon left it," Baekhyun said as he gestured to the paper Chanyeol was holding. The taller boy then handed the paper to Joonmyeon who took it and read his name written on the front before he unfolded it eagerly upon knowing it was addressed to him. He felt himself palpitating as he read through the letter. It wasn't long but not short either and it left him breathless after the last word.

The other four boys watched him, curious what Joohyeon had said as they observed Joonmyeon's face contort, his eyebrows creasing as if he couldn't understand what was written. Finally, Minseok took the courage to ask.

"What is it? What did she say?" Minseok asked.

"She wasn't kidnapped, right?" Chanyeol looked frantic and Baekhyun smacked him on the head.

"Idiot. Of course not! How could she leave a message prior to being kidnapped?" Baekhyun rolled his eyes while the taller boy pouted.

"Hyung?" Kyungsoo said after glaring at the two boys bickering.

"She...She left," he looked up at his friends' eyes, his eyes glistening with tears as he tried to hold it in and confusion swimming in his orbs. He couldn't get why Joohyeon ran away. He couldn't understand why she was so insistent on staying. He couldn't get why she's so stubborn about...finding about the past. Isn't she happy with the life she already has now? Haven't he given her all the affection she needed to fill in the empty spot she felt every time she gets frustrated about forgetting about the past? Wasn't it enough? 

He caught his head on his hands, his palm covering his face as he tried to rack his brain for answers. Kim Joonmyeon, one of the most respected bachelors of the business industry, a man who is considered to be not only smart but wise by many of his acquiantance and friends, couldn't get a probable reason for his sister fleeing away. He always remained calm and composed but right now, he can't seem to. He was so frustrated, confused, and worried all at the same time. 

They felt sad for their friend who is already like a brother to them. Minseok got a hold of the letter after Joonmyeon dropped it on the floor and his eyes read through, knowing now, at least partly, why his friend ended up almost breaking down. He squeezed the other's shoulder, trying to reassure him. The other three read through the letter too, huddled together at the side and had their eyes widening with each word they read.

Like him, they're also worried, especially after they received a call in the middle of the night, saying that Joohyeon was missing. Even those who are in another country, like Kris, who let Joonmyeon borrow his place, Luhan, Yixing, and Tao, promised to go home as soon as possible so they could to help. They all treat her as their dongsaeng; she was the youngest of them all and most of them are either the youngest in the family or an only child so they treat her like their own, and knowing her fragile condition, it makes them uneasy not knowing where she is and what already happened to her. Was she eating properly? Is she living comfortably wherever she is? Are the people she is with treating her well? Didn't she have any attack? All those questions run through their mind but none of it was answered. Reading the letter, they tried to understand what she was trying to say as they still find it confusing but it made sense when they remembered how Joohyeon didn't want to leave...to know about her past...to find herself.

"So she really left... Ahhhh! I already miss my baby!" Chanyeol said, frowning deeply. There were sighs everywhere as they quietly agree to Chanyeol. 

"We should tell this to Youngjae, right?" Baekhyun said, eyeing all of them.

"Speaking of, what is he doing right now?" Kyungsoo asked but none of them actually knew although one thing is for sure; if not worse, he would be looking the same as their friend. They heard Joonmyeon sigh, making them divert their attention back on him.

"It's going to be alright. We all know Joohyeon. She might be stubborn but she wouldn't be hasty with any decision. I'm sure she will return soon. Let's just trust her," Minseok said, trying to reassure the other who took a deep breath, trying to gain back his senses. He removed his hand as Joonmyeon finally stood up and they all stared at him, worried.

"Maybe...Maybe you're right. But..." Joonmyeon tried to force a smile on but it faded not soon after, replaced by a determined facade.

"But what?" Chanyeol asked. Joonmyeon looked them all in the eye and they knew Joonmyeon already have something up his sleeves and they smiled, happy to finally have their hyung back.

 

Youngjae wasn't any better than Joonmyeon. But compared to the latter, he wasn't in his room, sulking. Instead, he searched high-and-low, hoping to see her. He couldn't sit still in his room in their condominium when besides the fact that he was all alone, he was about to lose his sanity just thinking about where she could possibly be and what happened to her. It hadn't even been a month since they've become official and he couldn't even be a responsible boyfriend he should have been. Few weeks to their relationship and he already failed her. He knew if Joohyeon knew what he's thinking, she would tell him how wrong he is and that he shouldn't blame himself but that girl isn't anywhere around to tell him that. She isn't there to reassure him of anything and hug and kiss his worries away.

It's been three days since the incident but they still have no idea where she went. He doesn't even know if, God forbid, somebody already kidnapped her or like one of their suspicions, she ran away. Joonmyeon told him that he will do anything just to find her but no matter what, they couldn't tell it to anybody, especially not their parents. He knew he was right. If they've told them of what happened, they would already call for police and have her searched for but he wasn't sure if that was what is best. They don't even know if Joohyeon left in her own accord, and if she did, he knew that it meant that she would want to be left alone. He knew it because there had already been other occasions in the past where she would go somewhere by herself, not wanting anybody to come after her or look for her. All he hopes is that like those times, she would return in two to three days. 

It was another day of search and after hours of looking around Seoul, he knew she wasn't in the city anymore. He went home just when the sun had dipped the horizon. He plopped on his bed, closing his eyes.

"Where are you, Joohyeon? Please...come back. I already miss you," he said, hoping the wind will carry it to her. He was startled when his phone started ringing and he checked it to see a message from Chanyeol. 

Joohyeon left a letter. If you want to see it, we're here at Kris' place. 

"Letter?" Without a second thought, he stood up from his bed and dashed outside, hoping this letter will lead them to her.

 

They've separated as soon as they reached their own bus stops after riding their second bus to reach their district. They went straight home, knowing their parents were expecting all of them. It was still early although the sun was already high up, warming up the winter morning.

Jungkook chewed on his lower lip as he walked to their house. He was nervous for some reason as his eyes darted everywhere. He felt as if his every action is being watched. Is this what keeping a big secret feels like? He felt a huge relief when he finally spotted his house a few blocks away but as soon as he was in front of it, he found an unfamiliar car parked in front. His eyebrows furrowed, wondering who owned.

"Probably one of my mother's friends," he concluded as he entered the open gate. 

He found unfamiliar pairs of shoes by the foyer before he shrugged it off and decided to plaster a smile on his face before shouting, "I'm home!"

"Oh there he is!" He heard his mom, as if she was talking to someone. He saw his mom by the living room's entry way, smiling at him. "You're home."

"Ah, yeah. There's a car in front. Who owns it? And were you talking with somebody?" He asked and felt his heart beat so fast as his mom held him on the arm and told him that someone's looking for him. "Who?"

Before he could get an answer from his mom, he found his eyes slightly widening in surprise before he tried to cover it up and bow, cursing under his breath.

"I'm so damned."

 

Jimin had just alighted from the bus when he spotted Yoongi waiting a few meters away. It was already two in the afternoon and like Seokjin told them, his sister was waiting for them. It was his sister's free-day luckily, so she would be there to welcome them.

"I hope it wouldn't be too much. I don't want to carry so many things," Yoongi whined as they walked to the house. 

"I don't think so. It's just some clothes and probably snacks," Jimin shrugged as they reached the porch and rang the doorbell. It took a minute before they saw Haejin, Seokjin's sister, as she opened the gate. She looked left and right before telling them to come in.

"We look like criminals like this, you know," Yoongi said, chuckling at his own choice of humor. Jimin just rolled his eyes.

"Nothing's funny about that," Jimin replied, having a sip of his juice.

They were left at the living room area as Seokjin's sister fetched the things they will bring and as soon as they heard her, they spun their heads around, to see her carrying what looks like grocery bags and a duffle bag.

"Here. The one's inside the plastic bags are obviously groceries. Just some necessities such as instant foods and toiletries. The duffel bag contains some clothes...for Joohyeon." They saw the sadness her eyes as she smiled at them and they returned a small smile.

"Don't worry, Haejin. We'll take care of your best friend," Yoongi said, smiling widely.

"Yeah. We'll bring her back as soon as possible and we could all throw a party when that time comes," Jimin grinned.

"I know. I'm just... I hope everything goes smoothly. I really wanted to be there but I know you seven boys will be enough. Just promise me one thing," she said and the two boys waited with arched eyebrows. "Bring back my best friend, our best friend, and...make sure she doesn't get hurt because...she'd have enough of it, alright?" 

Jimin and Yoongi smiled as the sincerity in her voice and how she really cares for Joohyeon even after all this years. They nodded at her. "We will."

They talked for a few more minutes before Yoongi and Jimin decided to leave since they still have some things to prepare. As soon as the gate closed behind them, they sighed as they stared at the things they've brought. They were talking about who will bring home what when they heard a deep voice calling for them.

"Excuse me, kids?" The two looked up and they tried to stop themselves from gasping as they recognized who the man was.

 

Jongin was driving his car to meet Sehun when he saw some familiar faces at the distance, walking. He stopped his car just by the side of the street to have a clearer look and he couldn't be wrong. He was sure it was one of Joohyeon's old friends, the boys who were supposed to be with her, and that was the reason he was surprised to see two of them there, walking, before they stopped in front of a house and a girl went out, looking left and right before letting them in. Just seeing how cautious they were, he was more sure that they know something about Joohyeon's whereabouts but the question was why those two boys are here, in the city. And so he decided to wait.

He called Sehun that he would be late which the other whined at saying that he was already on his way and how long would he have to wait. He reassured that he'll be there soon but the other didn't believe him and ask what he was doing and he didn't have a choice but to promise to explain it to him later when they meet. 

He was already getting impatient after half an hour went by and was about to just leave it be when he finally caught sight of them as they exit the gate. He remained sitting, contemplating whether or not he should approach them and ask about Joohyeon since he promised to her that he would just trust her. But it was hard, not with trusting her, but on fighting the worry always building up in them. Joohyeon missing isn't already a secret to the twelve of them as Joonmyeon already contacted all of them and asked for help the same night Joohyeon called him. He felt so guilty as he lied when the older boy asked him if Joohyeon contacted him in any way but he promised Joohyeon and he couldn't break her trust. Since he'd done as far as to lie to his friend who is already a brother to him, he should at least make sure that Joohyeon is really okay. Without further thoughts, he exited his car and walked to the direction of the two boys.

He saw them carrying quite a lot and he wondered if it was some supplies they would bring but he didn't waste any minute as he knew someone was also waiting for him so he called their attention and the two looked up at him and he swore he could see surprise in their eyes before they tried to conceal with an innocent one.

"May we help you?" The one who looked more built than the other asked and he tried not to laugh at their nervous faces.

He cleared his throat to stop himself from laughing. "Ah, yes, there's something I want to ask," he said and the two just stared back at him, looking like they already wanted to run. "You're...you two are Joohyeon's friends, right?" He asked and he saw their eyes widen in surprise.

"J...Joohyeon?"

"Ah..." Jongin knew they were trying to act like fools but since they already looked like they were about to pee in their pants, he just tried to play along. "I think I got the wrong person but..." He said before he took his phone and clicked a little before he showed a picture of her which was back in America in one of their visits. The two stared at the picture and he saw one of them with his jaw tightening. Jongin doesn't know if he should still play along seeing he was in a hurry and there's something important he needed to tell them. Before he could say another word, one of the two boys decided to break his silence.

"Oh... I think she's familiar. Why?" He asked nonchalantly and Jongin was amazed at how good he acted.

"She's...how should I say this...lost? Ran away?" He said and the two seemed to freeze in their spots. He felt sorry for putting the two in such a difficult state as he knew that the two was trying to be as invisible as possible to everyone who knew them for the secret they hold but he had to, for the sake of his sanity, at least, because he, together with the other boys, are already worried about her. Clearing his throat, he locked his phone and put away in his pocket. "If you happen to see her, can you tell her something for me?" He said and the two just nodded slowly and he smiled. "Please tell her that we're worried and waiting for her and we already miss her. Also...tell her that whatever it is that she is finding, she will find soon and that we're always here for her, no matter what."

 

To say things were awkward between Taehyung and Joohyeon the entire morning after breakfast and afternoon was an understatement. Namjoon and Seokjin took it upon themselves to talk with Taehyung while Hoseok accompanied Joohyeon almost the whole afternoon. The latter seemed not to mind as Hoseok would always try to crack a joke and tell stories to make her laugh. They could see it through the window as the two sat at the porch swing while the three stayed inside.

For the first few minutes, they just observed Taehyung as he watched them with a smile on his face whenever he would see Joohyeon smile or laugh, and that was almost like ninety-nine percent of the time. 

"I'm glad Hoseok still has that power over her," Namjoon said with a smile as he diverted his look from Taehyung to the two outside. Taehyung sighed, looking down on his lap.

"C'mon dude. What are you sulking there for? You should be happy since Joohyeon's having a good time with us," Seokjin said, nudging the boy on the side.

"With you guys, yes, not with me. Can't you see how annoyed she always is when she's with me?" Taehyung said with a pout and Namjon rolled his eyes, smirk.

"What's new, Taehyung? Ever since day one, you two did nothing but to bicker," Namjoon said and Seokjin chuckled while Taehyung frowned at them, not knowing if that was supposed to make him feel good or not. Seeing that Taehyung wasn't very amused, Namjoon cleared his throat and directed it outside again and waved when Joohyeon turned their way before redirecting his attention to Taehyung who also looked out but the girl just looked away and focused on Hoseok again. They tried to hold in their laughters but the other could clearly see it and he scowled at them, walking away.

"Yah, where are you going?" Seokjin asked.

"Somewhere you two aren't," he muttered before he felt a hand grabbing his shoulder, making him halt.

"Taehyung." He sighed, looking around to meet Namjoon's serious gaze. "Isn't this our plan, your plan? We already talked about this. We're going to take this step by step--"

"But until when are we going to wait?!" Taehyung's voice rose up a little and the two was surprised at his sudden outburst. The boy shook his head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

"It's alright. We understand," Seokjin said, seeing Taehyung's sad eyes. He sighed, squeezing the latter's shoulder. "C'mon cheer up. Everything will soon be back to its place. You're not giving up, are you?" Taehyung knew he isn't giving up but he doesn't know until when could he take seeing her hurt every time just because of him. 

He wouldn't deny how everyday his heart is fluttering from happiness seeing her. Nobody knows how thankful he already is just having her near him but it also breaks him inside everytime she sees the pain in her eyes, and he can't help but blame himself all over and over again.

"If I didn't--"

"What are you guys doing?" Hoseok asked stopping Taehyung mid sentence. The three turned their way and saw Joohyeon staring at them. 

"Ah..."

"We're just teasing Taehyung. You know..." Namjoon said grinning, trying to sound convincing as he draped his arm over Taehyung's shoulder who glared at him. Namjoon looked at him as if telling him to just play along. He rolled his eyes, looking away again before he met hers who looked at them questioningly.

"Right! Who wants to eat some snacks? I'm getting pretty hungry," Seokjin said, patting his tummy, trying to divert the topic which he successfully did when Hoseok rose his hand up and shout, "Me!"

"C'mon, Joohyeon. Let's go grab something to eat!" Hoseok said before grabbing her hand and pulling her to the kitchen area. Taehyung's eyes narrowed on their hands as they passed by him and he frowned.

"Stop glaring there, and join us," Namjoon said, patting him before following the three to the kitchen as they all gathered around the counter, munching on some chips.

He watched them for a while, and he can't help but smile. "Step by step, Taehyung. We'll get there." He told himself before he joined them, grabbing a handful of chips, making Joohyeon look at him with a 'what-are-you-doing' look and he smirked to which Joohyeon rolled her eyes too. And he knew he is already a step closer.


A/N:

HIIII! How are you guys? I hope this chapter isn't boring. It's just that I thought that I should show what's happening back in Seoul since some of you might be wondering why there aren't anyone looking for them. :)

Thank you for reading! Comments? ^^