027

One More Day

Joohyeon kicked on the ground, sending some snow flying as she walked. Ahead of her, a dark brown haired boy walked with his hands tucked inside the pockets of his jacket. Only the crunching of snow beneath them and the breeze were the only sounds heard.

It came as a surprise to Taehyung when somebody suddenly stopped the gate from closing and more when he saw who the person was. They threw each other the same question but nobody of them answered the other until he just waved it off and spun on his heels and walked away. He didn't really want to leave her alone but it'll appear really weird if he'd wait for her so instead, he made sure to walk at a slow pace and listened for her footsteps. He risked a glance and found her looking on the ground and the footprints she's making. A smile came to his lips. She never changed, he thought. His eyes slightly widened when she looked up so he looked forward immediately. 

It had just been minutes since they left the house and they were just a few meters away but it felt like eternity. He was itching to walk by her side and hold her hand but he knew he had to stop himself. He wanted to say something but everything was just stuck in his throat. It's as if they were really back in middle school, where all he did was because he loved seeing her annoyed expression. All the other things he wanted to say other than those jokes and teases were stuck in his throat, just like now. Suddenly something cold and wet hit his back to his lower body, making him stop from walking. He heard a gasp from behind and he was sure that it was none other than Joohyeon.

"I'm sorry! I--"

"Yah!" He said, turning to face her. He saw her surprised expression and immediately felt bad but he stopped himself. He can't soften now. "What do you think are you doing? That was cold!" 

A frown came to her lips. "I said I'm sorry okay. I didn't mean it. If you just walked-- YAH!" A ball of snow hit her arm and he smirked. She brushed off the snow from her parka and glared at him.

"Let's be fair, huh," Taehyung said, shrugging his shoulders. She pressed her lips in a thin line before she walked past him. Taehyung was shocked for a moment, wondering if he really did anger her because she did seem so but as far as he remembered, Joohyeon doesn't get mad easily. Just when he was about to approach her to apologize, a ball of snow hit his chest, surprising him. He looked up and saw Joohyeon smirking at him.

"You hit me with a ball of snow then I'll also do so it'll be fair," she said. Taehyung's mouth went ajar before a smirk came to his lips.

"You want to play that game, huh?" Taehyung said and her eyes widened, making her step back. "I'll give you until the count of three to run. One..." Taehyung began and she didn't know whether or not he was joking or not. He bent down and grabbed a heap of snow to his hands.

She gawked at him. "Are you serious?"

"Two... Do you think I'm joking? There's one thing you have to know about me, Kim Joohyeon," Taehyung said, a smirk still on his face. "I'm a man of my words."

As soon as those words made sense to her, she froze on her position. Series of events played in her head but none of it made sense. She could hear someone say 'He's a man of his words so don't worry' and another say 'You know me right? I'll do it when I say it.' She was pulled out of her thoughts when the cold ball of snow hit her on the leg.

"What..."

"Three." Her head snapped up to look at him and a smirk was still there. She felt a weird feeling building in her stomach as she stared at him. It was as if that smirk on his face was something she'd seen plenty of times, something that was directed to her countless of times but it didn't make sense to her. Nothing made sense. "What are you doing, Kim Joohyeon? Don't tell me you're backing down," Taehyung said, oblivious of the feeling he'd just placed on the girl.

Hearing that, she shook the thoughts away. She faced him with a smirk, making Taehyung's heart jump. "There's one thing you have to know about me too," Joohyeon bent down, grabbed a handful of snow and made it to a ball, "I'm a person who never backs down."

 

They don't know how long they've been throwing each other balls of snow until they collapsed on the ground, panting. The coldness was also seeping through their outer wears but none of them seemed to mind it. Silence surrounded them other than their heavy breathing.

Joohyeon never felt so carefree and happy since that day. She couldn't even believe that she'd been sharing that moment with the boy she never really liked or got along with. Taehyung on the other hand missed that feeling. It's been so long since he had the chance to be with her for that long. He didn't even thought that a time like that will come so soon. The last time he'd play with her in the snow was her last Christmas with them and that was three years ago.

He turned his head to the side and stared at her. She had a soft smile on her lips and her cheeks were turning rosy probably due to the exhaustion and the coldness. He scanned her face and he had to stop himself from reaching out and caressing her soft skin.

"Do...Do you remember anything?" He found himself asking. Joohyeon was taken aback but she turned her head to the side to face him and was surprised by the distance their faces had. They stared at each others eyes, both hearts beating rapidly inside their chest. Taehyung's eyes landed on her soft pink lips. It was so inviting that his head slowly leaned in, forgetting how the girl in front of him was technically no longer his. 

Joohyeon couldn't pretend that she didn't know what was about to happen but she can't understand why the boy before her was doing what he was doing and why she couldn't even move when she should've. She knows very well that if she wouldn't do something, she would be doing something that could hurt Jae but her body wasn't cooperating with her and she hated it. To her relief, Taehyung turned away and sat up. She stared up at him and found his cheeks so red like a tomato. She can't tell whether it was because of the coldness or for other reason but she was glad he did a favor for both of them by sitting up and stopping whatever was about to happen.

"Maybe we should go back," he said, standing up. He brushed the snow off his clothes and hair as Joohyeon sat up.

"Y-You're right. They might be looking for us now," she stuttered. She hoped that Taehyung wouldn't think it was because of what happened a while ago but because of the breeze. She was about to stand up by herself when Taehyung reached his hand out. She stared at it and back up at him. He was looking elsewhere. 

"Just take it. It's not like I'll do something," he muttered.

"Right." Joohyeon hesitantly took his hand before he pulled her up. Once she was up on her feet, she immediately pulled her hand away and brushed off the snow that stuck to her. Taehyung cleared his throat before nodding of to the direction of where they came from. "Let's go."

They walked with Joohyeon ahead and Taehyung wondering when he could walk by her side once again. 

 

It took them ten minutes to return back. The sun was already slowly giving light to their surroundings. Joohyeon pushed the gate open and walked in. Taehyung followed, closing the gate behind him. He was surprised when suddenly, Joohyeon stopped in her tracks.

"T...Thanks...for today..." She said so soft but enough for Taehyung to hear. 

A smile came to his lips. "That isn't for free," he said. He doesn't know if she heard it but if she did, she pretended not to hear it and walk inside the house. He smirked, shaking his head. Typical of you, Hyeon, he thought as he followed her.

 

The breakfast was oddly quiet as the three guys observed Taehyung who looked like he had the biggest appetite that morning and Joohyeon who looked so flushed in the face. The three exchanged looks but no one knew what was up. When they woke up that morning, they already saw the table set up for breakfast. It was Taehyung who woke them all up and just with that, they knew that something was up.

"Did something happen that we don't know?" Seokjin asked as he looked at the two.

"No." "Yes." Joohyeon narrowed her eyes at Taehyung who smiled innocently at her.

"O...kay. What's really true?" Namjoon asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing happened," Joohyeon said, shaking her head. Taehyung was about to deny it again when Joohyeon kicked him under the table. He flinched and glared at her but Joohyeon just gave him a stern look, as if saying 'shut-up'.

"Why do you even have to lie to them, huh, Joohyeon?" Taehyung said, teasingly.

"What?!" Joohyeon said, face turning red.

"You two are really weird this morning," Seokjin said, nodding his head.

"What really happened, Joohyeon? You know we won't get mad," Hoseok said, grinning and Joohyeon felt like punching Taehyung. There's no way she'll tell them what happened, especially that.

"She sneaked out and walked around the area," Taehyung said, grinning as he bit on his sausage. Joohyeon's eyes widened at him.

"Yah! You also sneaked out!" Joohyeon retorted.

"But I'm a guy and you're a girl."

"ist."

"It's not being a ist, my dear Joohyeon. It's being careful. We don't want anything happening to you right?" Taehyung said, smiling so innocently that Joohyeon just wanted to kick him on the arse. She was already red in the face and Taehyung was enjoying it. He wanted to pinch her cheeks but he guessed that seeing her react to him was enough for him, for now.

Seokjin, Namjoon, and Hoseok looked at each other and shake their heads with a lopsided smile. Here we go again, they all thought as they continued on with their meals.

 

"I'll be fetching them at bus stop. They said they are near," Seokjin said as he wore his thick jacket.

"Can I come?" Joohyeon asked as she turned around the couch.

"I guess you can..." Seokjin said, nodding. Taehyung gave him a look as if saying 'say-no'. "But I think it'll be best if you stay here. It's already hard...you know...if you get what I mean," Seokjin said, trying to make all the excuses he could. Joohyeon looked thoughtful for a while before she finally nodded. 

"Okay. I understand," she said, smiling a little, a little disappointed. Seokjin gave Taehyung a look and he smiled widely, mouthing a 'thanks'. 

"Don't worry. Hoseok and Taehyung will keep you company," Seokjin said, ruffling her hair. She smiled and nodded. With that, Seokjin and Namjoon bid them good bye and left them all alone.

"What are we going to do now then?" Hoseok asked as the three of them were left in the living room. Joohyeon jut her lower lip out, shrugging. Taehyung just shrugged his shoulders. "Ah!" Hoseok suddenly shouted, making the two look at him. "Tell us stories, Joohyeon," he grinned.

"Stories...?" Joohyeon asked and Hoseok nodded, smiling.

"Yeah. The life in America. How you coped up there and everything. If it isn't much, I want to know how you felt when you woke up after...you know," Hoseok said being careful with his words.

"There's really nothing interesting..." She said, scratching her neck.

"That's impossible! C'mon. We'll tell you stories in return if you tell us," he said.

"What we? Only you," Taehyung said. 

Hoseok glared at him. "When I said we, it's we." Taehyung shut up while Joohyeon bit back a smile. It amazed her how Hoseok could chaHoseok turned to her again and smiled. "So...?"

Joohyeon thought. She went back to the time she woke up on the hospital bed and how his brother's words broke her but at the same time gave her hope. It was really an event she won't forget.

 

She heard someone say 'I love you Hyeon. Yesterday, today, and forever will' before different voices overcame that small voice at the back of her mind until it was gone. She could also hear the beeping of a machine just near her and her nose could pick the smell of medicines mixed up in the air.

"I miss Joohyeon. When will she wake up?" She heard a low voice say.

"I'm sure she will wake up soon. Let's all just be patient with her," another voice say.

"When she wakes up, I'll hug her so tight--"

"She's waking up!"

She heard shuffling of feet and felt presence near her. Her finger twitched and she flinched when she tried opening her eyes. 

"Joohyeon, are you awake yet?" She could tell that it was her brother. She slowly opened her eyes, meeting the worried eyes of Joonmyeon. "Joohyeon? Can you see me?" She tried to talk but felt dry and it hurt. 

"W-Wait here. We'll call the doctor!" She could tell that it was Tao. All of her oppas continued to ask her if she was okay, how she was feeling or if she needed anything. She wasn't able to anser anything though as she tried to concentrate on her surroundings. Everything still looked blurry and her mind still felt fuzzy. A few minutes later, a doctor assisted by nurses came rushing inside her room. Her oppas moved aside and made way for the doctor.

He asked the typical questions: How she was feeling, can she hear him, can she see him, does anything hurt. He checked her pulse and the nurse beside him took down whatever he said. Doctor asked who's the closest relative was and Joonmyeon raised stepped up and the doctor said that he wanted to talk to him. He looked hesitant but Joohyeon afforded a small smile, making him relax a little before Joonmyeon gave her hand a soft squeeze and kiss her forehead before he exited the room.

Her oppas all looked happy to see her awake. They told her how much they missed her and how they have been waiting for that day to arrive. A question suddenly came to her mind and she tried to croak it out.

"H-How long--" She couldn't finish her question but all the boys understood her and gave her a small smile. 

"A week and a half," Kris answered. She was surprised. She tried to remember what happened, why she was there, but nothing came to her mind and it frustrated her.

"W-What happened? I--" Her voice kept on cracking and the boys felt their heart squeeze in pain. They looked at each other. They don't know if they could tell her or if they are in place to say anything at all.

Finally, Minseok decided to break the silence. "Don't you remember anything?" Joohyeon tried so hard to think but nothing really came to her mind but a head splitting head ache. She clutched on her head, groaning in pain, making all of the elven boys panic. 

"Joohyeon? Joohyeon!" Luhan said, holding Joohyeon by the shoulders. Suddenly, the doctor and Joonmyeon burst in the room. 

"What happened?!" Joonmyeon asked. 

"We...We don't know. She just..." Sehun stuttered. The doctor told them to move away and they did so. The doctor instructed the nurse to inject a fluid to the tube connected to Joohyeon and a few minutes later, Joohyeon calmed down. The boys watched worriedly; Tao was already crying, while Baekhyun and most of the gyus were on the verge of tears. After it was injected to her, everything turned black again.

 

She woke up later to find the room more quiet than it was when she woke up a few hours back. She found her brother bent over her side, sleeping. She looked around and found Luhan, Chanyeol, Jongin, Kyungsoo, and Jongdae sleeping by the couch, leaning on each other. She tried to push herself up on her bed without waking Joonmyeon up but his brother immediately stirred awake and stared wide eyed at her.

"Joohyeon!" It woke up the other five as they sat up immediately.

"Joohyeon? What happened to Joohyeon?" Chanyeol said, seeming to be out of his mind still. She smiled a little. She felt a lot better than a while ago when she woke up.

"Are you feeling better?" Joonmyeon asked. The other five boys had surrounded her. She nodded her head.

"I can't...What happened..." She asked. The boys didn't know how to answer her as they smiled apologetically at her. Luhan nodded at the four boys and they got the message.

"Your brother and you should talk. We'll be back, okay?" Luhan said as he kissed her forehead and they walked out the room. Once they were out the room, she faced her brother and even if Joonmyeon tried to look okay, Joohyeon saw right through him and she reached for his hand.

"Oppa...?"

"Joohyeon, don't stress yourself out too much with what I'm going to tell you, okay? It'll not be good for you," his brother said and she nodded her head, assuring him. He took a deep breath, trying to form the right words but how can you actually tell a person that he or she is suffering from a retrograde amnesia without hurting them? "I...If you can't remember, y...you got into an accident. You were on your way home..."

"What happened to Mr. Kang?" Joonmyeon pressed his lips on a thin line and Joohyeon felt like crying. She shook her head and Joonmyeon had to calm her down.

"Joohyeon, please, don't do this."

"But oppa, he...he...passed away b...because of..."

"No, don't say that. It's not your fault. It's nobody's fault." But nothing seemed to console her. "Joohyeon, please stop crying. It won't help in your recovery if you get stressed." Even Joonmyeon was on the verge of tears but he had to stop himself and stay strong for his sister.

"I...Is something wrong...w...with m...me?" She asked, sniffling.

Joonmyeon shook his head, his eyes widening. "No! What are you saying. Nothing's wrong with you. T...This is only temporary. Don't think that way."

"Then what is it...?" Joohyeon asked.

Joonmyeon tried hard to look her in the eyes as he said, "The accident affected a part of your brain responsible in holding your memories... The reason why you suddenly passed out a while ago because you...your brain was stressed when you tried to force yourself to remember what it cannot..." Joohyeon knew what his brother was saying but she couldn't accept it. She can't. 

"Oppa... This can't be... I cannot forget... I can't... How about my friends... Why can't I... I can't remember them. Oppa... OPPA!" She felt as if her world broke down before her.

 

A few days later, when she had calmed down and was slowly accepting the fact that she forgot some things from her past, her parents and brother talked to her about bringing her to America. She was happy, of course she was, but she felt hesitant on leaving her life in Korea. 

"It'll help you move on. You'll create new memories there, won't you want that, honey?" Her mother said as she caressed her hair. 

"Of course I want new memories. But mom, I don't want to completely forget my life here," she said honestly.

"You're not forgetting about it, Joohyeon. You're only moving forward," her mother said. She took a deep sigh. Maybe her parents is right. Maybe her brother is right. It'll be best for her if she just moved on. After all, trying to remember the past only hurt her and the people around her. Every time she gets attacks, many people who loves her gets hurt too and she didn't want that. Finally, after much pursuation, she finally agreed to them. She just hopes it really was for the best.

 

They watched Joohyeon as she told them her story and even if Taehyung pretended not to be interested, he was listening intently, every word piercing through his heart. If what Joonmyeon had told him that day of her celebration already stabbed him a million times, what Joohyeon is telling them right now was killing him. He swallowed the lump that formed in his throat many times. He kept on holding back the tears that was about to fall that it hurt.

Joohyeon was about to say how she'd met Jae met Taehyung suddenly stood up from where he was sitting, catching both Hoseok and Joohyeon's attention.

"I--I need to use the bathroom," he said, avoiding their gazes. He turned away and walked to the bathroom. Hoseok knew why and he knew better than to question him so he just let him be and smiled at Joohyeon who watched Taehyung as he walked away. Joohyeon smiled back when she noticed Hoseok looking at her. They weren't able to continue though as they heard a car pulling up outside.

Hoseok and Joohyeon got up on their feet and while Hoseok raced out to help Joohyeon looked back to the bathroom door. Is he okay, she thought but quickly shrug it off. He's just using the bathroom, what's wrong with you Joohyeon, she thought, shaking her head. She followed Hoseok out the door, leaving Taehyung alone.


A/N:

HI! How are you guys doing? I just want to say thank you to everyone of you who still continues to support me. And to my new subbies! Thank you for giving this story a chance! I hope you enjoy it. ^^

A little TaeJoo (?) moment? Kekeke. Share your opinions on the comment! I'll really love to read it! :)

Thank you for reading! ^^

hottttt