039

One More Day

It was already late in the afternoon when he woke up.

The box he rummaged into is still on the floor, things scattered everywhere. At one point, while staring at their picture taken at their first date, he had fallen sleep. The picture was still in his hand when he woke up. Luckily, he didn't crush it. He squint his eyes, trying to adjust to the afternoon sunlight that streamed through his window. He put an arm over his eyes, trying to remember how he ended up in his room again and when it did, a sigh escaped his lips. 

He removed his arm and raised the picture, staring at it one more time. He had spent all morning looking through the box, missing both breakfast and lunch. He was too immersed in his memories to even notice the passing time. But one thing is for sure, he didn't regret it because now, he feel light and relaxed. Sitting up, he looked around the room and noticed how his things were a mess on the floor. He bent down and picked up all of it and placed it all in the box. 

When he was sure that he'd placed everything back inside, he pushed the box to the wall but not in the corner where he kept the memories for so long, trying to escape it, trying to forget it because now, he's not afraid. He's going to take all the risk he needed to take and with the trust that he wasn't able to give her before, he will trust her words he had told him years ago and hold on to it. He will not give up on their promise. On her promise.

 

"Taehyung!" His mother said in surprise when they entered the house and found him in the living room watching some early evening show. Taehyung grinned and stood up, approaching his mom and engulfing her with a hug.

"Did you miss your handsome son, eomma?" With one more squeeze, he let go and stepped back.

"Of course, my son. But you didn't tell me you'll be home today," his mother said, gazing at his son who she hadn't seen for a while before a smile graced his lips. "How did it go? Have Joohyeon...?" A faint smile on his lips and a shake of his head was the only thing his mother needed before her eyes turned teary and she hugged her son again. "It's okay. It's okay, Taehyung." She consoled, rubbing him on the back. When they parted, Taehyung smiled despite knowing that his mom could always see through him.

"I'm alright. I knew it won't be easy, anyway," he said, smiling genuinely. His mom smiled, worried but believing her son. "I'm not giving up though. I'll do everything and make it up to her."

His mother's smile broaden before she nodded. "I know, I know. Ja, what do you want for dinner? Should I prepare your favorite food?" 

"That would be great, eomma."

When his father returned an hour later, he was as surprised to see his son as did Taehyung's mother. His father knew than to ask so he just welcomed him with a warm hug before he joined them for dinner. The dinner was filled with smiles and laughters, something they haven't done in a long time. Taehyung told them stories of what had been happening with the boys and the progress with Joohyeon. His parents would just quietly listen, nodding and talking at the right times. 

When all the dishes were cleared, Taehyung helped his mother on cleaning up the dishes and table while his father got ready for bed. He returned to his room after and just lied on bed, staring at the ceiling. He was thinking of what moves he should do next when there was a knock on the door and he sat up, letting the person in. He was surprised to see his father standing at the doorway.

"Can I come in?" His father asked and Taehyung stifled a laugh.

"Of course, appa," he said, pulling his legs up so that his father would have space to sit on but his father stopped him, teliing him that he won't be long.

"I just came to check up on you," he said and Taehyung grinned.

"You missed me that much, huh, appa?" Taehyung joked and his father threw him a playful glare. This is what he loves with his father. Despite their age difference, his father would always try to understand him and treat him not a kid but a man.

"It was actually nice not to have anybody screaming on the top of his lungs everyday," his father said and Taehyung laughed. "But it's still better having that loud voice around to lighten up the house. It was quite lonely with just me and your mother." This made him grin.

"Sorry if I had to leave you two for a long time but I'm trying my best so that I can come back soon. I just... I just need to fix what I destroyed, appa."

His father smiled, shaking his head. "Take your time, son. We understand what you're doing and we know how important it is to you. I just hope you wouldn't forget about yourself. It's okay to love someone but you should always remember to leave some for yourself because if not, you might end up broken as well." 

He knew his father was a wise man and it didn't surprise him when he said those words to him. He smiled at him and nodded.

"I'll remember that, appa."

"Ja, I'll leave you already. Your mom would sure be missing me already," his father said, winking. He stifled a laughter and nodded. "Son?" He looked up his father, "I'm sure Joohyeon will remember you soon. A mind can forget but this," his father pointed to his chest, where the heart is, "don't." With that and another fatherly smile, he opened the door but before his father could leave his room, he called after him.

"Appa!" His father turned around and he said, warmly smiling, "Thank you." His father's smile widened and he nodded. "Good night, Taehyung."

"Good night, appa. Tell eomma good night for me."

"I will."

As soon as the door closed, a sighed escaped his lips before he leaned back on his pillows and looked sideways to the frames standing on his desk. A determined smile came to his lips. He had placed some of the frames with her that he kept away, knowing that those times were over. "A mind can forget...but a heart won't."

That night, he didn't sleep. He searched up in the internet the earliest time the bus leaves and with renewed strength and determination, he got ready to go back to her.

 

She wasn't sure what time it was when she stirred awake from another dream with that boy and girl. She sat up, rubbing her eyes. The moonlight streamed through her window, casting a soft light inside her dark room. She stared at the full moon, wondering how sad it might be for the moon to not possess its own light, always relying on the sun to show it's beauty. But at the same time, the earth needed the moon to give comfort during the darkness of the night so she thought that maybe it's just how things work. Even if one thing, one person wouldn't need the other, there would always be something, someone out there who would.

Feeling dry, she stood up from her bed and quietly walked out to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. She also felt sleep leave her so it would probably take her time before she could fall back asleep if she wanted to. She looked at the time in clock in the kitchen and saw that it was only past four in the morning. She left the light off and relied on the moon to guide her around. She opened the refrigerator and was about to grab a bottle of water when she noticed the yogurt drinnk that Taehyung bought during their grocery shopping. He bought quite a lot and she knew for sure that he loved it. She wanted to stop him then but she felt too guilty when Taehyung won't talk to her and she thought she said something wrong. 

A small smile graced her lips and she shook her head. There were still a few left but since he had left, who would finish all those drink? She had no idea so after a little thought, she placed the water bottle back and grabbed one yogurt drink and closed the door. 

"He would probably go angry when he finds his drinks missing one," she thought to herself and a soft chuckle escaped her lips. She leaned on the counter and looked out the window as she drank the drink. "It does taste good. No wonder he loves it." 

She started reminiscing the events that happened for the past days, weeks. Maybe it was because of the feeling the darkness would always give or maybe because it was all she could really think of if not her family, her oppas, Jae, her unanswered questions, and the boy who just added onto the list, Taehyung. Memories played before her, as if she's back to those moments again, talking with the boys, playing, laughing. Even those moments where they just sat idle around the house flashed before her eyes. When they first went to the shopping district and she stood under the moon and star that lit up the night, staring at the calmness of the night with him by her side. The dance competition, the roses, the beanie. It all flashed before her eyes and she wished that she could go back to those moments but knew she couldn't.

She didn't notice how time flew so fast. Maybe it was because even if there were times she missed all the important people in her lives that she left, the seven boys would always try to fill it up. They would always make her feel that they are there and make everyday memorable. In turn, she tried to take Haejin's advice and made new memories with them. She didn't focus always trying to remember what she can't but on the present, on the new adventures she's spending with them. 

She tilted the yogurt drink in but it was already empty and she pouted. She wanted more but she didn't want to get one more from the remaining yogurt drinks. She wasn't sure why because there's little chance Taehyung would come back but somewhere in her heart and mind, she was hoping that he will return. It was crazy for her to think about that but no matter how much she tries to deny it, she can't. 

Sighing, she walked to the trash bin and threw it then walked to the dining area and sat down, propping her arm up and resting her cheek on it. She let herself look around the house and as she did, she remembered how her time is already limited. She only has one more week left and after that, she had to return. A sullen feeling hovered her heart and she folded her arms on the table and lied her head on it, sighing. More than that creeping sadness was the thought of how she would tell it to the boys. It completely slipped her mind when Jungkook called her to eat snacks. 

"What to do..." She muttered. 

She missed her family, that's a given, Jae and her oppas but she knew that once she returns she would have to go back to America as she had promised Joonmyeon in the letter and she didn't want it. She wants to stay in the place where she called really call it home. And a home is with her parents, Joonmyeon, and all the important people in her life, and that includes the boys as well as Haejin.

She might not remember everything but she was sure that the seven guys and Haejin was once an important part of her life. And until now, they are. Spending time them, rather than calling it knowing them for the first time, she's reliving it. There were some points when she wouldn't be surprised that one of the boys would be like this or that when supposedly, she should. She might not remember all the memories they'd shared in the past, but she was sure that it was there, that they were truly there and everything is true.

And she felt bad because she's feeling as if she was ready to exchange what she has for the past years for the past--for the people in the present for the people in the past. Her mind is in a battle because she knows that in the end, she would have to choose even if she didn't want to. What's more complicated is her heart, where she already couldn't understand who truly holds it. Sure, she still loves Jae. She misses him and she wanted to see him but she wasn't sure if it was for the reasons she had in the past or it had all changed or if the love she's still feeling for him would be enough to sustain them both and their relationship. And it scared her because she feels that she would hurt him and that's the last thing she wanted him to feel after all he'd done for her. 

Then there's that dark brown haired boy who is so annoying and hateful only that she couldn't hate him. She doesn't even know if she's making it all up in her mind that he is how she thinks he is, just to make herself sure that her heart will still be secured to one person. Taehyung is that guy she knows was annoying from the start. Just the way he looks at her and the way his lips would turn up to a smirk annoyed her. But the problem is, she isn't sure if it was for the right reasons that she feel annoyed for it.

He loves teasing her, pestering her, and driving her nuts with his stupidity but that is something that also pulled her to think of him most of the time aside from how a 4D person he is and how mysterious he is. She doesn't know if it was really Taehyung's way to haunt her even if he's not there, if it was his intention or he's just simply like that. And she hates herself because no matter what his reason is, he would still find a way to get in her mind. 

The feeling he's giving her also isn't helping at all. It just happened--her heart reacting to him in ways it shouldn't. She knew why but she also knows it shouldn't be so she would convince herself that means anything but it. Simply because it's wrong and it shouldn't what should happen. Another wrong thing is how she feels sad with him not being there even if she shouldn't. It's not even sad she's feeling. She feels empty which makes things much, much worst, especially now that she's alone in the dark when usually he would be there sitting with her. Probably the only times they would forget about their hate for each other and just talk as if they were close to begin with.

And then there's his eyes. There's something in his eyes that she can't help staring at it. The richness of it and how it would always shine when she looks at it is luring her to gaze at it more than she needed to. There was also that familiarity she can't place, as if she'd seen it countless of times before and she couldn't just remember. Sure, it might just be her imagination and it could also just because he was really a part of her life before but she was sure that she saw it somewhere before she even got to meet all of them formally during his birthday. She shivered thinking of it. Now that he's not there with them, there's a part of hert that is hoping to see those pair of eyes again.

She buried her face in her arms and groaned. She should stop thinking about him before she finally convince herself that she's gone nuts. More than how she needed to to do something with her heart, she still had to find out a way to tell the boys that in seven days, her time is up.

 

The sun had already risen and Seokjin stretched on his bed, trying to remove the sleep from his body. He rolled on the bed and grabbed the cellphone like how he usually would to check if Haejin called or messaged him. When he found no missed calls or messages, he was about to lock it when he remembered that Joohyeon used it for almost an hour the other day. He respects her privacy but he was really curious who she called. He bit the corner of his lips, thinking when suddenly the phone started ringing and he almost dropped it. 

He took a deep calming breath when he saw that it was just Haejin calling before he pressed the green button and answered it. It turns out that she was just asking how it was going and if Joohyeon was okay after she received what she gave her and even if she tried to hide curiousity and tried to act nonchalantly, he could still tell that she did something that she shouldn't have so he didn't waste time to confront her about. Haejin tried denying it at first until she finally gave up when he said her whole name, something he would just do when she wouldn't listen to him and luckily it got her. She spilled everything then and his eyes widen, surprised.

"You did what?" He said, voice slightly rising and when the bed above him squeaked, he remembered how Namjoon was still asleep and toned his voice down. "You placed pictures of us and not just us but of her and Taehyung in the bag?!"

"Can you stop shouting at me?! She will know it sooner and later and also, I warned her about it and I'm sure she would think over it before she really looks at it so can you please chill?" Haejin said in exasperation.

Seokjin closed his eyes, calming himself, pressing the bridge of his nose. "Okay, okay. I get what you're trying to say but what you did was reckless. What if she suddenly gets an attack? What will we do then?"

He heard her groan at the other line. "Fine, fine, fine! Then go and get it from the bag if you're that afraid for her to see it and get hurt! Why are you guys even so afraid of it happening when it's something inevitable? I'm worried about her, you know that and I don't want her hurt but it's part of the process and we can't do anything about it! The longer we keep everything from her, the longer she'll hurt! Damn. Just why am I not there?!"

Seokjin was silent after his sister's outburst. He was speechless because at some point, he knows she's right. They were so afraid to see her break down that instead of helping her, they're preventing her from remembering. He didn't even notice that they were doing it until Haejin pointed it out. He was sure that more than all of them, Haejin cares for Joohyeon a lot that there were times when he feels as if they're siblings and not them. They know things that they or even Taehyung wouldn't know and maybe that's also why Haejin's words turned more reasonable to his ears.

None of them spoke a word until Seokjin found his voice and said, "Alright. I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking and I didn't realize that at some way we're doing it wrong. Fine. I'll let the pictures be," he heard his sister finally sigh a relief but he wasn't done yet, "BUT! It doesn't mean what you did wasn't reckless. You should've told me first about it so I would know what to do and what not. Geez. Sometimes you could just be too careless, you know that?"

They bickered a little more before Haejin needed to go because she still has classes. When the call ended, the screen returned to the list of calls and his eyes found the number under his name since Haejin was using his phone. Hesitating, he pressed on it and read the details of the calls. The call lasted only for thirty minutes but Joohyeon only returned it when Jungkook called her and somehow it was weird. Why would she keep the phone if she's already done using it? Maybe she was just not ready to face them that's why she didn't return it yet. Right. That might be it. 

Pushing the thoughts away, he swung his feet off of the bed and stood up. He should prepare breakfast since he's already awake. To be honest, the order of who will cook was just too messed up because there were times when the boys would wake up late and Joohyeon would end up cooking in the morning even if it was their turn. Padding out his shared room with Namjoon who was still snoring on his bed, he closed the door behind him and walked to the kitchen.

He halted in his steps when he noticed that the dining area wasn't empty. There he saw Joohyeon with her head down and surprisingly, Taehyung who had his head resting on his arms and staring at her. A smirk lifted on his lips and he shook his head. He was about to call him when he raised his hand up without taking his eyes off of her, a signal he knew, in their language, means shut up. So he did, chuckling a little as he left them alone and quietly prepared breakfast. 

There's just no way talking to Taehyung, not when he's got a chance to be with her, even if she doesn't know he is.


A/N:

Hello my lovely readers! I'll keep this short because I'll try to update later. I hope this is not crappy and I hope I'm making sense. Just comment me if you don't understand something. ^^

Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing! Love you guys!