040

One More Day

"Hey. Are you not getting tired staring?"

Those were the first words she heard when her senses came back to life from slumber. 

"You know he won't. He never will." 

She stirred in her position, feeling arms numb and body stiff. Slowly, she opened her eyes, hoping to greet the sunlight but she almost fell off her chair when it was instead met with that pair of black, with a little hint of brown, eyes she was missing. She sat up, hand to her chest as she tried to calm her fast beating heart.

"W-What are you doing? A-And why a-are you..." She was stuttering and she hated herself for it, because it's Taehyung she's talking to and she shouldn't stutter stupidly like that to him. The way his eyes stayed on her wasn't helping her at all in regaining herself and calming her heart. Then there it goes--his lips stretching to form a smirk that made her heart jump out of her chest. She wanted to divert her eyes but she found herself staring at his eyes. Again.

"Miss me?" And that woke her up and she knocked him on the head, making him groan.

"You're frustrating!" She said, standing up from her seat and turning, only to be met with six pair of eyes with their owners grinning. Her face turned red. Did they all see it? She thought.

"Was it comfortable sleeping there, Joohyeon?" Jimin nodded off to where she slept a while ago and she was sure that they all saw it.

She pressed her lips together and shook her head. "No." With that, she darted out there and to her room despite hearing Taehyung's groans. She leaned on her door when she closed it and held her hand to her chest, taking deep breaths to calm it down. Then she remembered the words she first heard and her eyes widened.

"Were they talking about Taehyung?" She muttered and then her hand shot out to feel the side of her lips to see if there are drools and luckily there weren't. She grunted and hit her forehead. "What was I thinking that I slept there? And what is he even--HE'S BACK?!" As if she just woke up from her dream, her eyes widened. "But I thought..." She knows she shouldn't but a smile slowly lifted on her face. She tried hiding it by pressing it together and shaking her head. "No, I should be sad. I should be...But I'm not!" She groaned and slumped on the floor. "God, help me." 

She took her time composing herself as she wore the beanie Taehyung gave her to hide her hideous hair. She faced the door and counted to ten before pulling it open and sneakily ran to the bathroom. She doesn't know why she was doing it but she just felt so embarrassed that she can't face them. She shut the door and heaved a sigh of relief before facing the mirror and almost shrieked when she saw how messed she looked like. Her face was quite swollen and her hair as she removed the beanie looked like a bird nest.

She opened the faucet and splashed her face with the cold water, hoping to wake herself up. It was so not like her to get worried how she looked, especially not in front of the boys who probably had seen her in her worst. She sighed, shaking her head. "Get it together, Kim Joohyeon," she muttered to herself before beginning with her morning routine of brushing her teeth and washing her face. After she was done, she dried her face and comb her hair with her hand since she forgot to bring her brush with her. Doing what she did before going to the bathroom, she counted then opened the door. She could hear the boys talking and luckily, weren't in the hall so she made a dash back to her room and closed the door.

She went to her vanity table and grabbed her brush, combing her hair as she removed the beanie from her head. She jumped when there was a knock on the door and Hoseok's voice followed it, "Breakfast's ready."

She swallowed. "I'll be out in a sec," she said though she wasn't sure if she wanted to see them, especially Taehyung at all but she knew she can't hide in her room forever so with another deep breath, she walked out her room.

Cautiously, she walked to the dining area. All heads turned to her when she entered and she suddenly felt self-conscious. "Good morning?" She greeted, grimacing. She avoided Taehyung's eyes even if she could feel it gazing at her.

"Good morning, noona!" It was Jungkook who greeted her first and she gave him a small smile.

"C'mon and join us, Joohyeon," Seokjin said, gesturing her over.

"Ah... Yes," she said, half walking and dragging her feet. She doesn't know if the boys were teasing but when she reached the table, the only available seat is the one opposite Taehyung, halting her in her steps.

"What are you still doing standing there? I'm already hungry," Taehyung said, face straight as ever. It woke her up in her inhibitions and she glared at him.

"Yes, sir," she mocked. She heard the other boys surpressing their laughters.

"Ja, let's eat," Namjoon said and everybody digged in.

There were eggs, bacon, and sausages searched with a bowl of rice. Their typical breakfast. She stuck her fork to the bacon only to see someone else stick theirs too and she looked up to see Taehyung looking at her then at his fork. She was about to remove her own fork, not wanting to bicker with him after what happened that morning when he removed his and instead got another, surprising her. She looked at him as he ate the bacon with a spoonful of rice. She can't believe he didn't fight for it like he usually would. She jumped on her seat when his eyes raised to him and he pointed to the bacon.

"Aren't you getting it?" He said and she blinked.

"Oh." She pulled her fork and placed the bacon on top of her rice. The boys were as usual noisy but there's this kind of tension in the air that hindered her to talk. She can't point out what it is when all the boys are just the same. But that was until her eyes landed on the boy before her. "Definitely not him."

"What?" Jungkook asked, who sat beside her.

"Huh?" She looked at him. "Were you saying something?" He asked and realizing he heard her, she shook her head. "Nothing."

"Are you alright? Did sleeping in the dining area did things to you?" Jimin teased and she felt her cheeks turn bright red. Her eyes fell on Taehyung who at the same time looked at her and she looked away.

"Or was it because--"

"I'm alright!" She said before Hoseok could even finish.

"No, I don't think so," she heard Yoongi say although softly. She felt her face turn warm and she looked forward, only to see Taehyung's intense gaze on her and she looked down on her food. "I think I'm done," she said, her stomach feeling funny for some reason. She felt like puking. 

"But you still have some left," Seokjin said and she forced on a smile.

"I'm good. Thank you for the meal," she said, standing up from her seat. "Uhm... Jungkook, do you want some more rice?" She asked and Jungkook looked up at her for a second before nodding. "Here." She said, handing him her bowl. "I'll just...be outside," she said, smiling and scurrying off. 

"Does my food taste funny?"

"Maybe but I'm sure it's because of him."

She heard them say as she walked away from them and onto the yard. She felt the breeze hit her as soon as she opened the door and rather than it being too cold, it was slightly warm due to the beaming sun. She let out a breath and glanced back to the door before hopping down the steps. She looked around, finding a place where they wouldn't see her but found nothing because the windows overlooks the yard perfectly. When she saw the gate, her eyes lit up and she jogged over to it, shivering slightly from the cold air and quietly slipped out the gate and pulled it close. 

She heaved a sigh of relief before she sat on the steps. She could see white smoke mix with the air was she breath through . Winter it almost over but it was still so cold and there were still times that it would rain snow. She thought that maybe it was because of where they are.

"The snow probably stopped raining in Seoul," she muttered. "I'm glad I could still see it here." She hugged her legs and rested her head on her knees.

She recalled what happened just this morning and felt so stupid with what she did. She palmed her face and groaned. She was acting totally not herself and she was sure the boys noticed it. She just wish they won't ask her about it even if she's sure they already know it. It was really embarrassing to say the least and she hates Taehyung for it.

Hate. As if she could. She groaned, kicking her feet on the ground. She looks like a kid throwing a tantrum but it didn't matter since nobody could see her. The boys are inside the house and nobody was wandering the streets below her. 

"What are you doing there throwing tantrums like a kid?"

Maybe not.

She froze on her position, eyes widening. She knows that voice. She was very familiar of that that she could probably recognize it even in a crowd of people talking. She thought of what to do and on natural times, she would just shrug him off and tell him to go away but right now, all she could think about was run so that's what she did. She shot up from the step she was sitting on and made a dash down it.

"Yah! Where are you going?!"

"AWAY FROM YOU!" She shouted stopping at the end of the steps. She looked left and right and decided to take right, where a convenience was if you walk for ten minutes. She ran even if her lungs begged for rest. She reached the small convenience store half the time needed when you walk and she stopped, putting her arm on the wall beside the entrance. She panted, trying to catch her breath. She looked back, wondering if he followed her but luckily, he was no where insight. She found a chair and sat on it, taking a break. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead and she wiped it off with the sleeves of her sweater.

She doesn't know why she ran. All she knows is that she needs to get away from him and she'd rather not think why. She looked inside the convenience store and suddenly craved for ice cream but she doesn't have any money with her. She puffed her cheeks. She told herself that from then on, she will make sure she has money with her, in case she would have to do it again. Slumping on her seat, she stared blankly on the steel table when someone settled in front of her, freaking her out. She thought it was Taehyung so she was about to stand up but when a hand reached out with a bottle of water, her eyes lifted up. And in front of her, man who couldn't be older than her brother sat.

 

Taehyung ran down the steps as soon as she did and only stopped when she stopped at the bottom. When she shouted that she was getting away from him, he wondered if he was scary for her to run. He wasn't even doing anything and usually, she wouldn't ran but shove him off or tell him to go away and not the other way around. He'd like to think that it was because she's starting to develop some feelings for him since that is how she practically acted before but no matter how that thought pleased him, it was too early too assume. So he's back to asking why was she running away from him.

When she turned right, he ruffled his hair in frustration because the road was slippery and knowing how clumsy she was, he was afraid that she would slip and hurt herself. He knew that she might not want him to follow her but he can't just let her go by herself and risk her getting hurt. Running down the last of the steps, he turned to where she went and she was already out of sight.

"When did she get fast with running?" Not thinking about anything anymore, he ran after her.

He didn't stop until he saw her sitting on a chair outside the convenience store but she wasn't alone. A man was sitting before her and he felt his heart fasten. He couldn't recognize who the man was with the distance he has so he walked a little more until the man was clear to his sight. He's sure he hadn't met him before but Joohyeon looked comfortable talking to him and the man even smiled at her. Worried and curious, he approached them.

 

"You look like you need it," the man said, smiling warmly at her. She blinked, looking at the bottle then back to the man. Her parents told her as she grew up never to talk to strangers and even if she's older now, she still believes it. The man looked like he was around his mid-twenties, had a lean body and a handsome face. He looked nice but she was still weary because not all nice looking people are really nice. She was startled when the man suddenly chukled. "I'm sorry. Did I scare you?"

"H-Huh?" She said.

"Do I look like a bad man? Uhm... But all people who meets me thinks that I look nice," the man said rubbing his chin with his forefingers.

"No, no. You're not!" She said, thinking she offended him with the way she stared at him. 

The man laughed. "It's alright. That's normal. Anyway, here. Don't worry. I just bought that," he said, pointing to the convenience store.

"Thank you," she said, accepting the bottle and uncapping it. She glanced at the man before she moved her head a little to the side and drank the water. It refreshed her and her drying mouth and throat. When she was done, finishing half of the bottle, she capped it back and gripped on it as she placed it on the table.

There was a short silence and she could feel the man just watching her. She was thinking of leaving already but felt that it was rude after he had treated her with water so she just sat there quietly.

"Are you alright?" He asked, surprising her. She nodded, wondering why he suddenly asked that. "Are you sure? You don't look the okay type to me," he said and it started creeping her out. "Is there something bothering you? Like...Problems?"

"Sorry mister, but what?" She asked, bewildered. He was right that she isn't completely alright but how can he even tell when he barely knows her?

"I'm sorry if I sound like I'm meddling into your business. It just looks like you need someone to talk to," he said, smiling politely.

"I see..." She said, not knowing what to say else because he was right. She really needed someone to talk to but she isn't sure if talking to someone she barely knows is an option.

"You see, sometimes, it's better to get an opinion from someone you don't know," he said, propping his arms up on the table and looking down on the table. She found herself listening to what else he had to say, wondering what he means. "That way there wouldn't be any pre-judgements. I could listen to you without judging you at all," he said, lifting his eyes to her. "You can get an opinion or advice from a person outside of the picture, something like that." He shrugged. It had her thinking. He had a point, she knows that but how could he the proper advice if he doesn't even know her? "You try me," he added, surprising her. "If you're doubtful, just think that after this, we're not meeting again and I won't ask for your name," he said.

"Why do you want to know someone elses story?" She asked. He puffed his cheeks, making him really look cute. "Let's just say I love listening to other people." He grinned. "So what do you say?" She looked at him, still unsure if she should trust him although he looked trustworthy enough and the way he talked was really convincing as if he had been doing that all his life. "Sorry if I seem annoying. If you really don't like--"

"No. It's alright. I'll tell you," she found herself saying before she could even stop herself and she pressed her lips together after. The man smiled and nodded. "Alright. You have all my ears," he said, pulling on his ears, making her chuckle. "But keep your promise, alright?" She said and the man nodded, putting his thumbs up. "You have my words as much as you have my ears."

She found herself spilling almost everything that came to her mind, from her having an amnesia, to her want to remember, to the boys, to her brother and oppas, to Jae, then lastly Taehyung. She doesn't know why she trusted the man with so much but as she stopped once in a while to see if he's still listening, he still is as if he was so engrossed in her story. When she finished talking minutes later, the man still sat there looking at her and only blinked when he realized it was done.

"Sorry. Was it..."

"No, no. Of course not. It was actually very interesting, I want to listen more," he said, a large grin on his face. She shyly smiled because she's sure that the guy was just trying to be nice. "And I'm not telling that because I'm a nice guy. I really am interested in your story." She stared wide eyed at him and he chuckled. "I'm good with reading people, huh?"

"And it's scary," she said and they both end up laughing. She already felt comfortable with him, like she'd known him for a long. 

"So..." He said after their laughter died down. "Do you want me to tell something about it?" He asked and she thought it was nice of him to ask since most would just say whatever they wanted to say but he, he even asked permission. He also looked like a wise man, like he had gone through so many things and knows the right words to say. Like her brother and it made her miss him even if they have alot to talk about when they meet.

"Do you have something to say about it?" She asked, something to tell him that she wanted to listen to his thoughts about it.

"Well, I do have. Do you want to hear it?" He said, obviously teasing her and she playfully glared at him. "Okay, okay. I'll tell you what I think." He adjusted on his seat and leaned over the table and their nearness made her move back a little. "What about your story do you want an opinion, anyway? Is it about your unanswered questions? Your trust with your brother? Your so-called oppa's words? The seven boys? Your boyfriend? Or that boy?" He said as he counted on his fingers. She blinked, not knowing what to say. Did she say that much that he came up with that many?

"Anything," she said, not wanting to limit him and he seemed to think for a while before nodding.

"First off, I think I could understand your brother." He began and with just the mention of her brother, her heart became heavy. "It's obvious how much he cares for you and loves you. He'll do everything for you even if it means that he'll be the one hurting. But sometimes, you know, people forget that even if they love the person and want to protect them, they should also let that person get hurt to learn, to mature. In your position, your brother lied to you about having a relationship that you are still not sure if you really had. In my opinion, you should ask him about it. Confront him so that you'll understand why he did it." He paused, as if thinking about something but continued, "I think that's also the problem of your friends. The seven boys, I mean. They wanted to help you but at the same time, they're scared to hurt you because they know the consequences of it.

"They care for you as if you're their own sister, so like your brother, they want to protect you. The only difference is that there's a want to help you remember. Maybe you should talk to them, assure them you are alright. Or show them you will be." He said, shrugging. She bit her lip. Did she stand too weak in front of them? Is that why? "Everyone has their reasons," he bit the corner of his lips, "If you don't understand their ways, all you have to do is ask." She knew that but it wasn't that easy especially when from the start, they were unclear with their words. "For you oppa, he's right. He already gave you enough and I'm sure that he already said the answer. All you've got to do is stop denying." She blinked at those words. Before she could say something, he continued, as if he didn't want her to really say anything, "Then those two other boys. Your boyfriend and that boy." He his lips, as if he was hesitating. He looked at her eyes for a second, thinking before nodding. "You know you love your boyfriend," she nodded, "but you're not sure if you still love him the same and you're telling me that that other boy is making you feel all those feelings you shouldn't," he paused, pouting his lips, "Well, I don't want to instill you with anything because you might even break up with him and your boyfriend might chase me after," he said, making her chuckle a little.

"I'm just going to tell you this. I know you already know this but you probably have forgotten it so," he said, tapping on his chest where his heart is, "Listen to your heart. Sometimes, love doesn't need logic. Don't think too much about it that instead of fixing things, you're making it too complicated. If you like him then you like him. If you love him then you love him. The only question is, who do you like more, who do you love more. Try asking yourself that and you might just get your answer." He grinned and she let the words swim in her mind and make sense and when it did, she nodded.

"You're right. I'll do that," she said, smiling. He smiled back when she noticed his eyes look something behind her. She looked back and she saw that a few meters behind them, Taehyung was watching them. Her heart jumped, a reaction that almost had been natural.

"Looks like the boy is here," the man before her said with a hint of tease in his voice. She looked back, surprised that he had it figured out with just a look. She was about to deny it when he gave her pointed look, "Your mistake," he said, making her eyes wide, "Again, stop denying. Don't try giving something that is too obvious something else, if you get what I mean. It's not helping you." As if he didn't just kind of scolded her, he grinned. "I think I need to go. Took him long enough," he said, surprising her more. 

"What--"

"Bye, Ms. Stranger," he said, smiling so wide as he stood up. It was only then she saw how much he towers her if she tried standing beside him. She was too speechless that when he already turned but stopped and looked back to her, raising a finger, she was startled. "One more thing. Don't look too far," he said, a smirk on his lips before he finally turned and walked away. She blinked, wondering what he meant about that. She was about to call him and ask him what he was trying to say when suddenly, a shadow loomed over her and she looked around and was startled to see Taehyung already standing behind her.

The stranger's word played in her mind again as she stared at him. Don't look too far.


A/N: IMPORTANT!

HELLO MY LOVELY READERS! How are you all? As promised, I updated again. ^^

How is it? Who do you think was that stranger? It's for me to know and for you to find out. XD

I have some thing to say about the story. First of all, I might not be able to update again as frequent as I did for the past week because well, I'm going to be busy again. It I know but I'll still try to update at least once or twice a week. Please be patient with me. Lastly, I'm sad to say that the story is about to come to its end. I'm thinking that in about five more chapters, this will be over since as you have read, she only have a week left. But I promise you that the last few chapters will not be a crap (I hope). So there you go. I hope you enjoyed this long chapter. I'll update as soon as I can. ^^

Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing! Love you!