018

One More Day

The air had been awkward and tensed since Joohyeon and Jae entered a few minutes ago and Joohyeon honestly felt sorry for suddenly coming. She felt like she destroyed a fun party but a side of her weirdly felt happy upon seeing them and she doesn't even know why. She found all of them familiar though, as it was not the first time she saw them. She could recognize their faces from the record store and the Namsan Tower. She also remembered the girl as the one who approached her in the mall before she out. The weird thing was, it didn’t seem like it was just those times that she really had met them.

A cough break through the silence as Hoseok decided to open his mouth. “Hi.” It came off weird as his friends looked at him except for Taehyung who was so deep in his thoughts, staring at his can of soda. He understood him so he just left him be even though he was worried about him. “Since this is our…err…first formal meeting, let us introduce ourselves,” he began and Joohyeon smiled, nodding. When Hoseok saw it, as girly as it sounds, he felt tears on his eyes and stopped the urge from hugging her because he missed her that much and as much as he hated Jungkook that he pulled off such move, he was thankful he got to see her.

“It would’ve been better if that boyfriend of hers weren’t around.” He thought as his eyes glanced at the man beside Joohyeon. He looked away and regained his composure and smiled. “I’m Hoseok and this is Jimin, Seokjin, his sister Haejin, Yoongi, Namjoon, Taehyung and well, you probably know him, Jungkook.” He pointed to them one by one as he mentioned their name and he could see in their eyes that everything felt so awkward, and he couldn’t blame them for that because he too surprisingly felt it. He ended it off with a sly smile and the six people mentioned either gave a smile or a nod.

Taehyung was so out of it that he wasn’t even paying attention until Namjoon nudged him on the side and he looked up to him. The latter gave him a pointed look and Taehyung already got what he meant and although he knew that looking at her could cause so much emotions in him, he still looked up to her and he tried to stop himself to show any emotions as he just nodded, his eyes landing on the guy beside her a second later. Jae was also looking at him but he too wore a stoic expression but what irked him was how he sat so close to Joohyeon when he should be the one there. He took a deep breath, his hand clenching at his side as he just looked away to his drink. He felt his heart jump when he heard Joohyeon speak and he couldn't help but admit how much he missed her voice.

“Uhm… Hello. I’m Joohyeon, Jungkook's friend. Uh... Sorry for crashing." She really looked awkward and the boys wanted to tell her that no it was okay, that they were happy to see her again but they knew it was impossible. "I’m very pleased to meet all of you.” Even until then, she was still that nice and formal girl they knew as she slightly bowed her head. All of their hearts swelled at her sight and they tried hard to pretend that they didn’t know a single thing about her and smile and nod their heads. And let me tell you, it was so damn hard for them. Haejin was also almost in tears and Seokjin gave her a light squeeze on her hand.

Jae sat next to her, his eyes looking at the eight people in front of him. He knew it wasn’t their first time meeting so their faces were quite familiar. They all looked nice but the way they all looked at Joohyeon as soon as they came made his heart became uneasy. No, they weren’t looking at him like they liked her in a romantic way. It would have been better if that was it because he could immediately just say that she was her boyfriend but that wasn’t it. Their eyes spelled another feeling and that was shock.

He tried to convince himself that it was because they weren’t expecting them but the longer that they stayed in the closed area with them, the more he noticed how they looked at her and paid so much attention to her. He took a deep breath shaking the thought off, his chest a little too heavy to say anything but he knew he had to say something and at least put on a good impression because Jungkook was there and if he wanted to get on the good side of Joohyeon’s friend, then he had to be nice, even though it wasn't really him to be too friendly at first meeting. He promised Joohyeon that he would really behave and be nice to them so even if he didn't feel like it, he would do it, for her.

“Hello. I’m Youngjae but you can call me Jae. It’s nice meeting all of you,” he said, smiling as genuine as he could.

“Joohyeon and Jae… I’ll remember that,” Hoseok said grinning, trying to lighten up the mood.

Luckily, Namjoon decided to help him in what he was trying to do, and he immediately got the microphone which had been idle for a few minutes. “Well then, Joohyeon and Jae, since you’re here and we’re in a noraebang, why won’t you sing a song for us? Treat is as a…happy birthday treat to our bro here. I suppose you know it’s his birthday, right?” He said, slinging an arm around Taehyung who narrowed his eyes at Namjoon but making it as discreet as possible. Namjoon ignored him though and threw the couple a smile, handing them the microphone.

Joohyeon nervously stared at it. She wasn’t really a good singer although she liked singing. Jae on the other hand was a born singer so she knew he wouldn’t have a problem with that.

“You see… I don’t really sing,” she said apologetically and the other eight people stopped the smile that was about to show on their faces as they knew that fact and they were happy that even if Joohyeon lost her memory, she was still so much like the girl they knew. Even Taehyung’s attention was caught by it, making him miss her more.

Her heart jumped when she heard Jae saying, “It’s okay.” She looked at him and Jae smiled sweetly at her whispering, “C’mon it wouldn’t be that bad. I’ll back you up.” She pinked and she was thankful it wasn’t too bright inside the room or else it would’ve been so obvious. They both grabbed the microphone and Jimin handed them the remote to select a song.

As they did so, Jungkook nervously looked at his friends who gave him a we-will-talk-later look and he hoped that time wouldn't come. He looked at Taehyung and found him staring at Joohyeon before looking away and staring at his hands. It was obvious that he was trying to stop himself from gazing at Joohyeon for obvious reasons. He bit his lower lip, mentally smacking himself. He should’ve thought of it over and over before inviting Joohyeon. Well, it would’ve been okay if it was only Joohyeon but then, Jae had to come along, ruining everything.

Joohyeon actually told him that the night before. He was surprised and didn’t know what to answer when she said that it was okay if he would take his invitation back but he wouldn’t do that because that would just be too rude so he just said that it was okay and prayed so hard that things would just somehow go fine although it was far from what is currently happening.

As soon as he heard a song playing, his head snapped up to the TV screen, another thought coming to his mind. Joohyeon was a girl who wouldn’t sing unless forced but right then, with just what that boyfriend of hers whispered to her, she already gave in. Stopping himself from frowning, he watched as Jae smiled at Joohyeon who nervously looked at him.

“Let me see what you got.” He thought quietly to himself.  If there's one thing their high school know about their group, then that would be their talent in three areas: rapping, singing, and dancing. Girls adored them for that and he would proudly say that they were really good at it. But as soon as Jae started singing, he couldn’t deny that he was good but he wasn’t going to say it out loud. It turned out that they chose “Babo” by Juniel and Yonghwa. When it was Joohyeon’s turn to sing, she held the mic inch far from her lips as she nervously glanced at Jae who returned her a smile. A frown plastered itself to his lips because he could see how Jae had so much effect on her. It irked him because only them or Taehyung could do that but he knew he had to accept the fact that Joohyeon had another life already and it wasn't just them. 

The song ended later on and they clapped for appreciation. The awkward air was slightly diminished although the tension was still there. They tried to make it as enjoyable as possible as they sang more happy songs and play around like how they did before Joohyeon and Jae even came. They also talked to them casually. It was like they were in a getting to know stage although they knew her well so it basically applied only to Jae. Taehyung remained as quiet as possible, drinking his soda at the side, avoiding looking at her.

Joohyeon wasn’t too oblivious that Taehyung looked like he didn’t want them there and honestly, she couldn’t blame him. If anything, she felt sorry because it looked like they ruined his birthday. She wanted to talk to him but she doesn’t know how and it was really awkward for them. She was really thankful though because Jungkook made it easier for her to communicate with them.

She got to know them more but the longer they talk about themselves, the more she felt as if she knew people like them. It was as if she had met people like them somewhere and she couldn't say when and where. She pushed the thought away because she knew that if she would force herself on remembering, it’ll just end up with her having a head ache. She sighed and Jae caught on with it, looking at her worriedly as he squeezed her hand and she smiled at him, shaking her head. Jae pursed his lips, not convinced but she squeezed his hand back and finally gave in.

A little later, they were quite surprised when Haejin suddenly cupped and excused herself. It was obvious that the alcohol already took its toll on her and concerned, she stood up to follow her when Jae held her hand.

“I’ll go follow her and be back. You’ll be okay, right?” She said softly and Jae hesitated before nodding and letting her hand go.

Once it was only the boys inside the room, the tension was more evident as it turned quiet beside from the playing song which no one was singing. They just sat around the table, drinking the night away. Jae was obviously uncomfortable being around them but he tried to act normal for Joohyeon. The fact that he didn't like them a bit made it harder. Silence continued until Taehyung suddenly spoke up, surprising almost all of them, even himself. The other boys who was still sober watched, being attentive because they wouldn’t really know what could happen with the obvious tension between the two boys.

“So, how long have you two known each other?” He asked, glancing at Jae. He wore a stoic expression and Jae didn’t know why he got irked by it. Nevertheless, he answered him, “Three years, almost four.” Taehyung nodded, taking a swig of his drink.

Jae had this urge to ask him why and since he had asked him and he answered, then he felt as if he also had the right to question him so he did. As soon as he asked, Taehyung stilled, staring as the liquid in his glass before he acted normal, looking up and shrugging. The boys actually turned nervous and was ready to step in once it gets out of hand but luckily, Taehyung had it under control. “Nothing. You two seem really close.”

Jae was a bit skeptical but nodded anyway before taking a sip of his soda. “Why won’t you drink?” Seokjin said, nodding to the glass of liquor. There was an underlying meaning to it and he caught onto it almost immediately as he forced on a smile.

“No thanks. I still have to drive Joohyeon home. I can’t risk her safety,” he said. Seokjin nodded, the corner of his lips turned up. The conversation was cut when the door opened and the two girls walked back in. Haejin looked a bit better and Joohyeon accompanied her inside.

It was quiet so that when Hoseok suddenly talked, their attention was all caught by it. “You should drink more, Taehyung. It’s your birthday and you’re already legal so you don’t have to even bother about it,” Hoseok said, sounding drunk even if he was more than sober, as he placed a glass of soju in front of him. Taehyung smirked, shaking his head.

“No thanks. I’ve had enough,” Taehyung said, pushing the drink away. Hoseok continued to give him the drink before Jimin glared at him, making him stop. Hoseok knew he shouldn't have said that but he can't help but to see if Joohyeon would react and he was satisfied when she saw her glance at Taehyung, as if seeing whether or not he would thank it and when Taehyung declined, a sense of relief flashed through her eyes.

“Stop it. He isn’t gonna drink already because Joohyeon would get mad,” Yoongi slurred smirking a little as he was obviously so drunk and they all froze.

Joohyeon felt her heart beat fast as she heard the name Yoongi just said. She wondered if she heard it right and as if somebody read her mind, Namjoon said, “Sorry for our friend. He meant Jooyeon. She’s…a very close friend of ours. She—“

“Jooyeon? No. Close friend? She’s Taehyung’s girlfriend! What are you saying, Namjoonie?” The room turned really quiet after that before Hoseok laughed it off and said, “Geez. This boy have had enough of alcohol for tonight. He’s already saying nonsense stuff. Sorry.”

Taehyung wanted to smack his friend’s head because of carelessness but he couldn’t obviously blame him with how drunk he is that moment. But it didn’t lessen the heavy feeling in his chest as he felt someone looking at him. His eyes flew up to that person who looked shocked for a second before looking down on her lap. He gulped, looking away.

“I guess it’s already the end of the party for all of us before anybody gets anymore drunk like this guy here,” Seokjin said, trying to ease the situation. Jungkook agreed immediately and soon enough they were already gathering their things to leave.

As soon as they all got out of the place, they bid goodbye with Joohyeon and Jae leaving first. When they did, Taehyung let out a loud sigh, looking at his hyung.

“What were you even thinking you said that!” He knew it was of no use seeing that Yoongi was already knocked off with his arm around Namjoon. Jungkook kept quiet, hoping not to get any attention when Seokjin suddenly called him, making him stiff on his place.

“Y-Yes?” He stuttered and found everyone’s eyes on him, even Yoongi had his half-lidded eyes on him that fluttered close almost immediately. He winced at how they looked like they were drilling holes on his head before he finally sighed out loud. “Let me explain, okay?”

“And what would your explanation be?” Hoseok said, his arms folded over his chest.

He sighed. “I’m sorry okay. I didn’t know this is what will happen. I mean, it only supposed to be Joohyeon but her brother wouldn’t allow her to go out without that boyfriend of hers. I couldn’t really take back my invitation because I know it would be rude and it could hurt her feelings. You understand what I’m saying, right? I just did this because I know you guys missed her and since I already had the chance to get close to her, I found it was good way for you guys to introduce yourself. I…” He trailed off not knowing what else to say.

Silence ensued before Namjoon sighed. “This is enough for the day. Let’s all go home and get some rest. We’ll talk about this some other time, got it?” Nobody said a word as some just nodded.

 

 

Taehyung got home later that night. It was already past twelve midnight when he stepped in his room. He was so tired that he dropped to his bed almost immediately as he entered his room. He closed his eyes, relaxing himself as memories of that day’s event took over his mind. His heart beat fast when he remembered Joohyeon’s face and when she smiled and laughed at his friends’ jokes. He didn’t join their conversations because he was afraid that he might not be able to hold himself back on saying anything that could give anything away. He was just happy to see her looking fine. Although Jae’s presence really did irk him, he couldn’t deny that the guy really did love Joohyeon and the thing was Joohyeon looked like she did feel the same towards the other, and damn did that hurt.

He grunted as he opened his eyes staring at his ceiling as questions entered his mind. 

Should he give up? Was he just deceiving himself that they still stood a chance? That he could still bring the past back? Was it just wishful thinking because he loved her that much to want to let her go?

He closed his eyes once more and tried to sort things in his mind. He wasn't really mad at Jungkook for bringing Joohyeon. Maybe at first because it took him by surprise but he couldn't deny the fact that she was the person he wanted to see for his birthday so he was happy. He hoped though that it was like before, where he could lay on the grass with her, his hand tightly wrapped around hers, and stare at the sky by the Han Gang Park while talking about anything for the remaining hours of his birthday. 

His phone began buzzing, snapping him out of his thoughts as he grabbed his phone and received a voice mail from Jungkook. He listened to it as he pressed the phone to his ear.

"Taehyung... Sorry if your birthday party was ruined but you had fun right? Uhm... It wasn't really what it should've happened. I mean, that Jae guy shouldn't even be there. I'm really sorry because he also had to be there. I thought that maybe if I brought her there, patching things up would be easier for all of us. I don't know. I might be wrong but please don't give up. I know you and probably you are thinking of that as of this moment." 

A dry laugh escaped his lips because Jungkook was right. It wasn't a surprise since they almost know each other like they were brothers.

"And I'm telling you, don't. You promised right? We also made ours so stay true to your words. Fight for her. I could feel it hyung. Remember what I told you before? My hunch just got bigger when I got to talk to her two nights before and after this night, I'm really sure. She wants to remember, hyung. And let's help her. Please."

That was Jungkook's last words before he said happy birthday again and ended the voice mail. He let go of his phone, and closed his eyes.

You promise right? We also made ours so stay true to your words.

She wants to remember. 

Those words repeat itself in his mind until he felt his body giving away and he fell asleep, muttering the word, "Promise."


A/N:

HELLO HELLO GUISE!

Back for another chapter. Ugh, honestly I feel like this chapter is crappy. Heol. I tried my best to revise it over and over. I hope it was okay. Please wait for the next chapter though. Let's say that it's really the start? :)

Thank you for reading! I love you my dear readers! <3